What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Far too much eating going on at my house today. Mostly because I was stuck indoors as we had a new woodburner being installed.
B: cheese and ham omelette
L:prawns avocado and sauerkraut
D: mince and cauliflower curry done in IP ( mince &curry spices 15mins then left on keep warm all afternoon and added cauli when we were ready to eat 1 min hp. Very good
The extras were too much CWC and way too much chocolate. All @Goonergal ‘s fault for sending me a link to half price HC 100% Easter eggs. I bought 4 (!) to make p&p worthwhile, then realised I didn’t have to eke out my one remaining egg as I had more coming so scoffed the lot!

@Brunneria I love the idea of prawns in ninjas!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. 6 month results online today - summary in signature. Bg disappointing but the rest - including detailed bloods - paints a picture of 4 years of very nice but unintended consequences. May try to tweak bg slightly over next cycle but my instinct is I function best at higher end and squashing bg will impact negatively on overall wellness and well being. Food? No B - lots of tea then CWC - mainly due to cold,wet and boring. NE1 was h/m guacamole, another avocado, tin of mackerel in EVO and 2 of our eggs. NE2 was thigh from yesterday's chicken, some cold pork and salad- leaves, flowers, cucumber, celery, cherry toms with EVO/ACV vinaigrette. I'm never going to be a happy LCer or low bg guy but right now the unintended upsides offset my doubts.

Good blood results Ian. I tend to agree with you that some people seem to run on higher bg levels than others and so long as they are not in the unhealthy bracket there seems little point in driving for lower and risking putting something else out of kilter. We all need to find our balance and our happy place. Well done.

Viv19

Far too much eating going on at my house today. Mostly because I was stuck indoors as we had a new woodburner being installed.
B: cheese and ham omelette
L:prawns avocado and sauerkraut
D: mince and cauliflower curry done in IP ( mince &curry spices 15mins then left on keep warm all afternoon and added cauli when we were ready to eat 1 min hp. Very good
The extras were too much CWC and way too much chocolate. All @Goonergal ‘s fault for sending me a link to half price HC 100% Easter eggs. I bought 4 (!) to make p&p worthwhile, then realised I didn’t have to eke out my one remaining egg as I had more coming so scoffed the lot!

@Brunneria I love the idea of prawns in ninjas!

You have a really good varied diet. But I can’t quite get my head past prawns, avocado and sauerkraut. The combination is ‘interesting.’ ;)))
I still haven’t dared to try chocolate. Not convinced I could stop at a small amount if it was really good.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

Today started with me forgetting that dratted breakfast nonsense.
Lunch was prawns in ninjas (thank you auto correct, that was supposed to read brinjal) cream.
Supper was my beloved oxtail. :D

Also Lindt 70% :wacky:

Prawn ninjas and lamb burglars, now that would be a good combination.

Oxtail has just been seared and added to the slow cooker here.

Reactions: Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all need to find our balance and our happy place. Well done.
@DJC3 you seem to have mistaken me for someone quite other - not an easy mistake as I'm sure you will agree.:angelic: I think I now fully realise we urgently need a much more detailed and personalised review system with well planned targets and nutritional advice. I am still blundering around 4 years on and country bumpkin or not the pieces of paper suggest that, by the Grace of God, I am not the dimmest. I ain't gonna learn a whole lot from having my feet tickled by nursey later this month.
ETA: For the first time in a long while I feel more comfortable in this thread.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have a really good varied diet. But I can’t quite get my head past prawns, avocado and sauerkraut. The combination is ‘interesting.’ ;)))
I still haven’t dared to try chocolate. Not convinced I could stop at a small amount if it was really good.

I probably wouldn’t recommend the prawn, avo and sauerkraut combo! It was meant to be just prawns & avo but I was excited to have finally got the lid off the sauerkraut - I bought it months ago ( Mr C finally did it by clamping the jar by the lid upside down in his vice)
As for chocolate I’m not quite sure what happened yesterday! I’m not very happy with myself - those Hotel Chocolate 100% eggs are very moreish - they have dried fruit and nuts stuck on the inside so the occasional hit of sweetness in the very intense cocoa flavour. Far too addictive I will have to hide the others from myself when they arrive.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What have I done? A moment of madness!

:D Makes my 2 seem very restrained. Not normally a word used in the same sentence as chocolate and me.

Thankfully both the Montezuma’s shop and Hotel Chocolat were closed when I walked by about half an hour ago so they won’t be appearing on today’s menu.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.4 FBG 7.7. Better get yesterday done before I end up miles behind again! @Goonergal - thankfully my local Morrisons has ran out of Montezuma as the black forest one was becoming too much of a habit. @Brunneria - there's actually a ninja shrimp so the grandson's tell me.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jhMBqQ7YV2MjpMSA7

Seriously, thanks to Octonauts the ninja shrimp is otherwise known as the mantis shrimp. I always thought those cartoons were not accurate on ocean life but they are and the boys have learnt an astonishing amount from it.
B. TAG with ADOC then off on the school run then Aqua.
L. Survived aqua and actually feeling ok. 2 97% pork chipolatas, slice chilli black pudding, fried egg and 2 rashers streaky bacon.
D. 3 lamb chops single loin done in the IP with diced carrot, celery and onion. Cauliflower mash. While the Kenwood was out to dice the veg, once I got the IP on the go I decided to mix together a speedy raspberry mousse. Basically, I put one of these smaller punnets of raspberries into the bowl with 80g philly cream cheese, teaspoon vanilla extract, tablespoon and a bit monkfruit classic sweetener. Gave it a mix, scraped down then added about 150 mls double cream and onto full power to thicken. Into a container and fridge and I have 4 portions of a tart LC mousse. Has 1 serving later with 4 raspberries on top.
DIL informs me that No 2 still has "oor wullie" language in use. I've been reading it to him while we wait for big brother to get out of school. He's developed a fondness for the words for "very tired" with the result that before he goes to bed he now announces he's "fair puggled"!
Edited as BGs mixed up

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55

Ooeerr!

(Warning to Shrimp Phobes, do NOT click on this link! I think they are cute, but there is no accounting for taste)
https://www.google.com/search?q=nin...n-HiAhUR6OAKHZUNCcwQ_AUIECgB&biw=1344&bih=601

There will be more ninja shrimp for lunch today.
And oh look - I missed breakfast AGAIN!
Then supper has yet to be planned, but will probably be one of the Mystery Lumps in the freezer (either oxtail, or oxcheek, or cheesey mince, or something lumpy and stewy)

I love to live dangerously!!!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.9. I mixed up today's BGs with yesterdays but that makes more sense as they're decreasing as I recover. Is anyone experiencing this severe flooding they're talking about? We had flood warnings yesterday and today but the sun's out? That's good though as it's the annual taxi drivers outing along the coast for special needs children. There's been decorated cabs going about most of the morning and they've not long left Musselburgh as Luca's is an annual stop to get ice cream for the kids. Their cabs brighten the day. Been on the go since 1947.
B. TAG with ADOC. Didn't have anything else as I wanted to see where DP would stop. Got to 8.2 then it turned.
L. 2 97% pork chipolatas, last of the GF chilli black pudding, portobello mushroom, 2 rashers crispy streaky bacon, fried egg.
D. Chicken balmoral ( chicken breast stuffed with haggis), mushroom sauce, mini cob and green beans. Another helping of the LC raspberry mousse I made yesterday with 4 raspberries.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterdays food:
Breakfast: scrambled eggs, mushrooms and tomato. Tea.
Lunch: A deconstructed crab sandwich which had sloppy filling not much crab and without the bread was daylight robbery. A shadow of our last experience with same meal, same place last time.
Dinner: 3 queen scallops with hazelnut butter.
Hake in broth with asparagus, peas and brocolli.
1 g&ST 2 glasses wine. Didnt get such good FBG this morning.

Viv19

Bed 6.8 FBG 6.9. I mixed up today's BGs with yesterdays but that makes more sense as they're decreasing as I recover. Is anyone experiencing this severe flooding they're talking about? We had flood warnings yesterday and today but the sun's out? That's good though as it's the annual taxi drivers outing along the coast for special needs children. There's been decorated cabs going about most of the morning and they've not long left Musselburgh as Luca's is an annual stop to get ice cream for the kids. Their cabs brighten the day. Been on the go since 1947.
B. TAG with ADOC. Didn't have anything else as I wanted to see where DP would stop. Got to 8.2 then it turned.
L. 2 97% pork chipolatas, last of the GF chilli black pudding, portobello mushroom, 2 rashers crispy streaky bacon, fried egg.
D. Chicken balmoral ( chicken breast stuffed with haggis), mushroom sauce, mini cob and green beans. Another helping of the LC raspberry mousse I made yesterday with 4 raspberries.

That raspberry mousse sounds wicked. Does it really last 4 days??

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food eaten today.

Actually last night i had a can of Guinness when i went to bed. I was just so tired. I thought it would be too many carbs but it didnt affect me, nor my fbg the next morning.

Breakfast was 3 slices of meat and slices cheese (although cat stole one of the slices of meat...)
Sigh...

Midday was some frozen forest berries, but because i had no cream left (another sigh) i warmed them up in the microwave and poured a bit of sherry over...delicious!

Mid afternoon, my last meal was the beef stew thingy i made yesterday and i added some button mushrooms.

Tea to drink...black...
Water to drink, some with lemon in, some with a pinch of salt in and some with tonic water in.

I also had a bit of chocolate first thing.

So that is probably it. And i ate it in a 6 hour window i would say, so probably fasting for 18 hours now?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Well Montezuma’s and Hotel Chocolat do feature on the menu as we had a longer than expected lunch break during my meetings which provided enough of a window to visit both. Way too much chocolate consumed.

Aside from that breakfast was 2 small packets of nuts.

Lunch was a small tin of wild Alaskan salmon with mayonnaise and some of the delicious Lidl vintage cheddar.

Dinner was slow cooked oxtail.

And I am officially fitter than when I was at school - just sped up a hill that used to have me huffing and puffing!

@Chook it was Jerningham Road!

28051BB5-9E5A-46B6-BD0F-6BAA219188CA.jpeg