What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Some wild stuff was eaten at the bowls club, I ate the fillings and dumped the skins. There was a tray of strawberries with a chocalate dipping sauce that was 70 gram carbs / 100 grams carbs. Wicked stuff.
Dinner: Nile perch.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea, beer, water.

You could make that chocolate dipping sauce with condensed milk, extra sugar, and cocoa, that's what my partner reckoned it was like.

Edit: Here's pix of the Wicked stuff, no nutrition info though.

9612210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DCUKMod, @Rachox, I’m really looking forward to trying this ‘cauldron’ out. There are those who might say that cauldron was exactly the correct description. But I don’t listen to them.
I do have a question. On the reviews on Amazon, a few people said that some food can make the seals smell of that food - I imagine curries etc - and that extra seals should be bought. I had the impression that the smell wears off eventually. Have you found this? Should I order extra seals? And any ‘impossible to do without’ extras?
I’m not a ‘cauldron’ convert (yet!) but I am a silicon mould convert!

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod, @Rachox, I’m really looking forward to trying this ‘cauldron’ out. There are those who might say that cauldron was exactly the correct description. But I don’t listen to them.
I do have a question. On the reviews on Amazon, a few people said that some food can make the seals smell of that food - I imagine curries etc - and that extra seals should be bought. I had the impression that the smell wears off eventually. Have you found this? Should I order extra seals? And any ‘impossible to do without’ extras?

I tend not to cook sweet things in it, as we eat few sweet things, so that's no reason for me to have multiple seals.

For smellier,...... I mean more aromatic dishes, I just wash the sealing ring afterwards, and leave it on top of the pot to air. I tend to store the lid, upside down on the pot, so it gets plenty of air.

Must look and see when I bought my original pot. It's been a while, and I'm still on the original seal.

The only extras/accessories I use very regularly are a steamer basket, a lotus style steamer and a couple of stainless steel bowls for cooking pot-in-pot, which works really well for small amounts or reheating single portions.

I have a taller trivet I like, but that's very much a like, rather than a need. I didn't buy any extras for ages.

My steamers are a bit like these: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stabil-steamer-insert-stainless-steel-90112531/ and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steamers-Stainless-Accessories-Vegetable-Dishwasher/dp/B07MC38GVR/ref=sr_1_34?crid=15G23JNGQIYAM&keywords=steamer+basket+stainless+steel&qid=1563401835&s=gateway&sprefix=Steamer+basket,aps,155&sr=8-34

They're used for pressure cooking, so not just for steaming.

Don't go mad on extras. You probably have things you can use with it already.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I read the same and bought extra silicone seals straight away but they are still in the packet! Yes the seal will pick up smells but It has never imparted smell or taste to the next dish I make in it so personally I wouldn’t bother buying more deals. Just rinse the one you’ve got after cooking.
I agree with @DCUKMod don’t go mad on extras yet until you see how you are going to use it. You might find you have utensils- bowls, steaming baskets etc that will suit it already

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
17-07-19
Breakfast
Spinach beet leaves from the garden, 2 eggs scrambled with butter large handful of mixed nuts. Have not got round to making nut granola yet.
Today we were laying underfloor heating. Once the mat was down, the hard work began. We used eight bags of self levelling compound, all of it mixed by yours truly using the biggest mouli mixer in the world. Was a bit disconcerted to find he had to spread it out with a trowel.
Lunch: usual salad, tiny 30, maybe 40g piece of baguette and pate.
Finished laying the levelling compound about 5pm, shower, off to supermarket. Deliberately didn't go this morning as it is market day. Back about 6.30pm
Dinner fried fillet of hake, few potatoes for him, carrots, green beans and peas for both. Piece of flan( the French version of egg custard tart) didn't push me over the carb limit for the day.
However checking found I was short on everything, calories, fat, carbs and protein. So had big lump of cheese on a cream cracker, then dish of greek yoghurt. Glass of wine , but by end of day still short a few calories.
Hope no more weight lost this week.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Please can I have the recipe?
This is very much a throw-together type recipe so I don't have exact quantities. Grate 2 (deseeded) courgettes and use paper towels to mop up any excess fluid. I often leave these to air dry a bit. Make a batter out of about 100g of gram (chickpea) flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp cumin powder. Mix one egg with 100ml of almond milk. Pour this into the dry ingredients to make a fairly thick batter. Stir in the courgettes and grated cheddar. Heat oil in a frypan, add large spoonfuls of batter. Cook until golden brown then turn each fritter over and cook on the other side.
This could be done with less gram flour and another egg. Or no eggs and ground chia seeds as a binding agent. Also works with feta and other vegetables like cooked, well-drained, shredded swiss chard or spinach. Sweet corn is great but a bit carby.
And for a really low carb option there are recipes online for ricotta pancakes or fritters that do not have any flour in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and Viv19

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Been feeling a bit off for the last few days and trying to avoid taking co-codamol, which usually sorts me out, but makes me sleepy. Had some breakfast, but I just used the broken bits of oatcake left in the biscuit box with some cheese - couldn't be bothered to do anything else. It put my BG up, of course (now hovering around 11-12) but it was already high. Don't know if it was high because I was feeling ill, or if I was feeling ill because it was high. Anyway, eventually took co-codamol and went back to bed for an hour. Feeling a bit better but didn't bother with lunch.
Dinner will have to be the chicken thighs I took out of the freezer last night but right now can't think what I intended to do with them (still a bit woozy).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is very much a throw-together type recipe so I don't have exact quantities. Grate 2 (deseeded) courgettes and use paper towels to mop up any excess fluid. I often leave these to air dry a bit. Make a batter out of about 100g of gram (chickpea) flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp cumin derived. Mix one egg with 100ml of almond milk. Pour this into the dry ingredients to make a fairly thick batter. Stir in the courgettes and grated cheddar. Heat oil in a frypan, add large spoonfuls of batter. Cook until golden brown then turn each fritter over and cook on the other side.
This could be done with less gram flour and another egg. Or no eggs and ground chia seeds as a binding agent. Also works with feta and other vegetables like cooked, we-drained, shredded swiss chard or spinach. Sweet corn is great but a bit carby.
And for a really low carb option there are recipes online for ricotta pancakes or fritters that do not have any flour in them.

I'll try this - it sounds good!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Dark chocolate bits
Cashew nuts
black coffee x2

Eggs and cheese thrown in microwave
cwc

cups tea and water

3 slices corned beef
UPDATE: I forgot the cup bone broth I had with the corned beef...

Then iceberg lettuce leaves with butter on, and I opened a Philadelphia cheese...more lettuce leaves until I finished the entire container of Philly...I really enjoyed it, and I have not had Philly cheese for a few years...but no idea if this has messed up my fbg for tomorrow...

>^..^<

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I am so envious of you going to the Real Food Rocks festival. I see Ivor Cummings is replacing Assem Malhotra now. Should be good, have a great weekend.
My food today was CWC this morning.
L: 2 scrambled eggs and a slice of butchers roast ham (50g) then SF jelly and cream and 1 square of the gorgeous 90% American chocolate.
D:Lamb shanks cooked in IP (34 mins) with a glut of red wine and some home made chicken stock. Bay leaf, herbs some carrot and onion for Mr C. I chucked some cauliflower in for me at the end. Glass of red and a bit of Yarg afterwards

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DN appt a bit mixed as expected - with excellent hbaca1 of 30 up just one from previous 29, and all other tests normal - except cholesterol which, as expected, was high as usual and so statins discussion yet again. I’ve also not been officially given my cholesterol breakdown just what I could glimpse on the screen and was told at the time. Statins politely declined as they caused me many side effects when tried before a few years ago so really not keen for me. Even when I was on a very very low fat and high carb diet my cholesterol results were naturally highish as are my nearly 89 year old mums. I think I will be having to have a further discussion with gp yet before they are put on my online test results.
Anyway back to topic:
Breakfast half slice hi lo toast and egg
Lunch nuts, celery, cheese and some 100% choc.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter and cauliflower cheese followed by a few home grown berries with spoon each of cream and yoghurt.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 brilliant results, you are a real trail blazer. Also well done on resisting the statins. I have started Benecol drinks only because a) Rachox takes them and b) they are tiny and yogurty taste because I dont like dairy other than cheese. My next bloods arent till end of year so will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.
Well done you again. You are always an inspiration to me.

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over tuna melts (they aren’t going to make it to the freezer!) with leafy salad and two mini plum tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: birthday cake Carb Killa bar and black coffee.
Dinner: mature cheddar cheese omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 brilliant results, you are a real trail blazer. Also well done on resisting the statins. I have started Benecol drinks only because a) Rachox takes them and b) they are tiny and yogurty taste because I dont like dairy other than cheese. My next bloods arent till end of year so will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.
Well done you again. You are always an inspiration to me.
I’ve tried many many things including plant sterols but think it’s both to do with my liver producing lots of cholesterol and being in ketosis so getting my energy from fat not sugar it has to move around the blood somehow!