What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Day 11. Back on track.
B. HiLo toast with butter and vegemite, black tea.
One hour walk, 2 black coffees in cafe.
L. 2 black bean empanadas, 2 Tuscan bites, leaves, baby plum tomatoes, cucumber, half an avocado, small apricot.
Snack. mixed, salted nuts
D. Gazpacho, cold salmon fillet, prawns, lots more salad, olives

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@DJC3 and @SlimLizzy electrolytes are just the right mix for body of sodium, potassium and magnesium - marketed for sports pros to take before and after exercise to rehydrate and prevent cramps. On keto and in the heat it’s easy to dehydrate and especially if hot which is when I seem to be particularly vulnerable to leg cramps at night. I normally add Himalayan pink salt to meals and take a mix of magnesium and potassium to stop the leg cramps and works most of time but giving this ready mix capsule a go and does seem to work at mo.
Edit to add
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OU7YXU2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@ianpspurs these are ones use I can’t abide sweet drinks even if no sugar in them so gone for capsules.
@Brunneria it is difficult with dogs in hot weather isn’t it? Went on very early am walk and will do late again as it cools down but think we are not quite as hot in the west of uk as the south east. It’s cloudy here first thing. @gennepher and @maglil55 hope you’re recovering from your falls.
Thanks for giving me the details about Electrolytes, was wondering if they would be useful for MrSlim, he suffers with leg cramps fairly frequently. However he needs a low protein, low potassium diet. So sadly this is not the answer.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it has arrived DCUKMod! But it’s the same as all new more complicated things that I get (like new laptop/phone etc) - I need to wait for a day when I can concentrate on it and try it out in peace and quiet. I bought some casserole meat, and thought I would read, inwardly digest and have a go tomorrow.

Excellent. Don't wait. Folks can sometimes get fearful of it, until they try it.

Reactions: DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Cheese and vegimite sandwich with possum tomatoes out at the shed.
Dinner: Pork chops and veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Black coffee / tea no additives, a lot of water.

Back to the block today as the wildlife mob are coming in to remove a mob of kangaroos and wallabies, and release them in the local national park.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Early start
Breakfast: 6am, nut granola and real tea.
Second breakfast on the ferry 8.30, we only just made it...by one minute.
Full English, bacon.sausage eggs tomato and a small hash brown type thingy, no beans, no toast.
Lunch 12ish no LC choices except tuna salade nicoise.
Long drive to parents house, dinner ready when we arrive @ 6.45pm.
Dinner roast chicken with stuffing, aunty bessies roast potatoes, sliced potatoes in a creamy sauce, roasted mixed vegetables (parsnips, sweet potatoes, and red peppers) braised leeks
Dessert, lemon tart decorated with fresh raspberries, and an Apple tart.
Total carbfest. My mother is Type2! But she says only just, HbA1c 48 and doesn't worry about it. Then again she is 86.
For me though, obliged to have some of everything, it's too much. She worries I don't eat enough. Knows I am still losing weight. So Lemon tart for me Apple tart for Dad, ofc we all have a slice of each. Although I did leave most of the pastry. Can see this is not going to be easy.
Motorhome booked in for MOT tomorrow morning.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
First thing (late at 0830) - Tea and co-codamol. This has to stop, I'm taking too much of it.
Breakfast - having tested and found my BG up from 9.5 first thing to 13.5, I faltered a bit and had 35 units of Humilin S followed by 2 RyVita and Marmite. Haven't tested again - don't really want to know.
Lunch - won't happen
Dinner - will have to be some salmon and broccoli. Doesn't sound too interesting. Nothing much else available - shopping day tomorrow.
Quite apart from the BG issue, I have been low carbing for ages to try to lose some weight - it hasn't happened either. I'm really gross but it isn't food that does it,that's for sure. Lack of mobility probably plus fluid retention - not helped by diuretics prescribed by doctors. Oh I do get fed up with myself!:):(:)?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First thing (late at 0830) - Tea and co-codamol. This has to stop, I'm taking too much of it.
Breakfast - having tested and found my BG up from 9.5 first thing to 13.5, I faltered a bit and had 35 units of Humilin S followed by 2 RyVita and Marmite. Haven't tested again - don't really want to know.
Lunch - won't happen
Dinner - will have to be some salmon and broccoli. Doesn't sound too interesting. Nothing much else available - shopping day tomorrow.
Quite apart from the BG issue, I have been low carbing for ages to try to lose some weight - it hasn't happened either. I'm really gross but it isn't food that does it,that's for sure. Lack of mobility probably plus fluid retention - not helped by diuretics prescribed by doctors. Oh I do get fed up with myself!:):(:)?
Ann Please dont be too hard on yourself, a woman who is happy with how she looks is a rare creature. The important thing is you are trying to improve your lot and get healthier and it can't be easy with a lack of mobility. Keep going with eating carefully and it will help. Best wishes. PS. Your supper plan is a tegular of mine!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann Please dont be too hard on yourself, a woman who is happy with how she looks is a rare creature. The important thing is you are trying to improve your lot and get healthier and it can't be easy with a lack of mobility. Keep going with eating carefully and it will help. Best wishes. PS. Your supper plan is a tegular of mine!
Thanks for your kind words @PenguinMum. I don't expect to be any kind of beauty - that expectation ended a good few years ago and I've always said I wasn't vain. Wrong - at 17 stone and 5 ft 5, I really am far from a thing of beauty and I find that it bothers me. However, apart from my actual looks, which won't improve (doctors said the scar would fade, but it didn't, just got worse) I can cope with that, it's the weight which does bother me. If I pass a mirror and happen to catch a glimpse of myself, I hate what I see. It really is gross. People (friends/family) will insist on taking photos of me as well, although I object :(. Then they go and show me the result, not realising that I am cringing :inpain:. Never mind - the real problem is that the weight is dangerous! I can only do what I can - medics don't seem to have any ideas either - just say I am over-eating. I suppose I am, food in + energy used = weight loss; food in + energy not used = weight put on. The best I can hope for is that, by eating the way I am, I won't get much heavier or more unfit than ever.:depressed:

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Off work with the lurgy today. Feeling pretty dreadful.

Food has been quick and simple. Lunch was pan fried sea bass fillet with lemon butter. Dinner was ribeye steak with some more butter followed by 15g melted (hardly needed the microwave given the temperature in my flat) American 90% chocolate mixed with extra thick double cream and then a 20g piece of cheese.

Have been adding fresh lime juice to iced water all day too - had forgotten how delicious that is.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb as they say beauty can be inside as well as outside. Because of your meds I cant offer any advice other than eat as sensibly as you can avoiding all the bad stuff. I dont know if your DN is helpful.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Off work with the lurgy today. Feeling pretty dreadful.

Food has been quick and simple. Lunch was pan fried sea bass fillet with lemon butter. Dinner was ribeye steak with some more butter followed by 15g melted (hardly needed the microwave given the temperature in my flat) American 90% chocolate mixed with extra thick double cream and then a 20g piece of cheese.

Have been adding fresh lime juice to iced water all day too - had forgotten how delicious that is.
Sorry to hear of the lurgy...summer colds are horrible. Are you certain it isnt bad hay fever? I thought I has a cold on waking !Monday, coughing, sneezing my head off but a couple of hours after a dose of anti histamin I was fine. Take care.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear of the lurgy...summer colds are horrible. Are you certain it isnt bad hay fever? I thought I has a cold on waking !Monday, coughing, sneezing my head off but a couple of hours after a dose of anti histamin I was fine. Take care.

Thanks. I actually think it’s flu - came on very suddenly and lots of aches and pains. Nose is stuffy but very little sneezing. It’s been a while since I had anything like this.

Used to get very bad hayfever but it all but vanished several years ago after an extended spell of acupuncture which was aimed at treating migraine. Didn’t work for that but the lack of hayfever was very welcome.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your kind words @PenguinMum. I don't expect to be any kind of beauty - that expectation ended a good few years ago and I've always said I wasn't vain. Wrong - at 17 stone and 5 ft 5, I really am far from a thing of beauty and I find that it bothers me. However, apart from my actual looks, which won't improve (doctors said the scar would fade, but it didn't, just got worse) I can cope with that, it's the weight which does bother me. If I pass a mirror and happen to catch a glimpse of myself, I hate what I see. It really is gross. People (friends/family) will insist on taking photos of me as well, although I object :(. Then they go and show me the result, not realising that I am cringing :inpain:. Never mind - the real problem is that the weight is dangerous! I can only do what I can - medics don't seem to have any ideas either - just say I am over-eating. I suppose I am, food in + energy used = weight loss; food in + energy not used = weight put on. The best I can hope for is that, by eating the way I am, I won't get much heavier or more unfit than ever.:depressed:
I’m sure that keeping on doing what you’re doing - trying your hardest and staying as low carb as feasible - is the best any one can do. I’m also sure that needing to use insulin makes the whole thing so much more difficult both to get it right and prevent more weight gain. As you say, if you can keep your weight stable given your insulin taking and lack of mobility is success too. Keep going girl you are working so hard it really isn’t easy for you take care x

Viv19

Excellent. Don't wait. Folks can sometimes get fearful of it, until they try it.

I did the water test today, but it’s too hot to bother to eat much. I’ll have a go tomorrow. Have some pork goulasch meat (they now rate the meat to let you know how it was raised - so this is better), I’ll cook it tomorrow and maybe freeze it.
We now have two dogs - SIL is away, returning Friday, so her dog is staying here too.
Food today.
Well, no breakfast
Tea
Gym
Cwc
Lunch nuts/cheese cubes and yoghurt with berries.
Tea
White wine spritzer
Scrambled eggs and toasted LC roll.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I actually think it’s flu - came on very suddenly and lots of aches and pains. Nose is stuffy but very little sneezing. It’s been a while since I had anything like this.

Used to get very bad hayfever but it all but vanished several years ago after an extended spell of acupuncture which was aimed at treating migraine. Didn’t work for that but the lack of hayfever was very welcome.
Take care sounds dreadful and I’m sure the heat can’t help keep taking the lime and cold water you need to keep your temperature down as much as possible. Have you got a fan? I read a tipto put a bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan have been doing today and it does help hugs heading your way x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take care sounds dreadful and I’m sure the heat can’t help keep taking the lime and cold water you need to keep your temperature down as much as possible. Have you got a fan? I read a tipto put a bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan have been doing today and it does help hugs heading your way x

Thanks. Yes, do have a fan thankfully, but even with that, all windows open and curtain blocking out sun the thermostat in the flat is showing 30 degrees! Work have told everyone to stay at home tomorrow because it’s due to get so hot. Will give the ice cubes in front of fan a go when I go to bed.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the water test today, but it’s too hot to bother to eat much. I’ll have a go tomorrow. Have some pork goulasch meat (they now rate the meat to let you know how it was raised - so this is better), I’ll cook it tomorrow and maybe freeze it.
We now have two dogs - SIL is away, returning Friday, so her dog is staying here too.
Food today.
Well, no breakfast
Tea
Gym
Cwc
Lunch nuts/cheese cubes and yoghurt with berries.
Tea
White wine spritzer
Scrambled eggs and toasted LC roll.

Well done on doing the water test straight away. Over of the Facebook page, there are regularly folks pop up who've had their cauldrons for literally months, and months and haven't opened the box, because they're scared of it.

If you don't want to cook, cook (if you know what I mean), do some bone broth, maybe? I just lob some bones in, with some aromats, top it up with water and put it on for 4 hours (max pressure cook time), just before I go to bed, then it's on Keep Warm and done when I get up.

If you were to do chicken bones, they'd literally disappear if you did 4 hours, but I still always do broth/stock overnight as I feel more like washing up in the morning, rather than before bed.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Viv19

Lunch - won't happen

You really mustn’t be so hard on yourself. Do you have mobility problems or are you able to walk/do some kind of exercise? Maglil55 does water exercise, my cousin teaches ‘chair yoga’ for people who are not able to be physically active. She was just writing about it, how it does really help the people taking part.
Can you think of just one thing that it’s possible to change? Sometimes that can help, to go just one small step at a time.
Broccoli tastes good with some butter and flaked almonds! Don’t starve yourself because then you’ll only want to eat the forbidden stuff!
There are so many people on this forum/ everyone has a different version of the same old misery - ie diabetes. It’s a b - trying to be polite so that I’m not censored. But there are really only impolite words to apply to diabetes.
You can do it. Don’t give up!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First off hugs to @Goonergal for flu like lurgy, hope you soon feel better, the water and lime juice sounds just the thing.
Hugs also to @Annb it sounds like things are really getting on top of you, not surprising really considering what you are trying to cope with. I so admire the fact that you are sticking with it though, And hope things will change for you soon. Being in pain makes everything miserable and hard to focus on anything positive.
@Viv19 I’m looking forward to hearing how your first IP recipe goes.
I think we were one of the only places in UK that wasn’t scorching hot today - I actually went back to get my cardi before going out this afternoon!
B: CWC
L: Parmesan Cloud Eggs with avocado. - whipped egg whites, baked for a bit then the yolks put on top and sprinkled with Parmesan. A bit disappointing, I’ll stick to omelette in future. Yoghurt &lc granola afterwards then 1/2 a 30g bar Montezuma’s Absolute Black.
D: will be fresh Cornish mussels cooked in white wine& parsley. Then the other 1/2 chocolate bar.