What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Lunch today was 2 fried eggs, 3 rashers bacon and some grated cheese. Local cafe near work now has me down for the eggs and bacon on every visit and just ask whether I’d like ‘small, medium or large’ cheese. Today was medium (I estimate about 30g).

Dinner was lamb shoulder slow cooked with garlic and rosemary. So lovely to come home to those aromas and a meal ready. Some extra thick Jersey cream to follow up.

On the topic of the day, when visiting my Dad I’ve taken to sourcing and preparing all the food. For a longer visit (e.g. Christmas) I do an online shop and have it delivered there. For a weekend we’ll eat out at least once and he’ll either buy a leg of lamb or I buy something for all of us in the supermarket and prepare it. I do add potatoes or bread for him but means I get to eat keto and he gets a rest from cooking.

Usually works out with friends too and the ability to fast when it doesn’t comes in very handy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beautiful weather here today and potentially important family event. 89 yo MIL met 8 day old granddaughter. Food then. No B except TWAM. Around 1.00 starbucks CWC then soon after W and Pardners Latte. Only NE was 3 baby bels, small piece of smoked cheddar, double dunnie, butter, essential mixed leaf salad followed by 4 strawberries and cream. We provided all the food - carby options for the others including Eaton Mess - so taking my own was not an issue.
Starbucks have spinach wraps with avocado and chicken but I can't find nutrition analysis. ( I was given the 2 litre cream plastic bottle to pour as much as I wanted) Oh, and my son and DIL very consciously named their daughter Rosa Marie in memory of my mum -Rosemary. Not sure food or nutrition had a whole lot to do with today.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For some reason, I'm having a hungry day today. So still managed not to succumb to the LC mug cake made for Mr B after dinner!

B:Mocha chia pudding with cocoa and cacao nibs sprinkle. Black coffee.
L: Leftover grilled sausage, Gouda, HM coleslaw, avocado, cherry toms, salad leaves
Mid afternoon: Almond milk cappuccino with cream. Square of 85% choc.
D: My take on a crustless quiche Lorraine with added mushrooms, HM coleslaw, salad leaves, cherry toms. Jennifer Banz's Vanilla mug cake for Mr B. SF jelly and a square of 75% M&S choc for me. Decaf coffee with cream.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold Chinese style pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with mixed veg. followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have enjoyed reading the conversations about eating with family and friends. Putting my twopenn’orth in: I have no oroblem with family as they are all aware of how I eat and thoroughly approve as they can see the difference in me. I always ask if anyone wants spuds with a roast or odinary rice etc on family get togethers, and Mr C buys his own biscuits and breakfast cereal if he wants them. I don’t keep a check.
Visiting friends is much harder. I saw an old friend recently who had baked some cookies especially for my visit - I didn’t have time to think - I just blurted out ‘oh no! I’m diabetic I can’t eat them, I’m so sorry’ in hindsight it might have been kinder to have one, it was very awkward I felt dreadful aferwards as she lives alone and although she said ‘don’t worry, I’ll eat them’ she is very slim and doesn’t eat much - it wouldprobably have taken her weeks.
Back to today’s food-
No breakfast - got up too late. Haven’t slept in for ages. Mr C was getting worried and woke me at 10:15. Must have been the drive yesterday.
NE1: lunch at a fab country pubwhere everything is either home grown or local.
Moules to start then home smoked mackerel salad ( another starter actually, it was sublime) then a bit of a cheese board. Water to drink.
NE2: the cheese I didn’t eat at lunch ( wrapped and bought home) with some pecans and a glass of red)
It’s been a lovely day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All :D

NE1: low carb brownie and cream. My grand plans for this week should have included buying something to eat at breakfast. I had to freezer dive for the brownie. Haha!
NE2: chicken soup. Must make more. Loving having it as a standby.
NE3: beef ribs (small portion) with a belly pork strip to fill the plate.

About to have some goatsmilk yog, too :)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick foodie question. Has anyone attempted to make LC / SF elderflower cordial? I've seen it in abundance on my recent walks and would love to find a LC use for them. Any ideas?

Edit: Actually, perhaps gin is the way to go!

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick foodie question. Has anyone attempted to make LC / SF elderflower cordial? I've seen it in abundance in my recent walk and would love to find a LC use for them. Any ideas?

Not me I’m afraid. I’m not keen on the perfumed taste of elderflower. I love elderberry wine though.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not me I’m afraid. I’m not keen on the perfumed taste of elderflower. I love elderberry wine though.
I love it, but I love all those floral flavours. I even liked palma violet sweets as a child!

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick foodie question. Has anyone attempted to make LC / SF elderflower cordial? I've seen it in abundance on my recent walks and would love to find a LC use for them. Any ideas?

Not me, but I think I recall @maglil55 talking about it. Could be wrong.

Reactions: maglil55

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For me, the elderflower plus the botanicals already in the gin would likely be a bit much. It's not something I'd be inclined to join a queue to make, but were I going to give it a go, I'd try it with vodka.

I'm overdue making a batch of ginammon. I must set to it. I might do batch of rhubarb and ginger gin in the same water bath.

Non, nom, nom.

Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch at the club, some savoury snacks to chew on.
Dinner: Steak and mushrooms, reheated spudlite chips.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, beer, water.

Viv19

I was thinking about this just today! We have a tree in the garden. So flowers that I know haven’t been sprayed or had exhaust puffed all over them. But doesn’t the sugar act as a preservative?