What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Have finally caught up on all the messages again after not posting for several days.

@maglil55 -- Can't believe that after all the bad luck with the car, the ceiling and the TV, your boiler now broke down, too. When it rains, it really does pour. Please accept a big hug from me. Hope you enjoy your time away next week.

@Annb -- Oh no, so sorry you didn't enjoy the chicken cracklings. Have just ordered 40 packs myself (to justify the cost of shipping them to Germany), hope it won't turn into a disaster, wished I had read your post before.

Made a pig out of myself yesterday and had lots of food. To make matters worse, also decided to skip the exercise. So was expecting higher blood sugars this morning (as usually happens after a debauchery like this), but got away this time. Phew!

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: 30g of chicken liver pate, one chicken Wiener, 70 g of Rambol (a soft cheese with walnuts), and about 30g of shrimp. Plus one square of 95% chocolate on the train to Cologne.

Dinner: Out having wine (one and half glasses of red) and tapas (salted almonds and fried sardines). Later at home a hamburger patty with cheddar, 50g of avocado mixed with a bit of mayonnaise.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
First @maglil55 good gracious about the boiler...as you say it could have been worse but still no joke and why at that time of night! You certainly deserve a holiday and fingers crossed for no more emergencies.
Have had a bit of a disappointing week...not enjoying my food and BG not as good as should be. I seem to only fancy soup atm so am going to try some Keto soups in the coming week. Did have cod last night but it was supermarket prepack and nothing near as tasty as the fishmongers. Did discover a quick sauce though. Sacla do 2 packs of long life single use green pesto. Stirred one into half a small tub of FAGE yogurt and it went really well with the fish...even OH was impressed! The remaining yogurt was used to make a quick smoked mackerel pate with the addition of a teasp Dijon mustard.
Note; there is nothing like freshly made pesto but these little ones are handy to have around. @SlimLizzy lol I have tried to stay away from the peanut butter as the week wore on.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Haven't eaten evening meal yet but family evening later so will post now. Food wasn't unpleasant and I tried to make it as LCHF as I could but limited enjoyment which is a shame as Julie really tries so hard, B=tea. Had a CWC by the river with son and family - around 1.00 - not a great experience but lovely venue. L= CCB with extra thick double cream - best shot at more fibre and sweetish food. Evening will be Ox cheek casserole/stew/slow cooked whatever. Again,best shot at autumn/winter food. I can eat this way just can't be enthusiastic about it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.3 FBG was also 6.3. I appear to have stabilised again after the big rise trying to stop the flood from the boiler. Got out bright and early and got my shopping done. Got some lovely rose veal liver for tomorrow which was inspired by seeing it on Celebrity Masterchef. Razor Ruddock I believe. I'm still reeling from Razor Ruddock presenting a meringue roulade - not something I would expect at all.

@Annb - what a shame about the chicken crackling. I was going to order them but I think I'll wait a bit now.

@SlimLizzy, @ziggy_w and @PenguinMum - yes, I've had a dreadful run but no point in letting it get me down. It's just a lot of money at once but non essentials can wait. A new boiler was definitely the priority and at least we have our annual gathering next week ( in Newcastle this year ).

B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Got back just after 12.30 with shopping and got hubby to get a chicken on to make chicken and mushroom soup which I've wanted since last night.
Much later I had a mug of said soup which is excellent.
D. Much later will have a slice of roast pork leg, ox tongue, and 4 pork luncheon meat. 1/2 avocado, little lettuce, 4 santini tomatoes, spoonful of coleslaw and helmans.
I think there may be a lot of soup consumed over the next few days.

I've removed a couple of bits of DGF Millionaire shortbread from the freezer and am planning on having a bit with a coffee later.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of egg, bacon, mushrooms and two cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, blackberries and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: coconut chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: cold garlic chicken with leafy salad, cucumber and two orange rapture tomatoes, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oxtail soup again at 1.30 - there's enough left for another one and a half bowls. I did keep insulin at the slightly higher level of 34 units but result was BG dropped from 9.0 to 7.4 an hour and a half later.

For dinner I made a sort of hash with chunks of Lorne sausage, the end of the black pudding, cauliflower leaves chopped up, an onion, some mushrooms that needed to be used up and 2 eggs cooked through it. I had enough in the pan to keep back half for tomorrow. I put that in a dish with some double cream, before adding the egg to the rest, and will reheat it for lunch, or dinner tomorrow. BG before dinner was down to 6.1. Another 34 units insulin should keep BG down after the hash.

Neil bought some chicory powder on the internet to try and see how he would do with it and as a change from ground coffee. It seems to have been allright for him (although some palm hearts he bought locally weren't). I tried it today - getting fed up with tea, tea and more tea. And anyway, I don't have many teabags left for the next few days until I can get to the shops again). It's a very bitter drink, but OK with milk in it. I might just have more of that, just as a change.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My much anticipated chicken crackling arrived today. 10 packs - smallest amount available on Amazon. I thought that would be fine because Em loves chicken skin, but not chicken itself, so I thought I would share it with her when she comes next time. However, I tried it and thought it was awful. Just tasted bad (maybe the fenugreek) and I was very aware of the rice flour content. But the worst bit was the amount of salt. Em's Dad came in (he's our postman) and I asked him to try it. He agreed - far too much salt and we both decided that it was too salty to offer a 7 year old child. Even too salty to offer his dogs. So that's all 10 packs in the bin! Ah well, we have to try these things.

Mine also arrived and I didn’t like them either! I ordered both the plain and the chilli so I have 2 boxes to get rid of! @Goonergal and @maglil55 I’ll happily post them to you - or anyone who fancies trying them. Seems such a waste to throw them. I didn’t find them too salty, I just didn’t like the chicken fat aftertaste.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine also arrived and I didn’t like them either! I ordered both the plain and the chilli so I have 2 boxes to get rid of! @Goonergal and @maglil55 I’ll happily post them to you - or anyone who fancies trying them. Seems such a waste to throw them. I didn’t find them too salty, I just didn’t like the chicken fat aftertaste.

That’s a shame. Don’t fancy the chilli ones, but would be up for a couple of packs of the plain ones.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mouseee I also tried the Aldi halloumi chips a while ago and agree they are not a patch on homemade ones, much carbier too. I wouldn’t get them again. Great news about the weight loss by the way.

Breakfast today was fridge leftovers ie a hard boiled egg, halved and topped with a spoonful of cream cheese and dash of sriracha chilli sauce. A poor man’s devilled egg. CWC
Couple of coffee stops en route to let Dennis stretch his legs.
Lunch another h/b egg and leftover tandoori chicken from last night.
Dinner - nothing in so cheese, nuts and Montezuma’s absolute black.
Went to see Joker this evening ( took chicken crackling to eat instead of popcorn but didn’t eat it - see above) it was a dark and depressing film but Joaquin Phoenix was mesmerising.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eerily quiet in here today.

Planned OMAD but ended up with two meals. Pre-match meal was on the go, en route to the footie as hadn’t quite thought through enough to organise a proper meal near the ground. Bag of Awfully Posh on the train followed by a single peperami and a 24g stick of mature cheddar from Tesco.

Post match meal at Nando’s. Two plain legs and a side of grilled halloumi.

Short jaunt along the canal on my way home.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd love to try one of each. No rush as I'm away from Thursday and I don't think the letterbox would help. Can I get you anything in return?

I'll pm my address.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.1 FBG 5.7 and no DP surge which us good. Started the operation to prep the house for the new boiler installation as we have to remove the door from the cupboard the boiler is in, clear the area around it and have access to all radiators. It has been chucking it down today so no chance to get washing done.
Usual trip to boys swimming lessons. Finally stopped No 1 moaning about the cold pool. The wet suit was a great success and, miraculously, his backstroke was perfect! It was the wet suit he tells me.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Had to have another large mug of that chicken & mushroom soup. Another one tomorrow and the rest is heading to the freezer.
D. Usual campari and soda with a pack of M&S serrano ham crisps. Rose veal liver, onions, cauli mash and a mix of broccoli, green beans and grated carrot.
Still have a bit DGF Millionaire shortbread calling to me from the fridge and may also have some raspberries as I made the cauli mash too cheesy and I am in need of something to counteract.

PS I see Peter Parker's photo has finally left the front page of the thread. It's a nice view of somewhere but I can't find it in the thread.
Edit - found it. @DCUKMod's Death in Paradise chook.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Lovely family day 8 adults and 4 children for lunch plus 1 with chicken pox facetimed us. Food enjoyed by everyone else, did nothing for me but glad to see them all happy. My meal was roast pork, cabbage, swede and carrot mash, crackling. The apple sauce, roast potatoes, peas, parsnips, yorkshires and gravy plus apple pie and custard looked good. Almost tempted to try some wine for first time this year but didn't see the point. Food all cooked as well as that can be just no longer works well for me. Loads of prep plus filling and emptying dishwasher. Had some cheese to take a tablet later which I did like - the cheese.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
missed a day, hope i can remember
05-10-19
breakfast, lots of peanut butter straight from the pot, tea
coffee
lunch, several thin slices baguette, pate, turkey slices ( except to me its more like turkey sausage) MrSlim is trying to find alternative to ham. cucumber, few leaves from the garden. Greek yoghurt and raspberries. Found a cheaper version of frozen raspberries, broken ones. lol broken - they are crumbs. Still for stirring into yoghurt will do .
dinner, fish curry, MrSlim cooked. Had mine with cauli rice.
probably forgotten something.
chilly day, mindful of the coming operation we lit the fire. It usually takes a couple of days to warm the house.

06-10-19
breakfast nut granola, could not be bothered to cook so had some "turkey" slices, tea
coffee
out to local Vide Grenier.
lunch
2 slices toasted pain Kapnor, pate, ham, greek yoghurt and raspberry crumbs
tea and more tea
dinner, Mr Slim cooked. roasted cod, potatoes, braised turnips and carrots, hollandaise sauce. White wine
figs and pear poached in wine, served with cream. and dessert wine
come on people how can i resist?

Did ask if it was possible to use sweetener instead of sugar - he thinks would not reduce to a syrup. Has anyone tried this?
His operation is scheduled for Tuesday. Both of us seem more worried about the phone call on monday, to find out the time. Hoping our french will be good enough.
French system so different, we already have all the medication he might need afterwards, and anti bac shower gel to use for two days beforehand.
Cant help thinking in UK might still be waiting to see consultant...