What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Out about 10am to get rid of the recycling load and then to shops. Wasn't sure I could go - felt very nauseous when I got up but 2 cups of weak black tea made me feel better.

Lunch at 1pm - 4 small LC waffles with butter and some more tea. FBG was higher than I wanted (8.8) and by the time I had the waffles it was 12.5. Insulin and Metformin with the waffles have brought it down to 10.5. Still too high, but reduced by 2, which is something.

Dinner will be chicken with lemon and turmeric sauce - out of the freezer again. I am trying to make space for the meat I want to order for Christmas - I would prefer to leave it until the last possible day, but can't guarantee that the butcher can co-operate so I'll order it early and get it as close to Christmas as I can and put it in the freezer.

The plan is for roast beef but I also want to experiment with a low carb version of beef wellington, so I'll need some fillet as well. I also want to experiment with curing pork, so that's another chunk of meat I will need.

DIL is in the process of setting up a laundry business but the ordered shed/workshop has somehow got lost somewhere on the Isle of Skye, although nobody knows why it went there in the first place, so all the equipment is set up in the dining room of their little house to process the business she already has. Which means, of course, no table for Christmas, so they'll come to me, maybe bringing their own turkey, ready cooked, and all the trimmings. It'll save me doing carb rich foods anyway - I'll offer to do all the veg.

Em tells me that next year they are going to rear their own turkey so I warned her not to get too fond of it. She says she will have to think of a name for it though. I suggested "Dinner" to keep reminding them that that is what it is for. Bad Granny!:)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds very good what liquid do you use? Is it in the fresh meat aisle?
Hi I fried celery hearts in some butter with a few courgettes added then quickly sealed the game and added chicken stock and juniper berries and celery salt put in slow cooker went out to care for eldest all day and came back to delicious meal. I do Waitrose online as it’s free delivery and about 20 miles to our nearest Waitrose. it is fresh meat in their three for 10 quid offer. ( offer is meat and fish I often get sea bass that way and Cajun chicken breasts!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I fried celery hearts in some butter with a few courgettes added then quickly sealed the game and added chicken stock and juniper berries and celery salt put in slow cooker went out to care for eldest all day and came back to delicious meal. I do Waitrose online as it’s free delivery and about 20 miles to our nearest Waitrose. it is fresh meat in their three for 10 quid offer. ( offer is meat and fish I often get sea bass that way and Cajun chicken breasts!

Sounds delicious, and lovely to come home to that rich smell after being out all day.
Daughter’s partner has just started work at Waitrose so I’ll ask her to get some ( added bonus when her probationary 3 months are over she gets a 15% discount staff card, and another 15% card for a friend or family - she’s nominated me bless her!)

Reactions: ziggy_w

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Annb had to laugh at your suggested name for Turkey. Reminded me of similar incident with baby rabbits - and my offering of Pudding, Pie, and Pasty. Not at all well received at the time.

21-11-19
BG on rising 5.7 pre
Breakfast. CWC. 2x nut granola. I need 2 portions to get enough calories. Tea
CWC
Lunch: made the remains of chicken casserole into soup. Tiny amount of bread. Half an Apple. tea.
Tea
Dinner: made chilli. Found open pack of air dried ham in the fridge. Ofc had to have a piece. Chilli was ok used chickpeas instead of kidney beans. Served with real rice and French beans. BG before meal 5.4 hour later 8.4. Two hours 5.9
Tea and wine. More wine . Last of the chocolate. Later slice of cheese and cup of tea.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday: Last full day. Awful fbg of 6. Tea and 50 mins weights (fitbit tells me >7 hrs sleep and 60% @ peak HR on exercise so balances fbg for me); Breakfast: My recipe hot chocolate delivered by manager (20 gms highest % choc and 240 gms soy milk) beautiful fanned avocado also delivered personally, smoked salmon, 2 poached eggs, mushrooms, CWC. Bg was 4.8 @ 3.30 today then I left the reservation totally. 3 scoops of Mövenpick Ice cream - Strawberry, Vanilla dream and vanilla bourbon - my end of chemo treat (6.8 @ 2 hrs so not too bad); Eve: Leafy salad and octopus salad with chia and linseeds; + radish and asparagus - restrained start; then small helpings of coq au vin, cod provencal, tournedos Rossini, moules mariniere and leg of lamb with cauliflower and artichoke gratin and some more asparagus, very small piece blue cheese and a few pieces of walnut + 3 hazelnuts, 1/2 glass red wine to finish the bottle started last night. That lot was 5 at 2 hrs - where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: tuna melts followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coconut chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold bbq chicken drumsticks, cauliflower and broccoli, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 22/11/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge without yoghurt
Lunch: 200g iceberg lettuce, 120g tuna in springwater, 60 cucumber, 20g light tasty cheese, mustard
Dinner: With family, 160g lamb leg roast, no fat eaten. 50g cauliflower, 40g green beans, 40g broccoli, 5g dijon mustard.
Desert: 80g full fat greek yoghurt, keto compliant square of coconut raspberry slice

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Curried beef and veggies.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks Black coffee / tea no sugary stuff, water.

Gunna marinate a couple of pieces of fresh brisket to cook for some cold meat today.
Dwe01us.gif

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea, but not enough fluid during the day - too busy doing very little - Neil found some old papers for me to sort out and that took some time. FBG was 8.8 and next time I tested - just before 5pm it was 12.4. I had expected it to be higher since I'd had nothing and, therefore, no insulin or Metformin. Also forgot to take my other pills and only remembered when I took my meal out of the oven. Took insulin and some of my blood pressure pills then and one Metformin after eating.

About 5pm I had a couple of pork belly slices with cabbage. I roasted the slices above some shredded cabbage and some butter. Unfortunately I was so wrapped up in the paperwork that I forgot that it was in the oven. The belly slices were actually very good, but the cabbage was rather crispy (not really edible).

Spent some time with Em starting to make her home-made gift for the Secret Santa they are having at Christmas. She has decided to make a small, heart shaped cushion and, in the process, learn to sew. We had to hunt amongst my fabric scraps first and got as far as cutting it out before Dad arrived to take her home. There's plenty of time yet.

Then it was on to making a veg "hash" which is a request for tomorrow's pot luck supper along with some butternut squash soup which I already had in the freezer and about 36 cupcakes - still to put toppings on tomorrow morning before I go out.

Neil also found some glass and crockery I'd forgotten about, in the loft and brought it down to be sorted and washed before disposing of it again. Most of it went into the dish washer and is now drying, but there's another whole load and some stoneware which I don't think can go into the machine. What with all that and the washing up from the baking, the poor old machine is getting quite a hammering.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy- sorry you had such an awful day. I very much agree with @Annb but I work on the principle of never order something you could make better yourself. It seems to work. Fortunately, my most favourite restaurant has never given me a bad meal. @DJC3 - have you been watching Junior Bake Off? For their age some of these kids were amazing. I was delighted with the result tonight in the final..
Back to Wednesday. Bed 4.2 FBG 4.4.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Slice toasted LC bread with Dairylea.
D. Bit of a mish mash again. Prawns, smoked trout, chopped avocado and tomatoes, little bit of pate, lettuce and helmans. DGF lemon drizzle with raspberries and cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 - I'm with you on the M&S cafe. There is absolutely nothing edible for low carbers. You used to be able to get a salad but that vanished too. We were in on Tuesday but left again when we saw nothing had changed. @Annb - I have so enjoyed reading the tale of the ovens and microwaves. Also the turkey naming. We need something to raise a smile these days.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whoops! Hit the send button too early so onto food which should have been in last post.
Thursday 21 November - bed 5.9 FBG 6.3.
B. TAG with ADOC and a slice of toasted LC bread with Philadelphia.
L. Off to Aqua so Nothing. Had to pick up a few bits and bobs as the boys had decreed macaroni and "bits" for their dinner. Today's "bits" were broccoli, mushroom and peas. Bit of a rush to get it made before school pick up but I made it.
D. After feeding the boys and getting them home I decided to use a Skinny Bread pizza mix as I bought a couple from my diet shop. Very low in carbs but I'll reserve judgement until I make the next one. A curious mix. Goodness knows what they are using as a raising agent but it puffs up a lot! As someone who likes a thin base this turned out way too thick for me. Observation, it lacks salt. So, next time I will add salt to the mix and spend a lot more time thinning the base. May leave it to prove for a while and knock back maybe? It tastes a bit like Skinny Bread. Toppings, tomato, ham, mushroom and cheese.
Bit of DGF Millionaire shortbread. 6 raspberries.

@Brunneria - Happy holidays! I know how joyful the thought of a lie in is. Only 4 weeks to school holidays for me. I am seriously behind though. Need to get Christmas Cards done (bought first), I don't have a single present bought (although this year I mostly know what I'm buying. Will make a start today since Hubby is off to football (1st game with new manager).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally, yesterday - bed 6.2 FBG 7 (although that was a bit of a miracle after yesterday's food). School half day and boys had decided after last week's trip to my gym for swimming, they wanted to go again. Busy morning, boys to school, straight to physio, back to 30 mins at home, pick up boys, make said boys lunch, pack bags and off to swimming. A bit more fraught this week trying to make sure No. 2 didn't drown himself as well as stopping No 1 trying to drown No2!
B. TAG with ADOC. No time for anything else.
L. Nothing.
D. Feeling a bit suicidal after a fraught swimming session and a drive along the coast in the dark and wet to pick up DIL, I decided to join Hubby in a Chinese. Tried to keep it simple but failed.
He'd got a sharing platter. Ribs were fine as the sauce was separate. Chicken wings required the removal of the crunchy batter. Dipping sauce was way too sweet but needed some for the dryer elements. Then came the fall from grace, 2 mini spring rolls, 3 tiny wontons and 3 quarters of prawn toast. I thought I'd got away with it as I hit 5.8 40 mins later. No such luck! Hit 11.3 before crashing back. I won't do that again in a hurry hence my surprise at my bed and FBG figures.

Time to start thinking about Christmas dinner too. I've been pleased to see the amount of use of celeriac on Masterchef and spotted a new one - fondant celeriac. Will certainly give that a go before Christmas. Sitting trying to decide on Sunday dinner then I spotted tournedos rossini (thanks @@ianpspurs). Been a long time since I made that. Will have to ditch the crouton on mine but otherwise it's damage free.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday’s food was
breakfast, slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch, none but a chocolate biscuit and cup of tea efore hospital.
Supper, 2 giant cod fish fingers only. G&ST.

Horrible fbg today more down to stress before and during eye injection and release of adrenilin after.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@SlimLizzy- sorry you had such an awful day. I very much agree with @Annb but I work on the principle of never order something you could make better yourself. It seems to work. Fortunately, my most favourite restaurant has never given me a bad meal. @DJC3 - have you been watching Junior Bake Off? For their age some of these kids were amazing. I was delighted with the result tonight in the final..
Back to Wednesday. Bed 4.2 FBG 4.4.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Slice toasted LC bread with Dairylea.
D. Bit of a mish mash again. Prawns, smoked trout, chopped avocado and tomatoes, little bit of pate, lettuce and helmans. DGF lemon drizzle with raspberries and cream.

I don't eat out very often but when I do, I rarely have a "bad"meal (except the last time when I was invited to eat out in Stornoway) but usually meals are mediocre and disappointing. Trouble is, these are all local restaurants so maybe I should be thinking about somewhere swish - nothing like that here. I think I must be a miserable old trout - for years people have been "afraid" to invite me for a meal in their homes because I have a reputation of being a good cook (undeserved) when in fact I am just fussy about flavours and ingredients.

This morning FBG was 8.8 despite a slightly higher than usual overnight dose of insulin to deal with BG of 11.8. So far I have had only 3 cups of tea - the last one because I remembered that I hadn't taken my pills again. I don't want to eat until a short time before I go out to give me a chance of getting through the evening with a reasonable BG. But, of course, because I have been cooking/cake decorating I have had to take little tastes to get the flavours right and that has put my BG up to 17.6. Ouch!

When I do eat (about 3.30) it will be pan fried duck breast with stir fried peppers, tomatoes and garlic.

When I do get to the butchers I will ask them about game. I've never cooked or eaten anything more adventurous than venison (except ostrich once) and usually stick to beef, lamb, pork or chicken (but NOT turkey, which I dislike, mostly because I can only get the rubbish turkey meat sold in supermarkets) but I am keen to try new tastes and this forum has given me an idea that I might enjoy game, if I can get it.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just enjoying reading the BBC sport website about The Special One's triumphal debut:banghead: Last snack here and next meal courtesy of BA - then compare the standard of breakfast @ the Gatwick Hilton to here. Saturday: Tea,water and 33 mins exercise bike (higher wattage today) then breakfast: CWC; Mushroom, cheese, bacon and tomato omelette - World renowned German omelette chef back from harvesting his olives - 2 small English breakfast sausages and 2 rashers back bacon. Next meal will hopefully be mid air with BA - maybe some gratis champagne (although we have paid) ; Around 4.00: Beetroot and goat’s cheese salad with pine nuts and basil (oh my that was good) + CWC (checking football) - happy clappy chappy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update: Sitting in BA lounge at Pathos. Paul Hollywood behind me at check in again and stalked me to this lounge. I ticked no paps box and he still follows me. Shouldn't he be baking or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: Sitting in BA lounge at Pathos. Paul Hollywood behind me at check in again and stalked me to this lounge. I ticked no paps box and he still follows me. Shouldn't he be baking or something?
Go on, ask him on behalf of all of us Can we please have a low carb challenge in the next Bake Off?

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go on, ask him on behalf of all of us Can we please have a low carb challenge in the next Bake Off?
I also loved Junior Bake Off..they all impressed me and were a lovely bunch...in the end I think it was between Finn and Eliza, both brilliant, but glad of the result. I didnt watch the last series of the adult version because the challenges for me were too “off the wall”.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3