1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Lunch yesterday: A selection of local macadamia nuts supplied by Pacific Gold Macadamias as they sponsored a bowls competition at the bowls club yesterday, helped down by a cold low carb beer or three.
    Dinner: Nile perch fillets and veggies.
    Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water, beer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I buy them to mash up with basil, garlic, pistachios or pine nuts, lime juice and avocado oil so they get mushed up anyway. I have a recipe for a salad with sliced avocado, so I'll find out then... But I think from the reviews I've seen they're mainly bought for similar types of use, e.g. smoothies.

I believe @Listlad and @Tipetoo also buy frozen ones too, so maybe they can comment?

Robbity

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  4. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

@shelley262 put me on to gin with soda instead of tonic and I now prefer it - you can taste the gin better. I had a few problems with low cal tonic which turned out not to be low carb - Fever Tree ‘naturally light’ actually has 6g carbs per bottle so drinking gin with soda is better all round I reckon.
    I quite like brandy but never tried it with soda, I imagine that’d be quite nice as a longer drink?

• Like Like x 2
  5. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Your mash up sounds good!

6. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I have bought them frozen from Morrisons. My wife grumbled at them. They were okay but yes, probably best for smoothies and mashing down for other purposes than to eat whole. It was worth a try though. Yes a bit mushy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

That sounds as though it needs some research. I will sacrifice myself.
    I wonder what it would taste like with angostura bitters, perhaps a slice of frozen lemon. That’s quite refreshing in hot weather. I found some last year, it took ages to track it down. I wanted to make a tonic, angostura and lemon slice for No 3 daughter when she was pregnant, and couldn’t find it.
    Brandy soda is a favourite longish drink. There’s also a horse’s neck, which is brandy (or whiskey, your choice) with ginger ale and a sliced of lemon peel (pithless). With or without angostura. Very good in hot weather too. There must be a LC ginger ale????

• Like Like x 1
    #28407 Viv19, Jun 9, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  8. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

Perfect for guacamole I would think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Fine in salads afaic but then I don't eat many avos:angelic: We saw them in Iceland (it is opposite Waitrose in Ely so don't judge. I am a man of the people really)

• Like Like x 3
  10. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Expert

Eaten today

Bits chocolate
    Black coffee

Eggs and cheese thrown in microwave

Coffee with cream

A couple pieces chocolate

Roast beef slices and cheese and cheese coleslaw

Cups tea with smidgeon of cream
    Water with lemon juice or pinch salt or bit of tonic water in

I might have another coffee with cream later because I still have a bit of cream left...

• Like Like x 3
  11. ianpspurs

Currently 15.04 but I intend this to be it for the day foodwise. Near identikit handpicked day for me so far. Warm, good for about 90 mins grass cutting with cricket watching in between. Sourcing for some parts of the menu not perfect but basically diabetic or no my favoured June day. B= tea then around 11.00 CWC (iffy part), cold infusion tea; NE chicken (ideally from farmers market or own but W1) leaves, pea shoots and edible leaves (W1 not own), cucumber (bought), 1 vine tomato (bought), store bought beetroot salad and coleslaw; fage 0% yogurt (on offer and same carbs as 5%) 150 gms and 56 gms raspberries (bought). More grass cutting, India to win, dog walk then some exercise bike = best day for a while even with the caveat for food provenance. Toodle pip.
    ETA: Failed. @9.00 I needed some cold pork and strong cheddar rather than eating my own arm.

• Like Like x 2
    #28411 ianpspurs, Jun 9, 2019 at 3:16 PM
  12. BibaBee

BibaBee Family member · Well-Known Member

Most supermarkets do a sugar free / diet Ginger Ale. Found this though......https://thethingswellmake.com/homemade-ginger-ale-sugar-free-paleo/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I was wondering about lc ginger ale but I’m sure I’ve never seen it. I think we should ask @maglil55 if she would like a new project - maybe soda water fresh ginger and lemon juice would make an acceptable alternative?
    Angostura used to be common - when old chaps drank pink gin but have only seen it occasionally in larger supermarkets recently. My dad used to drink tonic with angostura and a slither of lemon peel if he wanted a refreshing non alcoholic drink.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I’ve noticed the lack of avocados in your diet! What I want to know is how, given Waitrose and Iceland proximity, you would elect to go in Iceland? Maybe the Ely one is more inviting than the branches I’ve come across.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ianpspurs

Cheap fish and seafood to cook from frozen and, yes, Ely is relatively spiffing. I wouldn't send my enemy into the Huntingdon one.

• Like Like x 3
  16. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

My food today:
    CWC in the morning
    NE1 Carvery lunch at local pub beef, cauli cheese, broccoli, horseradish. The beef there is wonderful: apparently the chef puts it in the oven before he goes off shift on Sat night so it’s ready for Sun lunch. I must ask for more details- it’s moist, tender and delicious. Mr C had 2 plates as he had my Yorkshire’s and spuds and the granddaughter’s meat!
    Bottle of champagne before and red with the meal between 3 so feeling v mellow now.
    Just had some walnuts.
    @BibaBee thanks for the lc ginger ale link
    Thanks to @Tipetoo, @Robbity @Listlad and @ianpspurs for the frozen avo comments too, but @Tipetoo - Avocados in a tube! Really? Not sure I could cope with that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Iceland best for frozen cauli rice and green rice IMO. Btw we have arrived in Cornwall came a day early and spending tonight at the Watergate Bay Hotel. Off to Porthleven tomo night and on to Fowey for Wed. Sooo looking forward to meeting up!

• Like Like x 5
  18. ianpspurs

Cooking beef overnight is defo the way to go. Very low and very slow 60C is lowest our oven goes - only ever done it with large rib joints. 4 rib joints are quite functional done that way.
    ETA: We think small joints aren't worth the effort so these days only the larger ones when 2 or all 3 boys and grandchildren come.

• Like Like x 3
    #28418 ianpspurs, Jun 9, 2019 at 6:44 PM
  19. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple as it is just a variation on LC lemonade which I've made before. It's either 1 ltr soda or fizzy water to the juice of 1 lemon and 2 tablespoons Powdered sweetener. It has to be powdered as you are not heating the mix to dissolve it. You can add more if you want it sweeter but I think 2 tbsp is enough. To make ginger ale you just add ginger juice. Peel and grate ginger root or you can blitz it and strain it through a bit muslin. Add it gradually but I reckon the ginger juice should he the same amount as the powdered sweetener.
    Dead easy - put in a jug and stir.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    #28419 maglil55, Jun 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
  20. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

If ya need a avo hit, just give the tube of avo a quick squeeze onto to a finger for finger licking experience...

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook