What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today's food

Breakfast: Egg mayo (2 egg plus Hellmanns) on crackerbread
Lunch: Probably a chunk of cheese
Dinner: the second portion of yesterday's chicken, peppers, aubergine and cherry tomatoes testable
Dessert: the last of this batch of baked rhubarb with Greek yoghurt
Drinks: BDC, SSW, SEST

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Loving that elision. On a serious? note I am becoming very certain that I need about 6 NEs with small amounts of protein after an EE (exercise event). I know this WOE implies snack bad but my body seems to disagree strongly. Couple of baby bells, h/b egg or similar after exercise bike/weights/long session of lawn mowing is really what my body is clamouring for and I think denying it is now becoming the problem not the solution. So NE after EE mat be the new black.

That makes perfect sense to me.

There was a time, when I was first on keto, that I had 3 meals a day, and was sllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyyy losing weight (around 1/3 pound a week) but over the year it added up to a pleasing figure.

Then I started to change stuff around, and went into a few more experiments (IF, varying carbs, GF, trying to beat dawn phenomenon, etc. etc.) and the weight loss stalled. For about 4 years.

Maybe I should try a small breakfast, regular times, again.
Although I must admit I would much rather just forget all about food until at least lunch time.

Yesterday:
No NE1
NE2: prawns in garlic pickle cream
NE3: cheesy mince, with red wine and herbs
no choc

Today:
No NE1
NE2: cheesy mince with red wine and herbs
NE3: will probably be pate, or chicken soup - unless my steering wheel lurches uncontrollably and I do a wheelspin into that place that does the fab mixed grills... :nailbiting:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a brekkie/brunch around 10.15. 2 baby bels, double dunnie as 4 crackers all well buttered and a see through slice of corned beef - surely minimal carbs there. 15 mins walking and tidying garden, 35 mins cutting grass including a few slopes. 10 mins rest then 2 hr test 6.1 - same as yesterday with no brekkie. I think the EE then NE pattern seems to be what suits my body best - .5 rise from fbg 5-5.5 hrs ago is surely not a horror show or is it?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m thoroughly enjoying the new meal names and I shall adopt NE1 etc immediately.
@Chook I’ve found the same, by preference I’d have 2 NEs at mid morning and mid afternoon. That doesn’t help the good ole dp though and doesn’t suit my Mr C coming in from work time. Not being able to eat like that has meant a constant shuffling and tweaking which is a bit frustrating.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m thoroughly enjoying the new meal names and I shall adopt NE1 etc immediately.
@Chook I’ve found the same, by preference I’d have 2 NEs at mid morning and mid afternoon. That doesn’t help the good ole dp though and doesn’t suit my Mr C coming in from work time. Not being able to eat like that has meant a constant shuffling and tweaking which is a bit frustrating.
I have always had the same issue with OH coming in to eat at 8pm and the only time of the day for us to eat and talk together. Though I suspect I have slipped into portions that are bigger than advisable. Isnt it a constant battle to get things right? And then theres the chocolate and G&ST! I think I need 2 SNEs and 1 NNE (smaller and normal).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So a new name is born. Just tested after EE2 - 55 mins hard grass cutting and then making kitchen gleam for viewers - 5.1 with no NE2. Weirdly BG2 and BG3 same as yesterday without NE1 yesterday with NE1 today no NE2, yesterday NE2. Go figure. Soon off for EE3 dog walking while viewers do what viewers do then back for NE2; something with avocado, mackerel and h/m mayo - goodness knows how I fit in NE3 but will defo be EE4.:angelic:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So a new name is born. Just tested after EE2 - 55 mins hard grass cutting and then making kitchen gleam for viewers - 5.1 with no NE2. Weirdly BG2 and BG3 same as yesterday without NE1 yesterday with NE1 today no NE2, yesterday NE2. Go figure. Soon off for EE3 dog walking while viewers do what viewers do then back for NE2; something with avocado, mackerel and h/m mayo - goodness knows how I fit in NE3 but will defo be EE4.:angelic:

Good luck with the viewings. Its something I really, REALLY hate and probably the main reason we still live here.

About your grass cutting - I could lend you my dogs if you like. We haven't got grass any more because the two boys' version of playing 'disappeared' it the first day after the younger one moved in. It saves on lawn mowing but doesn't look quite so nice. We now have raised beds with slate where the grass used to be and a big heavy duty fruit cage for the fruit and veg.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee with cream and a couple of pieces chocolate first thing. I was up very early today.

But went in garden to replant a couple plants before breakfast. Unfortunately reflux won and I had to leave the plants. It put me off chocolate rest of day.

Breakfast was eggs and cheese a couple hours later. About 8 am

Drinking was black tea today

Lunch was some pork with spoonful branston pickle coleslaw. It was around 11am.

I wanted to nibble something so opened a bag of pork scratchings. Cat finished them off.

Next meal 2 slices silverside beef and spoonful cheese coleslaw.

Just finished that now 3 pm

Still drinking tea today.

I have eye laser procedure/op tomorrow. So am tensed up over it.

Prepared some snacks to put in bag for tomorrow...cheese, boiled eggs, bacon bits.
And I put some glucose tablets in my bag. I have never had a hypo and can’t see that happening tomorrow, but just in case.

>^..^<

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used to have it but it slowly faded away after about six months on low carb. I used to virtually live on Gaviscon. Yuck. Nowadays i only get it if I'm very stressed - which i imagine is how you are feeling about tomorrow. Big hug coming your way. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the viewings. Its something I really, REALLY hate and probably the main reason we still live here.

About your grass cutting - I could lend you my dogs if you like. We haven't got grass any more because the two boys' version of playing 'disappeared' it the first day after the younger one moved in. It saves on lawn mowing but doesn't look quite so nice. We now have raised beds with slate where the grass used to be and a big heavy duty fruit cage for the fruit and veg.
I love grass cutting - I was in the wrong job for 36 years. We have 2 dogs (1 by end of tomorrow) raised beds, a chicken area and 15 fruit trees. Wherever we go there must be grass to cut, absolute must.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I love grass cutting - I was in the wrong job for 36 years. We have 2 dogs (1 by end of tomorrow) raised beds, a chicken area and 15 fruit trees. Wherever we go there must be grass to cut, absolute must.

Oh no, I'm so sorry about you losing you dog. x

Maybe you should apply to the Parks Department for a job. :)

My absolute must for any future house move will be a south or west facing reasonable size garden.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to have it but it slowly faded away after about six months on low carb. I used to virtually live on Gaviscon. Yuck. Nowadays i only get it if I'm very stressed - which i imagine is how you are feeling about tomorrow. Big hug coming your way. :)

I do have prescription meds for it, but it still doesn’t allow me to eat much in the way of carbs. I also buy Pepto-Bismol.

Thank you very much for Big hug.

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always had the same issue with OH coming in to eat at 8pm and the only time of the day for us to eat and talk together. Though I suspect I have slipped into portions that are bigger than advisable. Isnt it a constant battle to get things right? And then theres the chocolate and G&ST! I think I need 2 SNEs and 1 NNE (smaller and normal).

Yes, a constant battle, and as soon as you think you’ve cracked it the goalposts move again. I agree its easy to slip into larger portions too. Another G&T is called for!

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good idea to take dogs out of the way while viewings happen @ianpspurs it surprising how many people are scared of dogs and it puts them off as soon as they come in the front door. We used to hide all evidence too - dog bed shoved away in neighbour’s garage. I’m really sorry to read that you will only have one dog by end of tomorrow Is it the setter or the lab?
@Chook our old dog, a border collie made very short work of our lawn in our last place too.
@gennepher good luck for tomorrow, no wonder the reflux is back with a vengeance. Good idea to pack some lc snacks.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BibaBee - so sorry to read about Mr B. I do hope today brought positive news particularly after all these injections.
@Goonergal - it was a weird one. I'd almost decided to try SF Jello next time but I liked the making of this SF jelly. It's a powder, you mix with 100 mls cold water then add another 400 mls boiling water, stir and that's it. It says no refrigeration and true it sets really quickly but it tasted nasty due to the sweetener. So into the fridge it went and the aftertaste slowly disappeared. Food wise I've gone thermo nuclear @Goonergal!
Yesterday - Wednesday Bed 6.2 FBG 6.1
B. TAG with ADOC. 2 mini baby bells.
L. Boiled egg and another baby bel.
D. @Goonergal special - beef short rib. Did it in the IP though. Had an assortment of green veggies needing used so I bunged them in the IP with an onion and browned the short rib. Knocked together a gravy with one of these knorr strong beef stock pots, a vegetable one, Tamari soy, Lee & Perrins, couple of bay leaves, garlic, red wine and seasoning. 45 mins under pressure then slow release. Had it with cauliflower mash.
Ran out of jelly so had some raspberries, blackberries and cream. 1 bit of Montezuma black forest.
Today - Thursday
Bed 6.2 FBG was also 6.2. Gardeners arrived early morning for some serious shrub trimming. Still hot but nice to see so many of the kids in their school shorts and short sleeve shirts. Got to Aqua today as well.
B. TAG with ADOC. 3 pork, tomato and mozzarella sausages , 1 rasher back bacon, fried egg.
L. Nothing
D. Will be yet another beef short rib with cauliflower mash.
I've made another jelly but following on from the last one it is going to spend 2 days in the fridge.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs what a sad dog walk for you today. Hugs. Do you and Julie have to go out while estate agent shows them round. Thats what happens here so at least I never get to see/hear disappointed looks/comments. Then the agent leaves me a postcard with feedback. I quite like it.
Todays NEs as follows:
NE1: Usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x 2. (Most enjoyable NE if the day).
NE2: Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, mayo, corned beef.
NE3: Will be roasted aubergine, tomato, red onion with olive oil and Italian herbs.
Probs a G&ST after watering before supper. Will try to stay away from the Lindt but cant swear to!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 MEs to report for those following this soap opera. ME2, post viewers, was 50 gms Comte. ME 3 (EM in old money) was chicken mayo salad - mainly leaves plus some cucumber. Right now Chronometer has me at a 1000 Cal deficit but goodness knows what any ME 4 would be. @maglil55 Fifi T is my fear but son and DIL were slugging it out over Rosa and Olivia. My word she is small - really does fit in dad's hand - granted he is a very hench 6'4" - but so small. Calmest of the lot though at that age - 2 days.
@DJC3 It is the lab and @PenguinMum yes we are advised to make ourselves scarce so I walk the dogs. He will get a walk tomorrow - scheduled vet for late afternoon.

Last edited: