What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I have a few pancake recipes but this one is my favourite. They're light as a feather and brilliant with berries and a dash of cream. Hopefully you're OK with the ingredients.
I can't found the recipe can you repost it thank you ☆☆

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
So if a late breakfast is called ‘brunch’, what’s a late lunch called? ‘Linner’ or ‘dunch’, anyway I was delayed at an appt so I had it and it was: Greek yoghurt with coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola with a black coffee.
Dinner: chicken, lemongrass and coconut stir fry (no noodles) followed by SF jelly, cream and keto coconut and macadamia granola.
One day I've got to try this porridge but does it taste too coconut.tty is that a word

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good he has been able to control with diet and his able to find something that works for him very happy to hear that. But I was taken back with what you wrote my sever pan ulcerative colitis nearly killed me 8 years ago I was so malnourished and my body was shutting down. I would love not to take medication biologics and my vitamins and other medications but unfortunately my sever UC doesn't listen. I also avoid a lot of foods due to UC so I understand about limiting food at one stage I tried only living on water but still had sever diarrhea 40 times a day so my life would be so much easier if only my UC would listen as I can be eating foods that are my safe foods for months then all of a sudden I'm flaring even on my safe foods. Yes there are times I eat something that may not be a good idea but when you eat food that is in the safe side even water and still flare it can be tough.

So thank you for writing the extra comment because I was a tad upset by your reply, but I do understand that you were only trying to help.
That sure is several baskets of deplorables @annabell1. Fitting T2 management into that must be a nightmare.

Reactions: annabell1

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Insomnia and joint pain sucks so after tossing and turning I finely fell asleep this morning at 4.30am and got up at 11am. But still quite tired.

Breakfast was 2 boiled eggs with 1/2 an avocado and a babybel cheese washed down with black coffee.

Dinner was supposed to be chicken thighs but still frozen. So I've just had a cup of tea with the other half of avocado handfull nuts and a peice of cheese followed by a frozen chocolate coconut rasberry bombs that I find in my freezer when looking for something else. But still feeling pickerish **** means might have to cook something but feeling lazy.
20191008_123602.jpeg
Resized_20180408_195416.jpeg

Edited by mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Evening all.

@SlimLizzy hope your husband’s surgery went well

@DJC3 a pound of pork and skipping the salad sounds like the way to go :D

@annabell1 your ribeye sounds good

Today was a TMAD.

Got very hungry and BG dropped very low before a lunch of - wait for it - bacon, eggs and cheese at the cafe near work

Dinner was air fried lamb ribs that had been marinated in olive oil, garlic, salt and thyme. Yum.

Have had a brainwave in relation to the air fryer - fat head/carnivore pizza would likely be far more crispy done that way. I feel an experiment coming on.

View attachment 36062
I've been thinking about buying an air fryer but still deciding! Was wondering what brand do you use. Oh and those lamb ribs look so good. Yummo

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
I guess it does a little, I use butter not coconut oil. I didn’t used to like coconut before going low carb, now I love it!
Mmm ok butter good tip will have to try

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good he has been able to control with diet and his able to find something that works for him very happy to hear that. But I was taken back with what you wrote my sever pan ulcerative colitis nearly killed me 8 years ago I was so malnourished and my body was shutting down. I would love not to take medication biologics and my vitamins and other medications but unfortunately my sever UC doesn't listen. I also avoid a lot of foods due to UC so I understand about limiting food at one stage I tried only living on water but still had sever diarrhea 40 times a day so my life would be so much easier if only my UC would listen as I can be eating foods that are my safe foods for months then all of a sudden I'm flaring even on my safe foods. Yes there are times I eat something that may not be a good idea but when you eat food that is in the safe side even water and still flare it can be tough.

So thank you for writing the extra comment because I was a tad upset by your reply, but I do understand that you were only trying to help.

@annabell1 I certainly wasn't meaning to imply that you could fix your UC with only the kind of diet that helps my son. I only meant to imply that for some people, watching the diet helps - as I know you are doing. I only wish it could help you more.

My sister-in-law has UC and has suffered for many years with it. Nothing seems to help her and I feel so sorry for her - and for you. UC isn't he same as Crohn's and in many ways I think it is worse. Looking at my husband's family, I have to wonder how much the various disorders are associated. There are Crohn's (3 sufferers), Coeliac disease (2 sufferers), Ulcerative Colitis (3 sufferers) and IBS. 2 of the UC sufferers seem to be in remission for long periods of time but eventually it comes back again and they have all 3 ended up in hospital for treatment.Then there are lots of arthritic sufferers and one Lupus sufferer (who couldn't cope with the pain and took her own life when doctors dismissed her pleas for help). Certainly autoimmune diseases are at the back of a lot of it.

With your positive attitude and understanding of what can cause flare-ups, I do hope you can find a way of reducing your condition at least. Don't give up hope of finding a way of alleviating the condition (perhaps using both diet and medication) because the answer may just be out there for you.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday's evening meal was a 3 egg cheese omelette which managed to push my BG up to 9.0 by bed time. Took a slightly larger dose of insulin overnight and it came down to 5.0 by 5.30 this morning.

Tea only today so far but I'm getting hungry (1 pm) so I think I'll have some oxtail soup (that kept the BG down last time) and tonight probably bacon and sausage. That'll probably put the calories up to something approaching the 1000 mark.

Took my new vitamin supplement yesterday - bad effect on my bowel (just like iron tablets do) but I'll try to keep going with just one tablet a day instead of 2 and see how I get on.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Brunneria Predictive text can be hilarious. Leftover burglar makes it sound as if you eat them frequently.

07-10-19
seems we were right to be worried about the phone call. We were given the wrong number... after a while spent on google decided would be quicker, and less stressful, to drive to the hospital and ask. We have to be there at 7.30am.

food today.
coffee with cream
more coffeewc
a croissant and then 2 eggs scrambled with butter.
lunch, soup and a small piece of baguette, tea
tea, more tea.
mrSlim is not eating, cant be bothered to cook, had chunk of cheese and later glass of wine.

At least you got it sorted. I hope it all went well for Mr Slim and that things become a bit less stressful for both of you.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can eat this way just can't be enthusiastic about it.
hi Ian, no problem with the food, mine is more a lack of enthusiasm for cooking in general. Used to have lot of sandwiches, pasta and rice. Now finding the need to cook proper meals all the time a bit wearing. Add to that MrSlims dietry requirements ( almost oposite of mine)and it gets really complicated. Lot of the time i just dont want to be bothered.

I understand how you feel @SlimLizzy I used to enjoy cooking - mainly because I enjoyed seeing other people enjoying what I had made. I always said that, if I were to be left alone, I wouldn't eat much because I couldn't be bothered to prepare food for just me. That actually happened before hubby died because he had to be nursed and tube-fed for the last 2 years of his life. I stopped cooking and ate bread, anything quick and easy etc. Then, of course, realised the damage I was doing and investigated lchf. Trouble with lchf is, it means making meals with real ingredients and spending time on it. I try to minimise that by making large batches of stuff for the freezer and then just getting it out when I need to eat. I do keep trying new foods, but things often end up being passed on to No 2 son's dogs, so I wonder if it is worth bothering making the effort. Thank goodness for the freezer (currently no room left in it, so I have to start eating some of it).

When I was younger, I didn't mind making several different foods at one time - one son was vegetarian, the other vegan and allergic to most foods, hubby loved veggies and potatoes but liked to have a good piece of meat with them, father liked his good old fashioned English meals and his puddings. Juggling was normal then. I guess I'm too old for all that now. Wish I had a magic wand, or a robot, to make lchf meals for me as and when I wanted them. But this is the real world.

Reactions: ziggy_w

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Started the day early with cold symptons but apart from feeling a bit meh its not developed yet. Spent the morning making my Christmas cakes was all geared up had the fruit bathing in cognac since the weekend. Normally the kitchen is full of lovely smells of nutmeg, spice and grated orange rind but not today. I feel a bit cheated since I cant eat any so rely on the nostalgic smell. Anyway they seem to have turned out fine.
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x3.
Lunch: Small chicken salad. Inside of the orange grated into rhe cakes.
Supper: 3 egg omelette (either mushroom or cheese & tomato)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: annabell1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand how you feel @SlimLizzy I used to enjoy cooking - mainly because I enjoyed seeing other people enjoying what I had made. I always said that, if I were to be left alone, I wouldn't eat much because I couldn't be bothered to prepare food for just me. That actually happened before hubby died because he had to be nursed and tube-fed for the last 2 years of his life. I stopped cooking and ate bread, anything quick and easy etc. Then, of course, realised the damage I was doing and investigated lchf. Trouble with lchf is, it means making meals with real ingredients and spending time on it. I try to minimise that by making large batches of stuff for the freezer and then just getting it out when I need to eat. I do keep trying new foods, but things often end up being passed on to No 2 son's dogs, so I wonder if it is worth bothering making the effort. Thank goodness for the freezer (currently no room left in it, so I have to start eating some of it).

When I was younger, I didn't mind making several different foods at one time - one son was vegetarian, the other vegan and allergic to most foods, hubby loved veggies and potatoes but liked to have a good piece of meat with them, father liked his good old fashioned English meals and his puddings. Juggling was normal then. I guess I'm too old for all that now. Wish I had a magic wand, or a robot, to make lchf meals for me as and when I wanted them. But this is the real world.

I don't want to prattle on about any brand, but as I understand it, most electric pressure cookers allow you to defrost and reheat frozen food, on one step. For soups casseroles, curries etc, it's very convenient.

The impact is having the choice to choose what to eat at relatively short notice.

Reactions: Annb

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: LC hot choc, rapidly followed by a muffinless MacDonalds breakfast thing. Turns out Mr B has developed a taste for them. Dogs got one of my pattys.
L: not needed!
D: last portion of jamalaya. Must make more. Loved it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum top marks to you for still making Christmas cake even though you won’t eat it. Must admit I just buy one these days for those that want it. You’re right about those lovely aromas though, sorry you couldn’t smell them and hope your cold doesn’t progress.
@Annb and @SlimLizzy have you looked at the Diet Doctor website for easily flung together meals? Pretty much anything with ‘plate’ in the title tends to be just a selection of cold deli type food - no real prep or cooking involved but sometimes in an interesting combination.
Breakfast today was 2 DD keto breakfast muffins
Lunch: Turkey salad (aka DD keto turkey plate!!)
Dinner: keto chicken casserole plus a glass of red.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: LC hot choc, rapidly followed by a muffinless MacDonalds breakfast thing. Turns out Mr B has developed a taste for them. Dogs got one of my pattys.
L: not needed!
D: last portion of jamalaya. Must make more. Loved it.

Brunneria - Did you use a recipe for your Jambalaya, or was it something you threw together utilising your culinary genius?