What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jicjacs

Thanks I live near a Sainsbury's so will definitely try the Hilo bread, never thought of putting greaseproof paper between them, but going to now

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I live near a Sainsbury's so will definitely try the Hilo bread, never thought of putting greaseproof paper between them, but going to now
It works well and you can get away with quite a small square between the slices. I have been known to reuse them! Welcome to the thread by the way look forward to reading about how you go and ask for help and ideas anytime.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ziggy_w - welcome back. So nice to see you back. @DCUKMod - I've started seeing things about chaffles. Not sure if I fancy them or not. Having said that I didn't like waffles either.
@DJC3 - Sunday was indeed a vile day, especially when this time when the engine failed I had no control - everything seized. It was fortunate I knew it was going to fail as I'd already slowed right down, hazards on and was steering it to the slip road. Still had to use the handbreak to stop it though. Happily I now have a hire car again and I spent an hour in the garage making sure they knew everything that had happened and that I'd lost all confidence in the car.
Bed 7.3 FBG 7.9. - more settled now.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing - too taken up with car and garages.
D. Remains of the rib roast and a yorkshire pudding. Found the lowest carb one - 6g. Oh and horseradish. Later had 6 raspberries and a scoop of Breyers chocolate and hazelnut.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ziggy_w
Per 100g 55.7
Per slice 5.8
It's the multi grain rye ryvita, was not sure if this was good or not, but I'm a bread person love toast so trying to find alternatives..
Mydietshop - Skinny Bread. 0.2g carbs per slice. You have to make the bread but it's very easy.

Viv19

Tea
Lunch, nuts, 2 slices LC bread with - guess - yes, cheese
Yoghurt with berries
More tea and cheese cubes
Have no real appetite, feeling fed up, tired and a bit nauseated.
Scrambled eggs and toasted LC roll.
I tried to install OH’s laptop. Everything looks different, am very aggravated, couldn’t find his existing passwords (e mail account) - I wanted to throw the blasted thing out of the window. Today’s not a good time to do it.
I checked my bg this afternoon in case it was the reason I felt off, but it was 6.4, so not excessive.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did today go! A rushing around day but managed to make time for three small meals:
Breakfast bacon, egg and hilotoast
Lunch cheese, celery and a few home made low carb seeded crispbreads
Dinner cauliflower cheese and two lamb chops with small glass red wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with spoon of clotted cream now having decaf coffee and two squares of 100% chocolate

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was an unexpectly busy day, due to an issue with a loo, and the water being off for a couple of spells, whils under repair. In all of that we forgot to get something out of the freezer for dinner, so a quick dash to the butcher yielded some lovely pork chops, so all's well.

When I did pop into town, I cut through B&M, and noticed, whilst striding meaningfully through that they has airfryers reduced to £25. For that, they were obviously the smaller size, but for anyone fancying dabbling, or having another it'd be hard to go too worng there.

@maglil55 - do you have an electric food slicer? I'm in the market for something compact for neatly slicing cold cuts and home made bread (for my OH). Ideally it would be folding. I rather fancy a Graef, but it'll really only get light use, so it might be somewhat OTT.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep meaning to try this but then keep seeing Hilo reduced and filling freezer - when I’ve lowered my stash!
Pleased you’ve got a hire car I would be so worried if didn’t trust my car I’m a fairly nervous driver these days anyway!
I've tried Hilo now and I much prefer the Skinny Bread. The texture is much better and it's a big slice compared to Hilo. I've found with the Skinny Bread that rather than mix it with the water in the bowl it us much better to knead it as you get a much better prove. I've also taken to kneading it on top of the range (it has a toughened glass lid) and putting the oven on medium heat to give the dough a warm environment.
I'm a confident driver (used to do 35,000 a year until my coming together with the Hungarian lorry) but even I was concerned when I realised I had no control of the car. I get the feeling we're driving a computer these days not a mechanical vehicle.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today was an unexpectly busy day, due to an issue with a loo, and the water being off for a couple of spells, whils under repair. In all of that we forgot to get something out of the freezer for dinner, so a quick dash to the butcher yielded some lovely pork chops, so all's well.

When I did pop into town, I cut through B&M, and noticed, whilst striding meaningfully through that they has airfryers reduced to £25. For that, they were obviously the smaller size, but for anyone fancying dabbling, or having another it'd be hard to go too worng there.

@maglil55 - do you have an electric food slicer? I'm in the market for something compact for neatly slicing cold cuts and home made bread (for my OH). Ideally it would be folding. I rather fancy a Graef, but it'll really only get light use, so it might be somewhat OTT.
I did have one but I didn't like it. Give me one like they have in the supermarkets I might like it but didn't take to the home version at all. I'm pretty much a good knife and steel person. Probably back to learning in a restaurant.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
today a cheese sandwich with livlife lowcarb bread, don't know if it's a keeper but very happy to be back in my comfort zone if only temporarily. Supper sardines piccante (waitrose, awesome) on grated fried courgette with cheese. Loved it. It's a variation on a standard pre carb thingy staple of fish on brown spaghetti. In all honesty preferring it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to see you again, too, @maglil55. So sorry to read about your car troubles. Do you know what went wrong?
Been having problems since late May. Got it in for an investigation and a service early because of the periodic "shudder". They couldn't find anything. Back it came and two weeks later on a motorway it started shuddering really badly (like driving through severe turbulence) and the engine failed. I could still steer and brake though. Towed in, they had it 17 days and back it came supposedly fixed. OK for 2 weeks, then off on holiday and 2 weeks later it happened again but this time I had no control when it failed which is not fun in fast traffic. Crazy thing is the car was only 11 months old when this started. Add to that I came back from holiday to find half my bedroom ceiling on my bed so I've been dealing with the insurance over that. It was easier working!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been having problems since late May. Got it in for an investigation and a service early because of the periodic "shudder". They couldn't find anything. Back it came and two weeks later on a motorway it started shuddering really badly (like driving through severe turbulence) and the engine failed. I could still steer and brake though. Towed in, they had it 17 days and back it came supposedly fixed. OK for 2 weeks, then off on holiday and 2 weeks later it happened again but this time I had no control when it failed which is not fun in fast traffic. Crazy thing is the car was only 11 months old when this started. Add to that I came back from holiday to find half my bedroom ceiling on my bed so I've been dealing with the insurance over that. It was easier working!

Wow, this sounds really scary, @maglil55. Can't imagine what it feels like to lose control of one's car -- if it was me, I'd definitely be scared getting into this car ever again. Would the manufacturer be willing to replace the car? There definitely something seriously wrong and it's probably not reasonable to expect you to take another chance like this.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you can this resolved soon as well as the issue with the ceiling collapsing onto the bed.

Reactions: maglil55

Viv19

We’ve always had one. OH had one when we married, and we replaced it when it gave up the ghost a few years ago. It’s always used to slice fresh bread for the freezer.
One thing that it’s very useful for is to finely slice a partly frozen pork fillet, then marinate the meat as part of a raclette dinner. The first dinner I sliced one fillet (there was lots of other food, prawns, bacon, etc) but it disappeared far too quickly. OH said he didn’t get a look in. The next party I had two.
Edit. When we had lots of people at Christmas, I cooked a boneless gammon and sliced it cold on the slicer. Perfect slices for meals/sandwiches etc, incredibly useful.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK today's Joy's. My son said he'd rather not see me until my 3rd disaster happens. I reckon though the car counts more than one. A day of phone calls from the RAC and Europcar to make sure everything us fine and I'm happy. I have the RAC on speed dial now.
A more pleasant day at B&Q ripping bits of wallpaper, 5 of which are now sellotaped to my bedroom wall. I've narrowed them to 2 possibilities now. Also delivered 2 bags to the charity shop and 2 to recycling. There's more to go. Hubby is finally giving me peace to cull his clothing. I've almost freed up an entire cupboard which will allow me to move the towels/bed sets from under our bed ready for it to be dismantled.
B. Usual TAG with ADOC. Boiled egg.
L. Carb Killa biscuit.
D. Meat'zza with lettuce, 4 santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and helmans.
Got another box of King Cherries at M&S today. Will go and get a few since if I bring the box through I may eat them all.
And on a positive note , my replacement sensor arrived from Abbott today to replace the one that fell off.