What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve never heard of that. Just read up- that’s amazing. Yet another sweetener to source!
But bearing in mind maglil, that the sugar preserves the mix, what would you use for that? Gin/vodka?
I'd use vodka. Plain ordinary vodka. Or I'd scale down and see how long it lasts in the fridge. I suspect it will also be freezable.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
TWAM and CWC until 14.00. NE1 was smashed, avocado, sardines in OO (cheaper than mackerel but not a keeper), 1 h/b egg and ACV topped up a few minutes later with small piece of cheddar and 2 baby bels. NE2 will be roast chicken possibly with some of the pork and herb stuffing. mushrooms and either some salad or roast veggies with h/m mayo. Might have some fage 5%, raspberries and choc granola.
Reading through posts above I am struck by how happy you all are with your menus and seemingly very content your choices are right for you and taking you where you want to go. That is wonderful to see but also very challenging when I can't make head nor tail of the nutrition, bg control and personal taste conundrum. That was not a lament or grumble it was a very sincere compliment to you all. You all always seem to be on a whole other level to me.
ETA: I don't want hugs or advice I just wanted to compliment you all and observe how well what you eat seems to make you happy. (too late @Chook)

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
TWAM and CWC until 14.00. NE1 was smashed, avocado, sardines in OO (cheaper than mackerel but not a keeper), 1 h/b egg and ACV topped up a few minutes later with small piece of cheddar and 2 baby bels. NE2 will be roast chicken possibly with some of the pork and herd stuffing. mushrooms and either some salad or roast veggies with h/m mayo. Might have some fage 5%, raspberries and choc granola.
Reading through posts above I am struck by how happy you all are with your menus and seemingly very content your choices are right for you and taking you where you want to go. That is wonderful to see but also very challenging when I can't make head nor tail of the nutrition, bg control and personal taste conundrum. That was not a lament or grumble it was a very sincere compliment to you all. You all always seem to be on a whole other level to me.

I'm not content... I'm forever thinking back to the food I ate pre-diagnosis and regretting that i can't still eat it - especially fruit. I get bored with food a lot, especially when it starts getting samey (if there is such a word) thats when I want to shake it up a bit and try something different.

Reactions: gennepher

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not content... I'm forever thinking back to the food I ate pre-diagnosis and regretting that i can't still eat it - especially fruit. I get bored with food a lot, especially when it starts getting samey (if there is such a word) thats when I want to shake it up a bit and try something different.
Sorry to hear about the regret and boredom. I don't regret not eating as before because it clearly wasn't good for me. I sense most others who post menus on here have absolutely decided which woe to follow and I just can't unsee/unread valid arguments against all of them. Just ignore except for complimenting you and all the other posters in this thread.

Viv19

Funny you should say that Chook. I’ve been looking at the Salter pie maker that I bought 3 years ago, after long deliberation, wondering who on earth to give it to. I love pies, curry puffs in Jamaica- a brilliant fast food- and meat pies in Oz. Now it’s just for decoration- or the store room.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food eaten today

Black coffees and 2 cubes dark chocolate

Coffee with cream

Eggs and cheese thrown in microwave.

Half small tin tinned fruit, various seeds blitzed, handful blueberries, ground almonds, double cream.

1 tablespoon branston pickle coleslaw, 2 boiled eggs chopped (I didn’t fancy meat or fish today so had to be eggs again), slices of mature cheddar cheese.

Mugs of tea.
Water that I add a little pinch salt and squeeze lemon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd put the molasses in. It's only 1 tsp so effect is negligible.

I don’t actually have anything like that left now I’ve realised. I did a massive bake off for a Macmillan cake sale a few months ago and chose cakes to cook based entirely on my need to use up non- lc ingredients ( so a lot of flapjacks as I had loads of oats and golden syrup epecially)
I have sf maple syrup - I suppose that’d work, otherwise I’ll just leave it out. If they look as good as @BibaBee ‘s I’ll be v happy

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TWAM and CWC until 14.00. NE1 was smashed, avocado, sardines in OO (cheaper than mackerel but not a keeper), 1 h/b egg and ACV topped up a few minutes later with small piece of cheddar and 2 baby bels. NE2 will be roast chicken possibly with some of the pork and herb stuffing. mushrooms and either some salad or roast veggies with h/m mayo. Might have some fage 5%, raspberries and choc granola.
ETA: I don't want hugs or advice I just wanted to compliment you all and observe how well what you eat seems to make you happy. (too late @Chook)

The whole food/eating thing is still an experiment in progress for me.

I don’t say on here my reasons for why I do stuff, is simply because it will take me too long to write.

But I have my own book where I write readings and food down. And my suggestions for my next day, but that is also based on what needs using up in the fridge. And it is not necessarily what I fancy...

I overbought on coleslaws this week so it is coleslaw of some form or another 7 days after today...you got a second one for the fraction of the price of the first. Not a good idea when I live on my own and it’s perishable goods.

I hope you do not mind me replying as such, but this is neither hugs nor advice.

>^..^<

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Another OMAD day. That is if you don’t count a portion of clotted cream in M&S - since I didn’t have TWC this morning am counting it in lieu of that.

So aside from clotted cream, food was dinner of oxcheek slow cooked with some bone marrow. Delicious. Dessert was a new invention: extra thick Jersey cream mixed with a few chopped Brazil nuts and a few cacao nibs. Not many of either the nuts or nibs, but added some welcome crunch without sweetness.

Following recommendations on here bought some Cambazola today. Both blue cheese and Brie are on my ‘don’t like’ list, but so long since I’ve had either thought I’d give it a whirl.

@ianpspurs count me among the very contended food wise. Hope you find your own path there.

@Chook your ‘bigger than Iceland’ freezer is surely bigger than my kitchen!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right, I really need to get my food up to date as last one I posted was Tuesday. So without further ado let's get to it.
Wednesday - the first of 4 busy days. Bed 6.2 FBG 6.1. A little bit if DP but it turned of it's own account as I didn't have time to eat.
B. TAG with ADOC then the school run. After school run had to take DIL along the coast to an appointment but car started misbehaving again with the judder. Weirdly it was fine coming back.
L. Was going to go shopping but Hubby agreed to pork loin from the freezer. I didn't want pork but I still had a portion of cooked tripe.
Lunch consisted of 2 Baby Bel and water. Kind of grab and go before going to collect boys from school.
D. After getting boys home dinner was said Tripe a la romana (delicious!) with 2 slices of Dr Almond bread to mop up the sauce.
Hubby got his pork loin with new potatoes. @Viv19 - this was one of the occasions it wasn't a problem as my tripe dish was just a thaw and reheat.
Thursday - got into Aqua Zumba this morning and was going shopping afterwards and voting on the way home. Bed 5.3 FBG 6.5. Another touch of DP but not bad.
B. TAG with ADOC. A boiled egg and 2 Baby Bel. Needed something pre swimming.
L. Nothing - went shopping as boys were having dinner as usual and also stopped to vote on the way back. That was the most difficult decision ever! I could eliminate who I didn't want to vote for but that left next to no options. Only just got back in time to collect boys from school.
D. Everyone had Quorn mince (No 1 is still vegetarian and Hubby doesn't know it's Quorn) with carrot, onion, peas, green beans and they had mash, I had cauliflower mash. Later I had SF jelly, raspberries and cream. 2 bits Montezuma black forest chocolate.
An evening of great excitement - Ginnie the Guinea finally gave birth. One died but Mum explained it to the boys it was better to have 4 healthy babies than 5 unhealthy. From the colour we reckon Connie (now known as Colin) was the Baby Daddy.
Will do another post for the rest.
IMG_5033.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday - the great excitement of the guinea birth continues. The smallest (which is under Ginnie's head in the pic) squeaked all night according to No 1. Bed 5.6 FBG 5.1. Still a touch of DP but nothing of concern. Usual school run but coping with the entire school being told of the guinea birth and the fact it was No 2's last day as a 5 year old AND he had a load of cupcakes for class and teachers.
B. TAG with ADOC and a Baby Bel.
Straight to physio after the school run.
L. Straight from physio to school for pick up. Knocked together sandwiches, fruit and a drink for boys to which they then added crisps, ice cream cone on a ginger biscuit. I had 2 Honduran prawns and a bit of your Boob cheese @DJC3 (saw it in Lidl. Had to buy it. It's rather nice).
D. Quite a warm day and Hubby wanted salad so - I went off to do my weekend shop after taking the boys home and when I got back
Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, more of the boob cheese, Waldorf salad (can't help thinking about John Cleese "sorry we're out of Waldorfs" in Fawlty Towers), chicken breast, small slice ox tongue, boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, Helmans. Couldn't finish it!
Much later - last of the jelly and raspberries.
Saturday - reason for shopping yesterday is today No 2 is 6 so I am the taxi service to lots of squealing children. Bed 6.6 FBG 6.1
B. TAG with ADOC and yet another Baby Bel and another couple of Honduran prawns. Had a small slice of ox tongue to ready myself for the taxi service.
2 journeys around the surrounding homes to collect various minis with DIL in first batch and deposit them at the trampoline centre. 2nd batch included son and No 1 was allowed one of his friends (only fair son suffers too ).
I was informed tiny baby is still squeaking all night.
After much jumping, squealing, pizza (not me) , birthday cake (not me) time for taxi duty again.
L. Nothing
D. Decided on salad again. Slice each of ox tongue, turkey, little bit of chicken breast, little bit of ham, baby beet, Waldorf salad, lettuce and veggie chips. Raspberries and halo top.
2 squares G&B mint.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally! Today. Bed 6.8 FBG also 6.8 Sunday - Edinburgh Marathon day and we live across from the Finish! Still had to get the boys to swimming lessons so picked them up earlier than usual as they are at one end of the finish - we are at the other. On marathon day a five minute journey takes 1 hour. So it's a case of resident pass on the car and join the fray. Our streets are barricaded to stop the resident parking being used by relatives etc. No pass - no entry. There were a few rows the 1st year when residents couldn't get into our own parking areas.
B. TAG with ADOC and 2 slices of bread and butter. Yep you saw that right. Yesterday I cooked a loaf after taxi service. Oh wow, it looks like bread, it tastes like bread and it's crusty. Even better 0.4 g carbs per slice. Reason it's so good is it has yeast and vital wheat gluten in it. It was wonderful to be proving bread again and the aroma!
I got it from My Diet Shop (same place as I buy Monkfruit sweetener).
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3aaInIz6jpn9IXTZDJAsDa
Their site is down for maintenance until 7 June but this bread is seriously good.
L. Nothing - I was working my way back and forward through Marathon traffic to swimming and back. Boys passed the time picking out finishers.
D. Will be usual campari and soda. Beef stroganoff (Rick Stein recipe) and veggie chips (Hubby has matchstick chips). Wee prosecco and probably another slice of that Skinny Bread.
Later raspberries and halo top.
@Viv19 - don't give up on pies yet. It's another work in progress. My last attempt at low carb pastry didn't rise enough but it tasted like pastry and that's progress. Next attempt I'll go back to traditional methods.
@Chook like you I miss fruit. I'm happy with berries but I miss melon, pineapple, peaches etc. I'll have tiny bits occasionally but very tiny. My other miss is just being able to have a scotch pie or pie generally hence my mission for perfect LC pastry. If I crack it then it opens the door on many of my old favourites.
@ianpspurs - I guess I'm one of the happy clappy people with LC. I've always enjoyed cooking and learning in a restaurant made it easy for me to adapt and experiment. I've had a few disasters as well but I just wish I'd discovered this way of eating years ago. At least now I can look at a recipe and see what needs to be replaced. And I'm overjoyed with this Skinny Bread.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a large bag of powdered dried eggs.

I was using them to make omelettes, but my dedicated omelette maker decided to give up the ghost. I wasn’t wasting money on another one.

As far as cooking goes the electric stove packed in years ago, and so I went over to cooking in the microwave.

I do have a tiny instant pot (called Perfect Cooker).

My kitchen is smaller than a ship’s galley so I don’t have room for a pile of appliances. And unless they have timer and automatically turn off when cooked I am not interested. Because stuff has been known to go on fire because I totally forget I am cooking.

So the only thing I can safely cook in is the microwave, but I did wonder the other day what on Earth was the shrivelled up item in it.

I rarely feel hungry so I forget I’ve put food on to cook.

Anyway, the point is I have this bag of powdered eggs, and my attempt this morning to make scrambled eggs with it in the microwave ended up being a rubber mat...inedible...

Does anyone have any idea what or how I can use these scrambled eggs up?

Or do I bin them?

>^..^<

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have a large bag of powdered dried eggs.

I was using them to make omelettes, but my dedicated omelette maker decided to give up the ghost. I wasn’t wasting money on another one.

As far as cooking goes the electric stove packed in years ago, and so I went over to cooking in the microwave.

I do have a tiny instant pot (called Perfect Cooker).

My kitchen is smaller than a ship’s galley so I don’t have room for a pile of appliances. And unless they have timer and automatically turn off when cooked I am not interested. Because stuff has been known to go on fire because I totally forget I am cooking.

So the only thing I can safely cook in is the microwave, but I did wonder the other day what on Earth was the shrivelled up item in it.

I rarely feel hungry so I forget I’ve put food on to cook.

Anyway, the point is I have this bag of powdered eggs, and my attempt this morning to make scrambled eggs with it in the microwave ended up being a rubber mat...inedible...

Does anyone have any idea what or how I can use these scrambled eggs up?

Or do I bin them?

>^..^<

I haven't got a clue. I didn't know you could get dried eggs nowadays! Maybe you look up some wartime recipes - i can remember my Mum used to talk about having dried egg in WW2 in all sorts of things.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't got a clue. I didn't know you could get dried eggs nowadays! Maybe you look up some wartime recipes - i can remember my Mum used to talk about having dried egg in WW2 in all sorts of things.
I’ll have to do that.
I used to have those old wartime books when I first left home. I found them very good then. But lost them over the years.
Thanks

>^..^<

Reactions: Chook and Brunneria

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all wonderful sunny evening - just come in after sitting out in the sunshine with glass of red wine
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch sardines in olive oil served with dressing of avc and avocado oil served with lc seeded crispbreads and a few Brazil nuts followed by coffee and four squares of 100% absolut Black choc
Dinner beef served with cauliflower cheese followed by my new pudding of choice - spoon of Greek fage 5% yoghurt and spoon of extra thick double cream mixed together add four frozen raspberries and mix, it produces a wonderful soft ice cream - delicious and think it will continue to feature for a few days!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

NE1: Port Salut (yum!)
NE2: a v small choc cupcake. Gluten, sugar, wafer thin choc flakey sprinkles, the works. :woot: They were brought over by extended family (who have no clue about my bg issues) as a present for Mr B’s birthday. No way was I going to reject their generosity.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/273343176
39g carbs ea. So no disaster. :D
NE3: kidney and liver goulash.

Very windy today. And some welcome rain. Then sun. Just what the garden needed :)