What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, we have chocolate at home. In fact, whilst doing the weekly shop on Friday, MrB sent a message asking if I was aware his stash of snack sized bars (he always has a couple in his golf bag) was getting very low. He also has a stash of dark Terry's chocolate oranges, and other chocolaty miscellanea, including my fabled chocolate orange marble cake muffins, baked by my own fair hand in the freezer.

He's slim, very fit and runs an A1c in the low 4s (A1c envy going on here), so who would I be to write any rules.

I had a foray into chia pudding recently that I did with coconut milk and cocoa. My takeaway thought from that was it could be quite useful, in different flavours. Chocolate just doesn't do anything for me.

Yes. I am the forum weirdo.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont know why I havent thought of aubergine on the bbq...did you use thick slices @BibaBee and the harisa yogurt marinade for the chicken sounds great. Thanks for the ideas everyone. I am in the line for a LC Coronation Chicken recipe also. Re chocolate my favourite is Lindt 90 and I can easily do 4 squares!
@DJC3 very glad you feel able to have another dog. If you decide to go down the rescue route it is very rewarding. Our current two moggies are rescue and they came with issues of insecurity but we have had them 5 years now and they are so happy and loving. They were born into a very bad home where we are sure Daisy was kicked by a man ...for months here whenever OH or sons walked into the room she used to cower and shake. Now thats all behind her. They are now my babies!

Viv19

Raise your hand if you know what ramps are (not the handicap type). @SaskiaKC ? Keep them up if you knew they come in a German cheese! (Answer at bottom of page 39, upside down. All will be explained in due time).
View attachment 33155
NME's not remarkable. But! I made @Goonergal 's olive oil chocolate cake. I think your tablespoons are larger than our 15ml ones... I had put a little extra cocoa in, and still had to leave about a third of the water out. Anyway it turned out well: hot out of oven very high, light, and fluffy and drowned in cream yumyum! Several hours later it's half its original height, with a brownie-like crust on top, but light and fluffy underneath. Also, the cocoa and erythritol seem to have cooked into little shards of intense choc chip/chunk/shards scattered throughout. I may have eaten 3/16 of this cake already....
Good night all!View attachment 33157

You have more self control than I do then. Much as I love the sound of this cake, since OH is not interested in much sweet stuff, guess who eats it? That’s possibly how I ended up in this mess in the first place.
I’m good with total denial (that’s how I gave up smoking years ago) but no good with a ‘little.’ All or nothing!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont know why I havent thought of aubergine on the bbq...did you use thick slices @BibaBee and the harisa yogurt marinade for the chicken sounds great. Thanks for the ideas everyone. I am in the line for a LC Coronation Chicken recipe also. Re chocolate my favourite is Lindt 90 and I can easily do 4 squares!
@DJC3 very glad you feel able to have another dog. If you decide to go down the rescue route it is very rewarding. Our current two moggies are rescue and they came with issues of insecurity but we have had them 5 years now and they are so happy and loving. They were born into a very bad home where we are sure Daisy was kicked by a man ...for months here whenever OH or sons walked into the room she used to cower and shake. Now thats all behind her. They are now my babies!
Yes, thick slices. Otherwise they can escape through the grills!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone here use coconut flower sugar or is it a no no? I have a German Low Carb magazine with quite a few recipes using that. Like this fried fish in batter, sweet and sour cucumber salad. 18g carbs for the whole meal. Sounds tasty. Only problem is reducing the recipes as OH isn’t interested.
Sorry if someone has answered already @Viv19 but I'm trying to catch up. The article I've added a link to explains the coconut flower sugar (otherwise known as palm sugar). Slightly lower in GI than refined sugar but still likely to spike BGs the same as sugar. Slight advantage in nutrients but, as the article says, you'd need to eat ridiculous amounts to gain from them. 100g of this is 100g of carbs.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/coconut-sugar

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have made the occasional low carb cake and allow myself one portion then divide up the rest and freeze the portions individually.... then lose them. We have four freezers now, one of which is bigger than the freezers they have in Iceland (the shop not the country) - we've got all these freezers because we used to grow all our own fruit and veg and chickens, turkey and ducks for the table but no matter how hard I try things do disappear in them. I found a container of Christmas low carb chocolate truffles the other day which was a nice surprise.

As for chocolate... I'm not a big fan but i do have some in the freezer thats in the kitchen for emergencies.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today's food...

Breakfast: the usual Sunday brunch - egg, bacon, chipolatas, mushrooms and a couple of tablespoons of baked beans

Lunch: Probably not

DInner: Ribeye steak and some home made red coleslaw - red cabbage, bit of red onion and raw beetroot

Dessert: Strawberries

Drinks: black decaff coffee, still spring water, red wine

Viv19

Sorry if someone has answered already @Viv19 but I'm trying to catch up. The article I've added a link to explains the coconut flower sugar (otherwise known as palm sugar). Slightly lower in GI than refined sugar but still likely to spike BGs the same as sugar. Slight advantage in nutrients but, as the article says, you'd need to eat ridiculous amounts to gain from them. 100g of this is 100g of carbs.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/coconut-sugar

Thanks for the info Maglil

Reactions: gennepher

Viv19

I’ve just found a recipe for low carb sunflower seed bread. I need cream cheese so I can’t make it today but might go now and make the sunflower seed flour and golden linseed flour in advance. Put it on CMT.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chance would be a fine thing.
I'm with @DCUKMod and @Brunneria on this - no way would I be cooking two totally different meals and I speak as someone who has exactly the same problem as you - an OH who eats with his eyes. It's taken me years to retrain him
Like @Brunneria, I don't use the words Keto or low carb and gradually he's discovering that he can't really notice the difference. For the most part I just tweak what we're having so we'll have the same protein (be it meat or fish), he likes the veggies steamed with a bit of bite and the variation is he'll have some form of potato - I'll have something else (more veggies, veggie chips, celeriac dauphinoise or just salad depending on what the protein is).
He prefers the non-cheffie food and that makes it easier to vary. Batter on fish? I have a low carb tempura on my CMT - it looks like and tastes like a tempura batter. I also do a sesame crumb which gives a fab crisp crumb. He doesn't like the sound of 'seeds' so I mill it or use ground pork scratching instead. I think it's on CMT but it's one I vary depending on what I am cooking.
Spaghetti bolognese? Only variation is he has spaghetti - I have oomi noodles which just need a warm through. I still make mac & cheese but that's usually when the boys want it too. That's probably the one time I'll have something totally different. Believe me I sympathise with you but it is possible to sort it out eventually
PS Meatballs - I just stopped using breadcrumbs. Instead I whizzed up onion/mushroom ( or whatever veg he'd eat ) and used that with the meat together with parsley, beaten egg, seasoning then dust the meatballs with bamboo fibre or oat fibre and give them a quick fry to set the outside. OH doesn't know it's oat or bamboo fibre - looks like flour to him.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully not derailing. Hardest times are visiting our boys - since last summer I am well able to go up to 3 days on tea so would be fine eating nothing but they seem intent on treating me like a foie gras bird. Off to see newest grandchild so may be taking LC crackers and cheese which seems ruder than politely refusing. How do other people deal with visiting family?
Edit: Would taking my own butter be just too much?
I will take one course with me (usually dessert) which everyone eats but SIL is well used to variation since, apart from me, she caters for coeliac, shellfish allergies, dairy intolerance, vegan and vegetarian - as do I when they're all about at the same time!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My homemade Coronation Chicken is (like most of my kichen throw-togethers) v quick and easy:

Diced cold chicken leftovers
Mayo
A dollop of Pataks curry paste
Seasoning to taste
Stir, taste, adjust. Serve.
Takes 5 minutes.

The paste is pre blended and cooked, which gives it a mellow flavour. I have tried several, but find the korma and rogan josh blends are my favourites.

Now I am almost entirely carnivore i use double cream (extra thick would be awesome) instead of mayo.

And I have never enjoyed that sultana nonsense in an otherwise enjoyable Corry Chicken. Shudder. That’s a good way to ruin a good meal :)
However, if you enjoy that kind of thing, then there are lower sugar versions you could try, soaked koji berries, a finely chopped prune... even a finely chopped apricot. They certainly have carbs, just fewer carbs than dried grapes.

Oh, and Coronation Salmon (baked salmon steak) is a thing of beauty!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My homemade Coronation Chicken is (like most of my kichen throw-togethers) v quick and easy:

Diced cold chicken leftovers
Mayo
A dollop of Pataks curry paste
Seasoning to taste
Stir, taste, adjust. Serve.
Takes 5 minutes.

The paste is pre blended and cooked, which gives it a mellow flavour. I have tried several, but find the korma and rogan josh blends are my favourites.

Now I am almost entirely carnivore i use double cream (extra thick would be awesome) instead of mayo.

And I have never enjoyed that sultana nonsense in an otherwise enjoyable Corry Chicken. Shudder. That’s a good way to ruin a good meal :)
However, if you enjoy that kind of thing, then there are lower sugar versions you could try, soaked koji berries, a finely chopped prune... even a finely chopped apricot. They certainly have carbs, just fewer carbs than dried grapes.

Oh, and Coronation Salmon (baked salmon steak) is a thing of beauty!

I'm with you on the sultanas! Thank you for sharing, your recipe is on similar lines to mine. I used to 'cook out' the paste with a little onion first though, then add to a mixture of creme fraiche and mayo. I've seen a recipe suggesting sunblush tomatoes, which I think might work okay. I just think it needs a tiny bit of fruitiness to lift the flavour. Roast chicken is on the menu tonight, so coronation chicken is definitely going to appear in some guise soon.

Viv19

I have made the occasional low carb cake and allow myself one portion then divide up the rest and freeze the portions individually.... then lose them. We have four freezers now, one of which is bigger than the freezers they have in Iceland (the shop not the country) - we've got all these freezers because we used to grow all our own fruit and veg and chickens, turkey and ducks for the table but no matter how hard I try things do disappear in them. I found a container of Christmas low carb chocolate truffles the other day which was a nice surprise.

As for chocolate... I'm not a big fan but i do have some in the freezer thats in the kitchen for emergencies.

I have been known to eat frozen cake from the freezer when desperate for a fix.

Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

Viv19

I'm with @DCUKMod and @Brunneria on this - no way would I be cooking two totally different meals and I speak as someone who has exactly the same problem as you - an OH who eats with his eyes. It's taken me years to retrain him
Like @Brunneria, I don't use the words Keto or low carb and gradually he's discovering that he can't really notice the difference. For the most part I just tweak what we're having so we'll have the same protein (be it meat or fish), he likes the veggies steamed with a bit of bite and the variation is he'll have some form of potato - I'll have something else (more veggies, veggie chips, celeriac dauphinoise or just salad depending on what the protein is).
He prefers the non-cheffie food and that makes it easier to vary. Batter on fish? I have a low carb tempura on my CMT - it looks like and tastes like a tempura batter. I also do a sesame crumb which gives a fab crisp crumb. He doesn't like the sound of 'seeds' so I mill it or use ground pork scratching instead. I think it's on CMT but it's one I vary depending on what I am cooking.
Spaghetti bolognese? Only variation is he has spaghetti - I have oomi noodles which just need a warm through. I still make mac & cheese but that's usually when the boys want it too. That's probably the one time I'll have something totally different. Believe me I sympathise with you but it is possible to sort it out eventually
PS Meatballs - I just stopped using breadcrumbs. Instead I whizzed up onion/mushroom ( or whatever veg he'd eat ) and used that with the meat together with parsley, beaten egg, seasoning then dust the meatballs with bamboo fibre or oat fibre and give them a quick fry to set the outside. OH doesn't know it's oat or bamboo fibre - looks like flour to him.

I’ve tried it making the meatballs as close to the usual recipe as possible. It didn’t work.
We were not amused.

Reactions: gennepher

Viv19