What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a rubbish start to my day as I’d been up half the night with a dicky tum. Had to cancel my lunch date with an old friend at the Duchy of Cornwall Nursery cafe in Lostwithiel.
Mid afternoon felt hungry and plumped for smoked salmon and cream cheese lettuce wraps. Not the best idea it turned out, I think I just wanted the saltiness.
Feeling much better by this evening, had sauteed haddock with lemon butter, green beans, spinach and 1 small Jersey Royal. Then a few squares Montezuma’s and DCWC
Bg stayed high 6s all day, finally down to 5.2 before dinner - the spud has probably ruined that though.
@ianpspurs I am so envious of your eggs and h/m mayo

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Needed the food - and this evening the wine- to cope with stress of difficult day taking adult autistic son to dentist for an extraction. Still we succeeded with heavy dose of diazepam ( no not me but it may have been beneficial if I had!) so at least had result.
Breakfast one rasher of bacon and egg
Lunch nuts ( fair few nibbled), cheese and last few lc seeded crispbreads ( need to make more tomorrow) six pieces of 100% choc
Dinner glass of soda water with dash white wine and nuts while cooking a late - for me - dinner of beef shin, cauliflower cheese and asparagus with glass of red wine followed by treat of scoop of oppo ice cream and double cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Glorious sunny day. Shame to be inside working but made up for that with what is starting to become a regular long walk home (7 miles) via the Regent’s Canal, the Thames and various parks. Busy roads limited to the first 20 minutes from the office down to the canal. 27.5k steps in all.

Bit of a hungry day - and a vast amount of protein.

30g stick of mature cheddar around 8.30am.

Lunch of smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese followed by a 20g stick of mature cheddar.

Needed a bit of sustenance before setting off on walk; M&S out of pork crackling and ended up with first non-carnivore item of the week - 25g bag of almonds.

Dinner was a scheduled stop at Nando’s at Canary Wharf. 2 plain legs and a side of grilled halloumi.

Stopped at Waitrose on the final stretch home to inspect the meat counter. Picked up some lambs liver for 67 pence: want to try and add some offal to my diet. @Brunneria thinking of some pate - any advice on ratio of cream to liver? Thinking of just those 2 ingredients with a bit of seasoning and perhaps some garlic. And hoping my mini chopper is up to the job of mincing the liver!

@BibaBee those cookies look fabulous. Daren’t CMT the recipe!

Sorry, I kind of dollop the cream in.
Umm, maybe go by flavour?
Butter or cream cheese might work better than cream til you’ve had a bit of practice.
The advantage of them is that they solidify at room temperature.
So you can use as much as you like (e.g. keto macros) All soft and melty while you adjust the flavours and season.
Then when it cools it will harden.

I tend to use a pinch of powdered onion, same of garlic, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and then something with a bit of bite. Mustard, or chili, or paprika, harissa...

But I don’t want to tempt you off the twue path of carnivory ;)

Today:
NE1: greek yog with cocoa powder. Yup. Choc for brekkie :D
NE2: prawns in brinjal cream
NE3: a mushroomless stroganoff made with lambs kidneys and chicken liver. All a bit spur of the moment, and v small. Only 150g of meat per portion. So will have to top up with cambozola later. Such an ordeal. ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I kind of dollop the cream in.
Umm, maybe go by flavour?
Butter or cream cheese might work better than cream til you’ve had a bit of practice.
The advantage of them is that they solidify at room temperature.
So you can use as much as you like (e.g. keto macros) All soft and melty while you adjust the flavours and season.
Then when it cools it will harden.

I tend to use a pinch of powdered onion, same of garlic, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and then something with a bit of bite. Mustard, or chili, or paprika, harissa...

Thanks. Will experiment over the weekend.

Reactions: gennepher

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: mozzarella pearls dipped in a tiny bit of tomato purée (using up leaf overs!) with leafy salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold Mexican style pulled chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Wish me luck for tomorrow, off to my parents for the day, last email from Dad (he does the cooking there) “I’m giving the chef the night off, will fish and chips be ok for you?” :wideyed::eek::arghh:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: mozzarella pearls dipped in a tiny bit of tomato purée (using up leaf overs!) with leafy salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold Mexican style pulled chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Wish me luck for tomorrow, off to my parents for the day, last email from Dad (he does the cooking there) “I’m giving the chef the night off, will fish and chips be ok for you?” :wideyed::eek::arghh:
Sounds like you’ll be peeling the batter off the fish! Hope it goes well

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal
You can also extend the life of the pate using butter.
Just pop it into a container (small kilner jar, small pot, ramekin, leaving space at the top).
Then pour melted butter over it, to form a seal when it cools.
Instant anaerobic seal AND you get butter and pate together, ready for spreading.

Also, the pate freezes well.
I usually put it into small 100ml clip top plastic pots and throw it in the freezer.
V quick to defrost when you need it, and a nice long frezer life.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal
Just pop it into a container (small kilner jar, small pot, ramekin, leaving space at the top).
Instant anaerobic seal AND you get butter and pate together, ready for spreading.

I usually put it into small 100ml clip top plastic pots and throw it in the freezer.

Thanks. Sounds like an excuse to add to my butter mountain and a trip to Lakeland for little pots :D

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I’m hoping they do batterless chicken!

Good luck with that. I've not seen proper chicken in a chippy for years - its all that Southern fried chicken stuff that comes ready crumbed and is cooked from frozen. I've sold it (used to own a chippy) but I've never eaten it. If Mr C gets desperate for fish and chips we go to our local village chippy which also does really nice chicken or lamb kebabs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal

Oooooh. Where did you find your 100ml clip tops?

Reactions: Viv19

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit late posting tonight. I had a late work meeting and didn't get in until about 8.30. Then a brisk walk to the polling station and back. Only finally settling down with a decaf coffee. Did think about skipping dinner, but gave in and had a light snack.

B: Mocha chia pudding with cocoa and cacao nibs.
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino with cream
L: Leftover crustless quiche, coleslaw and salad. One of *those* cookies.
D: Mr B had goulash (freezer stash) and cauli rice

I've just had my first crispy dunnie (what took me so long!?) with cream cheese and a baby bel.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some small ones, but must measure their volume. I think they're probably more than 100ml

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Ham and tomato sandwiches, plenty of HE mustard pn them.
Dinner: Seafood marinara, reheated pasta spirals, there was a lot of squid rings and clams in this lot.
Dwe01us.gif

Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Viv19

Oooooh. Where did you find your 100ml clip tops?

I stock up on those kind of boxes from Tesco when I go over. There are always some variation of them in my suitcase when I fly back. Together with the tea, mixed spice, mustard powder, stock cubes, Pyrex jugs etc etc. The important things in life.
I used to make chicken liver pate, put it into mini pots with melted butter on the top and freeze them. They keep well and defrost quickly.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
<slinking quietly in the back door so as not to disturb the party.... ahhhh.... feels good to be here!>

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
It would only be a Mon-Fri vegetarian experiment (Mr C cooks his choice on one weekend day and we have a traditional roast dinner on the other). I enjoy cheese and eggs too much to go without them but could easily do without fish, chicken and other meats for a while.

Soooo, you were looking for someone who was vegetarian and LC: lo, she stands right next to you. Psssst! Here!!!
Still 140+ posts to catch up....