What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BSL in morning is between 4.8 or 6.1 these days but I do believe it is spiking then dropping quickly due to what I have been eating. I know what I do but keep doing it so yesterdays breakfast ricotta/cream cheese ketto waffles and butter maple syrup with black coffee. I need to found something to replace the maple syrup as it spikes the BSL any suggestions as I can't do the sugar free syrups due to side effects.

I went up the road as Woolworth's have almond flour and coconut oil on special so brought some supplies. stone fruit are now coming onto the markets here and they are my absolute weakness I brought some nectarines at the same time in my head saying not to buy them but temptation is to much I absolutely enjoy stone fruits but how do you avoid them. dinner had left overs from dinner two days ago of rump kebabs salad warped in a small Lebanese bread wrap with avocado and garlic dressing I was full but still manged to eat nectarines
Raspberries? Or any berries with a dash of cream? I was going to suggest Lakanto Monk Fruit LC maple syrup but then noticed you can't. Lakanto is on sale in Australia now as I recommended it to my SIL.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now to try to catch up! Wednesday 13 November bed 5.3 FBG 6.3. Still trying to reorganise but boys are staying on Friday so I turned my attention to changing their beds etc. Drama day so will be picking them up at the sane time.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. LC bread cheese and ham toastie. This microwave gadget from Lakeland is getting well used.
D. A leftover mish mash. The remains of yesterday's prawns, smoked trout, 1/2 avocado, lettuce, tomato, boiled egg, helmans, bit of M&S Cornish Cove with balsamic onion.
Warmed DGF salted caramel blondie with raspberries and a dash of cream.

Thursday 14 November bed 5.2 FBG 5.8. Off to Aqua and I left Hubby busy making lentil soup for the boys for later.

B. TAG with ADOC. Slice of toasted LC bread with Dairylea.
L. Nothing at Aqua.
D. Lentil soup! What else. I'll get a surge but we'll see.

@ianpspurs - your location for holiday sounds perfect and I'm seriously impressed at the effort on exercise. Don't know if you know the chosen one is now your manager and I see Piers Morgan is keen on getting Pochettino to Arsenal @Goonergal. @shelley262 & @DJC3 let me know what you get on the HC cream liqueur. @Goonergal - glad to have almost caught back up. I need to try not to get this far behind again.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - I love my coffee with cream too but I don't mind it just black if I'm out and cream is not available. Friday 15 November bed 4.8 FBG 5.8. Surprisingly the lentil soup didn't do anything much to me.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Boys wanted lentil soup so I had more too. They were staying the night so (against my better judgement) I took them both swimming. No 2 was bombarded with rules and threatened within an inch of his life but, being in the pool with him I soon discovered he's been at it with breast stroke and crawl - he can swim unaided. Cat is out of the bag now.
D. Lentil soup again followed by DGF Millionaire shortbread.

Boys actually went off to bed quite peacefully. All quiet by 8.15pm which let me get an online shop done.

Saturday 16 November - had the usual morning breakfast chaos but they behaved quite well. Later No 2 got into Nutcracker, the four realms - he announced he'd like to live in Candy World. That was until the end when he changed his mind as "That Suger Plum Fairy is just mean". In other news No 1 lost another tooth so another Fairy had to visit him with £1 which seems to be the going rate. Bed 5.9 FBG 4.6 despite the soup yesterday although it rose to 8.3 for a short while this morning.

B. TAG with ADOC.
L. After I got the boys home late morning another LC ham and cheese toastie. Got the online shop away then nipped out to buy the missing stuff.
D. Reverted to cold cuts. Slice each of pork, ham, haslet and turkey, 1/2 avocado and tomato and veggie chips.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday 17 November - Enjoyed my lie in this morning until 9.30am! Bed 5.2 FBG 5.3. Usual swimming day so was able to inform the instructors his little lordship was at it. He still sinks at backstroke but the front strokes he was off like a little rocket.
B. TAG with ADOC and a slice of toasted LC Bread with Dairylea.
L. Nothing at the swimming lessons and running back and forward to the gym with their Mum & Dad since Dad/son has been convinced to get fit.
D. Decided to feed Hubby on the delicious Iceland red shrimp with tomato and chilli. Added to it, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, oomi noodles spinach and a dash of cream. Usual campari and soda and a DGF salted caramel blondie with cream and raspberries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday & Tuesday were almost identical food wise. Both were extremely cold days and required defrosting of the car both mornings before school pick up. Had to get the boots, woolly hat and gloves out too.
Monday 18 November bed 5.5 FBG 6.3.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Post Aqua a LC cheese and ham toastie.
D. Got a small dish out of Sainsburys with scallops and prawns in a white wine sauce. Added more of the mini scallops , topped it with grated cheese and had it with veggie chips. DGF lemon drizzle warmed with raspberries.

Tuesday 19 November - even colder than yesterday. Bed 4.6 FBG 4.8.
Boys enjoying all the frost. No 2's Certificate collection now stands at 44! Busy morning. I have a birthday coming up and since Hubby is always lost when it comes to presents I suggested for combined birthday/Christmas I'd really appreciate new glasses. He jumped at it! Result since I have varifocals but he knows how steep they are as he has them too. So off to specsavers , 2 pairs picked and ordered to be delivered 3 December. My prescription had changed as I thought but no diabetic changes.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Another LC toastie but with cheese and mortadella and another TAG with ADOC when we got back from Specsavers.
D. The other scallop and prawn thing with veggie chips and 5 bits of squid. LC salted caramel blondie with cream and raspberries.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have looked at that, but not with real intent at the moment.

Urvashi Pitre, the lady behind "Two Sleevers" has done a review here: https://twosleevers.com/ninja-foodi-review-pressure-cooker-and-air-fryer-combo/ The reason I have linked to urvashi's page is she is a fabulous foodie and recipe writer, but she is also a real IP fan, so I would suggest when she compares, she has a clue about both products.

As I understand it, the Ninja is squatter, so lower, but wide than the IP offerings. That is good for some things, but less so for outhers.

Looking at the cost, and considering you already have an air fryer you are used to, I might be inclined to go for the IP and stick with your AF for now. You'd have all that functionality and have parted with a fraction of the cash.

Of course, that may not be ultra helpful, in terms of your storage issues.

As I said before Black Friday is almost with us. if you use camelcamelcamel it'll track prices and send you alerts if any of your Amazon wish lists. Mine is old, but it give you an idea of what it could do.

View attachment 36827

Thanks. Helpful review and sounds like it might be overkill for me. Thanks for the reminder about camelcamelcamel too. Have put the IP mini on watch. The slow cooker people want to charge me almost half the cost of the whole unit for a new lid. Not paying that - it’s under warranty so they ought to send a replacement. Let’s see what Friday brings - can’t be without a slow cooking device for too long.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Helpful review and sounds like it might be overkill for me. Thanks for the reminder about camelcamelcamel too. Have put the IP mini on watch. The slow cooker people want to charge me almost half the cost of the whole unit for a new lid. Not paying that - it’s under warranty so they ought to send a replacement. Let’s see what Friday brings - can’t be without a slow cooking device for too long.

Black Friday is the 29th this year, so a week from Friday. I'll keep my ear peeled (if that's even a saying), and let you know if I hear anything.

Do you perchance use Chrome as a browser? If you do there is a Chrome add-in called Camelizer, which, when in Amazon (or other camelcamelcamel appropriate site) allows you to click an icon and see the product pricing trends, like this:

upload_2019-11-20_17-21-18.png

That's clever.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had breakfast today at 11 o'clock - I was too hungry to wait so I toasted 2 little peanut butter waffles and had them with butter.
Lunch - none
Dinner will be some braised lamb and celeriac mash - both from the freezer and defrosting just now (forgot to take it out earlier) so it will be a while before I can have it. Making do with tea in the interim.
Finally got the ovens for recycling (the "condemned" one and a little Baby Belling that our searches turned up - the only things we could salvage from it were some knobs and a baking tray) out of the hallway. No 2 son intended to pick them up for me yesterday, but didn't manage it so Neil has loaded them into the back of his car and will dump them tomorrow when we go shopping. Now I just have to get him to put the old microwave/oven back in the loft - probably take about a year unless he gets fed up with it being in his way when he works on the back porch - if he gets back to that job. See, as well as being so helpful to me, he even provides me with something to complain about. An angel in disguise, I say, an angel.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D. Decided to feed Hubby on the delicious Iceland red shrimp with tomato and chilli. Added to it, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, oomi noodles spinach and a dash of cream. Usual campari and soda and a DGF salted caramel blondie with cream and raspberries.

Ah I’m glad you posted this! I bought some of the red shrimp thing from Iceland as I remember you saying how good it was, but I forgot what you said you did to jazz it up. You’re right they are jumbo shrimps.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of favourites today.

Lunch was bacon eggs and cheese at the cafe near work.

Dinner was ribeye steak (a particularly nice one) with a fried egg followed by 30g Lindt 90%

@ianpspurs - Don't know if you know the chosen one is now your manager and I see Piers Morgan is keen on getting Pochettino to Arsenal

Yet another reason to dislike the Special One. And can you sack ‘celebrity’ ‘fans’?

Black Friday is the 29th this year, so a week from Friday. I'll keep my ear peeled (if that's even a saying), and let you know if I hear anything.

Do you perchance use Chrome as a browser? If you do there is a Chrome add-in called Camelizer, which, when in Amazon (or other camelcamelcamel appropriate site) allows you to click an icon and see the product pricing trends

99% of the time I’m on Safari on my iPad. Have put the mini IP, and a couple of the milk frothers on watch.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD today apart from CWC first thing, as I was out and about most of the day it was fairly easy.
Had a black coffee late morning in a beach cafe @maglil55 I’m finding it easier to have black when I’m out too.
Lasagne for dinner, made a new recipe for the pasta I found on one of the keto Facebook groups - it’s a chaffle batter one, very simple and saves the faff of rolling out.
IMG_1342.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday: Tea, 67 mins exercise bike (odd 7 mins as I forgot to start fitbit); B = CWC; Champagne and freshly squeezed orange juice (eventually turned into bucks fizz); mushroom and cheese omelette, cherry toms, green leaves, OO, 2 slices emmental, 2 slices smoked turkey, chia and linseeds, lemon tea. L= water (sunbathing by the pool) Mid afternoon = swimming, sauna/cold shower/sauna/cold shower then back to room for cup of tea: Eve: Pea and feta mousse; leafy salad, h/b egg, gherkins, beef salad - chia and linseeds; steak and halloumi chips - special offer of steak as alternative to unsuitable menu and first time hotel had made halloumi chips; steak was really tender and medium was exactly that for once; small pieces of 3 or 4 cheeses, few walnut pieces and 4 hazelnuts; ½ glass red wine.
@maglil55 unfortunately, I did know we had given Poch the old Spanish Archer and hired the well past his sell by date Portugeezer. Mocking texts from Chav season ticket holders and lots on t'internet. @Goonergal wouldn't want Poch and I have always said he would never be a winner.

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 20/11/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge and 108g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 170g butter lettuce, 52g cucumber, 100g ham, 25g light tasty cheese (it's only 25% reduced fat), and mustard
Dinner: 190g cold chicken breast, 280g cauliflower, 180g green beans, 10g full fat cheese (the crumbles of the remainder of a block).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: bone broth and small hot choc
L: tescos delivery just arrived, so ate 3 veg crisp thingies that Mr B had ordered, and a trial Carb Killa strawberry protein shake (a night time snack research project). It was bearable. For an emergency ;)
D: chicken skewers with garlic and peri peri, stirred with a blob of mayo to prevent them for drying out. Also halloumi fries.

one day to go til i have a week off work. Counting the hours... :D:D:D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over tuna melts followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon spur of the moment visit to Costa with daughter: thinking I wouldn’t be able to eat anything as she tucked into a chocolate twisty pastry thingy, I was delighted to find they sell Carb Killas now, so I had a cappuccino (4.3g carbs according to their website) with a birthday cake Carb Killa.
Dinner: mushroom, tomatoes and mature cheddar omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

3337BABD-AB12-4959-8FF7-7D3161514F29.jpeg