What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.

Two meals today. Breakfast was a kind of eggy mess combined with leftover lamb from yesterday. My Dad’s frying pan is somewhat optimistically described as non-stick so what started out as an omelette/fried eggs with lamb just became a scrambled mess. Pretty tasty though.

Dinner was Hotel Chocolat 85% hot chocolate with cocoa whip (have you tried it yet @maglil55 ?) followed by Five Guys bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions. Absolutely stuffed.
Not yet. I keep meaning to find the new HC at the Fort but I haven't spotted it yet. May get a chance when life returns to a more or less normal schedule tomorrow when boys go back to school.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Don't go changing, rearranging, we love ya just the way you are. Good to see you here.
Thanks for the info re Lidl goose '
@ianpspurs. Glad to say we have them in Oxford and love the provenance.............. Hungary. Surely need some Furmint or kekfrancos to go with it

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - Build a kitchen gadget extension!

Saturday 19 October - bed 5.7 FBG 5.9. All shopping in so free to go to Costco with son and the grandchildren. Still trying to get their blankets etc dry as weather still horrible.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing
D. Slice each roast pork leg, ox tongue, piri piri chicken, pork luncheon meat, 4 santini tomatoes, lettuce, 1/2 avocado, helmans and (not cremated) veggie chips.

Sunday 20 October - bed 5.5 FBG 5.7. Son wanted to go for some not bulk shopping so headed to Lidl & Tesco. Finally got all their washing dried and back. I have my eye on a dryer at Lakeland. It's like my Hangaway but with a tubular cover that blows hot air on the washing. They sent me a 20% discount voucher today so I think I'll get it.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice Tesco high protein bread toasted with Philly bread and ham.
L. Nothing.
D. Usual campari and soda. Cooked duck breast with stir fried veg, cauli fried rice and spicy sauce. Warmed DGF brownie with raspberries and cream.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

A bit late posting tonight.

@SlimLizzy -- Great idea to do both in the oven. Will save some electricity too.
@ianpspurs -- Yes, traditionally, we prepare red cabbage with apples too. Pears are an alternative. Unfortunately prepared the traditional way, it is not very low carb.
@Annb -- Congrats on your weight loss and lower HbA1c -- very much deserved.
@shelley262 -- Even if the rub has sugar in it, maybe it isn't very much. Can you find out how much rub they put on it?

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Ox cheek, red cabbage, cauli rice. Two homemade low-carb brownie squares.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and shrimp. Another small brownie square.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Down to final two days of school half term.

Monday 21 October - going out tonight with brother and his wife to our favourite Argentinian restaurant in our town so we walk there. It's their 55th wedding anniversary. Bed 6.2 FBG 5.7.
B. TAG with ADOC and slice of Tesco high protein bread with Philly and ham.
L. Nothing nipped up to M&S to pick up some food to cover the next few days.
D. Out with brother and SIL. campari and soda and 2 large glasses of sauvignon blanc. Started with squid, garlic mayo and a mixed leaf salad. Main 8oz rib eye, cherry tomatoes, portobello mushroom, salad, diane sauce and wilted spinach with garlic. Pinched 2 of Hubby's chips. Finished with an irish coffee - no sugar. Lovely meal and it even felt warmer walking home.

Today - Tuesday. Bed 4.8 FBG 5.7.

Gave the car a good run along the coast with no Ill effects. Still don't trust it though. I guess it will take time. Finally found a stockist nearby for tripe so I took my final bag of tripe out of the freezer to cook for later.
B. TAG with ADOC and a couple of these little M&S breakfast muffins. 2 rollitos.
L. Nothing
D. Tripe done alla romagna with tomato & chilli, soffritto base and some mixed beans. Still got another two portions. IP took care of it in 35 mins.

Got distracted by Bake Off but later had a bit Lemon Drizzle DGF warmed with raspberries and cream.

Off to bed now - back on the school run tomorrow. No 2 quite anxious to get back and add to his Certificate collection!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one slice of livlife toast with one slice of bacon and egg
No lunch as busy - just coffee with cream to keep me going.
Dinner two lamb cutlets with cauliflower cheese and small glass red wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with yoghurt
Off first thing in am to south Yorkshire for a couple of days so will probably be on catchup in a couple of days time!
@ziggy_w you may well be right about the small amount of sugar in the spice rub at the bbq restaurant but I may well go plain to make sure! I just think it’s crazy that they don’t measure it and calculate carb content to help us carb counters out. Must be really really difficult when you are calculating carb content for insulin- very tough when eating out.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Spiffing weather and great day with 2 grandchildren. B=tea not sure how 800 mls tea gives a 1 rise but DP and being at least 3 hrs later may be implicated. L = cocoa/hor choc whatever alias it goes under (Aldi LC cocoa, almond and soy milk + cream) - flat @ 2 hrs. D = roast chicken, celeriac duaphinoise and broccoli. Needed some gravy (not sure how roast chicken becomes lovable without). The roast potatoes + apple pie and custard the others had did look so much more appealing. Impossible not to have a good day with grandchildren so no basis to judge today's food.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over cold gammon with leafy salad and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: tuna melts with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@shelley262 -- It would be so much easier if restaurants stated carb counts. Sometimes, I have asked the waiter for ingredients in soups or sauces, but generally as long as the portion size is small a bit of sugar or starch doesn't have a huge impact on blood sugars for me. Have a wonderful trip to south Yorkshire.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A hamburger patty with cheddar on two portabello mushrooms (instead of buns) with avocado, mayonnaise and low-carb ketchup. Also made a salad of lamb's lettuce, Caesar's dressing and shredded gouda (but only ate a bit of it as it was a bit soggy). One small low-carb brownie square.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack late afternoon: Three babybel cheeses. Half a square of chocolate.

Dinner: 120g of chicken liver pate. Two small brownie squares.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally got around to making chaffles at about 12.30 - used grated cheddar and an egg with some coconut flour. It was OK - not too eggy or too cheesy but a little bit dry - solved that by spreading some butter on top. It was probably the coconut flour that made it dry, absorbing too much of the moisture (I can't use almonds - I'm not exactly allergic but don't tolerate them very well). Worth working on anyway.

Dinner, at 8 pm, was some bacon cut up small and fried off in some butter, then some shredded cabbage added and fried in the mixture of butter and bacon fat. Definitely not very low calorie but low enough carbs, I should think.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Breakfast: after horrible fbg had 1 slice LuvLife toadt butter, tea x2.
Lunch: out had two flat white coffees. Early aft had salad leaves and cheesy coleslaw.
Supper: scrambled 2 eggs with sluce LivLife toast. 6 walnuts. Lots water.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch day, four pots of XXXX Gold goodness, savoury / cheese snack stuff to soak it up.
Dinner: Curried chook, veggies.
Breakfast; Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, twelve assorted heart / blood / misc tablets.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary stuff, water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 meals out for me today.
Just coffee for breakfast.
Lunch was a bunless burger with cheese and salad. More coffee.
Dinner for a birthday celebration crab and cod Thermidor - the speciality of this place - absolutely divine! Had salad with it rather than the skinny fries. Soda water to drink. Not much of a bg rise so a good choice on all counts.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mega-busy day today, with dinner around 5pm, as I had our localDUK meeting this evening. Beautiful rib eye with caramelised onions and garlic, salad and there was creamy mash available which I mainly swerved.

Unwinding, this landed in my inbox. Some look like they'd be very straightforward to LCify. Could make for an idea for the Hilda's season?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This was the second morning after adopting the changes suggested by the diabetic nurse on Tuesday and the second morning of a higher than usual FBG. I'll give it a bit longer, but I don't think it's suiting me very well.

Anyway - I am moving my main meal to the lunchtime slot to avoid eating to late in the day - might help the weight loss as well as indigestion. So today I fried 2 venison chops in butter after marinating them in some pickled ginger and some of the vinegar from the jar and some olive oil and a little salt. I also braised some red cabbage - no sugar or sweetener but I did use a little orange juice (didn't have any apple juice). It was pretty good although the cabbage lacked a little something - probably salt which I try not to use if I can help it. BG was still high before I ate but I don't think that meal should have put it up too much.

I might have some nuts or cheese later to get myself used to not eating in the evening.

Halloween baking sessions coming up. Em wants me to make a "Harold" ghost cake which she has seen on UTube, or somesuch. Made the cakes for it yesterday but now have to do butter icing and fondant. Must avoid the butter icing (which I love). Fondant not a problem - I never did like that. I'll finish that off today. Need to make some smaller cakes and cookies as well but will leave those until after this coming weekend.

This Sunday and Monday as well we have a couple of functions coming up - one for children and another for adults. I've been asked to do finger food this time for a change and cupcakes rather than big cakes. Prep for that will have to come before the Halloween stuff. Might make macaroni cheese in pastry cases for children (most kids love macaroni cheese) and spicy veg on rice cakes for adults. Might also do some cheesy bread slices - not sure about that. Have to think it through. But choc cupcakes, lemon cupcakes and mini victoria sponges should be enough sweet stuff.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This was the second morning after adopting the changes suggested by the diabetic nurse on Tuesday and the second morning of a higher than usual FBG. I'll give it a bit longer, but I don't think it's suiting me very well.

Anyway - I am moving my main meal to the lunchtime slot to avoid eating to late in the day - might help the weight loss as well as indigestion. So today I fried 2 venison chops in butter after marinating them in some pickled ginger and some of the vinegar from the jar and some olive oil and a little salt. I also braised some red cabbage - no sugar or sweetener but I did use a little orange juice (didn't have any apple juice). It was pretty good although the cabbage lacked a little something - probably salt which I try not to use if I can help it. BG was still high before I ate but I don't think that meal should have put it up too much.

I might have some nuts or cheese later to get myself used to not eating in the evening.

Halloween baking sessions coming up. Em wants me to make a "Harold" ghost cake which she has seen on UTube, or somesuch. Made the cakes for it yesterday but now have to do butter icing and fondant. Must avoid the butter icing (which I love). Fondant not a problem - I never did like that. I'll finish that off today. Need to make some smaller cakes and cookies as well but will leave those until after this coming weekend.

This Sunday and Monday as well we have a couple of functions coming up - one for children and another for adults. I've been asked to do finger food this time for a change and cupcakes rather than big cakes. Prep for that will have to come before the Halloween stuff. Might make macaroni cheese in pastry cases for children (most kids love macaroni cheese) and spicy veg on rice cakes for adults. Might also do some cheesy bread slices - not sure about that. Have to think it through. But choc cupcakes, lemon cupcakes and mini victoria sponges should be enough sweet stuff.
The like is for the community spirit of the baking for the events. Hug for the outcome of following the advice of DN. Huge sympathy for your frustration at the outcomes of all the efforts you are making.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The like is for the community spirit of the baking for the events. Hug for the outcome of following the advice of DN. Huge sympathy for your frustration at the outcomes of all the efforts you are making.

Thanks for that Ian. Even though I can't eat what I bake, I still enjoy doing it. I have always baked and then enjoyed others enjoying the product rather than eaten it myself. Same with other cooking. As far as I am aware, I have 3 talents: cooking, baking and making a fool of myself. If people enjoy my food, or if they laugh at me rather than at someone else - I've had a good day.:happy:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that Ian. Even though I can't eat what I bake, I still enjoy doing it. I have always baked and then enjoyed others enjoying the product rather than eaten it myself. Same with other cooking. As far as I am aware, I have 3 talents: cooking, baking and making a fool of myself. If people enjoy my food, or if they laugh at me rather than at someone else - I've had a good day.:happy:

Dear goodness! I sounded pompous there. Sorry about that.