What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to have signed up to VeryWell Diabetes newsletter, probably in the beginning when I was reading everything!They say that apples are good for diabetics in spite of the carbs. That the advantages outweigh the carb numbers. Perhaps a half one?
https://www.verywellhealth.com/eating-apples-for-diabetes-control-1087080
Perhaps I should put that somewhere else.
I read the apple benefit some time ago and filed the info away. I decided I would include apples by taking the odd one from our trees while walking around the garden, take a few bites then toss into the chickens. Won't work if we move to somewhere without the apple trees and space for chickens but if I drag out the house sale I could get 1 more year (or stay put and deal with agro from wife and sons)

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

I read the apple benefit some time ago and filed the info away. I decided I would include apples by taking the odd one from our trees while walking around the garden, take a few bites then toss into the chickens. Won't work if we move to somewhere without the apple trees and space for chickens but if I drag out the house sale I could get 1 more year (or stay put and deal with agro from wife and sons)

Perhaps you should include the apple tree/chicken space in your list of house must haves. It sounds like a good way of de stressing.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you should include the apple tree/chicken space in your list of house must haves. It sounds like a good way of de stressing.
Who knew today was World Gin day 2019? @DJC3 and @PenguinMum I am surprised-you haven't made us aware. No wonder there was so much emphasis on Gin in Waitrose yesterday. (other shops are available but we never seem to meet friends and family elsewhere) @Viv19 Re must haves: If the idea is to have less land as I grow even more decrepit those as must haves makes it pointless moving to somewhere which will inevitably be less perfectly situated for me. Ironically, I have just about turned this land into useful LC production.
ETA: Just for all you carni fans https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/aldi-launch-massive-28oz-bigger-16460956

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, we are very fortunate with the harp store. I don't live in a small town, and we are indeed a thriving, "voted in top 10" (in the whole US!) cultural center. (Also food, places to raise kids, and urban white water kayaking. We are one of I think 4 or 5 cities in US with Class 6 rapids in the middle of downtown!)
I've mixed and rolled and refrigerated the wafer cookie dough. It seems like it will work out well. Bake them tomorrow. The rest is simply whipping the cream, deciding whether or not to sweeten it, and building the cake. This will lend itself to "make one serving at a time" ease. If only I had an immersion blender...
Well! At least the phone had no opportunity to go for a swim! I hope he's laughing too by now....

It sounds like a wonderful place to live with something for everyone. It’s good that you live fairly close to your mom too. We ended up moving just 5 mins walk away from my dad in his later years which made things much easier all round and also meant my girls could pop in and see their grandad whenever they wanted. He’d look out of his window in the mornings to wave as youngest walked past to catch her school bus. Happy memories.
Looking forward to seeing a photo of that cake!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You sound as though you’ve been on a gourmet journey! What a lovely holiday.
Aubergine was marinated then fried.
A border terrier is exactly what’s on my wish list. Intelligent and energetic too.
It’s a small world DJC3 - we’ve had some weird coincidences like that too.

It has been a real foodie week, which was exactly what we hoped for. Just as you said @maglil55 the food in the highlands is wonderful - not a deep fried Mars bar in sight.
I’m really getting into aubergines, just wish I could persuade the rest of the family of their wonderousness.
It’s taken us a while to work out which dog breed would be best suited to us ( and us to him) but I think a border terrier ticks all our particular boxes. We were going to look for a rescue but after recent experience with daughter’s rescue Dane getting spooked and biting granddaughter, we think a puppy from an accredited breeder would be best in our circumstances.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to have signed up to VeryWell Diabetes newsletter, probably in the beginning when I was reading everything!They say that apples are good for diabetics in spite of the carbs. That the advantages outweigh the carb numbers. Perhaps a half one?
https://www.verywellhealth.com/eating-apples-for-diabetes-control-1087080
Perhaps I should put that somewhere else.

I do like some fruit. So maybe just a quarter of an apple? Or some grated on top of something?

>^..^<

Reactions: ianpspurs and Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who knew today was World Gin day 2019? @DJC3 and @PenguinMum I am surprised-you haven't made us aware.
Ian any day is World Gin Day in my world and as @DJC3 has been on hols I’m sure she has done her bit! When you move could you scale down and still have a few chickens and a few fruit trees? The trees would need to be there I guess though Monty Don claims you can grow apples horizontally along a fence!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian any day is World Gin Day in my world and as @DJC3 has been on hols I’m sure she has done her bit! When you move could you scale down and still have a few chickens and a few fruit trees? The trees would need to be there I guess though Monty Don claims you can grow apples horizontally along a fence!
I am sure you gals will do your selfless best to support the poor gin makers of the world. Chickens can be kept in fairly small spaces but welfare becomes an issue and fruit trees can be trained but the variety - about 12 types - will be an issue. Needs some thought as what makes something real food seems very "messy" to me and is part of what is troubling me about the road ahead with my WOE.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is that on CMT maglil55? Can I follow you?
I've added it now. I'd added you to my recipe circle a while ago if I remember correctly you just have to add me to yours.
It's one of these things I fiddle about with but it does produce a crisp crumb. If you deep fry I would double coat. I use a frying pan mostly. I fry in a mix of flora cuisine and olive oil.
It's under Crispy Keto Crumb.
I've also copied over the Diet Doctor curry tartare sauce. This can be varied too. I've used pickled cucumber and currently I'm using cornichons which are just mini ones. You can vary your curry powder too. Currently I'm using medium.
I only make a larger batch of crumb if I'm going to be using it again in a matter of days. I've made it so often now I can judge the quantities by eye.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today...

Bits of chocolate

Black coffee

Eggs and cheese thrown in microwave

Some frozen red berry fruits in wine and cream. Some frozen blueberries thrown in.

I had been tidying the kitchen and found some breakfast stuff, called Buddha's Awakening Hempiness. But it was too fine for me to swallow even with cream which is why it got put to the back of the cupboard. So I am thinking can I make a piece of 'crispbread' from it?

A desert spoon butter in a jug, a bit of cheese crumbled in, and melted in microwave, then mixed about two desert spoons of Hempiness in. Then put some butter on a small plate and melted that (because my mixture had looked a bit dry. Then put mixture on the small plate, pressed it down, and microwaved in bursts of about 10 seconds at a time. Left it a few moments to cool. It was slightly crunchy/chewy. Put butter on, and it wasn't bad. I would try again with that.

Then, chicken and cheese coleslaw.

Drinks:
Tea
Water with a bit of salt or lemon or tonic water
One coffee with cream, because I am running out of cream, so pacing the cream until Monday....

>^..^<

Viv19

It has been a real foodie week, which was exactly what we hoped for. Just as you said @maglil55 the food in the highlands is wonderful - not a deep fried Mars bar in sight.
I’m really getting into aubergines, just wish I could persuade the rest of the family of their wonderousness.
It’s taken us a while to work out which dog breed would be best suited to us ( and us to him) but I think a border terrier ticks all our particular boxes. We were going to look for a rescue but after recent experience with daughter’s rescue Dane getting spooked and biting granddaughter, we think a puppy from an accredited breeder would be best in our circumstances.

OH really dislikes aubergine, so I make it for me. Daughters like it but they’re far away.
I’m going to be foster mum to a lovely lab for a few months before she flies back to Oz. Looking forward to it.

Viv19

I've added it now. I'd added you to my recipe circle a while ago if I remember correctly you just have to add me to yours.
It's one of these things I fiddle about with but it does produce a crisp crumb. If you deep fry I would double coat. I use a frying pan mostly. I fry in a mix of flora cuisine and olive oil.
It's under Crispy Keto Crumb.
I've also copied over the Diet Doctor curry tartare sauce. This can be varied too. I've used pickled cucumber and currently I'm using cornichons which are just mini ones. You can vary your curry powder too. Currently I'm using medium.
I only make a larger batch of crumb if I'm going to be using it again in a matter of days. I've made it so often now I can judge the quantities by eye.
Hope this helps.

I’m going to have to work this out. I can only see your Black Forest gateau! Something needs adjusting.

Reactions: gennepher

Viv19

Tea
Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, 1 toasted LC roll. Small piece Camembert. Small tspn my black currant jam. Cwc.
Lunch: 1 slice LC bread with peanut butter. Yoghurt with berries.
Dinner: baked salmon on mixed salad (sliced mushrooms, 1 steamed white asparagus chopped, 4 little cherry toms, some mixed leaves and a super garlicky whole grain mustard dressing). Sprinkled with Dukkah spice and nut mix.