1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Awwh thank you @PenguinMum - stress may well be implicated for you if you are travelling, sorting and caring. One morning a couple of weeks ago during very stressful morning I recorded a 9 after a stressful incident - no food involved! - and I do go very low overnight when sleeping and relaxed plus can put my bgs down by at least one point with mindfulness......... I wouldn’t have spotted these patterns with finger pricking as tendedto do mainly before and afterfood and rarely react to foodanymore!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
    Lunch: gouda and chorizo rollitos with leafy salad and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
    Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
    Dinner: cauliflower and broccoli cheese with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

The IP is pretty magical but I’m not sure how it could make ice cream. ;))
    There’s all variations of milk here, pasteurised, UHT, mountain pasture, bio.
    I’ll have to see if I can find a UHT organic lactose free milk (because I’m too lazy to heat it up and cool and ....) it seems unlikely though. The Aldi milk (lactose free UHT) was doing the job so well- until it didn’t. :((

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Yes, I much prefer the no-boil method.

Is it worth picking up some from a different batch of milk, in case you just got a bit unlucky?

It's so annoying when something goes wonky for no apparent reason.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

• Useful Useful x 1
    #30725 DCUKMod, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:31 PM
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

@shelley262 and &DJC3 you seem to live in really lovely areas of the country. Not that I’m very well travelled in the UK. I know other places better than my own country.

What did I eat today.
    Tea
    2 slices LC bread with cheese, assorted
    Yoghurt with berries
    Tea
    Some yoghurt choc ice
    Evening white wine spritzer
    Salad nicoise,, more white wine
    More choc ice
    Tea

No 2 daughter from Australia is visiting No3 then flying to Germany to see us and her older sister. Only a few days but better than nothing. She hadn’t managed to visit her younger sister yet, and now hasn’t much holiday since she finally has finished her (second) degree and has a new job with not huge amounts of holidays. We will have to plan our next trip down under.
    No 1 is funny. Her sister flies in on Thursday, leaving Saturday. We’re staying in an hotel near to No 1’s apartment. So we will have dinner together on Friday (it’s son in law’s birthday) I suggested to No 1 that we could find another restaurant for Thursday. No, that’s not possible. I eat at work. Well couldn’t you have a snack instead and eat with us in the evening? No I’m already doing that on Friday, I can’t do it two days. Adaptable is not her middle name.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="shelley262, post: 2117464, member: 455169"@Annb life sounds complex for you at times and know how difficult it is with an adult autistic son. At least being diagnosed even at an older adult age you can maybe understand things a bit more. Our son was diagnosed in his 20s and it does help us to cope better at times knowing why.... interesting isn’t it the link between autoimmune diseases all very prevalent in our wider family - crohns, asthma, eczema, autism etc./QUOTE]

I am so lucky to have my son. He is very clever but very difficult for many people to cope with. I have no problems with him though; in fact he is a major problem solver in the lives of all the family. Anything practical, he can fix, most DIY jobs he can do. He even totally renovated a house for his younger brother and family. The other day, one of the children's toys was not working and my daughter-in-law told my GDaughter "Take it to Uncle Neil, he's the cleverest person I know." The only thing is, he is unable to appreciate other people's point of view or accept advice, especially on what to eat. His diet is very high in carbs and he is vegan but there are so many foods he can't eat due to his allergies/intolerances. He has suffered with eczema since he started teething and from then on developed more and more allergies. He cannot take any kind of animal protein (apart from salted oily fish once in a while) and can't take any kind of sweetener/sugar. Very restricted but his strength of will is amazing. I don't know what I'd do without him.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Lunch yesterday: Barbequed steak, salad with chopped capsicum and kimchi mixed in.
    Dinner: Chicken curry.
    Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Grandson got the stitches out of his arm yesterday, it healed up nicely and a interesting scar to brag about.

• Like Like x 8
  9. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

20-08-19 have managed to maintain control of carbs, although gone slightly overboard on alcohol, did not give in and join in the late night biscuit party. Later when makibg bedtime tea did have slice of cheese and fingerful of pâté.
    So today: breakfast: small slice of melon
    Lunch: ham and melon, pâté, cherry tomatoes from garden, cucumber and carrot sticks, hommous, boiled egg, tiny bit of cheese. Couple of radish. Water to drink.
    Took girls out this afternoon, to a labyrinthe, about 6k steps, then shopping, home, cooking
    Dinner chicken thighs, one piece of potato, carrots, petit pois, roasted courgette and peppers. With dark chocolate and caramel salted butter ice cream after. Carefully measured portion about 17g carbs. Drenched in cream. Plenty wine, small slice of cheese, tiny bit of pâté - more because I was feeling left out, than hungry.
    Won the train game by a mile. Third time in a row. SON2 ( whose game it is) claims it's his excellent explanation of the rules -except it was my daughter who read them out.

• Like Like x 6
  10. shelley262

Your son sounds like a very valuable person to have around .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yesterdays food
    Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
    Lunch: a the pub with two friends, planned to have a side salad but they offered to make me an omelette with it which they remembered I had on previous visit.
    Supper: left over roasted meg veg, a few berries.
    Tea, water and G &ST.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Good or Bad, today I have had 2 poached eggs 1 rasher of bacon 1 slice of brown bread for breakkie,
    Lunch was 2 seeded ryvita with Philadelphia 1 slice of oak smoked ham and a handful of blueberries and strawberries, as I'm new to this I'm trying to work out if the is low enough carbs.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

@shelley262 can you remember what date you placed the order, and how long you have been waiting?
    I ordered last Wednesday, and keep meaning to go to the website and see what delay they say is likely...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I was last on this thread. Was quite busy with work and decided to take a break posting:bigtears:. To be honest I missed y'all a lot.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and eryhritol. A Wiener sausage made from chicken. A DD keto roll (fresh from the oven) with butter and bresaola.

Lunch: Another DD roll with butter. A small homemade bounty bar (looks horrible, but tastes nice).

Dinner: Yet another DD keto roll with butter and a tin of chicken liver pate. A glass of red wine.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A small ribeye steak (120g), lupin hummus and an avocado. A small homemade bounty bar.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with ranch dressing and shredded gouda. Half a DD keto roll with butter. A bowl of homemade soup (vegetables, a few black beens and oxtail). A glass of red wine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #30734 ziggy_w, Aug 20, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  15. ziggy_w

Hi @jicjacs,

Your meals sound pretty good to me. Eggs, bacon, Philadelphia cheese, smoked ham, and strawberries are great. You might consider dropping the brown bread (it is similar to white break as far as your blood sugars are concerned). How many carbs does the ryvita have?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Hi Ziggy_w
    Per 100g 55.7
    Per slice 5.8
    It's the multi grain rye ryvita, was not sure if this was good or not, but I'm a bread person love toast so trying to find alternatives..

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. shelley262

Hi @Brunneria i ordered at 10.15am last Wednesday and messaged them yesterday afternoon they promised next day delivery and had messageto say have been shipped about two hours ago so live in hope! I’d talk to them they are very helpful good luck

18. shelley262

Why not try the Hilo low carb breadfrom Sainsbury’s or the livlife from Waitrose/ocado if missing bread? Would recommend if you live near one of these. I freeze the Hilo andjust have a slice at a time 5g of carb. I separate slices with a bit of grease proof paper - small square - and put back in wrapper then take slice out at a time and toast from frozen. Livlife is lower in carb but thinner think Hilo toasts better hope this helps

• Like Like x 3
  19. shelley262

Cor you’ve been so missed great to see you back. X

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. ziggy_w

Hi @jicjacs,

Did you have a look at high protein breads? Maybe some of the others can help as to which brands are available in Britain? I seem to remember there's a Hi-Lo brand. (I am in Germany, so the selection is quite different.)

If you are into making your own stuff, there are also some recipes on the dietdoctor.com website, such as keto bread or keto seed crackers. Both are about 2g to 5g per 100g.

Edited to add: Note to self -- read all the post before replying. Excellent advice from @shelley262.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook