What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couple of days to catch up on.
Thursday- bed 5.9 FBG 6.7. Been feeling really gritty. No amount of showers is getting rid of the dust. Glad I have Aqua.
B. TAG with ADOC. Was running about a bit. Both boys had a dental check then school. I just had time to nip home, scramble a couple of eggs, grab my bag then off to Aqua.
L. Nothing , although aqua, the spa and another 2 showers did make me feel less gritty. Got the boys for their dinner so didn't have a lot of time to continue the tidy up operation ready for dismantling our bed. Spent some time examining the wallpaper and I've finally decided. Now for the paint.
D. Was in a couldn't be bothered mood but eventually threw together an oomi noodle carbonara. Had about 10 king cherries as well.

Friday - bed 6.9 FBG 7.1

B . TAG with ADOC then off on the school run then straight to physio.
L. Nothing - no time. Had to pick up food for the boys lunch and our dinner and only had time to drop the shopping before going for school pick up.
D. Meat'zza with lettuce, santini tomatoes, 1/2 small avocado and helmans. I confess to having bought another box of King Cherries. I are 10 before putting them back

Car is still in the garage and they've now been told - last chance. If this happens again the car gets changed.

And on a very positive note, No 1 has again gained his all 5 values certificate for the second week. He's puffed up like a little peacock and no wonder. Little brother, after trying so hard, did not have a good day so privileges were removed.

Tomorrow back to the ironing as all the paperwork is now done for the bedroom repair so I guess I only have a few days to restore order in our room and create chaos elsewhere. Still - I want my bed back!

mouseee

Evening...

Breakfast was a slice of hi protein bread lovingly made into eggy bread by daughter. She had a big pile of white bread eggy bread with some nutella... I managed to stick to my one slice and no nutella!

Lunch
A small and rather delicious sausage roll from a lovely cafe and a coffee. Preceeded and followed by a pretty long walk. First pastry since diagnosis.

Dinner
Burger with veg while husband had 2 burgers in brioche rolls. It only makes me a tad jealous that he can eat this stuff but his body seems perfectly capable of using insulin properly! He also consumed much Ice cream. He has pretty much stopped offering me stuff I can't eat!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick catch up and post of yesterdays's food. Nasty infection = lots of tests, telescopes in fun places (huge relief when injection was in my thigh) and a few days in hospital with, hopefully, last procedure next weekend. Food has always been LC but not my priority. Apparently, not possible to have omelette without chips and beans but can have separate salad (magnifying glass needed) - bemused staff by not wanting cereal, toast or porridge for breakfast. Wrongly picked Hinchingbrooke for initial test and ended up in Peterborough when I could have picked Addenbrookes initially. I have been following this thread even in hospital when NHS wifi played ball. So, yesterday was a mid-point re-feed. Skinny bread toast with butter mid morning was rather spiffing. Decided to push on to 10k steps so wandered around shops - hunted down King cherries for Julie (think Waitrose probably a bit better) then ate 2 chicken thighs. Evening meal was 400 gms steak, mushrooms and some leaves and flowers salad. Then had some h/m raspberry ice cream (nice and soft eaten before freezing). Meat was ok, mushrooms better and earlier toast was best of that lot. Wandered around garden taking bites from apples and pears before we move. Hope you all enjoy the weekend and if you don't object I will, hopefully, post regularly again after next weekend's jollity.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so much tea today - too busy and sleepy after last evening with the kids' club. 2 cups only before GDaughter arrived to stay for the day so that Mum could go to work. We made her birthday cake and I'll finish it and keep it until Wednesday. She wanted a "confetti cake" so, lots of sugar sprinkles in it, but it's only the once a year.

Brunch, at 1.30, was some salami, some thin sliced chorizo and a piece of gruyere, plus tea. Amounts to 192 calories and no carb.

Dinner will be smoked mackerel and roasted tomatoes and maybe finish off with some yoghurt. That will amount to 9.5 carb and 660 calories. so a total of 852 calories not counting milk in tea. About an eighth of a pint of milk will put it up to 932 calories and 12 - 13 carbs.

I don't usually work it out this way but if I'm to stick to the 5:2 diet as well as low carb, I do need to know how many calories I am having. It's a bore though. I know that I don't have to stick to less than 1000 calories on the 5 days but I decided to work it out because that is about what I usually eat. So much for women needing 1500 calories a day for maintenance and losing weight on 1000!

Horses for courses, as was mentioned a few days ago by someone obviously wiser than me (I have been railing against this injustice for much of my adult life to absolutely no avail). By now I should have learned to face facts - I know my body is not "normal" - allergies/intolerances/heart in the "wrong place"/odd, but not harmful, heartbeat/RH neg/looking years younger than my contemporaries (until I had to have the end of my nose cut off to deal with cancer - that dealt with that issue). It's allright - I know how to laugh at myself most of the time. But I do hate it when other overweight people tell me how they lost weight by not eating sweets/cake/biscuits/taking sugar in drinks - easy peasy! I'm not really ranting, I'm just laughing at myself.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew what a hot day today
Welcome back @ianpspurs but hugs for your tests and difficult times can’t imagine how difficult it must be to be in hospital poor you and hope you’re on the mend.
@Annb do take care - I just know that I couldn’t survive on mixing lowcarb with calorie counting I need the fats to have energy plus to keep full and well.
Brunch one each of chipolata sausage, bacon and egg with Hilo toast and coffee with cream
Dinner chicken leg and thigh with green salad and a pretend potato salad - I sliced a few radishes, snipped a few chives and mint from garden and mixed with garlic mayonnaise yummy! Had small glass of red wine. Pudding was a few homegrown berries (raspberries and strawberries which are bothstill cropping prolifically )and cream and planning some decaf coffee with 100% chocolate.
Off for walk-in cooler evening don’t like hot full sun for walking.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

No B. Straight out for Walkies before it got too hot.
Then a very nice peanut butter cookie.
I made them from a powdered mix, for Mr B while I was away a couple of days, and apparently he liked them very, very VERY much. He has been trying to stick to LC but misses bread and a biccie with his cuppa. So i will probably make more of these.
Oh, snaffled a few dark choc hotel chocolat batons too.

Then did meatballs this evening.
Very disappointed!
Just got one of my generic mango sized blobs of homemade lamb burglar out of the freezer, broke it into blobs and airfried, but they just went dry and hard. All the succulence I get with pan cooking or grilling was missing.
Oh well, first airfryer failure.

I either cooked too long, too hot, or it was just the wrong method, so more experimentation needed.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of egg, bacon, mushrooms and tomato followed by coconut chia pudding with LC chocolate granola and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: Black coffee with cream at a coffee shop with a peanut phd bar
Dinner: cold sweet chilli chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
24-08-19
Beautiful sunny morning, pink mares tails in the sky. Tea and found a hard boiled egg lurking in the fridge. More tea. Predicted to be hot today 32C, so out to do what MrSlim calls Apple Patrol. Picking up all the apples fallen in last 24 hours. Neccessary as otherwise we get wasps, hornets and flies everywhere. Still the two trees nearest the house have been removed, they were leaning on the woodshed. So less to pick up now. Found another two wasp nests, much nearer the house. Didn't worry too much about the one in the far corner of the orchard, but these are in well used areas and will have to go.
Sitting outside when neighbours called, offered drinks and discovered exactly how pestelential wasps can be.
Lunch more leftovers, pâté, salad, didn't have bread. Hummous, ham and cheese.
Out to see local art exhibition. Then dinner at local restaurant, slipped up here and ate about half the chips, then had icecream when we got home. Am blaming the wine, but really am fed up with missing out on all the treats.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back @ianpspurs and I am sure it was a welcome relief to get to the skinny bread again. Hope you gain your complete freedom from hospital soon. Bed 6.8 FBG 6.9. All in all a pretty stable day despite still munching on King Cherries.
B. TAG with ADOC and was very hungry so had a fried egg and 4 rashers of streaky bacon. Hubby off to the football and I had the joy of shopping after getting more washing done and out.
L. Nothing - at the supermarket which was quite peaceful as it was a lovely day and there was rugby at Murrayfield. Once back, I forced myself to do more ironing but it was too hot.
D. Stuck to salad. Slice each of ox tongue, roast pork and mortadella. A bit of flame grilled chicken, lettuce, 4 piccolo tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, cucumber, cheese coleslaw and a vegetable salad I mixed up. Didn't finish it - too much.
Couple of bits of 90% and I was drawn to the king Cherries again - 10 of them!

Boys will get back to swimming tomorrow hopefully as I'm still in the hire car.
I also noticed M&S are selling Cauliflower Mash in small pots. Got one to try tomorrow as I have a gammon joint to cook. I'll still largely make my own but it may be handy on occasion if I don't need much.
Tomorrow will start the movement of the bed sets, quilt, towels etc from under the bed then start the dismantling. It isn't moving though until I get the word they're ready to start. We're already cramped in the smaller rooms.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NE1 Flaxseed bun with marmite, Gouda and egg for breakfast. Lots of coffee.
NE2 Pork Stroganoff done in IP. Bunged a broken up cauliflower in on top at the end and cooked for 2 more minutes, so it was quite soft and easily as good as rice or mash with the meat. Only 1 pot to wash up so an added bonus.
@ianpspurs glad to see you posting on this thread again, have you got a moving date yet? Hope all your hospital stuff is done and dusted by then.
@ziggy_w I remember an ongoing chat with you about the lc coconut bars. How are you coating them with chocolate now? I must confess I’ve rather given up bothering to coat them completely, I make them in silicone bar moulds and just pour a layer of melted chocolate on the top. It’s good enough for me!
Good luck with the car and bedroom @maglil55
I’m envious of the meaty meal you guys had at your get together @shelley262 and even more envious of those Guilt Free cakes. The brownies are what @Debandez said were her favourites too weren’t they? Glad you all had a good time.
@Annb fingers crossed for the 5:2 diet giving you results after trying so hard for so long.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since low carbing and long spells (12 - 15 hours) without food haven't worked to bring down my BG or my weight, I have decided to go one step further - and try the 5:2 diet, as advocated by Michael Mosley, on top of the rest and see what happens. Yesterday was the first day and it wasn't so hard and my BG level did drop to a good level although that may have been a coincidence. Carbs still v. low today but calories not as low as yesterday. Not as much as 1,000 though.
Ah right well the 5:2 diet seems to work for some I just thought you were eating that little every day ..because if you drop your calorie intake too low especially over a long period of time your metabolism will slow right down.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So Saturday dawned bright and sunny and the never ending battle of man v nutrition v pleasure v bg control resumed. Schoolboy error of not reading labels resulted in a mocha Tassimo not a decaf - I thought Julie had only bought decaf so didn't check. By midday was hungry so had 2 babybels (leftover from hospital food parcel) then 2 poached eggs on skinny bread toast. Highlight of the day was a gentle 30 mins exercise bike just to test what I can do. Had a bowl of Fage 5% with 10 cal jelly afterwards. Evening meal was chicken thigh salad - hadn't realised how much I missed the vinaigrette. Later had 1 row of Green and Blacks indulgent? mint chocolate (another part of food parcel) and a piece of cheese. Did eat 5 cherries, several raspberries and had bites of apples and pears sauntering around the garden. Fbg today was 5.4 so not a disaster and while the memory of hospital food is still fresh I can live comfortably with that menu. Probably a draw on the battle front - which is a plus but the exercise was the big winner yesterday. I will absolutely settle for functional from food and drink for a while.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
24-08-19
Beautiful sunny morning, pink mares tails in the sky. Tea and found a hard boiled egg lurking in the fridge. More tea. Predicted to be hot today 32C, so out to do what MrSlim calls Apple Patrol. Picking up all the apples fallen in last 24 hours. Neccessary as otherwise we get wasps, hornets and flies everywhere. Still the two trees nearest the house have been removed, they were leaning on the woodshed. So less to pick up now. Found another two wasp nests, much nearer the house. Didn't worry too much about the one in the far corner of the orchard, but these are in well used areas and will have to go.
Sitting outside when neighbours called, offered drinks and discovered exactly how pestelential wasps can be.
Lunch more leftovers, pâté, salad, didn't have bread. Hummous, ham and cheese.
Out to see local art exhibition. Then dinner at local restaurant, slipped up here and ate about half the chips, then had icecream when we got home. Am blaming the wine, but really am fed up with missing out on all the treats.

SkinnyLizzy - Can't recall how long you've been relocated now, but why not have an A1c and see how your bloods are doing? You may well find that with all the additional physical activity and less stress of actually being there (as opposed to the stress leading up to it) your bloods are pretty decent, if not good.

If the bloods aren't quite what you might like to see, at least you know.

Why give up anything you don't have to?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Sunday
Co
SkinnyLizzy - Can't recall how long you've been relocated now, but why not have an A1c and see how your bloods are doing? You may well find that with all the additional physical activity and less stress of actually being there (as opposed to the stress leading up to it) your bloods are pretty decent, if not good.

If the bloods aren't quite what you might like to see, at least you know.

Why give up anything you don't have to?
Like your idea. Have Already ordered new set of testing strips and lancets, will do a couple of days regimented testing when they get here. However my body does let me know if BG is high, dashing to the loo hourly, or less. So thinking this is permanent condition.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah right well the 5:2 diet seems to work for some I just thought you were eating that little every day ..because if you drop your calorie intake too low especially over a long period of time your metabolism will slow right down.

Yes, I'll have to be careful but I have to do something. When I tried counting calories many years ago, I kept below the 1000 every day. The result was that I ended up very ill. I was eating the wrong foods though. This was 49 years ago, when my youngest son was only about 9 months old. I sought medical help and was told that I was imagining the symptoms and not to be a hypochondriac! I have always been unlucky with doctors since I was a teenager and the best doctor I've ever known moved to Africa. At least I had the sense to stop the poor diet, but my health has been poor ever since, one way or another and my weight has risen steadily over that period. I believe that I was diabetic even then.

I also have to watch the insulin levels, so I keep on testing. At least, reducing to 2 meals a day has allowed me to cut out one insulin dose and I was able to cut back on the overnight dose as well. And this is only the third day.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea, Tea, Tea. Just had my "breakfast" (at 1330) - the last smoked mackerel from the pack and some scrambled egg and then, because I was still hungry, I had a few slices of salami. The whole amounted to about 630 calories, but zero carbs. I'll have to watch and not go too much over the top this evening although it is one of the 5 days, not the 2.

More tea, which leaves another 4 cups to have during the day to make the 2Litres.

I have a chicken that I should at least roast today - probably have a bit of that and I have some lamb which I really should cook today as well, but I shan't have any of that. A bit of chicken and some mushrooms and broccolli, probably.

I wish I could reach the stage that No 1 son has with his food. There is little that he can enjoy so he just regards food as fuel and takes some on board when he has to. A bit joyless, but really helpful if your diet has to be so strict. My problem is - I enjoy food.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. A bit behind and not caught up with everyone’s news. Can’t remember when I last posted on the thread and away from home so just including a few highlights.

Thursday night was my favourite carnivorous restaurant Rodizio Rico, with a huge amount of meat, the lamb leg and lamb chops being highlights.

Friday was lunch at Nando’s - 3 wings, leg and halloumi and a bunless cheeseburger at Five Guys.

Yesterday was an OMAD day - very long canal walk (Birmingham to Warwick) followed by a bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayo and grilled onions and a decadent Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate.

Today’s lunch was Five Guys yet again - bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayo and grilled onions. Dinner may well be Nando’s.

A5B045E7-BD81-4616-888E-02989EBD7201.jpeg
3534095E-5BB6-4005-9E68-98A4F9C218CF.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I did roast the chicken and vegetables and I braised the lamb, but when it came to it, I didn't really want anything. I took a chicken drumstick (shouldn't have bothered, I didn't enjoy it) and, with another cup of tea, that was it. I did think I would be over the 1000 calories today, but I only made just less than 900. Might regret that tomorrow, which should be a "Fast" day. BG is within range though.