What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was thinking about this just today! We have a tree in the garden. So flowers that I know haven’t been sprayed or had exhaust puffed all over them. But doesn’t the sugar act as a preservative?
Probably, which is why gin or vodka might be a better idea.

Reactions: Viv19

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Quick foodie question. Has anyone attempted to make LC / SF elderflower cordial? I've seen it in abundance on my recent walks and would love to find a LC use for them. Any ideas?

Edit: Actually, perhaps gin is the way to go!

I tried making a sparkling Elderflower wine several years ago. The recipe and method seemed straightforward enough - Its a long while ago but i think it was just the flowers, sugar, water and (possibly) lemon as the elderflowers have a natural yeast on them. It seemed to brew alright but once bottled every single bottle popped their corks the very next day.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Todays food

Breakfast: the usual 2 eggs mayo on crackerbread
Lunch: pate - not sure what on or with yet - maybe celery
DInner: an experimental cooked mixture of red, yellow and orange peppers, cannellini beans, a few tomatoes, chorizo and garlic all cooked down then with plain cod fillets poached in it - and a side of garlicky butter cooked chard from the garden
Dessert: usual spiced baked rhubarb and authentic Greek .

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8F077F6E-5933-4C40-8983-32372F605E63.jpeg

Nothing to do with elderflower at all, but I just made these. I might just have gone to heaven!

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/nutella-keto-chocolate-cookies/

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They look fantastic!
They are amazing! Really easy to make ...you could easily make them with your grandkids! They would have fun shsping the cookies. By far one of the nicest LC bakes so far. I bought the hazelnut meal from Ocado a while back and was looking for the right recipe to use it. Looks like I found it!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are amazing! Really easy to make ...you could easily make them with your grandkids! They would have fun shsping the cookies. By far one of the nicest LC bakes so far. I bought the hazelnut meal from Ocado a while back and was looking for the right recipe to use it. Looks like I found it!

Thanks - sorry I jumped in to edit my post not realising you’d replied - you’ve answered the flour question already!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You were doing so well until you triggered my special alarm. Describing food as amazing, delicious, divine, yum etc always makes me think folk are trying too hard. They look good and you are clearly an accomplished baker. Usain Bolt was a good sprinter.:angelic:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They look fantastic! Yours look better than the photo in the link.
Which sweetener did you use, and did you use hazelnut or almond flour? Oh and did you include the molasses?
Mostly erythritol with a little erythritol / stevia blend too. Ground hazelnuts and no molasses, only because I didn't have any. They crisped up nicely, but are still chewy, like any good cookie should be.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You were doing so well until you triggered my special alarm. Describing food as amazing, delicious, divine, yum etc always makes me think folk are trying too hard. They look good and you are clearly an accomplished baker. Usain Bolt was a good sprinter.:angelic:
What can I say? I'm easy to please! :joyful:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mostly erythritol with a little erythritol / stevia blend too. Ground hazelnuts and no molasses, only because I didn't have any. They crisped up nicely, but are still chewy, like any good cookie should be.

Thanks, have CMT’d and with half term approaching I think your suggestion of cooking with the girls is spot on.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Black coffee and two cubes dark chocolate first thing.
Coffee and cream x 3

Sort of brunch:
Two boiled eggs and two rashers bacon.

Had to go out, so grabbed two more boiled eggs, rashers bacon, and 3 babybels to eat on the run...

Was waiting for a parcel to arrive at pick up point so I didn't have to go out again tomorrow...and fish and chip shop nearby made me feel hungry. Not the chips, just the fish. So bought the fish, didn't eat the batter, but it was fresh fish and not frozen and so I enjoyed it sitting in the sun...I did try to have a bit of coleslaw with it (I had just bought some), but that is not exactly finger food...

At home now and so black coffees and teas with cream in for the rest of the day.

>^..^<

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was Coffee with cream after sorting the dogs. Off to work quite busy then lunch of Butter Chicken and boccoli. Then off shopping with my mother. Tea was fajitas before a wander to the local primary school to protest at the expense and futility of an election to a body we are not supposed to be in.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Standard issue sunny day in Fenland. No B - lots of TWAM obvs. Around 13.40 hrs munched some cheese and gnawed the last of the lamb shoulder before NE1 proper. Avocado, mackerel in OO and egg mayo - h/m mayo, our eggs - with baby kale, baby spinach, ruby chard and mizuna. Did some grass cutting and walking then helped clean fridge by eating a small piece of smoked cheddar - it looked awful lonely. NE2 around 18.30 hrs was chicken breast, celery, cucumber. cherry tomatoes and baby spinach with h/m mayo. It did a job, not sure what job or to what standard but I functioned in my own little way so on we go.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Did blossom a bit towards the end of the day
Breakfast: usual 1 slice HiLo toast, butter tea x 2. Normally blissful but not quite today.
Lunch: younger son popped in and required feeding so I had cold egg, mayo and lettuce to keep him company.
Supper: roasted aubergine ted onion and mushrooms with drizzle Greek EVO and Italian herbs. Early night again.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Glorious sunny day. Shame to be inside working but made up for that with what is starting to become a regular long walk home (7 miles) via the Regent’s Canal, the Thames and various parks. Busy roads limited to the first 20 minutes from the office down to the canal. 27.5k steps in all.

Bit of a hungry day - and a vast amount of protein.

30g stick of mature cheddar around 8.30am.

Lunch of smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese followed by a 20g stick of mature cheddar.

Needed a bit of sustenance before setting off on walk; M&S out of pork crackling and ended up with first non-carnivore item of the week - 25g bag of almonds.

Dinner was a scheduled stop at Nando’s at Canary Wharf. 2 plain legs and a side of grilled halloumi.

Stopped at Waitrose on the final stretch home to inspect the meat counter. Picked up some lambs liver for 67 pence: want to try and add some offal to my diet. @Brunneria thinking of some pate - any advice on ratio of cream to liver? Thinking of just those 2 ingredients with a bit of seasoning and perhaps some garlic. And hoping my mini chopper is up to the job of mincing the liver!

@BibaBee those cookies look fabulous. Daren’t CMT the recipe!