What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Breakfast chiplolata sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch bit of cheese and five walnuts followed by warmed up from freezer deliciously guilt free lemon drizzle cake(0.8 g carbs per cake) with spoon extra thick cream - needed a treat and sent my bgs right down not up! Probably helped by mindfulness session too.
Dinner home made chilli con carne made with organic pork mince and one slice of Hilo bread made into garlic bread with glass of red wine followed by sf jelly, a few home grown berries and thick cream.
@DJC3 maybe coffee jug knocked in transit? What a disaster - mine is a lifeline!
I'm finding that too (BGs going down) With the Deliciously Guilt Free stuff (think I'll shorten it to DGF). I wondered if it was just timing and they were maybe on descent anyway but it seems it doesn't matter when you eat it - BGs fall.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding that too (BGs going down) With the Deliciously Guilt Free stuff (think I'll shorten it to DGF). I wondered if it was just timing and they were maybe on descent anyway but it seems it doesn't matter when you eat it - BGs fall.
Interesting info !

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonder what was in sausage and black pudding? Must admit I swerve sausage and black pudding when out at cafes etc as they often choose to cook and serve the cheap filler versions! Gluten free breakfasts can be a good way of avoiding the fillers but not Always! Good luck with the fish sounds like you are taking the sensible route.
@DJC3 - I was about to say the sane thing as @shelley262. I'd suspect the black pudding first and the sausage a hot second. I requested GF on both when we were away and I was lucky, both worked for my BGs. Other times I've not been so lucky. Alternative? Have the breakfast and follow up with DGF cake! (See other post)

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I was about to say the sane thing as @shelley262. I'd suspect the black pudding first and the sausage a hot second. I requested GF on both when we were away and I was lucky, both worked for my BGs. Other times I've not been so lucky. Alternative? Have the breakfast and follow up with DGF cake! (See other post)
Funny for the sane comment in relation to me! Know it should read same but like the sane I’m rarely that!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs - I see skinny bread so you are obviously back in the bosom of your family. Glad to see you've made your escape.
@shelley262 - I've noticed before that autocorrect changes same to sane but sometimes you just dont see it. Plus, as you say , it can be amusing.
The DGF thing is interesting as I cannot see anything in them that would have that result. Maybe I should try DGF Millionaire shortbread for breakfast? In the interests of research of course. Happy Father's Day @Tipetoo. Sounds like the perfect day.
Bed 5.8 FBG 6.7
B. TAG with ADOC although it had to wait as DIL lift to work had a puncture so I had to give her a lift so she could make her first appointment.
Got hubby busy while I was driving back so, when I arrived, my pork, mozzarella and paprika sausages were ready. Had them with a bit of Bury GF black pudding and a fried egg.
L. Nothing - boys swimming lesson day. No 2 was heinous and had to be removed early.
D. Battered out chicken breasts which I dressed in a mix of Almond flour, flax, sesame seeds, parmesan, parsley and paprika. Used same dressing for Hubby's chicken breast and he didn't even know it wasn't breadcrumbs! Served up with broad beans and (you were 100% spot on @Brunneria) the most wonderful halloumi chips - rubbed in olive oil and paprika and air fried for 10 mins. They were amazing!
Finished up with a DGF double chocolate brownie warmed for 20 secs in the microwave, 6 raspberries and cream.
My usual campari and soda.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, after eggnchips for brekkie, we went out for family meal in a chain pub.
Massive dilemma over food choice. Eventually went for the ‘tikka burger’ without bun. Double patty.
Basically just a tikkaed piece of chicken breast with minted yog, two tiny onion bhajis. I left the chips but succumbed to the bhajis. They were each only the size of lychee.
Meanwhile, Mr B ate his own bodyweight in mixed grill. And my chips.

Once home, I ate the LC bakery ‘golden syrup’ steamed pud. Very pleasant. Half the size of a Gu dessert. Not worth the money. I could have knocked up a LC mug cake 3 x the size for 1/3 of the price. But the ‘golden syrup’ was VERY nice. Not sickly and not artificial. Can’t help imagining it on LC porridge!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
01-09-19
Breakfast nut granola, 2 scrambled eggs and spinach, tea.
Lunch, Well! where to begin?
It was a Village Repas, kind of a bring and share, but more formal. This is the second event of its kind and the population has expanded. Now we have fourteen people including two new babies. Everyone in the village contributed. We ate and drank from 12.30pm until around 8pm.
Aperetifs, Pas d'alchool pour moi. Host goes in search of slimline tonic...
Entrees, handed round before we sat down
1st entree, bowl of mixed cherry tomatoes,
2nd entree, raw mushrooms stuffed with Boursin,
3rd entree, beetroot puree, garnished with chives, in individual dishes, spoons provided.
4th entree, minimuffins with smoked salmon, smoked trout and sage.
5th entree, slices of salami on cocktail sticks.
Fish course was a Gateau de Crepes, basically pancakes layered with savory fillings: surimi, avocado, sliced egg, smoked salmon, tomato and tuna. huge wedges so only half for me. This was served with green salad, carot rappee, and an enormous bowl of pasta salad with tuna.
Of course all the time people were passing the bread around, mucho biere at vin aussi.
Main course, saussison, chicken drumstick and/or ( most people had all three) pork chops with haricot vert.
Cheese course, five different cheeses. More bread. Pas pour moi
Dessert, lemon cheesecake
2nd dessert, pears poached in spiced white wine, served with cream
coffee
liquers,
more coffee
Several households to send joint photo protesting Brexit to MPs We are to provide carboard for placard.
Much swapping of phone numbers, so meal has definitely brought us together. Although we are neighbours, some of us are only in residence for a few weeks a year, Difficult to get to know a neighbour you see perhaps twice in four years. Its unusual for everyone to be here at once,
limoncello icecream
wine for those still drinking.
more coffee
Agree that we will have a Ping Pong event of some kind in the not too distant future.
Adjourn to a different house to admire motorbike.
Back to first house to collect dishes etc, help clear up and say goodbye for another hour.

I dont even want to try and quantify the carbs, or calories.
but I will say it was all delicious, and someone has found a way to make even beetroot, not only edible, but also enjoyable.
Because of the antibiotics am having to eat more carbs than usual, but today was definitely excessive, in everyway except alcohol.

edited to add fifth entree

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Pickled pork sandwiches with plenty of mustard on it.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, mushroom gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar, water.

I was supposed to get non fasting blood tests this morning including a hba1c, I forgot that I was not supposed to take my four Digoxin tablets as I have a test for the levels of that one.

Ooops! To late, down they went with a swig of coffee, will try again to tomorrow for the tests...:D

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb
Re cole slaw with a sweetish mayonnaise: my son mentioned tonight that a restaurant he previously worked for used half mayonnaise, half condensed milk in their coleslaw. Leaving me wondering if there is any such thing as a "safe" food.

Now that sounds quite likely. It tasted as though it had something of the sort in it. I think the vinaigrette on the rest of the salad had quite a lot of honey in it. Eating out is not a good idea, for me anyway. Nor is buying in ready made food. The only safe thing as far as I can see is to make everything from scratch. Even then, my son is now concerned over buying soya milk in the future in case it is GM (modified with what? we wonder - for, if the added genes are from a product the allergic individual cannot cope with, how much of an effect could that have? Then there are the minimal amounts of antibiotics remaining in milk even though right after treatment with antibiotics, milk is discarded. It goes on and on.)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read this and have visions of a sign on that Easter egg - in case of emergency break packaging. In what world do people hide emergency supplies at the back of wardrobes? I am also unaware of any emergency that would make me eat a HC Easter egg but have recently had a very deep course in the meaning of "it takes all sorts" so on you go.

That’s pretty much how I see it - break in case of emergency! And I did.
@maglil55 can I borrow some of your wardrobe space please?

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think you and @shelley262 are right about the black pud. The stupid thing is that I’ve tried it before and the same thing happened so why I thought this time would be any different I don’t know. Sometimes I just like to kid myself but I think I’ve learned my lesson now.
The really daft thing is that I rarely ate it before lchf days so it’s not something I really miss.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very late posting tonight, after a poorly car yesterday, I’ve travelled to south coast to help my dad look after my poorly Mum, unexpected stop over at their house tonight. Managed to chuck some low carb stuff in the car, so only the stress had put my BS up not the food :(
Breakfast at home: usual!
Lunch: ham with pork scratchings followed by strawberries and cream with macadamia and coconut granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and raspberry phd bar.
Dinner: chicken Provençal (Dad took it out of his freezer so I wasn’t sure of the ingredients) with broccoli followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Somehow didn’t get to post yesterday’s food so here goes
While I still remember...
Late morning after the community litter pick I had a couple of bits of cheese and 2 handfuls nuts.
Went back into the village for Brass on the Grass - the local brass band playing al fresco. I love a brass band.
Late lunch carvery at the pub and a gin&soda.
Couple more gins at home later. Don’t think I ate anything else.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Another TMAD today.

Lunch at cafe near work. 2 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and some grated cheese.

Dinner aged sirloin steak (on offer at Lidl at the weekend), with a knob of butter and a fried egg.

5288DD8E-7A82-42E7-9192-DA94BBC19498.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 and @maglil55 on the topic of DGF brownies lowering BG, wasn’t there a period way back (18 months?) when a few people on the thread - I think you were the one to discover it, @maglil55 - found that 90% chocolate was lowering BG? I seem to remember posts about magic chocolate!
Hi @Goonergal it was even lower after the lemon drizzle! I wonder if part of it, for me, is the pleasure and relaxation element as I’m so reactive to stress and relaxation and these treats are low carb so don’t add in a carb load to raise it. Choc brownies 1.8 and lemon drizzle 0.8.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goonergal it was even lower after the lemon drizzle! I wonder if part of it, for me, is the pleasure and relaxation element as I’m so reactive to stress and relaxation and these treats are low carb so don’t add in a carb load to raise it. Choc brownies 1.8 and lemon drizzle 0.8.

I just did a search, it was over 2 years ago (May 2017) and it was @maglil55 !

And this link was shared. http://www.diabetescare.net/authors/clara-schneider/delicious-dark-chocolate-and-diabetes

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all. Another TMAD today.

Lunch at cafe near work. 2 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and some grated cheese.

Dinner aged sirloin steak (on offer at Lidl at the weekend), with a knob of butter and a fried egg.

View attachment 35425

You've just made me change my mind, @Goonergal. I wasn't intending to have much this evening but saw your post with its pic of a fried egg and steak. I haven't got any steak in the house, but I do have bacon and eggs.

So far today I've had tea and bits of salami off the top of GDaughter's lunchtime pizza ( she was off school today with a bad cough, so she had to come to me). We made gingerbread men, which she took home with her and I was feeling that I could just do with more tea and leave it at that. But now it's going to be bacon and fried egg - probably 2 rashers and 2 eggs. Thank you Goonergal.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've just made me change my mind, @Goonergal. I wasn't intending to have much this evening but saw your post with its pic of a fried egg and steak. I haven't got any steak in the house, but I do have bacon and eggs.

So far today I've had tea and bits of salami off the top of GDaughter's lunchtime pizza ( she was off school today with a bad cough, so she had to come to me). We made gingerbread men, which she took home with her and I was feeling that I could just do with more tea and leave it at that. But now it's going to be bacon and fried egg - probably 2 rashers and 2 eggs. Thank you Goonergal.

Enjoy. I love bacon and eggs!