What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

We’re off to an old school friend’s birthday party this afternoon/evening. So I had a large mixed salad for lunch because I have no idea what might be on the menu later. Perhaps a mistake- I can hardly move now.
Her daughter who is organising the party is T1 but I think that means that she adjusts her insulin to the food, not that she might eat LC.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly 3 weeks. I bought water today. It’s not just that my bg levels are higher since I’ve been drinking less water, but they were amazingly low when I drank lots. So perhaps I need to drink much more water while I’m working on getting the numbers low permanently.

Sounds like a good idea - certainly couldn’t do any harm.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Then I’ll order some to take back with me. Have you noticed what kind of shelf life the packs have? Don’t want to order lots and discover I have to eat them all within a very short time frame. :))
I don’t suppose you’ve worked out what the recipe might be have you? I usually try to deconstruct food.
There's no date on the packs but I can't see it being something with a short shelf life. The bulk of the 'flour' comes from vital wheat gluten and sweet apricot kernel flour. The rest is the seasonings, the seeds and 7g yeast. Bit I'd be nervous about is the apricot kernel. I can't find a source for it anywhere but more worrying is being able to purchase bitter apricot kernels as they are a source for cyanide. Shades of Dark Widow
I've had 2 slices today. I love the stuff but I must try yeasting the Dr Almond stuff too.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes its ridiculous isn’t it. I actually said ‘no bread or toast’ so I’ve no idea why they put it all in a roll. It’s a terrific waste and so unnecessary. I think we have a lot to learn from the American service industry who by all accounts are used to customers ‘customising’ menu choices and don’t bat an eye.
I always find it funny when I say green veg but no potato and get the reply "would you like chips then?".

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Two eggs in ham and cheese

Chocolate

3 eggs in ham and slice cheese (I need to use up the ham...will not get a big packet next time. Ham tomorrow too...)

Chocolate, and also pork scratchings, also two strawberries, 2 raisins, 4 blueberries,

Coffee with cream x3
Tea x2
Water with pinch salt/lemonjuice/bit of tonic water.

I was a bit stressed this morning trying to find a roofer (when I am stressed I will nibble...), but I got a roofer and he repaired the loose tiles this afternoon.

It’s going to be water the rest of the day. My stomach knows when I have been nibbling too much...

>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast on Dartmoor: scrambled very good eggs, mushrooms, half tomato. Nice pot of tea
Lunch didnt happen but snaffled 5g pack of peanuts in the car.
Supper: chicken shaslik and caulirice soon.
Need to do big Sainsbury shop tomo. Back to normal.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Full Fat Greek Yogurt with mixed seeds, Chia and sliced apricot. Weak decaf tea with dash cream.
L: Skipped - Water
S: Burger with slice cheddar, fried onion, 1 flat mushroom, small tomato and pea shoot salad.
Weak decaf tea with dash cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B=tea; 1 CWC mid morning - free with my purchase of chives (took the cream with me in in the cup)
NE1 (14.20) Avocado and tinned mackerel salad with fave vinaigrette
NE2 (19.00) Salmon, h/g asparagus (cut and cooked within 15 mins) and mushrooms; Fage 5% and raspberries. All very worthy and functional for most things

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
15-06-19
breakfast:
2 eggs scrambled with butter, mashed avocado, and 40g portion of nut granola with. 40ml milk two cups of tea.
mid-morning coffee and another of those so delicious and irresistible chocolate caramel tartlettes. They are only 15g total weight each.
Lunch: garlic sausage, salad, 40g baguette, small chunk of cheese and teaspoon of chutney. water. cup of tea.
Dinner chicken leg and breast, potato, cabbage with carrots and mangetout, chicken broth. yoghurt and berries,
glass of aperol with perrier. Handful of olives.
Calories around 2000, fat 107g, carbs 96g protein 148g.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.3 FBG 6.6. Back to stability it seems. No DP and they've remained pretty stable all day. A day of peace for a change.
B. TAG with ADOC and a slice of that wonderful skinny bread toasted with lurpack. BGs didn't move.
L. Another TAG with ADOC and another slice of skinny bread but this time it became a sandwich with 2 slices of tomato, some of yesterday's chicken and mayo. That did nothing to the BGs either.
D. Rack of pork ribs with chimichurri rub and a salad of lettuce, rest of the tomato that was on my sandwich, few slices cucumber, 1/4 avocado and 1 beetroot. The required mayo.
Later more of the raspberry mousse and 5 raspberries.
@Viv19 - I checked the Dr Almond bread mix packs and they are dated to February 2021 so shelf life seems to be 2 years (I've had them since February).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quickie from me today-
Too excited for breakfast. Just CWC
Went to pick up Dennis our new miniature schnauzer puppy!!!!( photo on the full chat fbg thread if anyone would like to see)
Lunch: Lidl Italian antipasti platter.
D: spicy chicken wings from Sainsbury’s hot counter, green leaves and olive oil. Slice of Leerdammer afterwards as I was still hungry.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: A seafood platter at the bowls club, some beers to help it down.
Dinner: Pork chops and veggies.
Breakfast: Cheeses and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, beer, water.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
C707692A-35D5-4D01-9C87-95E0CED245A7.jpeg
Strange day food wise, winging it a lot, which I don’t often do!
Breakfast as normal my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch during a six hour round trip to fetch daughter and all her stuff home from Uni, we picked up food at M&S at the motor way services: ham and egg salad with crackling crisps and bacon strips.
Mid afternoon back home: coffee chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner, a ‘beige buffet’ at my BIL’s 50th birthday party: I picked chicken drumsticks, peanuts, peeled (!) sausage rolls and peeled chicken nuggets plus a couple of Babybels I took with me, also the only two elements of the buffet that weren’t brown cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks, not too many carbs I hope.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello everyone :)

I hope everyone is well and relaxed.

I"m back from holiday - we definitely could have picked a better two weeks for English seaside holiday but we had a good time despite the torrential rain on most days. I've definitely had far too much wine and carbs so, starting tomorrow, I'm on the wine and carbs wagon. The plan is for a meat, (one daily mug of) decaff black coffee and water only week which I might carry on for further week or two until my BG is back to where it should be.

Today, though, the menu is

Breakfast: egg, bacon, chipolata sausages, mushrooms and some baked beans

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: slow cooked brisket beef, celeriac and swede stew

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone :)

I hope everyone is well and relaxed.

I"m back from holiday - we definitely could have picked a better two weeks for English seaside holiday but we had a good time despite the torrential rain on most days. I've definitely had far too much wine and carbs so, starting tomorrow, I'm on the wine and carbs wagon. The plan is for a meat, (one daily mug of) decaff black coffee and water only week which I might carry on for further week or two until my BG is back to where it should be.

Today, though, the menu is

Breakfast: egg, bacon, chipolata sausages, mushrooms and some baked beans

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: slow cooked brisket beef, celeriac and swede stew
Glad you had a good time even if you are now contemplating some kind of boot camp diet as a result. All sounds a little drastic so take care.

Reactions: gennepher and Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back @Chook. It certainly has been pretty vile but as you say you can always find something to do. I'm currently looking for a new waterproof for our break in a few weeks time. Not long back from swimming. Boys have their next certificates so they're quite happy. In laws arrive from Australia on Thursday and still 2 weeks of school to go.
Bed 6.4 FBG was also 6.4. Still pretty stable.
B. TAG with ADOC and yet another slice of skinny bread with Philadelphia and tomato.
L. Nothing at swimming lessons
D. Lamb kebab with mint sauce and a veggie kebab. I also have an assortment of greens.
Usual campari and soda. Might have the raspberry mousse stuff later.
@DJC3 - the new puppy is super cute. My niece has a pure white one and he's as daft as a brush!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys like @Chook I’m back after longish absence - good to talk to you all again - my break included a week in sunny Spain plus time before and after with mum in a rainy York’s. Will just list a few things today and then get back to normal food recording tomorrow evening. Will also aim to catch up with reading your many many entries if get time!
Mum unfortunately wasn’t too well in Spain but been to drs since back and hopefully sorting out her meds will help her get back to level. I also had a bad fall in Spain and landed heavily on my left knee so still recovering from that - the wound and bruising settling but knee joint still recovering! No doubt will settle soon with some rest and hope to do some swimming in the week (could do this in parts of flooded Bewdley at moment!)
Hotel buffet food was amazing no worries re carbs tended to have bacon and eggs or omelette for breakfast with small glass of fizz! and for dinner fish first course - range of amazing fish and a main with meat or fish and small salad followed by cheese selection. We also had nut nibbles before meal so probably ate more than should but stayed low carb. Much better experience than last year food wise in Spain.
Wonderful father’s day today with both boys over had steak, cauliflower cheese, mushrooms and asparagus followed by a couple of strawberries and fage 5% yoghurt.