What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast with CWC snatched quickly before girls and Dennis woke and shattered the peace was smoked cheese and Parma ham
Lunch 2 chipolatas with mayo in a Lo Dough wrap
Dinner DD Creamy keto fish casserole with garlicky kale. I’d bought enough cod for 4 not expecting to give the girls tea tonight so had to change from the anticipated crispy crumb fish coating. I find The DD casserole recipes easily stretch to more people than they say. Wasn’t sure I’d like this but it was lovely.
All the talk of these DGF cakes is making me waver. I’m trying to avoid cake and pudding substitutes - I can so easily go overboard once I start so I reckon it might be easier not to start in the first place. Freezing them sounds like a good idea though.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m trying to avoid cake and pudding substitutes - I can so easily go overboard once I start so I reckon it might be easier not to start in the first place.

Same here! Also trying to avoid nuts and nut butter - although M&S are offering me discounts on the latter.

How are the lo-dough wraps? Saw them at Real Food Rocks and wasn’t enticed - the hog roast in the evening was served in them, but I asked for just meat and got more of that and some extra crackling :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. No mystery about the DGF foods lowering bg and tasting good just look where they are made:angelic: Yesterday was all day grazing but not today. I don't have the bandwith right now to go outside comfort zone or try for good bg control so nothing exciting likely to pass my lips. B- water, decaf tea with whole milk x 2 and hang on till lunch. Had a latte in a well loved supermarket. Late lunch was 3 boiled eggs and halloumi soldiers - well it worked on one level but did very little for satiating me. Drank my water like a good boy and had turkey breast salad around 7.00. Unlikely to be a problem while I am under instructions not to exercise or walk far so likely to be along the same lines for a while.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast (not at home so no coconut ‘porridge’ today :(): Greek yoghurt with raspberries and coconut and macadamia granola.
Lunch: cheddar slices with leafy salad and two cherry tomatoes followed by raspberries cream and more granola.
Mid afternoon during a break driving home: salted caramel PhD bar and SF squash.
Dinner: tuna melts with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 and @maglil55 on the topic of DGF brownies lowering BG, wasn’t there a period way back (18 months?) when a few people on the thread - I think you were the one to discover it, @maglil55 - found that 90% chocolate was lowering BG? I seem to remember posts about magic chocolate!
It was me and I don't think we ever worked out 100% why.
I must add though, I had a DGF Millionaire Shortbread late on this afternoon - BGs fell 1.1 in an hour. I'd been at Aqua but I'd been home a couple of hours and BGs had already dropped 2.3 after the Aqua class.

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you and @shelley262 are right about the black pud. The stupid thing is that I’ve tried it before and the same thing happened so why I thought this time would be any different I don’t know. Sometimes I just like to kid myself but I think I’ve learned my lesson now.
The really daft thing is that I rarely ate it before lchf days so it’s not something I really miss.
I got the Bury GF black pudding in Morrisons at the weekend. It's one of these "wee" sausage shaped black puddings so you can have a couple of slices and it's still less than a normal 1 slice of black pudding. I can survive it.
If all else fails - a bar of DGF Millionaire shortbread!

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here! Also trying to avoid nuts and nut butter - although M&S are offering me discounts on the latter.

How are the lo-dough wraps? Saw them at Real Food Rocks and wasn’t enticed - the hog roast in the evening was served in them, but I asked for just meat and got more of that and some extra crackling :D

I’m not sure why I bought the lo dough wraps again, I tried them last year and didn’t like them but I’m finding them ok now so long as the filling is moist and flavoursome. They are quite convenient.
How was your dinner? I love steak and eggs.

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never mind the rest of your food the public need to know now what the mars bars tasted like - do or die.

Haha! Happy to oblige.

the size of a proper mars bar, not one of the fiddly snack bars, and not one of the giant ones.
Slightly squished in transit due to warm temperatures
Definite nougat texture and flavour
Definite caramel layer texture and flavour
Definite chocolate outer
Faintest hint of coconut (which surprised me) but almost unidentifiable. Only noticed because I have very good taste buds
2.6g carbs

Nicer than the pretend snickers.
Would buy this again, but... don’t kid yourself it is going to actually fool you into thinking it is really a Mars. Definitely not.
https://lowcarbandketobakery.co.uk/...to-vegetarian-nougat-caramel-bars-gluten-free

The marked price is absurd. I’ve no idea why they mark the prices so high, then give you a massive discount at the checkout.
I got 40% off at the checkout, and then free postage.

Reactions: maglil55

mouseee

Evening!

First full day back at work after the summer and also first day back after diagnosis. In a way, it was a good time for it to happen as I had time to worry about food rather than work!

I felt naughty as made a mug muffin with conserve and clotted cream for breakfast.

Lunch
LC crackers and cheddar
Ham
Celery

Home from school....
Danger time. Before the hols this was when I would carb binge without knowing what or why I was doing it.
Aldi nut bar and some extra salted peanuts and then managed to stop myself eating more. This is a habit i have to change.

Dinner
Peppered burger and salad

Did eat a shortbread biscuit this evening but bizarrely didn't spike.
Is there something about carbs and fat combined that slows down these spikes? I can't work out why a biscuit is better for my bs than a biscuit!

Tully

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B'fast
Fried slice of bacon, egg and tomato. Slice of homemade nut&seed loaf. Mug of tea. Handful of blueberries.
Lunch (at pub)
Steak & Salad (included two "naughty" battered onion rings). Pint and a half of "naughty" bitter.
Snack
Handful of mixed nuts. Mug of tea.
Supper
Cheese onion and mixed pepper single egg omelette. Two cheese slices wrapped with two slices ham. Seven strawberries and half a small banana with cream sprinkled with homemade nut&seed granola. Mug of coffee.

Never responded to this post subject before but its an interesting exercise to set it all out because I consume more than I realised! Other than beer (would usually have glass of red), this fairly typical.

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.2 FBG 3.9 - Yes you saw that right but it surged upwards shortly afterwards. A day of some progress. My car is still a work "in progress". Car hire has been extended to Wednesday currently. Contractor got in touch today. Electrician in on Friday to remove our central light and the ceiling work starts a week tomorrow. Half the ceiling coming down to be replaced and plastered. Looking like two days. Decorating won't start until the following week. No 1 grandson went to a school friend's for dinner and No 2 had a good day so all in all quite peaceful.
B. TAG with ADOC and a boiled egg to stem the BG rise.
L. Been at Aqua so BGs had dropped a fair bit. Had a bar of DGF Millionaire shortbread and they fell again.
D. Having delivered boys home at different times I finally opted for pork loin with a very spicy coating and a salad of lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado and helmans.
Another warmed up DGF brownie with 6 raspberries and cream.

@DJC - you're correct. Once you start you can't stop but no Ill effects with the polyols.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B'fast
Fried slice of bacon, egg and tomato. Slice of homemade nut&seed loaf. Mug of tea. Handful of blueberries.
Lunch (at pub)
Steak & Salad (included two "naughty" battered onion rings). Pint and a half of "naughty" bitter.
Snack
Handful of mixed nuts. Mug of tea.
Supper
Cheese onion and mixed pepper single egg omelette. Two cheese slices wrapped with two slices ham. Seven strawberries and half a small banana with cream sprinkled with homemade nut&seed granola. Mug of coffee.

Never responded to this post subject before but its an interesting exercise to set it all out because I consume more than I realised! Other than beer (would usually have glass of red), this fairly typical.

Welcome to the thread @Tully you’ll find a lot of friendly banter on this thread along with some great inspiration for meals and low carb eating.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@ianpspurs OMLAD perfect description for my Sunday.
@shelley262 wondering why the change from cream?
@DJC3 sounds like a brilliant day.

02-09-19
breakfast, nut granola, milk and tea
Managed an hours work in the garden before we went out.
Lunch out duck leg and veggies, water to drink.
Half an hour picking up apples before about the same with the rideon mower, sons GF wants a go - so she finished the job.
MrSlim is cooking his famous paella, a few spoonfuls for me with salad, and an extra chicken leg.
we still have cheesecake that needs eating, so a portion of that, with some of the delicious, but terribly naughty syrup from the spiced pears. No wine - still on antibiotics but so far none of the potential horrendous side effects have appeared. Possibly because am eating more carbs than usual hoping to stave them off.
Several pieces of cheese during the evening, while the others get through an astonishing amount of wine for three people.
Midnight snack, the last piece of cheesecake.
Now still have at least half a pint of cream to use up. In coffees, perhaps? and bowl of soured cream purchased by mistake. Luckily only one packet got opened but need ideas to use it.
Yesterdays trip out was a bit of a flop, should have realised monday afternoon would not be ideal time. No people = no atmosphere, no excitement and the cafe shut at 3pm so not even possible to get a coffee.

Very disappointed to discover mice in my shiny-new-nearly-finished kitchen. When we have managed to keep them out of the old kitchen for months.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! Happy to oblige.

the size of a proper mars bar, not one of the fiddly snack bars, and not one of the giant ones.
Slightly squished in transit due to warm temperatures
Definite nougat texture and flavour
Definite caramel layer texture and flavour
Definite chocolate outer
Faintest hint of coconut (which surprised me) but almost unidentifiable. Only noticed because I have very good taste buds
2.6g carbs

Nicer than the pretend snickers.
Would buy this again, but... don’t kid yourself it is going to actually fool you into thinking it is really a Mars. Definitely not.
https://lowcarbandketobakery.co.uk/...to-vegetarian-nougat-caramel-bars-gluten-free

The marked price is absurd. I’ve no idea why they mark the prices so high, then give you a massive discount at the checkout.
I got 40% off at the checkout, and then free postage.
Thanks for that full review. The don't kid yourself caveat pretty much sums up every LC version I have ever tried so not sure it will help me decide yay or nay but good to have an idea. Oh, tagged on the end good to see you here @Tully

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the Bury GF black pudding in Morrisons at the weekend. It's one of these "wee" sausage shaped black puddings so you can have a couple of slices and it's still less than a normal 1 slice of black pudding. I can survive it.
If all else fails - a bar of DGF Millionaire shortbread!

Haha a bar of millionaire shortbread with my fry up would raise a few eyebrows!
No Morrison’s round here but it’s ok I’ll just swerve black pud in future, there are certainly things I miss more.