What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had to share this with y’all. We went for a walk this afternoon and Dennis jumped into a shallow ornamental pond, it was covered in duckweed so he didn’t realise it was water until he plunged through it. Just look at those skinny little green slimy legs ( and rather embarrassed face)View attachment 35227
What a cutie. My Aqua instructor took her puppy paddle boarding on Saturday on Loch Lomond and he was so interested he had a nap - on the paddle board! He had his own little doggie life jacket.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Fabulous day wandering the more gritty canals circling Birmingham - plotted a circular route joining up the Grand Union, Birmingham and Warwick Junction canal and the Birmingham and Fazeley canals. Fascinating industrial architecture and glorious sunshine. Long walk also = OMAD.

Early dinner was at Five Guys - bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions. Followed by a final visit t Hotel Chocolat for a decadent hot chocolate. And what would you know, the only one I’ve had made with (full-fat) milk rather than cream resulted in the smallest, shortest lived spike of the lot.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to share this with y’all. We went for a walk this afternoon and Dennis jumped into a shallow ornamental pond, it was covered in duckweed so he didn’t realise it was water until he plunged through it. Just look at those skinny little green slimy legs ( and rather embarrassed face)View attachment 35227

Funny, but he’s so cute!

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just read through the posts to catch up. We drove to Bonn to No 1 daughter to meet her sister (No 2 from Australia) who flew in for a couple of days to see us. She’s visiting youngest daughter for just 2 weeks as she has a new job and not much holiday. So lovely to see her even if it was for a short time.
We’ll go out next year I think.
Anyway, lots of delicious food and surprisingly low bg. I really need a professional chef working for me.
Today
Tea
Thyroid check up - seems to be ok, no bad news anyway, just ‘keep taking the pills.’
Lunch 2 slices LC bread with cheese and 4 cherry toms. Nuts. Tea
Afternoon. 2 baby bel plus lots of water. Hot here.
Dinner. Mixed salad (lettuce, lambs lettuce, cucumber, spring onions, 1 tom, toasted sunflower seeds, parsley, sliced strawberries and dressing).
Yoghurt and berries.
I’ve experimented with different long life (UHT) milk because my usual milk wasn’t setting. I finally used the same pot of starter, same yoghurt maker, and organic milk. It wasn’t even much more expensive. And it produced fabulous thick yoghurt. So I think I can reckon that the Aldi milk might have had antibiotics in it which killed off the good yoghurt bacteria. It’s probably an occasional thing but I might stay with the bio milk now since it works so well.
@ ianpspurs glad to see you are in good spirits and fighting to be fit. Even if you were offered full on carby food!
Maglil55 good luck with the clear out. Fingers crossed that you’ll have your own bed soon.

Ooooh. Glad you got the yoghurt sorted.

I made a batch last night that was quite thick when finished, but I elected to strain it for a Greek consistency. When I went to check on it a couple of hours later (I was side-tracked by a tricky sewing project. Not tricky really, but I hadn't done what I was doing in a while).

In the end the yoghurt just rolled off the straining muslin, leaving absolutely nothing behind. Needless to say, I've added back some whey.

In keeping with the thread, dinner this evening was cold roast lamb, from yesterday's roast. When I went in on Saturday, the butcher had no racks available, and none he could even trim up there and then for me. As a result we had a Chump joint. I would just have called it a boneless leg joint, but whatever it was called, it was stupendous. I don't usually favour cold lamb, but this was lovely.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whoops! Sorry for derailing. I meant to post the Dennis photo in the chat thread not here. He may be cute enough to eat but that wasn’t what I was proposing!

Reactions: maglil55

Viv19

@DJC3 Dennis looks so cute and embarrassed. Gorgeous little guy.
We’ve really become attached to our foster lab - she’s very kind and calm, a lovely dog.
And @DCUKMod
I made the yoghurt in the yoghurt (pre IP) because I know that it always used to work in there, so it was more of a controlled experiment. I don’t like thin yoghurt at all.
Now I’ll try some in the instant pot.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
26-08-19
Woke early ish, but still tired so water and back to bed.
Didn't want breakfast, just had tea. Feeling tired still and dashing to the loo too often during the Apple Patrol. Think I have UTI. Off to the pharmacie, good old Google translate to the rescue. Got some ( possibly homeopathic) pills, five day course.
Shopping for pudding ingredients- do they have condensed milk in France? Must be very popular for many brands and some 1kg cans. However no plain digestive biscuits to make the base, counted 13 different packs with chocolate coating though. When I got home had a slice of leerdammer cheese and cup of tea. Went and lay on the bed, Four hours later woke up and made MrSlim an extremely belated lunch. I had more leerdammer, slice of cucumber, three cherry tomatoes, small piece of baguette with Cantal cheese and chutney. Water.
Brother and SIL arriving tomorrow, MrSlim is fitting the extractor in the kitchen. I cut the grass, not all of it this time, left the wild patch behind the potting shed- which used to be either goat or pig accommodation. Feeling really cold so more clothes and cup of tea before making dinner,
salmon with sort of risotto, three grain rice, onion, peppers, courgette and mushrooms, flavoured with lemon and a leaf from our bay tree. tiny portion for me.
Next doors cat enjoyed the salmon skin.
Treated the wasp nest again, this time enlarged the entrance hole, so will see how effective that was tomorrow.
Early bed for me, feeling very tired still, hoping my four hour nap wont prevent me from sleeping.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely day today celebrating OHs birthday with long walk, steam railway trip and vintage car rally. Only bad thing was a dental problem with a crown - will need to ring dentist in am!
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch chicken leg and lemon drizzle cake from deliciously guilt free delicious would recommend and only 0.8g carbs per cake very low bgs this pm.
Dinner steak with mushroom sauce and some onions with half bottle of cremant de Loire to celebrate OHs birthday followed by lemon and lime mousse, a few berries and yoghurt. Later decaff coffee and 100% choc
@DJC3 what a cutie Dennis is hugs from me.
@Goonergal interesting re the milk v cream

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B7309F0A-5F4B-4E52-8553-4D81A18C01FD.jpeg
Lovely day at the seaside today!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Picnic Lunch: chorizo and Gouda rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt LC chocolate granola with blackberries and raspberries.
Mid afternoon in a pier café Diet Coke and a mint carb killa bar
Dinner in a restaurant 1/2 lemon and thyme chicken with mushrooms and a green salad with mayo.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On catch up again! @Goonergal - that hot chocolate looks seriously good! As does the cherry tomato crop @Tipetoo - perfectly formed and a really attractive looking crop. @Brunneria - don't know about eating dahlia but like you I am a fan but mine have been a bit erratic. Last year what I call the pom pom dahlia didn't appear in the back garden. This year they've come back as monsters with a few others I can't even remember planting. This year the dahlia in the front garden failed to appear. I have eaten many a courgette flower though.
Sunday - bed 6.1 FBG 6.8. Still very stable. Very hot day. Had time to do a bit more movement of "stuff" before heading off to take the boys to their swimming lessons.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing at swimming
D. After taking son shopping. Packet of M&S serrano ham crisps. Usual campari and soda. Cooked the gammon with a glaze of Monk Fruit maple syrup and orange zest. Had it with the M&S cauli mash (it's ok but home made is a lot better) and a carrot & swede mash. Later a scoop of Breyers with raspberries. Loads of water.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Viv19

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ziggy_w & @DJC3 - your bounty bars. Have you considered freezing your coconut bars then putting them on a wire rack with a tray underneath and pouring your chocolate coating over? I'm thinking having them freezing or at least very cold would have a setting effect while allowing excess chocolate to run off and be caught to be warmed and reused.
Other thought was just to dip the well chilled coconut bars but still put on a wire rack to drip.

Reactions: DJC3 and Viv19

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - great idea with the mayo. I always used a blender but drizzled the oil bit by bit through the little hole in the lid. I also add a little mustard to it. On the home front (@DJC3 & Viv19) never tell a woman there's no way you'll fit all that in there! Not only have I had a massive clear out, the remaining contents of the cupboard plus the contents of the underneath of the bed are now in storage boxes or vacuum bags, sorted and labelled AND I still have space. Today I gave the mattress a good Hoover and shampoo. Charity shop will get another visit tomorrow.
@shelley262 - hope you get your dental appointment and hope it didnt mar your day. Glad the lemon drizzle was good as I have an order in for the brownies, lemon drizzle and millionaire shortbread. I'm intrigued by the millionaire shortbread. Anyway today was OMAD again. Bed 6.6 FBG 6.2
B. TAG with ADOC then Aqua.
L. Nothing
D. A lamb kebab with mint sauce and a salad of lettuce , tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and a boiled egg. Remains of the breyers (less than a scoop with raspberries. Even more water!
Tomorrow will see the final clean and Hoover of our bedroom then I'll move to the other bedrooms to continue the clear out while I'm still in the mood. I have also now lost the 5lbs I gained on holiday.
@ianpspurs - hope your final visit to the hospital goes well (ignoring the food). Even in my pre diabetic days if I was in hospital I had food brought in. My sister had a restaurant and I phoned my orders in for delivery at visiting time!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the good wishes @maglil55 - now I know what is on offer there it can be dealt with. Just a pity I didn't opt for first test in Cambridge as it has several shops including a good sized M and S on site. This is the Monday instalment of what seems to be man v LC food. Decaf tea (not even 1 pint) and decaf CWC for B. Cut down salad with avocado and mackerel in EVO for lunch - late, around 3.00. Evening meal was 3 egg mushroom omelette with reduced salt and sugar tommy k and pea shoot + edible flowers + mayo. Plenty of Fage 5% and a 10 cal/lc jelly as not much "bulk" in that lot. Chronometer reckons it was LC and low cal but meter this morning says 5.7. I can't really spare the bandwith atm to sort out if my body is dealing well with the current problem, pumping out energy not coming from food or diet is badly constructed. Best part of yesterday was managing 10k+ steps.
Edit: I have been sent out with 1 drug that can increase insulin resistance - this is all like a whodunnit with too many plausible suspects and a blundering detective.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@shelley262 We buy Cremant de Loire direct from the vineyard. It's a great celebration drink at less than a quarter the price of champagne. Shame about the crown problem, hope it's sorted soon.
C
Breakfast, tea, tried going back to bed as still tired, but didnt sleep. Later more tea. Piece of Apple cake and coffee with cream.
Lunch, five carrot sticks and about a tbs hommous, Four cherry toms, tiny piece of cheese. Two glasses of water and tea. Small piece of galia melon.
Edited because post was not finished.

Brother and SIL are here and have brought a feast with him. We had Cremant de Loire to celebrate their arrival. Then switched to Potugese wine, as they have been travelling there. Suddenly rediscovered my appetite, ate all the bowl of pistachios. He cooked, salmon, crevette, veg kebabs, all delicious, some wonderful potato things, no idea what they are called had about a quarter of one, could have happily eaten several( oh I do miss potatoes) and mixed salad, then a pear tart. Absolutely divine, we had cream with it ofc, then we retired inside for cheese. Did have a few small pieces, and sips of the red wine to taste, but large water to drink.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Been away in the Cotswolds for the long weekend annual meeting of five couples our oldest friends since 1983. Stayed at a very old inn and had most of our meals outside. Limited but solid menu well executed so wont post details. I went from cooked breakfast to supper and both nights had variations beef with salad/veg, one night squid starter.
Today:
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: H/m Greek salad.
Supper: Roasted aubergine, red onion and tomato EVO and Italian herbs.
Just having Blood orange gin &ST. Lots of water throughout today.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 We buy Cremant de Loire direct from the vineyard. It's a great celebration drink at less than a quarter the price of champagne. Shame about the crown problem, hope it's sorted soon.
C
Breakfast, tea, tried going back to bed as still tired, but didnt sleep. Later more tea. Piece of Apple cake and coffee with cream.
Lunch, five carrot sticks and about a tbs hommous, Four cherry toms, tiny piece of cheese. Two glasses of water and tea. Small piece of galia melon.
Edited because post was not finished
Lucky thing getting from the source - I count myself lucky when get the taste the difference cremant de Loire reduced to £9 and also on top of this a 25% discount for six bottles so I’ve stock piled! But no doubt not as good value as in country of origin. TBH I’d always have in preference to champers I love it!

Reactions: ziggy_w