What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick catch up for me waiting for Mr C to stir - he’s still asleep and Im downstairs in the airport hotel waiting for him to joun me for breakfast. There is unlimited Cista coffee but I had to pop back to the Tesco express in the airport first thing to buy cream. Very happy now, we’re off on the west highland line later - meant to be one of the most scenic rail journeys but visibility is low here - so wet and misty, I’m not sure we’ll appreciate it.
Yesterday’s food
B: scrambled egg, 1 rasher bacon and a few slices avocado - the last I’m ever buying from Asda they are always rock hard til they go off.
Lunch: flaxseed bun and egg mayo
Plane delayed and got hungry at airport so had some chilli olives and red wine ( because the holiday had started)
Dinner: very late by the time we arrived in Glasgow, luckily restaurant still open, steak with the garnish bits of rocket and mushrooms. 2 chips!! ( not as nice as they looked)more red wine.
I think I will look out for one of those insulated pots for transporting baby food, might be good for carrying cream in.

@Viv19 sounds like a lovely wedding and you did so well in your lc choices, well done on the fbg. Yes I think wine (or gin) in moderation really does help. I always assume that the liver is too busy dealing with the alcohol to bother putting more glucose out into the system.
@maglil55 sorry you are still feeling rough, sounds like a horrible bug. I agree a hot shower does wonders for restoring life into a poorly body.
This is turning into a long post, sorry. One last thing - I found this chocolate at the airport, even lower carb than Montezuma’s (7g/100)
View attachment 33337
Enjoy your hols @DJC3 hope the ‘murk’ lifts so you get the views

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy your holiday - some epic posts in the fbg chatty thread to match or better. I hope the breakfast is a suitable treat and the West Highland line serves the intended purpose.

Thanks. I loved your description of your grandson making baby granddaughter laugh. It really is a sight and sound to lift the spirits and make you think that all’s right with the world. Have a great time with them.

Viv19

Quick catch up for me waiting for Mr C to stir - he’s still asleep and Im downstairs in the airport hotel waiting for him to joun me for breakfast. There is unlimited Cista coffee but I had to pop back to the Tesco express in the airport first thing to buy cream. Very happy now, we’re off on the west highland line later - meant to be one of the most scenic rail journeys but visibility is low here - so wet and misty, I’m not sure we’ll appreciate it.
Yesterday’s food
B: scrambled egg, 1 rasher bacon and a few slices avocado - the last I’m ever buying from Asda they are always rock hard til they go off.
Lunch: flaxseed bun and egg mayo
Plane delayed and got hungry at airport so had some chilli olives and red wine ( because the holiday had started)
Dinner: very late by the time we arrived in Glasgow, luckily restaurant still open, steak with the garnish bits of rocket and mushrooms. 2 chips!! ( not as nice as they looked)more red wine.
I think I will look out for one of those insulated pots for transporting baby food, might be good for carrying cream in.

@Viv19 sounds like a lovely wedding and you did so well in your lc choices, well done on the fbg. Yes I think wine (or gin) in moderation really does help. I always assume that the liver is too busy dealing with the alcohol to bother putting more glucose out into the system.
@maglil55 sorry you are still feeling rough, sounds like a horrible bug. I agree a hot shower does wonders for restoring life into a poorly body.
This is turning into a long post, sorry. One last thing - I found this chocolate at the airport, even lower carb than Montezuma’s (7g/100)
View attachment 33337

That sounds like a super holiday. Crossing fingers that the weather clears for you.
Great news about the wine! I was having a bad conscience about it.
Not sure about 100% chocolate! My friend bought me some in Bratislava- I’m a chocoholic, but one piece of that put me off completely.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that while your liver is dealing with alcohol it cant push sugar out at the same time so it often helps in these situations. Not if you have too much though lol.
Interestingly, 4 years ago when I started LC and new lifestyle I had a glass - 125 mls - of red wine most days. plus coffee with cream and 100% dark chocolate. The chocolate is now definitely a no no. The other 2 come in the could but maybe not should category in my mind. In the case of alcohol I assume other posters drank fairly regularly before dx. Watching football last night and today's family meal would both provide opportunities for having a glass of the very many bottles of wine we have. Like the coffee,cream and other food stuffs I am really struggling to justify what they might be doing in my life whereas 4 years ago I would have had automatically assumed they were useful.
@DJC3 boy did we pay for the sublime moments last evening. Teething problems - calpol and Moanna at 2.30 then grizzling and limb thrashing - until 4.30 when grandson was convinced we had all left him home alone, startled the dog and took plenty of calming down. No coffee but buckets of tea.

Viv19

I put this on the fasting bg thread, but I’m interested in what you think. I know about the DS, but what about the fact that by the time we test in the morning , we are far more dehydrated than the evening before. Both through respiration and sweating, also possibly from the nighttime loo visits. Just weighing before sleeping and after waking shows this. If the blood has less water circulating, it follows that the bg ratio would be higher. Doesn’t it?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I looked up Chocolarder and its the only bean to chocolate made in this country in Cornwall! Have a look at their website. I have sent them an email to ask if they have a factory shop or a stockist in Fowey. I think they’re very niche and small so I dont think there will be a factory shop. Intriguing!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's been a busy couple of days for me, so not had time to post. I'll have to take some time to catch up on what I've missed. Hope everyone is okay.

I just wanted to share my two positive LC experiences from yesterday. Firstly, I had to do a presentation at a conference yesterday for work. It was at a big hotel and a buffet lunch was provided. I was fully expecting it to be carbageddon, but I was pleasantly surprised. Not a stodgy sandwich or sausage roll in sight! There was a deconstructed Caesar salad, allowing guests to help themselves to the component parts. I love anchovies and Parmesan, so a win for me! A delicious tomato and mozzarella salad, sliced continental cheese, ham, olives, cornichons. There was also a hot dish of Cajun chicken with peppers. There were carby things too, but plenty of low carb options to choose from.

Then it was off to my parents for birthday celebration meal for my dad last night. My Mum made such an effort to make sure it was LC, bless her! Starter was asparagus with hm pesto, red pepper sauce and goats cheese. Main course was beef olives, buttered Swiss chard and cauli rice. Pudding (courtesy of yours truly) was rhubarb fool with toasted flaked almonds. Then some cheese and celery / biscuits (I had a couple of crackers, but Mr B stuck with the celery). G& slimline T, white wine, red wine and a small tot of whisky as a nightcap, with a decaf coffee. Lovely meal!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.8 FBG 6.6 - I'm beginning to feel a bit human again (touch wood, touch wood, touch wood). Hot shower last night, coating of Vics, another hot shower this morning. I was so congested last night I didn't think I'd ever feel human again but hot showers plus Vics has helped. I was sweating buckets overnight - whether that was down to the paracetamol or my body finally expelling infection I don't know. Main thing is I don't feel like a wrung out dish rag. Boys have swimming lessons today so I've left Hubby with instructions on what I need prepped for tonight's dinner.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice of GF chilli black pudding (heat helped bug clearance), 3 morrisons GF chipolatas, 1 mushroom and a fried egg.
L. Will be just water at the swimming.
D. Instant Pot on the go when I get back. I needed something hearty so am making a brisket cacciatore. I know it's usually chicken but I reckon it will work with beef too. I'll make some cauliflower mash too. Usual campari and soda. I might make a LC raspberry mousse if I can find it again or I may settle for berries and halo top.
@DJC3 - enjoy your holiday. Weather is better on our side of the country but that's not unusual! I assume you were flying with Fly maybe from Newquay? They used to drive us up the wall when we worked as they were very prone to delays/cancellation.
Are you going straight to Mallaig or making stops en route? There are so many lovely places to stop off on that line. Are you on the steam train or Scotrail? I must take the boys on that route on the steam train one day simply for the Glenfinnan Viaduct. They'd be thrilled to think they were going to Hogwarts.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 5.8 FBG 6.6 - I'm beginning to feel a bit human again (touch wood, touch wood, touch wood). Hot shower last night, coating of Vics, another hot shower this morning. I was so congested last night I didn't think I'd ever feel human again but hot showers plus Vics has helped. I was sweating buckets overnight - whether that was down to the paracetamol or my body finally expelling infection I don't know. Main thing is I don't feel like a wrung out dish rag. Boys have swimming lessons today so I've left Hubby with instructions on what I need prepped for tonight's dinner.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice of GF chilli black pudding (heat helped bug clearance), 3 morrisons GF chipolatas, 1 mushroom and a fried egg.
L. Will be just water at the swimming.
D. Instant Pot on the go when I get back. I needed something hearty so am making a brisket cacciatore. I know it's usually chicken but I reckon it will work with beef too. I'll make some cauliflower mash too. Usual campari and soda. I might make a LC raspberry mousse if I can find it again or I may settle for berries and halo top.
@DJC3 - enjoy your holiday. Weather is better on our side of the country but that's not unusual! I assume you were flying with Fly maybe from Newquay? They used to drive us up the wall when we worked as they were very prone to delays/cancellation.
Are you going straight to Mallaig or making stops en route? There are so many lovely places to stop off on that line. Are you on the steam train or Scotrail? I must take the boys on that route on the steam train one day simply for the Glenfinnan Viaduct. They'd be thrilled to think they were going to Hogwarts.

So glad you’re feeling better. I think my daughter had the same thing Fri and Sat - I’m really hoping it’s not too contagious as I was round there helping out with the girls, don’t want to go down with something while we’re away.
We’re staying on the train til Oban - the first 2 carriages go there but the last ones go to Mallaig. Its Scotrail but I wish I’d booked a trip on the steam train. Mr C would have loved it, ( not that he is interested in Hogwarts but he loves trains) The day is bright enough to see the scenery now - looking forward to one stop called Loch Awe. Hope its as lovely as it sounds.
Where did you get chilli black pudding? That sounds like it’d be a hit with my gang. I had a bit of black pud with my breakfast this morning but it tasted like it had a fair bit of oaty cereal in it so felt I should probably leave most of it. I’m following your lead and local custom and only testing bg at waking and bedtime. Figure I cant do much about the in between while we’re away - I’ll choose the best low carb options but no point fretting about whether or not they were ok after the event.
I’ll be interested to see how the cacciatore works with brisket.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So glad you’re feeling better. I think my daughter had the same thing Fri and Sat - I’m really hoping it’s not too contagious as I was round there helping out with the girls, don’t want to go down with something while we’re away.
We’re staying on the train til Oban - the first 2 carriages go there but the last ones go to Mallaig. Its Scotrail but I wish I’d booked a trip on the steam train. Mr C would have loved it, ( not that he is interested in Hogwarts but he loves trains) The day is bright enough to see the scenery now - looking forward to one stop called Loch Awe. Hope its as lovely as it sounds.
Where did you get chilli black pudding? That sounds like it’d be a hit with my gang. I had a bit of black pud with my breakfast this morning but it tasted like it had a fair bit of oaty cereal in it so felt I should probably leave most of it. I’m following your lead and local custom and only testing bg at waking and bedtime. Figure I cant do much about the in between while we’re away - I’ll choose the best low carb options but no point fretting about whether or not they were ok after the event.
It's Stornaway black pudding. You should come across it in the butcher shops as it's common here. I think I got ours in Dobbie's butchers. Some are GF some are not. This one is about 5g carbs for quite a big slice.
I hope Scotrail behave themselves. They have been in quite a stooshie lately with breakdowns and delays. It's a lovely line though. Scenery is amazing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One meal today but the priority was to ensure grandchildren were settled after a very disturbed night. The meal was meant to be roast pork and veggies as grandson loves his pork and apple sauce. Humid weather and sub 5 hrs sleep meant a trip to nearest supermarket - Morrisons - and cold food raid. I ate cheeses, cold meat and chicken, salad leaves, Fage yogurt and 4 strawberries. No 1 son completed the charity walk yesterday - 58k steps in all but his feet are rather a mess. The good news is we may have a rerun of grandchildren next weekend. @DJC3 and @maglil55 I googled cacciatore which sounds nice but brisket is now a no go in this life.
I did learn a new phrase today - cheese baby for babybel.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put this on the fasting bg thread, but I’m interested in what you think. I know about the DS, but what about the fact that by the time we test in the morning , we are far more dehydrated than the evening before. Both through respiration and sweating, also possibly from the nighttime loo visits. Just weighing before sleeping and after waking shows this. If the blood has less water circulating, it follows that the bg ratio would be higher. Doesn’t it?

Probably you might be right.
I do weigh less in the morning than the night before.
But with me I have Sjogrens Syndrome, which includes dry mouth and throat, and to this end I have to drink extra water and fluids all the night. Or else I just cannot swallow and my throat seizes up in the night.
So, I have three 500ml bottles water by the bed every night. Because water makes me even thirstier, I put a few grains of salt in one, a squeeze of lemon in another, and the third has some tonic water in it, so that I am able to swallow the water and it helps my dry mouth and throat.
By morning I have probably drunk the equivalent of at least two of those 500ml water bottles. The third gets finished when I am taking my medicines.

Yet, despite drinking that water fluid, I still get the higher bg reading in the morning compared to the reading the night before.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food today

Some chocolate

3 eggs
Chopped bacon
Handful blueberries
2 heaped tablespoons cheese and Branston pickle coleslaw

2 baby bels later

Water with either few grains salt in/squeeze lemon juice/bit tonic water in
Cups tea with dash cream

Throat is too irritated to drink coffee again yet

>^..^<

Viv19

One meal today but the priority was to ensure grandchildren were settled after a very disturbed night. The meal was meant to be roast pork and veggies as grandson loves his pork and apple sauce. Humid weather and sub 5 hrs sleep meant a trip to nearest supermarket - Morrisons - and cold food raid. I ate cheeses, cold meat and chicken, salad leaves, Fage yogurt and 4 strawberries. No 1 son completed the charity walk yesterday - 58k steps in all but his feet are rather a mess. The good news is we may have a rerun of grandchildren next weekend. @DJC3 and @maglil55 I googled cacciatore which sounds nice but brisket is now a no go in this life.
I did learn a new phrase today - cheese baby for babybel.

Apple sauce was always the secret weapon in our house to ‘persuade’ the girls that they really would enjoy roast pork and the rest.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Much catching up to do - combination of a busy weekend and being a bit out of sorts.

@Tipetoo that meat looks fab.

@Brunneria well done on the deadline. Choccie sounds very well deserved.

@shelley262 the foot spa sounds wonderful, especially in this hot weather.

@maglil55 glad you’re feeling a bit better and hope you’re soon fully recovered.

@DJC3 have a great time in the highlands. Will be checking out that chocolate.

Slow cooker has been in use all weekend. Yesterday’s food was a bag of Awfully Posh Pork Crackling after footie and dinner beef short rib followed by a cheese course of a small piece of Cambazola (wasn’t that fussed) and a piece of some surprisingly delicious vintage cheddar from Lidl (see pic).

Today a small lunch of 40g of said cheddar with butter. Dinner was slow cooked neck of lamb - delicious but cooked way too much so another portion is now in the fridge. Dessert was extra thick double cream with almond butter.

105DEF8E-93BE-4756-83DA-AF9E10115F30.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all bit of a drizzly greyday today but had lots of pre hols jobs to do so made it easier to be indoors!
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch chicken drumstick, bit of cheese, celery and lc seeded crispbreads followed by four squares of 100% choc
Dinner steak, garlic mushrooms, cauliflower cheese, halloumi chips and glass red wine followed by sf jelly and yoghurt.
Packing tomorrow as off early on Tuesday.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Much catching up to do - combination of a busy weekend and being a bit out of sorts.

@Tipetoo that meat looks fab.

@Brunneria well done on the deadline. Choccie sounds very well deserved.

@shelley262 the foot spa sounds wonderful, especially in this hot weather.

@maglil55 glad you’re feeling a bit better and hope you’re soon fully recovered.

@DJC3 have a great time in the highlands. Will be checking out that chocolate.

Slow cooker has been in use all weekend. Yesterday’s food was a bag of Awfully Posh Pork Crackling after footie and dinner beef short rib followed by a cheese course of a small piece of Cambazola (wasn’t that fussed) and a piece of some surprisingly delicious vintage cheddar from Lidl (see pic).

Today a small lunch of 40g of said cheddar with butter. Dinner was slow cooked neck of lamb - delicious but cooked way too much so another portion is now in the fridge. Dessert was extra thick double cream with almond butter.

View attachment 33360
I love vintage cheddar and this is one of my faves

Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brisket came out really well. It was like cutting through butter. There's many cacciatore sauces. Mine, after browning the brisket in the IP, I deglazed with slice onion and garlic, loads if sliced mushrooms and sliced assorted peppers. Added small bottle of red and reduced. Added 400 mls beef stock then 300 mls chopped tomato, oregano and thyme. Set on meat for 65 mins for the size of joint. Slow release 30 mins then removed the joint, tented with foil and left to rest while the sauce went back onto saute to reduce. Delicious!
What's the issue with brisket @ianpspurs? Must admit it's not a cut I would normally buy but cooked this way it was super tasty. I paid less than £5 for the joint and we'll be eating it tomorrow too.