1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Thanks for that link. I like the flavours with the braised beef but shin and tender is not a combo I recognise. Passed the recipe to the cooking team for later in the year - seems on the hearty side for summer for a delicate little flower like me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

Re browning meat, i find it does help to make the gravy look more appetising and it does seal in the juices. Though I do have a very good chili con carne recipe where everything is thrown in. With coffee, tomatoes, paprika etc etc there’s no chance of that looking grey.
    Everyone has their own preferences thank goodness. I buy mince with as little fat as possible, mainly because in some countries we’ve lived in the fat in the mince smelled pretty horrible so I spooned it all off anyway. In one country we lived in they minced the beef through the mincer after mincing ‘lamb’/sheep/goat, which made the beef smell like old sheep. I bought an electric mincer to mince my own beef.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Viv19

Food today.
    Tea for breakfast.
    Gym
    Coffee with cream
    Lunch LC bread with cottage cheese and tuna/mayonnaise, some cherry toms. Nuts.
    Dinner pork medallions, zucchini spaghetti, a creamy mushroom sauce- I tried to thicken it with some mashed celeriac. It tasted ok but looked a bit odd. I threw in some broccoli to make it less boring.
    Yoghurt and berries. A glass of red.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Rachox

Rachox Other · Type 2 - well controlled. Moderator.
    Staff Member

We all loved them, they reminded me of Ikea meatballs and sauce with an added extra with the mozzarella centre :hungry:

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. WackyJacky64

WackyJacky64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Same for me i felt hungry after my tea so i had some walnuts and a coffee made with double cream , did the trick .

• Like Like x 4
  6. BibaBee

BibaBee Family member · Well-Known Member

Today's menu:

B: Vanilla chia pudding with LC Nutella. Coffee.
    Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino with splash of cream
    L: Frankfurter, Waitrose yellow sticker bargain burrata, olives, salad leaves, cherry toms, basil. Square of M&S 85% Peru choc.
    Mid afternoon: Almond milk cappuccino with splash of cream
    D: Impromptu barbecue again! Pork sausages (high meat %), grilled aubergine, HM coleslaw, salad leaves, cherry toms and avocado with EVOO and lemon

• Like Like x 6
  7. Bildad

Bildad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I set out to the fridge for yoghurt but remembered the mint choc oppo ice cream so had a small spoon of that and some sparkling water

• Like Like x 4
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Pressure cooking can tenderise it, if given enough, plus a full natural natural release. If it's not tender enough give it a bit more time. That said, the recipe would work with any meat.

Incidentally I'll also reduce the liquid a bit before cooking too as, as you know, there won't be the traditional evaporation.

I have to say I wouldn't have chosen shin for right now, but by the time it was clear, it was thawed, so well eat some and freeze the balance.

Just one of those things.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
    Dinner: Boned and rolled goat forequarter, veggies, brown onion gravy.
    Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

NEWS FLASH! It was reported on ABC news just now that Jamie Oliver's company has gone down the gurgler in the UK. Some of his Australian shops were shut down last year here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-22/jamie-oliver-restaurant-chain-collapses-uk/11136594

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Sangre

Sangre Type 2 · Member

Late breakfast of Paleo pancakes (Birch-Benders brand) at only 16 grams carbs, sugar free syrup, fried egg, and turkey bacon. Snacks of mixed nuts and Whisps (Parmesan cheese chips, Cello brand, 1 gram carbs). Dinner will be baked chicken, full fat cottage cheese, and raw baby carrots.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome @Sangre are you US based? I fell in love with Whisps last summer in the US! Will be stocking up in July.

Yes they’ve almost all shut down practically overnight, including one that a few of us on here were at a couple of weeks ago after the PHC conference.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Viv19

Does anyone here use coconut flower sugar or is it a no no? I have a German Low Carb magazine with quite a few recipes using that. Like this fried fish in batter, sweet and sour cucumber salad. 18g carbs for the whole meal. Sounds tasty. Only problem is reducing the recipes as OH isn’t interested.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. DCUKMod

Doesn't your OH like fish, or is it the LC aspect he finds off-putting?

I have lots of keto and lc recipes in my CMT folder, but most of them aren't titled that way. I've found that tends to help with open minds.

Ahem.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I take a very simple (and somewhat bootcamp) view.

Basically, I cook low carb, and that is what is served in this house, to Mr B, friends and family.
    If anyone wants carbs as well, then I am happy to microwave some potatoes or rice for them (guests) or Mr B can microwave them for himself.
    Bread is easy, since they can fetch it themselves out of the bread bin.

The result of this draconian regime is that most people are completely unaware that they are eating mainly low carb and cheerfully compliment me on the food. :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Viv19

Thanks DCUKMod. I’m afraid that we seem to be at the stage where anything ‘different’ is no longer appealing. I often prepare two meals. Though yesterday we both ate pork medallions, the rest was all different.
    Lots of pots but he does wash up.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Viv19

I wish! I made some German meat balls but instead of adding a soaked and squeezed out bread roll or two, I used a couple of tbspns of oats, ground. Trying to find a middle ground. I didn’t say anything but OH complained that they tasted ‘different.’
    I’ll just make different ones and freeze them in future.
    BTW I found a tasty looking meatball recipe in a German ‘Low Carb’ mag. Is there usually a copyright problem if I put it on CMT other than on ‘private?’
    I’m not very keen on meat that tastes too ‘meaty’ so the all-minced meat, salt and pepper version isn’t for me. I have to admit to being a closet vegetarian who sometimes eats meat to make life easier.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #27816 Viv19, May 22, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  17. Viv19

That’s a good idea. I could put some in the middle of my meatballs.
    The difference between German meatballs and Swedish ones is that German ones tend to be seasoned with nutmeg and the Swedes use cinnamon. In fact cinnamon seems to be the Swedish go-to spice. Tastes good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Viv19

Yes I am on CMT

• Like Like x 1
  19. DCUKMod

In this house, we never have different main meals, except when my OH had mac & cheese on a non-cooking night, then I'll have cauli cheese, so almost the same thing!

Breakfast we both have yog, plus fruit for him and usually rhubarb for me. Lunchtime, I have a barrell of salad and he has a crusty roll, or sandwich usually, but main means we have the same, although he may have additional carbs. It was a pact we made the day I was diagnosed, and we've stuck with it.

The amended recipe names are only marginally important until we've tried the recipe, to avoid pre-consumption auto-suggestion. This is especially valid as he is the main cook here.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Viv19

Chance would be a fine thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook