What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's about 6.15 pm now and I didn't have soup for lunch. I didn't have anything because I was so tired and had to keep on sitting down to rest my legs and back after only short "bursts" of activity (not exactly bursts, more lethargic than that) and every time I sat down I fell asleep, so I've spent much of the day dozing. Also I realized that I had put the remaining soup in the freezer and couldn't be bothered to stir myself to go and get it out again.

Now, I wonder if I should have something to eat, or just leave it until tomorrow. The only reason I am still awake at this moment is that I am concentrating on the laptop and this forum, otherwise I would probably be dozing again. More tea, I suppose, will help. Coffee doesn't do anything for me. That's what I'll do - go and make a cup of tea and try to stay awake long enough to drink it.

'Night all.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Brunneria that sounds a scary episode with the air fryer.

Sticking to 100% carnivore this week. 3 meals today.

Breakfast at cafe near work. 2 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and some grated cheese.

Lunch - Nando’s. Ordered online for collection and forgot to specify a leg, so ended up with a plain quarter chicken and a side of grilled halloumi plus a couple of pats of butter to add to the chicken. Also ordered 3 wings, but didn’t need them. Safely stowed in the fridge at work for tomorrow.

Dinner was 2 fried eggs, 2 rashers bacon and some fried halloumi.

B6687862-9B34-4817-8B1E-DED3790DD63B.jpeg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today has been

No B
L: the most magnificent gammon and 2 fried eggs in the history of the world (in village pub). Ditched the tomatoes on Mr B’s plate and allowed myself ALL the chips - they were cooked in proper fat, not oil.
Had a little digestive snooze, after :wacky:
No D will be necessary.

My intention to avoid all starchy carbs totally isn’t working out as planned. :D Hey ho. At least avoiding veg is going well :hilarious:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Been away for a bit due to annoying shoulder/ arm/neck pain stopping me tapping on my phone. Am going to try keeping posts brief for a bit so I don’t aggravate it, but miss you all too much to stay away completely.
B: halloumi and scrambled eggs
L: Chicken and Something soup ( from Katie and Giancarlio Caldesi’s book The Diabetes Weightloss Cookbook. V good.
D: DD Garam Masala chicken then a 30g bar Montezuma’s black.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
The coconut flour sauce was such a failure that instead of adding cheese, added pudding rice, sweetener and spices.
Tried again with ordinary flour, this time used the wrong cheese. Didn't know such a thing was possible, but while emmental does melt, it doesnt blend, remains a sludgy layer in the bottom of the pan. Aded some wholegrain mustard and used it anyway.
So two failures today.
Wonder what MrSlim will make of his dinner ?

annoyingly draft did not save, so here it is again
24-09-19
breakfast - two slices of pain kapnor with avocado and a hint of marmite. Had to check the contents, but yes, @28 carbs per 100g two slices is allowable. only one cup of tea though as off out shopping.
lunch - MrSlim had baguette, pate and green salad. I fried up some cauli rice, stuck an egg on top and ate it with salad. tea.
more tea in the afternoon.
dinner - leg off the bargain smoked chicken, the cauli cheese ( sauce still a bit thin) runner beans and carrots. Glass of rose.

Also made today the mince layer for cottage pie, was to have been dinner tonight , but the chcken has a two day use by date. Mince was tasty and tender, so hours in the kitchen not entirely wasted.

The rice pudding? Well it was ok, but the coconut flour gave it a slightly granular texture. We both ate some though, my portion was about three spoonfuls. No idea of carb units and forgot to check BG before meal.
More marks for effort then achievment today, i think.

edited to add information.
Although i didnt check befor the meal, thought it worth trying hour later just to see if there was a big spike.
approx hour after meal BG 6.4
another hour later still 6.4
hour later again 5.8

Counting that as a win :)

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea until 1.00 pm. 3 egg, mushroom and cheese (2 oz) omelette with 50 gms each turkey breast and ox tongue. Mackerel (tinned in OO) and avocado salad with chia seeds topping. @DJC3 hug is for the Montezumas - even the mouse didn't want it here. @SlimLizzy sorry to hear about the 2 culinary non successes but like for honesty and effort.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Been away for a bit due to annoying shoulder/ arm/neck pain stopping me tapping on my phone. Am going to try keeping posts brief for a bit so I don’t aggravate it, but miss you all too much to stay away completely.
B: halloumi and scrambled eggs
L: Chicken and Something soup ( from Katie and Giancarlio Caldesi’s book The Diabetes Weightloss Cookbook. V good.
D: DD Garam Masala chicken then a 30g bar Montezuma’s black.

Welcome back @DJC3 we’ve missed you too.

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of an air fryer drama here in holiday land.
Very exciting, and a salutory lesson, which I am passing on. :hilarious:

I’ve been regularly making chicken kebabs, on wooden skewers. These have to be snapped shorter to fit the basket. Works v well.

And lately, I have been fitting more in by poking the ends of the wooden skewers into the vent holes in the bottom of the basket. They can’t stand upright (not enough headroom), but they can lean in a drunken circle, allowing a lot more skewers to fit in (6 instead of 3 or 4).

Only I have learned that if you leave the skewers half an inch too long, they are too close to the heat and scorch, even char.

I will leave you to imagine the door throwing open and the tea towel flapping, and the wafting of air away from the fire alarms...

It was a near run thing, I think.
Last thing we wanted, was a fire alarm setting off with our holiday cottage landlord in the next property. Haha!

The gadget now has a slight barbecue scorched wood aroma, but I expect it will clear, eventually.

The kebabs were great though.
Meat tossed in whatever spices and seasonings, mixed in with a dab of mayo, cream or oil, to keep the moistness in. Then chunks on skewer. Then skewer in airfryer for 20 mins at 180 degrees. Beautifully moist in middle, with lovely black/golden crispy bits on corners.

Of course, onions, peppers, chorizo and so on could add an extra dimension, if wanted.
Wanted a wow emoji the thought of the air fryer near miss! Food sounds great though and I like my meat slightly charred!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today am wondering if it is possible to use coconut flour to thicken cheese sauce?
has anyone tried this?
what was the result?
quantities?

have naked cauliflower desperately needing a covering...
I just slosh double cream over the cauliflower with seasoning and grated cheese on top. Works well. If wanting a thicker sauce I use full fat cream cheese mixed with a bit of double cream pour on cauliflower and top with grated cheese. You don’t need flour in my opinion, just stick in oven for 40mins at 180 fan worksfor me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today am wondering if it is possible to use coconut flour to thicken cheese sauce?
has anyone tried this?
what was the result?
quantities?

have naked cauliflower desperately needing a covering...

I’ve tried to make gravy with it instead of flour, it was horrible and didn’t work at all. I just heat cream and a lot of grated cheese together for cauli cheese.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 welcome back we’ve missed you I do hope your shoulder prob improves properly soon.
Breakfast bacon, egg and half slice Hilo Toast
Busy day so took a few portable sweet treats with me!
Portable treats whilst out and about - deliciously guilt free millionaire shortbread and four squares of 100% choc
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and a few green beans with glass of dry white, a few home grown berries (they are nearly over now) with lc lemon mousse yoghurt and cream.
Respite Plans I’m hoping are nearly in place for care cover for autistic adult son for when away - will be out all day tomorrow sorting final stuff ( more portable treats in bag?) and then if all works going to Birmingham airport in middle of night on Wednesday for week of much longed for time out in Dubrovnik ! Only one more day if goes to plan!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast butter tea x2
Lunch: ham salad, mayo (currently favour Heinz)
Supper: roasted chunks aubergine, red onion, tomato x2 EVO and dried herbs.

@DJC3 good to see you here. So hope the injury is mending. If you can how is Dennis? A thumbs up emoji will do!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I’ve tried to make gravy with it instead of flour, it was horrible and didn’t work at all. I just heat cream and a lot of grated cheese together for cauli cheese.[/QUOTE
@DJC3 sounds delicious.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for welcome back all.
I might have missed a discussion on this while I was off but did anyone get an email about Copy Me That being removed from the App Store?
Does anyone use a different app?

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Breakfast I had some yoghurt with strawberries and black coffee

Dinner I had beef kebabs with a baby tomatoes and feta cheese herbs and avocado

Was still hungry so had some of my homemade yoghurt with blueberries

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for welcome back all.
I might have missed a discussion on this while I was off but did anyone get an email about Copy Me That being removed from the App Store?
Does anyone use a different app?

I did, and I'm still using it. It's still working for me. I think the issue is for new users.

Others in the FB IP group use Paprika, and another I can't recall the name of. However, my conclusion is if App has disappeared forever, I'll just use in in the browser. Clearly the app is easier to use on the iPad, or phone, but I've made notes on several of the things I have made - especially those I've "converted" for IP or air fryer.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did, and I'm still using it. It's still working for me. I think the issue is for new users.

Others in the FB IP group use Paprika, and another I can't recall the name of. However, my conclusion is if App has disappeared forever, I'll just use in in the browser. Clearly the app is easier to use on the iPad, or phone, but I've made notes on several of the things I have made - especially those I've "converted" for IP or air fryer.

Interesting, thanks. It hadn’t occurred to me that the browser would still be ok. Phew
The email said that previously saved recipes would be safe but not new ones. I haven’t tried to add anything recently though. I’ve also heard of Paprika but wonder if they will have the same problems as it seems to be a copy-write issue that some authors complained about, so presumably all such apps would have to be removed from the App Store. What a pain, hope it gets sorted.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like I’m off on my holidays for a week, a few hours from now - respite care amazingly all in place.
Breakfast bacon and egg and half a slice of Hilo toast
Snacks while out caring DGF millionaire shortbread and a few squares of 100% chocolate.
Dinner lamb and last of home made coleslaw, lc mousse and glass of dry red wine.
May well not post until back from Dubrovnik will see how it goes!