What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it is quite folk lore as such.

I think it just means don't eat pork in the warmer months, because you did not have a fridge in days gone by, and I didn't have a fridge when I left home and next day in the warmer months the pork was full of maggots....
People in Ye Olde Fens had meat safes but were still wary of pork in summer. I agree it was related to refrigeration but since we still think Good Queen Bess 1 is about we don't risk pork from April to end of August.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doubt you will develop full blown dislike but a day with Montezuma's plus a combination of cauli cheese and cabbage is seriously odd:banghead: That would challenge even the most hardcore devotee and roast pork in late June is every kind of wrong:arghh:

Montezuma’s was most definitely the highlight of the day. I didn’t know pork had seasons - I bought it as it was a yellow sticker joint from a supermarket, wasn’t expecting it to be as good as the meat from the butcher in Cornwall but it was really uninspiring and pretty tasteless.

D

Deleted member 308541

People in Ye Olde Fens had meat safes but were still wary of pork in summer. I agree it was related to refrigeration but since we still think Good Queen Bess 1 is about we don't risk pork from April to end of August.
There were a couple of pork butcher shops around Reigate when I started my butchering apprenticeship in 1960. They had been in the same town for ever as they were pretty old then,

My boss and I used to go to Wisbech in Cambridgeshire, to get strawberries at the Wednesday market there. Once we loaded up what we had bought we used to call into a pork butcher there and get a load of his individual pork pies, faggits, etc. I think the shops name was Curries as that seems to stick in the mind (not to be confused with the electrical shop of the same name).

Mmmm pork pies...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Montezuma’s was most definitely the highlight of the day. .
Some days are diamonds, some days are rust, eh? Had you really never heard of not eating pork unless there is an r in the month? What about not eating sprouts until they have had a frost on them? @Tipetoo great story. Wisbech is quite picturesque but rather like an Old West frontier town these days. Were the strawberries Cambridge favourites - by far the sweetest?

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Knee held up to three long walks with Cooper all hilly as it is hilly here in Worcestershire. Bit sore but did it. Cooper crashed after second walk but was then looking round for more so took him on early evening one and now in garden throwing balls to tire him out I will need good sleep tonight.
Very impressed with my libre so far it’s pretty similar results to my fingerprick samples I did to check so will just go with libre now for the two weeks. Fascinating to see all that data!
Coffee with cream and black teaall day
One meal chicken, salad, bits of cheese and hm seeded crackers and glass red wine followed by sf jelly and yoghurt now in garden with decaf coffee and small amount of 100% choc.
@Tori71 good to see you back hugs for your arm
@PenguinMum have good weekend with son will be hard but goodcity to visit.
@Chook hugs for medical mess hate hanging around hope it was worth it ie helpful outcome for mr C
@gennepher you can never have too much cheese in my opinion.

Omad isn’t your normal way of things @shelley262 was it just the way today panned out or are you experimenting with Libre data?
Glad your knee held up to Cooper’s demands.

Reactions: gennepher

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 5 of my holibobs
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Babybels and leafy salad with two cherry tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon at Starbucks: White chocolate carb killa bar and a coconut cappuccino.
Dinner: bunless burger: one beef burger, one chicken fillet, bacon and cheese with a side salad instead of chips, (I left the dressing which tasted of lemon but was quite sweet), followed by a CCB with cream back in our lodge.

2F59B487-1FFE-42C8-A3D0-DDDC704F4023.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Omad isn’t your normal way of things @shelley262 was it just the way today panned out or are you experimenting with Libre data?
Glad your knee held up to Cooper’s demands.
I wanted to see how fasting affected me and also busy day - I meant to eat breakfast and then fast to dinner but had to dash out. I’ve done just breakfast and dinner all this week to tighten up my weight - as I was at the top of my own maintenance range after Spain but now right back in middle so will move back steadily to three small meals. My bgs got very low with all day fast to 3.4 but then after meal up briefly after half an hour to 5.8 but back down to 4.8 two hours later. Interesting stuff will be interesting to see what I’m like overnight. Cooper is crashed out on my knees on sofa!

D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo great story. Wisbech is quite picturesque but rather like an Old West frontier town these days. Were the strawberries Cambridge favourites - by far the sweetest?
I cannot remember the name of the strawberries to long ago now, I visited a friend in St. Ives up that way in 1986 the last time I was in the UK, that was bad as well. It would not have happened in Ollies time, :D

Reactions: Chook

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: egg spinach and mushroom omelet.
Lunch: Corned beef and feta cheese with salad leaves. Just ate what needed eating in the fridge.
Supper Chicken korma - very nice, didn't bother with cauli rice. Hardly shifted my bloods so will be sure to make this again.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot remember the name of the strawberries to long ago now, I visited a friend in St. Ives up that way in 1986 the last time I was in the UK, that was bad as well. It would not have happened in Ollies time, :D
Wow. St Ives is basically where I live atm although not for much longer.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some days are diamonds, some days are rust, eh? Had you really never heard of not eating pork unless there is an r in the month? What about not eating sprouts until they have had a frost on them? @Tipetoo great story. Wisbech is quite picturesque but rather like an Old West frontier town these days. Were the strawberries Cambridge favourites - by far the sweetest?

No never heard that, thought that was for pheasant shooting? Also the sprout frost thing I knew parsnips need a frost but not sprouts. My dad always grew his own veg - we had homegrown parsnips for Christmas dinner every year.
Don’t think the ‘r’ had anything to do with the quality of the pork really, it just wasn’t a particularly good joint of meat, typical supermarket fare.

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wanted to see how fasting affected me and also busy day - I meant to eat breakfast and then fast to dinner but had to dash out. I’ve done just breakfast and dinner all this week to tighten up my weight - as I was at the top of my own maintenance range after Spain but now right back in middle so will move back steadily to three small meals. My bgs got very low with all day fast to 3.4 but then after meal up briefly after half an hour to 5.8 but back down to 4.8 two hours later. Interesting stuff will be interesting to see what I’m like overnight. Cooper is crashed out on my knees on sofa!
Can’t beat a sleepy dog in your knees to bring down bg either!
Must be really interesting looking at all theLibre data.
Well done for bringing your weight under control again so quickly.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Beautiful day here in sunny Yorkshire (well, for the intervals between the clouds, anyway.)

Mr C swears that sprouts, winter cabbages and parsnips taste much nicer after a frost - they taste just the same to me. We used to grow all our own fruit and veg but nowadays (due to not enough time) its restricted to the fruit cage at the bottom of the garden and my greenhouse.

Today...

Breakfast: bacon and eggs

Lunch: small chunk of cheese

Dinner: Roast chicken, sausagemeat stuffing balls, carrots, cauliflower and chard and courgettes (both frim the garden). Also some sugar free h/m cranberry sauce and gravy.

Dessert: Strawberries from the garden (@ianpspurs our strawberries are Cambridge something - they are huge and so sweet and strawberryish that they don't taste real - nothing like shop bought)

Drinks: black decaff coffee, plenty of water and some red wine

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beautiful day here in sunny Yorkshire (well, for the intervals between the clouds, anyway.)

Mr C swears that sprouts, winter cabbages and parsnips taste much nicer after a frost - they taste just the same to me. We used to grow all our own fruit and veg but nowadays (due to not enough time) its restricted to the fruit cage at the bottom of the garden and my greenhouse.

Today...

Breakfast: bacon and eggs

Lunch: small chunk of cheese

Dinner: Roast chicken, sausagemeat stuffing balls, carrots, cauliflower and chard and courgettes (both frim the garden). Also some sugar free h/m cranberry sauce and gravy.

Dessert: Strawberries from the garden (@ianpspurs our strawberries are Cambridge something - they are huge and so sweet and strawberryish that they don't taste real - nothing like shop bought)

Drinks: black decaff coffee, plenty of water and some red wine
Tell Mr C that he is completely correct on the effect of frost on those vegetables and enjoy those strawberries. Chivers had a base near Cambridge which probably gave rise to those strawberries and over the past 20 years an event called strawberry fair has been revived.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think the shop bought strawberries this year are as good as other years but maybe my tastebuds have changed too much! I miss fruit. When we were on hols in Fowey they had wedges of juicy oranges on the breakfast buffet table and I succombed to two of them both days. What a joy that was!
Today’s food:
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, butter, tea. NB. Toast has to be cooled with tons of butter!
Lunch: Going through paperwork avalanche with OH so a kind of working lunch. He had chicken mayo sandwich, I had rollitos and coffee.
Supper: will be various meats off the bbq around 7pm and some salad.
Its Saturday so a couple of G&STs will be enjoyed.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Bits dark chocolate and black coffee

Second black coffee

Coffee with cream

Boiled eggs wrapped in slices of beef and slivers of cheese, but cat pinched one of the slices of beef and shot out the window. I forgive him since he is 27 years old...

Frozen berries with double cream

Coffee with cream

Then boiled eggs in cheese coleslaw and a couple slices of ham. Cat looked at me as though to say where’s the beef...

Drinking cups of tea with a dash of cream

And the usual three bottles water with pinch salt/lemon/tonic water in

That is it...