What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm going to explode. It was a gloomy, grey day in Scarborough and we won't be going there out of season again but today has shown me that my husband understands my way of eating and will go out of his way to support it. So, today:

Breakfast: Proper kippers with poached eggs and a Lidl Protein Roll
Exercise: Racing up and down the beach with dogs and throwing balls in to the sea for them.
Lunch: Costa Massimo decaff Americano with pouring cream
Exercise: 90 minutes walking around Scarborough - and some of their little cobbled alleyways and lanes are almost vertical.
Snack: Polystyrene tray of prawns at the sea front
Dinner: (This where my husband proved himself) - we couldn't find anywhere suitable for me, so rather than ask me to compromise (which I would have), he said he would prefer to go to Morrison's and buy a couple of their extra thick ribeye steaks. I had my 320g(!) Ribeye with a sprinkle of gorgonzola and asparagus and mangetout stir fried in garlic butter.

Plus loads of Prosecco and a couple of those Brandy truffles I made a couple of days ago. We've also got some Morrison's chicken and chorizo skewers for supper - if I ever feel like eating again.

Total for the day was 34g carbs and probably more than 3,000 calories BUT 2 hrs after eating dinner and my BG is only 4.8

Sorry to go on - bit tiddly

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook your husband is a keeper! :D

(And we may be off to Scarborough, with dogs, sometime in January. I LOVE seaside towns out of season. Best way to see them!)

Reactions: 4 people

scottie909

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rap,reggie,heavy metal
B, 2 slices of Bergan toasted with 1/2 banana on each, 1 cup lady grey tea
M.T 2 belvita and cup of lemon and ginger tea
L. 4 slices salami, 4 nairn oatcakes, 4 cherry toms, 5 green olives 1 satsuma and 100gr natural yogurt, cup of lady grey tea
D. 1 med rare ribeye, mixed salad, 1 med baked potato, dash of light salad cream, 250 diet lemonade
S. 250ml warm milk
still working trial and error but will get there in the end

Reactions: 3 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes
L: None
D: Quorn chilli, 1 dessert sp brown rice, cheese and sour cream, strawberries and cream

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook your husband is a keeper! :D

(And we may be off to Scarborough, with dogs, sometime in January. I LOVE seaside towns out of season. Best way to see them!)

I like seaside towns out of season, too, but Scarborough's interesting little shops seemed to be mostly shut for the winter leaving just a couple of normal high street shops and pound shops, penny arcades and loads of charity shops. Whitby, about 15 miles up the coast, is still lovely all year round, I'm not really sure why Mr C chose Scarborough!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today:

Breakfast: Kippers (again) poached egg, half lidl protein roll.
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Lidl spatchcock chicken, fennel, courgette, red pepper and red onion all roasted in olive oil, wilted spinach
Supper: Morrison's Pork Belly Bites (they've got Christmas-y spices on them I think)

Tomorrow will be problematic as we are visiting the outlaw who doesn't understand carbs or diabetes. And why should she, she's 85 with her own health issues. I think I will be taking my own food with me.

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
B: Lemon ricotta cake with blueberries and cream
L: nothing - was too busy blowing up balloons for end of term Christmas party!
D: out for staff 'do'. Salmon with mashed potato (!), spinach and cream mushroom sauce; cheese for dessert.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black Coffee. More Black Coffee.
Smoked Duck, 4 eggs & some butter.

Sanste

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
New to this!!!
B:Single weetabix with semi skimmed milk
L:Liver in onion gravy from the works canteen
D: Bowl of scouse but left the potatoes followed by 2 water biscuits with cheese

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
New to this!!!
D: Bowl of scouse but left the potatoes followed by 2 water biscuits with cheese
That seems like very little!

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
New to this!!!
Good start, but no need for semi milk...take the full cream. Welcome & enjoy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
s: 2 milk choc digestives (just testing my Freestyle Libre, you understand ;) ) shocking result. Won't do that again!
L: leftover chicken curry with creamed, spiced cauli rice. :hungry:
D: roast chicken leg, green beans and courgettes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi MelitusTrap, portion size is still a very grey area for me and I am struggling to discover the correct amount.
Not criticising at all
I'm impressed
I wouldn't be able to eat so little for a sustained amount of time.
I was told that one only needs a few morsels of food a day to keep their back straight.

But I'm not there yet!

Last edited by a moderator:

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: yoghurt with nuts and raisins
L: lemon muffin :oops:
D: 2 97% pork sausages and 2 eggs.
S: half an apple

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yesterday:
Breakfast: Nowt, just Tetley Redbush tea with vanilla
Mid-morning: in middle of FOUR HOUR traffic jam on M62 - one Elderflower Riccola and one Liquorice Riccola
1pm (at the Outlaw's): lidl protein roll with cream cheese, some lettuce, some cucumber and some ham
5.30pm - decided to go straight home instead of stopping off for a Toby Carvery like we normally do (big mistake)
8pm: in midst of FOUR AND A HALF HOUR traffic jam going the other way on the M62 - one Elderflower Riccola and one Liquorice Riccola
10pm - very tired and beyond hungry - just had 2 fried eggs and 4 bacon and a very large G'n'T before falling in to bed with massive headache.
BG up in the late 8s (not good for me)

Today: BG in the 7s so skipped brekkie and lunch as really not at all hungry. Just thirsty and wondering if it was the eight and a half hours of traffic jam boredom that's making me feel rubbish or whether I'm coming down with something. However, after a snuggly day in front of a log fire watching some good (pre-recorded) TV and drinking lots of water and Tetley Redbush tea with vanilla, I managed:
Early Dinner: A sort of cassoulet I threw together which was really nice: Chicken thighs (skinned and boned), some 'good' sausages, some chopped red onion, chopped celery, fennel and a couple of carrots. A tin of napolina chopped tomatoes, tin of cannellini beans, diced smoked bacon, big glass red wine, lots of garlic, a little red chilli. Cooked on very low for 5 hours and served with lemony spring greens. Just what I needed.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream and a delicious breakfast omelette (egg, sausage, tom, black pudding, new potatoes, mushroom and bacon)
L: not needed
D: moussaka, minus potatoes.

Blood glucose has been great all day. :D

Reactions: 8 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B: coffeencream and a delicious breakfast omelette (egg, sausage, tom, black pudding, new potatoes, mushroom and bacon)
L: not needed
D: moussaka, minus potatoes.

Blood glucose has been great all day. :D

Well done!!! Mine is now finally 5.3 but it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride over the last 24-36 hours.:mad:

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. 2 small slices toast & marmite

L. Huge bowl home made veggie soup with chickpeas & slice bread

S. Mug of tea

D. 1 jacket potato, with butter, 1 not thick, ribeye steak with lots of garlic cooked in coconut oil, pointy cabbage, cooked & tossed in butter.