1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Rachox

Rachox Other · Type 2 - well controlled. Moderator.
    Staff Member

Last day of my holibobs got back home late
    Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
    Late morning: raspberry Phd and a coconut cappuccino
    Late lunch by the pool: cold meats and cheese with pork crackling followed by SF jelly and a CCB
    Dinner at Bella Italia: bolognese spiroli.

7092CB8A-3158-447E-A165-DA951D89B41B.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for that help. I hadn’t thought of freezing the cauliflower and broccoli- good idea. That cauliflower! Whether I’ve grated it in the processor, grated it by hand or chopped finely with a knife, it always manages to spread itself everywhere. It seems to jump - over the work surface, me and the floor. Doing a large batch at a time is a great solution. And I’ll pick up some rollitos and try them out. Though manchego cheese in deepest Bavaria???? We are country mice so it’s a case of ‘if the farmer’s wife doesn’t cook with it .....’. Not wanting to be rude to the farmer’s wife of course. Spanish ham is available though!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Morning All!

Yesterday was
    B: none
    L: half a small truckle of mature cheddar with butter
    D: brisket, homemade gravy, butter and more cheese

Not a very active day.

@maglil55
    you asked about the LC GF cake. Ah, happy memories.
    It was from the fabulous cafe in Tyninghame. It did have sugar in it, and as icing, but the flour was almond, and it was by far the lowest carb thing there. I always discard the sickly icing anyway, so that wasn't a problem for me. That teashop is wonderful, on many levels, including that they let the dogs inside (we had had enough sun earlier that day!), although on another day, sitting outside in their courtyard would have been lovely.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm avoiding food with sharp edges - in fact with this sore throat everything feels like its got sharp edges. I'm craving Heinz cream of tomato soup and Tiger bread like i always do when I'm poorly. Luckily I haven't got either in the house.

Today...

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (lots)

Lunch: 10 cal jelly

Dinner: home made cream of mushroom soup (using up the h/m chicken stock blocks in my freezer)

Drinks: black decaff coffee and lots of water

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Hope the throat gets better soon but the menu seems soothing and LC so discipline excellent in trying conditions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry about the bad throat, nothing worse imo. Try melting a square of dark choc on your tongue as can be quite soothing too. If you feel like you have razor blades in your throat you might need checking for Tonsilitis, just a thought. Do take care.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Breakfast was 1 sausage (home made), a slice of bacon and 2 fried eggs.
    Lunch was strawberries and cream (I went back and reloaded with strawberries).
    Dinner will be oxtail stew - another package from the freezer which had lost its label.
    I haven't had coffee for months now - maybe 18 or so but today I fancied a cup of black coffee and I don't understand why I stopped drinking it, so I just had another (to settle my stomach after all those strawberries).

• Like Like x 8
  9. PenguinMum

Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x 2.
    Lunch: ham, salad, coleslaw small plate.
    Supper: spatchcock chicken, tenderstem brocolli.
    Trying to not have afters lately to help FBG but not working very well!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Another hungry day - had to give up on not having breakfast by 10am and had smoked salmon and scrambled egg.
    Couple of hours or so later a few slices of salami and 2 choc Nut squares.
    Mid aft 1 Baby bell
    Dinner will be marinated chicken thighs ( similar to to tandoori but no chilli) with cabbage slaw and salad. Probably some Montezuma’s too.
    I’ve been getting an afternoon slump recently - like a sugar crash but my menus haven’t changed recently so I’ve been trying to figure out why. The only thing that springs to mind is too much coffee in the morning causing a bit of withdrawal later. (I don’t drink it after about 12 noon) I’m going to limit it to 2 mugs tomorrow. ( if possible)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Generally low energy day after swimming lesson. Low energy has been the story since last Tuesday - didn't think 1 birthday would make such a difference. So the energy giving menu. B=tea; swim then lemon and ginger tea. NE1 = flaxseed crackers (2xL), h/g and h/m egg mayo with grated cheddar plus cherry toms and cucumber. Then St Paul sums me up "So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of good nutrition, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of stupid eating." Salami, emmental slices and cooked bacon in the fridge and I was tired rather than hungry but I ate. NE2 not sure: had analysed for a mackerel salad but that's a bit healthy for today. May have Fage and 10 cal jelly and move on chastened but none the wiser.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #28951 ianpspurs, Jun 25, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  12. Viv19

That’s horrible, sorry to hear you’re ill. Heinz tomato soup was our regular soothing meal when we were ill as kids. In case you’re not eating much, Heinz cream of tomato soup has 6.7 gms carbs in 100 ml. :) so might it still be possible?

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. PenguinMum

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all
    Good news re the libre sensor and my swim this morning- I did use some clear waterproof dressing - as suggested by @maglil55 - and also restricted to 20 lengths, about 15mins, to make sure but did do 20 minsin jacuzzi with arm kept out on side ( did have lots of splashes though), 3 mins in steam room and 5 in sauna. I’m thrilled that it hasn’t seemed to have affected it at all. Readings post water immersion very similar to yesterday’s ones - @maglil55 thank you for advice this gave me confidence to go for it. Love being back in gym and pool after absence due to hols and then knee injury.
    Breakfast after gym and swim bacon and egg
    Lunch half tin sardinesin olive oil with five lc seeded crispbreads
    Dinner salmon in lemon butter served with asparagus followed by hm rhubarb fool and just about to have decaf coffee withsmall piece of 100% choc.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. Viv19

Tea
    Halfway through the morning I was v hungry so had some nuts and cheese cubes.
    Cwc
    Lunch 2 sausages with a mixed salad. Berries and yoghurt
    Tea
    LC roll toasted, one side with Camembert, the other with Gouda and ham. More berries and yoghurt. (Needing some comfort food and that fills the bill) Tea.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.

I'm okay sticking with low carb foods - i have to be because thats all thats in the house. (Mr C hides his stash of carborific goodies in his desk at work). The sore throat is morphing in to a cough but at least the headache is almost gone.

I wonder what the person i caught this of off was at the doctor's for? Worrying!

• Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 1
  17. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's just dawned on me what you mean (as an android user) and yes I do close down all the Apps. I use Power Clean to shut down the Apps working away in the background quite a few times a day.

• Like Like x 3
  18. dunelm

Yep, those clever Romans knew all about arguments between mind and body.

• Like Like x 2
  19. dunelm

Ate earlier than usual, 1000 - bacon, egg, sausage, black pudding, tinned tomato, mushrooms and black koffy.

Dinner: home made Spanish meatballs in a tomato and roasted red pepper sauce with mushrooms, parsley and grated manchego.

Pudding - kefir, Greek yoghurt and berries with home made granola- Merlot again.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Rachox

Rachox Other · Type 2 - well controlled. Moderator.
    Staff Member

Back to being good today, not that I was high carb on holiday just more food and snacks than normal :woot:
    Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
    Lunch: fried eggs and bacon followed by Greek yoghurt and coconut.
    Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
    Dinner: cheese (mature cheddar and mozzarella) omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook