1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Was it me... or was Madonna flat? And as for that eye patch - what's that all about?

I'm actually having Sunday dinner on Sunday this week.... yippee..... (unfortunately this means that Mr C only gets one day off next weekend)

Breakfast: usual Sunday brunch of bacon, egg, mushrooms, high meat content chipolatas, a couple of tablespoons of baked beans

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: very slow roast beef brisket, cauliflower, sprouts, broccoli, few pieces of carrot and roast parsnip maybe a Yorkshire pudding depending on what my BG is like at the time

Dessert: Strawberries (no cream - I've decided I don't like cream with fruit)

Drinks: BDC, SSW, RW, CFDC

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bed 6.3 FBG 6. Just enjoying a little bit of peace and quiet before heading off to swimming lessons with the boys. Hubby already gone to the last league match of the season so I made the mistake of watching some of the Sunday politics programmes. Why oh why are they allowed to get away with not answering questions? I include all politicians in this. We're lucky we still have a TV. So much for quiet time.
    B. TAG with ADOC. 2 slices of the new brot toasted with sliced tomato and grated cheese and a boiled egg.
    L. Will be at swimming.
    D. I'd decided on fish but purchased a selection with no clear idea at the time what I would do with it - I just knew this was fish that goes together. Finally came to a decision. Will do sole fillets stuffed with prawn, scallops and a salmon/bassa/parmesan puree to bind. Oven baked with a white wine/lemon butter sauce. Will serve with samphire, spinach and rustica mushrooms. Hubby can have Jersey royals with it.
    I've not been put off SF jelly so jelly, raspberries and a little of Morrisons LC ice cream to follow.
    Usual campari and soda and I may have a wee prosecco as the boys are off school tomorrow for an "in service" day.
    @Chook - I thought she was flat at times too and makes too much effort to be controversial for the sake of it.
    @Tipitoo - since Peter Parker is still in residence on my phone app front page, Question - I think it's a huntsman although the huntsman I have seen in Australia have been more hairy and darker. It does seem to have the stripes on it's legs though. Q2- is it alive? It has a kind of desiccated look about it? Still don't fancy it BBQ'd or deep fried though.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    #27682 maglil55, May 19, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  3. BibaBee

BibaBee Family member · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BibaBee

Sounds absolutely delicious!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

In terms of the second recipe there, if anyone has a source of Thai or Holy basil in UK ( I know of one, but it's eyewateringly costed), please let me know.

I have a couple of packs of seed, but not too immediate!

• Like Like x 1
  6. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BibaBee

I think I've seen it in Waitrose, but probably expensive. Best bet would probably be an Asian supermarket / ethnic foods store, if you have access to one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

I'd seen in on there @maglil55 , but with delivery it comes to £5, which seems somewhat disproportionate.

I'll just have to get organised with the seeds, as it is so different from our standard basil.

@BibaBee - Last I was in HO, looked a the local Korean place, but no joy. To be fair that was on a Monday and there wasb't much fruit and veg at all.

I'm in HO some time this week, and want to pick up some more Kimchi, so will look again.

9. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Mea culpa. I’m just embarrassed that I should be caught derailing over such an ignominious topic!

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try an ethnic supermarket. The Turkish one I go to in Sheffield sells several different types in huge bunches for £1 each along with various types of coriander and other herbs - including some I've never heard of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Coffee and cream with 2 cubes dark chocolate

Eggs and cheese cooked in microwave

2 slices roast beef, tablespoon cheese coleslaw, handful blueberries

Some chicken breast (no skin, I find skin sickly), tablespoon 3 cheese coleslaw, handful red berries.

Black coffees
    Tea
    Herbal teas

• Like Like x 7
  12. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Brunch or NE1 + NE2: 2 sausages and two fried eggs.
    NE3 will be aubergine vegetarian kind of lasagna while others have normal version.
    Might have 2 sq choc.

Thanks for link to aubergine recipes @BibaBee they are one thing I never tire of eating.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi all. I must be the only one on this thread that wasn’t watching Eurovision last night.

OMAD day today, combined with a long canal walk and far too much shopping. Wasn’t meant to be buying clothes, but.......at least I did get what I went for - my Dad’s 80th Birthday presents - too.

My food app is knowingly telling me that ‘eating beef helps keep you on track’. Won’t argue with that. Dinner was oxtail. Was running low on bones so threw in a piece of bone marrow from Waitrose. Delicious combination with a very rich gravy: enough of that left for another couple of meals. Followed by extra thick Jersey cream - @Chook reverse of yours: cream, no fruit (or anything else).

C75F0EEA-C38C-48A7-8E75-9BD33A8E1F56.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Viv19

Oh dear, sorry folks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Viv19

She just loves herself so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Viv19

Ok food.
    Breakfast with OH. Boiled eggs, toasted LC roll, Camembert.
    1 1/2 hrs Nordic walking
    Lunch.
    LC bread plus cheese, celery, Tom
    Yoghurt and berries. Nuts
    Dinner
    Prawn veg curry with cauli rice.
    Drinks, as usual, tea with milk, coffee w cream, water, glass of red.

• Like Like x 6
  18. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I look at oxtail on the counter at Waitrose but dont know how to cook it. Any suggestions bearin mind I dont have an IP (?) yet!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. WackyJacky64

WackyJacky64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

full cooked breakfast , then some dark chocolate and walnuts at 11.30. Just checked sugar 5.1 and i am really hungry now waiting for some chicken breasts in garlic and butter to cook along with some broccoli and brussels sprouts , followed by strawberries blueberries walnuts and double cream for dessert. That's my lot for the day .

• Like Like x 6
  20. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

No IP here either. I use an old fashioned slow cooker - 11 hours on low. Stuck some meat juices from a previous meal, some bones and bone marrow in and put the oxtail on top (having seared it first). Simple and delicious. Hadn’t eaten it myself until a few weeks ago. Now I’m in love!

Guess it would also work in the oven in a casserole dish with the lid on. Probably wouldn’t need to cook as long, but never tried that way. Sure one of the more experienced cooks on here would know - @DCUKMod @maglil55 @Brunneria @shelley262 (hope I haven’t offended anyone by not including them).

Give it a whirl.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook