What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What have I eaten today? Erm,..... rather a lot of everything!

Personally, I am blaming the meds I have on a 6 month trial to try to support my recalcitrant thyroid
Evenin’ All,

Yesterday
No B
L: more lovely Tescos chicken wings :D
D: garlic chilli buttered prawns with oomi noodles :wacky:

Today
No B
L: tuna cheese cream oomi noodle bake type thing :happy:
D: lamb burglars with aoli :woot:

And I finally got round to baking that lo dough choc brownie kit. It is cooling now. Will report back later.

Had a fab dog walk today. They scampered magnificently from start to finish, rugby tackles, Chase Me! Running donut circles, commando rolls, chest bumps, truffle hunting, wrestling and tooth clashing. A good time had by all. Even gave a rather portly 8 yr old cocker spaniel a run for her money.

Brunneria - Have you tried the Moo Grob from cooked, then frozen (before "frying") belly slices? I had played a little at the beginning, but had always cut the strips into the smaller chunks before "frying" for some reason.

Today, whilst doing a freezer rummage and reshuffle, I found a couple of cooked, then seasoned slices lingering in a corner of the freezer. Thinking they'd likely have freezer burn, I got them out, thinking they'd be eaten or ditched.

Having added some dry rub to the cooked slices, before vacc sealing them, they looked dry, then, I forgot (I'm so hopeless) to spray them with oil before starting them in the airfryer, but, boy, they were delish, and the crackling superb.

Erm,...... Yes. I've had a hungry day today. This liothyronine seems to have really revved up my already healthy appetite. I just hope it's revving up my thyroid in the same way!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful @ianpspurs with the dizziness/LBP. My brother had dreadful problems with it but having gone down a few times he learned that getting upright was a slow, gradual move.
Thanks. Just for the moment I am a little wary around exercise but I need to do some as it makes LC bearable.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What have I eaten today? Erm,..... rather a lot of everything!

Personally, I am blaming the meds I have on a 6 month trial to try to support my recalcitrant thyroid

Brunneria - Have you tried the Moo Grob from cooked, then frozen (before "frying") belly slices? I had played a little at the beginning, but had always cut the strips into the smaller chunks before "frying" for some reason.

Today, whilst doing a freezer rummage and reshuffle, I found a couple of cooked, then seasoned slices lingering in a corner of the freezer. Thinking they'd likely have freezer burn, I got them out, thinking they'd be eaten or ditched.

Having added some dry rub to the cooked slices, before vacc sealing them, they looked dry, then, I forgot (I'm so hopeless) to spray them with oil before starting them in the airfryer, but, boy, they were delish, and the crackling superb.

Erm,...... Yes. I've had a hungry day today. This liothyronine seems to have really revved up my already healthy appetite. I just hope it's revving up my thyroid in the same way!

Funnily enough, the last moo grob I cooked was straight from frozen.
Didn’t know whether it would work, but thought it worth the risk for 2 small strips.
My major concern was that they had frozen stuck together, but I just waited til they had been cooking a couple of mins and then separated them.

I’m not jealous of your thyroid problems, but I’m certainly envious of being able to EAT to true satisfaction. :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@PenguinMum have started on the peanut butter habit again, after a lull. Now three quarters down a 1 litre tub.

03-10-19
breakfast. nut granola and coffee with cream x2 was hoping the extra calories would stop me getting ravenous before lunch time. not sure my stomach was happy with coffee so early in the day.
tea in town while shopping
lunch, pate, several very thin slices of fresh crusty baguette, probably around 40g in total, ham slice, hard boiled egg, lettuc, cucumber, and a single spring onion from the garden. Next batch look more like chives, nowhere near ready to eat, same for the radish and lettuce, although we have about two days supply of lambs lettuce still. tea.
tea and more tea.
Two spoonfuls of peanut butter to keep me going while cooking.
dinner chicken, leek and mushroom casserole with pearl barley. Not a lot of barley, but i skipped potatoes anyway. had extra cauliflower instead. glass of rose wine. Greek yoghurt and raspberries, tea and another smaller glass of wine in the evening.
Builders last day tomorrow. They have not made as much progress as we hoped. :( Maybe they will put a spurt on? :nailbiting:
Must try to remember its weighing day tomorrow as well.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough, the last moo grob I cooked was straight from frozen.
Didn’t know whether it would work, but thought it worth the risk for 2 small strips.
My major concern was that they had frozen stuck together, but I just waited til they had been cooking a couple of mins and then separated them.

I’m not jealous of your thyroid problems, but I’m certainly envious of being able to EAT to true satisfaction. :)

The straight from frozen makes for a simple, fast and very LC option. I must do some more and ensure at least some goes into the freezer. Nom, nom, nom.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally caught up again! Wednesday bed 7.1 FBG 7.3.
Yesterday started well enough. Garage called to say my car was ready again but I decided to leave the pickup until today as Hubby decided we were going to look at TVs with a quick visit to M&S to pick up a few days food. Ah the best laid plans....

B. TAG with ADOC and I had a lovely toasted sandwich with skinny bread, egg and bacon.
L. Nothing - out looking at TVs and microwaves. I think we've decided (sorry @ianpspurs we reckon the 65" is big enough). Looks like it's Samsung again. Or so I thought.
D. One of M&S rotisserie cooks- bit of that with medley of greens and celeriac mash. Even had a wee prosecco.

Best laid plans.....about 11pm was just thinking about going to bed when I thought the noise from the boiler didn't sound quite right. Went to have a look and to my horror the pressure was at maximum. Thought better turn it off, get taps on, wake Hubby and start bleeding radiators. So far so good. Pressure started to drop but then what I thought were leaks started. Wasn't leaks - it was the boiler. Water pouring through. So 11.30pm we're struggling to get the pressure down and every time we turned the taps off the pressure went up again! Turned the mains off and called emergency line but no one was coming out at that time. Kept on bleeding the rads and with the mains off the pressure finally came down. Put towels under the boiler, plastic containers where I could and eventually 1am pressure was at 10 o'clock and the water was reduced to a few drops. Enough to go to bed! Cursed, I'm cursed.

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday started well enough. Garage called to say my car was ready again but I decided to leave the pickup until today as Hubby decided we were going to look at TVs with a quick visit to M&S to pick up a few days food. Ah the best laid plans....

B. TAG with ADOC and I had a lovely toasted sandwich with skinny bread, egg and bacon.
L. Nothing - out looking at TVs and microwaves. I think we've decided (sorry @ianpspurs we reckon the 65" is big enough). Looks like it's Samsung again. Or so I thought.
D. One of M&S rotisserie cooks- bit of that with medley of greens and celeriac mash. Even had a wee prosecco.

Best laid plans.....about 11pm was just thinking about going to bed when I thought the noise from the boiler didn't sound quite right. Went to have a look and to my horror the pressure was at maximum. Thought better turn it off, get taps on, wake Hubby and start bleeding radiators. So far so good. Pressure started to drop but then what I thought were leaks started. Wasn't leaks - it was the boiler. Water pouring through. So 11.30pm we're struggling to get the pressure down and every time we turned the taps off the pressure went up again! Turned the mains off and called emergency line but no one was coming out at that time. Kept on bleeding the rads and with the mains off the pressure finally came down. Put towels under the boiler, plastic containers where I could and eventually 1am pressure was at 10 o'clock and the water was reduced to a few drops. Enough to go to bed! Cursed, I'm cursed.

Gracious! The trials and tribulations you are being inundated with! The hassles are endless...

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Fresh river prawns that our grandsons caught yesterday.
Dwe01us.gif

Dinner: Goat chops, veggies, pan juice gravy.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

Got a good deal on my online shop, my brand of coffee was half price plus 250 reward points, got $100.00 saved for xmas now so far.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After the early morning escapades with the boiler, got a call at 7.45am from the emergency plumber. They don't have a slot until Friday. So no boiler, no heating but worse no water. Cancelled Aqua, went for car, gardeners arrived then tried to sort out getting someone in quick to isolate the boiler so we could get water back.
Did eventually get someone at 3pm. Got 2 coming tomorrow for boiler quotes as it's beyond repair now. Suspect the TV may wait a bit longer.

Bed, not surprisingly, was 11.1 (goodness knows what my BP was). FBG still high at 7.8 and I got a surge to 10.1 after.

B. TAG with ADOC *thanks to numerous bottles of water from my niece's house.
L. Nothing although I was busy with bacon rolls for the gardeners and getting dinner for grandsons/hubby into IP.
D. Very late, 2 boiled eggs mashed with butter and a slice of toasted skinny bread with lurpack.

A strange day though. Having spent months shouting as grandsons leave the toilet "Flush" today's cry was "Don't flush!". So we've had a ceiling collapse, car broke down 4 times, TV went kaboom and now the boiler has blown.
It could have been worse. We could have been at home when the ceiling fell in, the TV has had a good innings and the boiler could really have gone kaboom if I hadn't noticed a change in sound. Don't think my lottery win will make much of a dent in the cost of a boiler.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The chicken crackling was from a small shop inside Hatfield railway station. Never seen it before. Brand was Little Bobby Jebb. You can get them on Amazon.

I ordered some from Amazon 2 days ago. Waiting impatiently for them to arrive. One little drawback - they do have some rice flour in them but very little, so it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After the early morning escapades with the boiler, got a call at 7.45am from the emergency plumber. They don't have a slot until Friday. So no boiler, no heating but worse no water. Cancelled Aqua, went for car, gardeners arrived then tried to sort out getting someone in quick to isolate the boiler so we could get water back.
Did eventually get someone at 3pm. Got 2 coming tomorrow for boiler quotes as it's beyond repair now. Suspect the TV may wait a bit longer.

Bed, not surprisingly, was 11.1 (goodness knows what my BP was). FBG still high at 7.8 and I got a surge to 10.1 after.

B. TAG with ADOC *thanks to numerous bottles of water from my niece's house.
L. Nothing although I was busy with bacon rolls for the gardeners and getting dinner for grandsons/hubby into IP.
D. Very late, 2 boiled eggs mashed with butter and a slice of toasted skinny bread with lurpack.

A strange day though. Having spent months shouting as grandsons leave the toilet "Flush" today's cry was "Don't flush!". So we've had a ceiling collapse, car broke down 4 times, TV went kaboom and now the boiler has blown.
It could have been worse. We could have been at home when the ceiling fell in, the TV has had a good innings and the boiler could really have gone kaboom if I hadn't noticed a change in sound. Don't think my lottery win will make much of a dent in the cost of a boiler.

I was going to congratulate you on your lottery win, but it has turned into commiserations now. You have had such a hard time recently. At least the lottery money will go a little way towards the boiler. As usual, I thank my lucky stars for son No 1 who was able to isolate our boiler when it broke down a couple of years back and who had already installed 2 electric showers for me. I'm not gloating - honest. But Asperger's or no - I still say every house should have a Neil.

I had my spare rib chop for my evening meal, with roasted cauliflower. It was a bit on the big side and I doubted that I should eat it all. I did though - I was greedy! Really enjoyed it. Today was a good food day; now I just have to check the BG and see what damage I've done.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Can’t believe the problems you’re having at the moment. Will it never end? What my old prof called ‘the cussedness of inanimate objects’. Hugs aren’t enough but have some anyway.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goonergal, we haven't tried it out yet, but I reckon the AF could achieve great roasts. Our AF has a rotisserie function (not used yet), but Mr comments every now and then we should try a decent fatty roast on it for the automatic/natural basting, then of course the option for hot, hot crackling.

I must have play one day. In fact, MrB is away for a few days next week, so it may just happen then.

Wondering if you’ve tested this? I have a piece of beef topside with a nice chunky layer of fat on top and am toying with the idea of cooking it in the air fryer tonight. No rotisserie function for me, but hopefully would still work.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wondering if you’ve tested this? I have a piece of beef topside with a nice chunky layer of fat on top and am toying with the idea of cooking it in the air fryer tonight. No rotisserie function for me, but hopefully would still work.

No. We haven't ahd a go with that,............ yet! Dr Google says it's definitely doable, so fingers crossed.

http://lovefoodnotcooking.com/recipes/air-fryer-roast-beef/

I guess one of the things I would take from that particular link would be having the raw meat at room temperature prior to cooking. I guess that makes sense for a larger chunk of meat.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to come back and report on the lo dough brownie

Disappointing.

It is touted at 'just 65 calories per brownie' (if you cut it into the recommended 9 pieces, and have a square tin).

I used a round tin and cut it into 8.
Ended up quite un-brownie like. No gooey middle, no crunchy top. The edges were a little overcooked (even though I did it for 5 mins less than the recipe) and they had that tell tale lo dough polystyrene quality.
The choc flavour was IMHO v mild. But then I enjoy strong dark choc.
There were a few (very few) choc drops in it. Should have been 10x as many.
The overall result was a v thin, rather heavy choc sponge cake.

Now, don't get me wrong, the remaining portions will be delectablised with the addition of double cream, a few defrosted king cherries and additional twiddles, and it will become very nice indeed. But the brownie itself... I'm going to say it - the worst possible insult I know when talking about food - it was mediocre. :hilarious:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A little hesitant to ask as my tastes seem to be totally out of whack with the rest of you but ..... So, air fryers with rotisserie function. How close to the moisture of supermarket ready cooked chickens can they get? - my benchmark for thinking of buying one. We gave ours away as a bad mistake but I'm guessing they have moved on but I also know my tastes are way out of line with you guys hence the chicken idea as best guide to what I'm after. Best at the moment is chicken in a roasting bag. IP is not even as tarter. TIA

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to come back and report on the lo dough brownie

Disappointing.

It is touted at 'just 65 calories per brownie' (if you cut it into the recommended 9 pieces, and have a square tin).

I used a round tin and cut it into 8.
Ended up quite un-brownie like. No gooey middle, no crunchy top. The edges were a little overcooked (even though I did it for 5 mins less than the recipe) and they had that tell tale lo dough polystyrene quality.
The choc flavour was IMHO v mild. But then I enjoy strong dark choc.
There were a few (very few) choc drops in it. Should have been 10x as many.
The overall result was a v thin, rather heavy choc sponge cake.

Now, don't get me wrong, the remaining portions will be delectablised with the addition of double cream, a few defrosted king cherries and additional twiddles, and it will become very nice indeed. But the brownie itself... I'm going to say it - the worst possible insult I know when talking about food - it was mediocre. :hilarious:

I bought some of that too, in time for the start of Bake Off. I agree it’s mediocre. Mine was the same as yours - slightly overdone round the edges and no gooey middle.
It was ok warm with a lot of thick cream but nobody else liked it much and I ended up chucking the last bit.
I bought 2 packs annoyingly so might have a go at some sort of lc Black Forest thing at Christmas, at least I won’t have the high expectations I started off with.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some of that too, in time for the start of Bake Off. I agree it’s mediocre. Mine was the same as yours - slightly overdone round the edges and no gooey middle.
It was ok warm with a lot of thick cream but nobody else liked it much and I ended up chucking the last bit.
I bought 2 packs annoyingly so might have a go at some sort of lc Black Forest thing at Christmas, at least I won’t have the high expectations I started off with.

I think if I had another pack I might be tempted to add melted butter to the mix with the water.
That would probably make a big difference to the mouth feel and the succulence.
Also adding choc drops, nuts, even a few dried cranberries or chopped up cherries would moisten it and add interest.
My Mr B has a stash of those LC syrups too, and a dash of the caramel one, or the maple walnut one, would make a big difference too...

Am beginning to wish I had another pack... lol

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A little hesitant to ask as my tastes seem to be totally out of whack with the rest of you but ..... So, air fryers with rotisserie function. How close to the moisture of supermarket ready cooked chickens can they get? - my benchmark for thinking of buying one. We gave ours away as a bad mistake but I'm guessing they have moved on but I also know my tastes are way out of line with you guys hence the chicken idea as best guide to what I'm after. Best at the moment is chicken in a roasting bag. IP is not even as tarter. TIA
I'm also a fan of the roast in the bag chooks. I've never attempted a whole chook in the air fryer mainly because it wouldn't fit. When it comes to wings/thighs etc it's always the air fryer but that's because I want crisp skin.
I don't have a rotisserie function so can't comment on that I'm afraid.

Reactions: ianpspurs