What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Common or not, falling, especially when it leads to damage and bleeding, is a big shock. Am I right in thinking you have a tendency to be rather hard on yourself?

Always was. Can't break the habit of a lifetime. It's OK though, I'd rather be critical of myself than leave it to others. And I'm actually quite good at laughing at myself - again, saves embarrassment when others do.:playful:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
19-10-19
Breakfast
Tea. No breakfast.
Late morning more tea.
About 2pm. Prawn wrap. Coleslaw and salad garnish. Glass of white wine. Quality was so poor sent the wine back. Barman was about to charge for second glass when manager intervened. It was better, just about drinkable. Good thing the food was tasty.
Visit to Aunt cakes galore provided. And bowl of peanuts. I did eventually crack and have a sloe gin mince pie.
Supper cheese and ham. 2 small slices of bread.
20-10-19Breakfast. Tea
Later. Visit to MrSlims aunt who cooked us bacon. eggs, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Travelling to midlands. Pit stop at friends on the way. Tea and more tea. Stopping with parents for a couple of nights. My mother has done it again. Tiramisu and lemon tart for pudding. Although the first course is steak. And mostly green vegetables. I did refuse the potato. Had a tiny portion of tiramisu. One portion (recommended size) is 31.4g carbs! Maybe mine was 15-20. Two glasses of prossecco. One before and one with dinner. Coffee with cream. Bedtime tea.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb sorry about your fall but glad no serious damage. please do not feel silly because we all do our best whatever life throws our way.
Todays food:
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch was out with friends. Starter small smoked haddock fishcake, lemon butter sauce followed by 6oz steak with a few frites. Water and coffee. Portions were small and 2 hours after was 5.8. Will probably have a couple of boiled eggs or 2 egg omelette with cheese to get me through.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still trying to see how my body and tastes have stood up to last 4.5 ish years and the last 3 months events/discoveries. B = tea - 800 mls combo of h/m and shop almond milk in tea - .2 rise - why? Fun procedure, shops, 2 nibbles of cheese and a CW(Arla soya) C as lunch. 1 hr dog walk. Evening = 2 slices skinny bread toast and 3 eggs scrambled with some Arla stuffage + dribble of almond milk with tommy k then CCB. 4.5 before eating. Definitely LC and mainly fine by me for taste - still can't love coffee but by 13.00 hrs even that seemed attractive (lc version of beer goggles I reckon) Good day for Omega 3, Biotin and Silenium. Can't help thinking I may be just as well eating Patagonian Warble flies. Happy Apple Day UK.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Breakfast half a toasted chaffle with one slice bacon and one egg
Lunch racing around so missed it - ocado had major power outage and cancelled my late am delivery mid am so had to race to real supermarket before afternoon of caring duties
Dinner Cajun chicken with salad followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with cream and yoghurt
Just had two squares of absolut black with mug decaff coffee and cream.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb -- Hugs for the fall.
@PenguinMum -- So sorry to hear about your eye injection. It does sound very uncomfortable. Do you have any more to go?
@annabell1 -- The meal with your family sounds absolutely delicious. Love Middle Eastern food, so would have been hard for me to resist too. So, back on the wagon, you'll do great!

Missed posting for a couple of days. Had way too much food yesterday (about 1100 cals more than I burned), and while still less than 25g of carbs, paid for it with the highest fasting blood sugars in a long time.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Three very small homemade low-carb brownie squares (about 3 cm on each side.)

Dinner: Ox cheeks (@Brunneria -- must have had the same thought simultaneously) baked in a sauce of celeriac, carrot, leeks, spring onions with red wine, beef broth and tomato paste. Cauli rice with onion and eggplant. Spiced red cabbage (with erythritol, vinegar, red wine, anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice). Two more small squares of brownies. Two glasses of red wine.

Now off to exercise for an hour on the elliptical trainer to make up for the damage done yesterday.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb -- Hugs for the fall.
@PenguinMum -- So sorry to hear about your eye injection. It does sound very uncomfortable. Do you have any more to go?
@annabell1 -- The meal with your family sounds absolutely delicious. Love Middle Eastern food, so would have been hard for me to resist too. So, back on the wagon, you'll do great!

Missed posting for a couple of days. Had way too much food yesterday (about 1100 cals more than I burned), and while still less than 25g of carbs, paid for it with the highest fasting blood sugars in a long time.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Three very small homemade low-carb brownie squares (about 3 cMaybem on each side.)

Dinner: Ox cheeks (@Brunneria -- must have had the same thought simultaneously) baked in a sauce of celeriac, carrot, leeks, spring onions with red wine, beef broth and tomato paste. Cauli rice with onion and eggplant. Spiced red cabbage (with erythritol, vinegar, red wine, anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice). Two more small squares of brownies. Two glasses of red wine.

Now off to exercise for an hour on the elliptical trainer to make up for the damage done yesterday.
Zounds my good lady a couple of elements I quite like the sound of- sans erythritol. The Ox cheek and red cabbage duo sound doable to me but I must consult the food fairy before any meaningful vote. Maybe an hour Nordic walking for an oldie like me rather than an eliptical - enjoy.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over crispy duck and cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon at a local coffee shop: Jaffa Quake Carb Killa bar and coffee with cream.
Dinner: gammon steak, fried egg and leafy salad followed by chaffle with extra thick cream and SF maple syrup.
I have been quietly taking on all the talk of Chaffles on the forum lately and remembered today that I had a sandwich toaster at the back of the cupboard from my student days that had waffle plates which I had never used, they’ve been used now! :hungry:
This is the recipe I used:
https://hangrywoman.com/low-carb-keto-waffles/
025BD746-CDAA-4C83-96A7-0CA678D04E82.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 egg cheese omelette CWC
L: Chicken rillette and about 30g Emmental with lc seedy crackers. CWC and 2 HC 100% drops ( v proud of myself stopping at 2)
D: Steak, halloumi chips and salad with olive oil. Followed by a couple of slices Dr Almond stollen. This is absolutely nothing like stollen but quite pleasant nonetheless. It’s like a spiced tea bread. Good with a cuppa.
IMG_1222.jpg

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zounds my good lady a couple of elements I quite like the sound of- sans erythritol. The Ox cheek and red cabbage duo sound doable to me but I must consult the food fairy before any meaningful vote. Maybe an hour Nordic walking for an oldie like me rather than an eliptical - enjoy.

Any kind of sweetener should do, you don't need much anyway. The red cabbage and ox cheek are quite easy to do, just need some time -- one hour on the stove for the red cabbage and three hours in the oven for the ox cheeks.

Let us know how it turns out if you (or rather your food fairy) decide to give it a try.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ziggy_w can also do red cabbage in the oven. Probably take about same time as the oxcheek.
@ianpspurs like the sound of your roasted mushrooms, cauliflower and cherry tomatoes. Totally agree with you about boulangere celariac. Can just about hack it mashed with potatoes. Which is kind of pointless.
@annabell1 that bread roll looks superb.
@Annb hope you recover quickly from your fall. It's always a knock to your confidence when something like that happens. No wonder you wanted comfort food.
21-10-19
Breakfast avocado, 2 scrambled eggs and small slice seeded toast. Coffee with cream
Lunch bowl of soup. Ham and cheese
Dinner chicken vegetables. Raspberries and cream. One large and then a half glass of wine.
Nothing else as having BG test tomorrow

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't sleep and now worrying that this will affect HbA1c test tomorrow. Actually now later today. :wideyed:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any kind of sweetener should do, you don't need much anyway. The red cabbage and ox cheek are quite easy to do, just need some time -- one hour on the stove for the red cabbage and three hours in the oven for the ox cheeks.

Let us know how it turns out if you (or rather your food fairy) decide to give it a try.
My good lady does cook Ox cheek and red cabbage but we have never quite used that combination of other ingredients. We use an IP type device (Ox cheek) and a dutch oven? gizmo (red cabbage). Red cabbage used to have onion and apple pre LC and doesn't really work as well without even with the "christmassy" spices. Anise/star anise might do some good. Will let you know.
@SlimLizzy hug for worry and sleep problem. All should go well and there are some real experts on this forum to offer tweaks to deal with whatever numbers come back high or low. Best wishes.

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Can't sleep and now worrying that this will affect HbA1c test tomorrow. Actually now later today. :wideyed:
Hope you managed to get some sleep.
I'm having trouble with sleeping my doctor suggested I buy some melatonin slow release to try

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
You can do it Annabell! Ignore the slip ups, don’t dwell and just move on.
Your rilled roll looks fab. My last batch of those were an unappetising purple/ lilac colour as I’d bought a new bag of psilliym husk powder, a different brand. Now I can’t remember what my original brand was.
I've heard that some psyllium husk can do that. Luckily never had a purple buns... pyslium husks is easy to get here in Australia this time I've been using the Bonvit brand i bought from Coles I think its a product of India. But sometimes I found the rolls do need to be cooked longer then the recipe states sometimes.
And thank you for support I spoke to my GP today to discuss the craving of sweets he was going to refer me to a dietitian but I said no they will be totally against me doing this WOE so he suggested I see a nutritionist that he believes will support my choices.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Yesterday breakfast 2 x pork sausages and 1/2 a slice of my homemade pumpkin bread with butter and black coffee.

Lunch cheese and crackers and coffee
Dinner left over tandoori chicken with tzatziki sweet potato and eggplant pickles..then I lost it and had chocolate

Breakfast today 10:30am a DD bread roll with 1 sausage some butter and tomato sauce with a black coffee. As I was rash ou ng to get ready for my 11.30am appointment Then dashed out to visit my GP today for follow up plus also spoke to him about my craving of sweets after eating so he was going to refer me to a dietitian but I said no they will totally be against me doing this WOE so he suggested I see a nutritionist he recommends that he believes will support my choices. We also believe that a combination of my UC and T2D could be causing me to crave certain foods.... I'm so happy with my GP he listens to me and we can talk about things.

When I came home I checked my BSL it was 5.7 mmol/L at 2pm then around 3pm I was hungry I made a salad with lettuce cheese baby tomatoes cucumber sesame seeds, some nuts olive oil and ACV after I ate it I was craving something sweet arrrgh so I checked my BSL it was 4.9mmol/L which is fine but I'm wondering if the drop in my BSL is also causing my sweet cravings. I caved in and ate a few squares of Cadbury chocolates. I think I'm going to ring this nutritionist see if she can help work this out for me and provide some ideas.

It's now 4pm I'm watching some TV but it's so nice outside with beautiful spring weather here and should do some gardening but I'm feeling lazy....

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over crispy duck and cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon at a local coffee shop: Jaffa Quake Carb Killa bar and coffee with cream.
Dinner: gammon steak, fried egg and leafy salad followed by chaffle with extra thick cream and SF maple syrup.
I have been quietly taking on all the talk of Chaffles on the forum lately and remembered today that I had a sandwich toaster at the back of the cupboard from my student days that had waffle plates which I had never used, they’ve been used now! :hungry:
This is the recipe I used:
https://hangrywoman.com/low-carb-keto-waffles/
View attachment 36323
That chaffle looks so good

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday breakfast 2 x pork sausages and 1/2 a slice of my homemade pumpkin bread with butter and black coffee.

Lunch cheese and crackers and coffee
Dinner left over tandoori chicken with tzatziki sweet potato and eggplant pickles..then I lost it and had chocolate

Breakfast today 10:30am a DD bread roll with 1 sausage some butter and tomato sauce with a black coffee. As I was rash ou ng to get ready for my 11.30am appointment Then dashed out to visit my GP today for follow up plus also spoke to him about my craving of sweets after eating so he was going to refer me to a dietitian but I said no they will totally be against me doing this WOE so he suggested I see a nutritionist he recommends that he believes will support my choices. We also believe that a combination of my UC and T2D could be causing me to crave certain foods.... I'm so happy with my GP he listens to me and we can talk about things.

When I came home I checked my BSL it was 5.7 mmol/L at 2pm then around 3pm I was hungry I made a salad with lettuce cheese baby tomatoes cucumber sesame seeds, some nuts olive oil and ACV after I ate it I was craving something sweet arrrgh so I checked my BSL it was 4.9mmol/L which is fine but I'm wondering if the drop in my BSL is also causing my sweet cravings. I caved in and ate a few squares of Cadbury chocolates. I think I'm going to ring this nutritionist see if she can help work this out for me and provide some ideas.

It's now 4pm I'm watching some TV but it's so nice outside with beautiful spring weather here and should do some gardening but I'm feeling lazy....

Hi Annabell I came across this earlier today, it might help explain your cravings and how to deal with them. Can’t guarantee it but it’s worth a shot.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/what-to-do-if-you-fall-off-the-wagon-dr-jen-unwin