What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

In this house, we never have different main meals, except when my OH had mac & cheese on a non-cooking night, then I'll have cauli cheese, so almost the same thing!

Breakfast we both have yog, plus fruit for him and usually rhubarb for me. Lunchtime, I have a barrell of salad and he has a crusty roll, or sandwich usually, but main means we have the same, although he may have additional carbs. It was a pact we made the day I was diagnosed, and we've stuck with it.

The amended recipe names are only marginally important until we've tried the recipe, to avoid pre-consumption auto-suggestion. This is especially valid as he is the main cook here.

Chance would be a fine thing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting conversation around same meals for all. For at least 25 years due to Julie's IBS and our work we have often neither eaten together nor the same food. One or other would eat with the boys Only real exception was "set piece" meals and even then our preferences for type of meat or fish and how much or little it was cooked were widely different. In retirement I will rise up to 4 hrs earlier and want to go to sleep much earlier so when we want to eat is not usually in sync. In that respect OMAD/IF has been a blessing. On track a little I have only had tea today but Julie finds breakfast - 4 hrs+ after I was up - essential to avoiding problems.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm the same as @Brunneria - I cook one meal and Mr C can have additional carbs if he wants. He did recently say he prefers spiced up cauliflower rice to normal rice and I always cook him normal pasta if I'm having konjac spaghetti but that's it - if he wants non low carb food he either makes it or buys it himself. I know he has a drawer full of very carborific goodies at work.

Each weekend he gets to chose and cook a meal (he loves cooking) and I can't remember a time that it wasn't low carb.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Interesting conversation around same meals for all. For at least 25 years due to Julie's IBS and our work we have often neither eaten together nor the same food. One or other would eat with the boys Only real exception was "set piece" meals and even then our preferences for type of meat or fish and how much or little it was cooked were widely different. In retirement I will rise up to 4 hrs earlier and want to go to sleep much earlier so when we want to eat is not usually in sync. In that respect OMAD/IF has been a blessing. On track a little I have only had tea today but Julie finds breakfast - 4 hrs+ after I was up - essential to avoiding problems.

It's a bit similar here in weekdays due to Mr C's shifts - I have to have breakfast as soon as I get up for DP whereas he has his main meal of the day as a big brunch at midday before leaving for work. I have dinner at home at about 6-7pm and he has a salad or sandwiches at his desk at work at about 8-9pm. But at the weekends we eat all meals together.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a bit similar here in weekdays due to Mr C's shifts - I have to have breakfast as soon as I get up for DP whereas he has his main meal of the day as a big brunch at midday before leaving for work. I have dinner at home at about 6-7pm and he has a salad or sandwiches at his desk at work at about 8-9pm. But at the weekends we eat all meals together.
Hopefully not derailing. Hardest times are visiting our boys - since last summer I am well able to go up to 3 days on tea so would be fine eating nothing but they seem intent on treating me like a foie gras bird. Off to see newest grandchild so may be taking LC crackers and cheese which seems ruder than politely refusing. How do other people deal with visiting family?
Edit: Would taking my own butter be just too much?

Last edited:

Viv19

Hopefully not derailing. Hardest times are visiting our boys - since last summer I am well able to go up to 3 days on tea so would be fine eating nothing but they seem intent on treating me like a foie gras bird. Off to see newest grandchild so may be taking LC crackers and cheese which seems ruder than politely refusing. How do other people deal with visiting family?

Why would taking your own crackers and cheese (+ butter) seem rude? I think it’s a good idea. Then you have a fallback. Anyway, eccentricity usually runs in families doesn’t it? I just get the usual comment ‘Oh Muum!’
Today’s very boring. Sorry about all the posts.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Visiting family is okay - they all know that I don't eat carbs and (usually) cater accordingly. If there are carbs then I just don't eat them and have more of what I can have but it has only happened once or twice in the last ten years.

Visiting friends, especially old friends, is proving to be more difficult. Especially old friends who like baking. Twice in the last few months I've been a bit derailed by lovely old friends thoughtfully baking my favourite pre-diabetes diagnosis cake. In those circumstances I just eat it - and spend the next couple of days working hard to bring my BG back down.

Hmmmm - I've never taken my own food with me when visiting apart from beige food buffet type parties or BBQs - and then I take a big plate of it enough for everyone, smile and say that I thought it was a pot luck buffet - at least it guarantees that I will get something to eat. . If someone were to visit me and bring their own food I'd be okay with it but would definitely prefer it if they were to let me know in advance so I know how much and what I should cook. (Brings back a memory of a visitor who told me just before we sat down to eat a roast duck dinner that she was a vegetarian that doesn't actually eat veg.)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today....

Breakfast: Egg mayo (two eggs) on crackerbread

Lunch: Brie

Dinner: Steak (something called flat iron steak), Greek salad (feta, cherry tomatoes and olives dressed in lemon juice, herbs and Greek olive oil), baby chard leaves from the garden as a green salad

Dessert: Baked spiced rhubarb and Asda 'Authentic' Greek yogurt **

Drinks: Black decaff coffee, still spring water and Schweppes elderflower tonic water

** the Asda Authentic Greek Yogurt is lovely, about as thick as blancmange, mild and not very tangy. Very much like the 10% Turkish yogurt I normally get.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting convo..I think food has to fit around family life when you have kids. My OH worked away for 10 years mostly while the boys were at primary school and it was easier for me to eat with them at teatime. He did get home most weekends and then everything changed again. However now theres just the two of us I really do like to catch up with him over a meal because I can go a day without company. Oh and OH and son no 2 really picky eaters whereas no 1 son and me eat most things. Of course thats all changed for me but I usually adapt a basic meal. Its just adjusting to circumstances.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In this house, we never have different main meals, except when my OH had mac & cheese on a non-cooking night, then I'll have cauli cheese, so almost the same thing!

Breakfast we both have yog, plus fruit for him and usually rhubarb for me. Lunchtime, I have a barrell of salad and he has a crusty roll, or sandwich usually, but main means we have the same, although he may have additional carbs. It was a pact we made the day I was diagnosed, and we've stuck with it.

The amended recipe names are only marginally important until we've tried the recipe, to avoid pre-consumption auto-suggestion. This is especially valid as he is the main cook here.
We're pretty similar, although most of the time I skip the carbs too and have the same. If we eat out I'll something have something carby, whilst Mr B opts for LC options, but otherwise we eat the same food. We only ever used to eat 'real' bread and most of that was baked by me, so we just don't have it in the house now. I guess it's easier if there are just two of you.....harder to manage if you have kids.

Viv19

We're pretty similar, although most of the time I skip the carbs too and have the same. If we eat out I'll something have something carby, whilst Mr B opts for LC options, but otherwise we eat the same food. We only ever used to eat 'real' bread and most of that was baked by me, so we just don't have it in the house now. I guess it's easier if there are just two of you.....harder to manage if you have kids.

No children here anymore, just one increasingly stubborn OH.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No children here anymore, just one increasingly stubborn OH.
I'd be saying like it or lump it! They can always cook their own food if they don't like what you are offering! And like others have said, if they want some carbs on the side, it's not rocket science for them to prepare their own spuds or pasta!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Early about 6am
Cups black coffee
2 cubes dark chocolate

Was out today
11am breakfast with friend
2 poached eggs
3 slices bacon
2 sausages
Mushroom
Baked beans
Tea

Then a wee bit later
Fruit and cream

cappuccino and dark chocolate buttons

Rest of day drinks will probably be tea

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Take your own food.
I do.
You want to take your own butter? Then do that.

I took my own food last summer when the family met for two weeks in a cottage in mid Wales.
I ate differently to everyone.
I cannot eat food after about 3pm, and that was when they began eating through until bedtime.
I did go to bed early to be able to cope with that.
So, last summer I always had a bag of stuff in my backpack that I knew I could eat at that time.... triangles of laughing cow dairy cheese (I cannot swallow those now) , boiled eggs, nuts and cashew nuts (but I cannot swallow those now because of my dry throat), a pink lady apple peeled and cut into small pieces, and there was other stuff, but I cannot remember now.
The only thing from the above that I eat now, is boiled eggs.

With friends it is more problematical. I have badly fallen out with a friend because she won't accept what I eat, and goes into the kitchen to start cooking carb stuff.. to feed me. Long story, but finally didn't go and see her any more. Initially I did eat her stuff so as not to upset her further, but it was making me ill. But putting my foot down caused a fall out.
In my experience friends are harder to deal with as regards respecting your wishes in what you eat, or take to eat.

You know how you need to eat. Others often won't agree with your choice.
I know it is not easy because of pressure from others.

>^..^<

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not accomplished very much today apart from nursing a sick dog.
B usual coffee with cream
L drumstick and Brazil nuts
D butter chicken curry and broccoli.
The evening will be spent trying to stop one dog licking his sore bottom and trying to stop the other one from hiding cos his brother is I'll. He is very sensitive.
I have such an exciting life!!