What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Evening all. Short answer is tea. I have had 64.5 years to eat anyway and given the opinion polls and the mendacious charlatan likely to be running things it seems only right to get used to what others will have to endure just for his aggrandisement. @Chook I sprinkle the chia seeds and linseeds over the salad before adding the leaves and mixing. I/we don't add on top of leaves as they just go everywhere.

I'd really have like to give you informative and hug - but can't give two. I'm assuming that the fasting wasn't planned or intentional. I don't know about linseeds... but i quite like the idea of chia seeds on a salad.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook Normal microwaves if you set it for full power for 5 min, will go full power for like 20 seconds, then no power and just leave the food spinning for 20 seconds then full power again for 20 seconds. Sometimes you can actually hear it if you listen closely. Basically they fake the power levels. An inverter microwave actually allows you to cook at your chosen power level for a set period of time, so 60% power for ten minutes is actually 60% power for ten minutes. This reduces cold spots in food, heats evenly and more efficiently. I zapped savory mince at 70% power for 10 minutes stiring twice and it was hot, near boiling when finished. I zap my porridge at 60% power. It really quite efficient and works really well. https://www.techlicious.com/review/microwave-ovens-with-inverter-technology-really-cook/

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low energy today - felt a bit like my reserve motor/ accelerator wasn’t there! - but lots of stuff to do so determinedly ate some food to try and get my energy back - takes a while but paracetamol helps!
Breakfast ish boiled egg
Dinner salmon with cauliflower cheese, followed by sf jelly and yoghurt
Feel a bit brighter this evening so hoping on the way back up.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd really have like to give you informative and hug - but can't give two. I'm assuming that the fasting wasn't planned or intentional. I don't know about linseeds... but i quite like the idea of chia seeds on a salad.
Fasting intentional - Ember Day. If I'm honest probably enjoyed it at least as much as many days when I eat. Not sure I'll do Friday and Saturday though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: gouda and chorizo rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
I have forgotten to mention that since Dec 1st, after dinner I have been eating the contents of my 100% Hotel Chocolat calendar :hungry::)

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Biltong and beer, that was the last of the biltong.
Dinner: Steak, salad.
Breakfast: Omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

Just put our online shop through at Woolies, cashed in $140.00 worth of "Reward" points that we saved up during the year. It cut our shopping bill way back.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
11-12-18
Disturbed night. Up from 3 til about 4.45
Breakfast. Before 6 am. Coffee. Chunks of cheese.
Then back to bed. Slept until 8 30.
More coffee.
Lunch. 1 slice of Toast, cheese, pâtè and salad. Tea.
Afternoon was busy in the kitchen, repotting pickled walnuts into nicer jars than the assortment of jam and mayonnaise jars available at the time. Later doing the same with Cider Apple jelly. Stupidly forgot what I was doing and scraped out the pan, about two teaspoons full. Realised too late, ate another chunk of cheese, hoping it would mitigate the effects. Took reading about an hour later, tbinking dinber imminent BG 6.8.
Then dinner was late. 25 mins so took reading again
5.1 that's a fast drop.
Dinner bouillabaisse. One slice pain kapnor. Greek yoghurt and six frozen strawberries. Several glasses of pink fizz. Went to my head a bit. Decided I needed more food. So cooked cauliflower rice with butter, turmeric, smoked paprika, and onion seeds. Seemed to do the trick.
Two hours BG 5 7
The homemade presents are stacking up nicely.
Now have jars of pickled walnuts and Cider Apple Jelly all ready for labelling and packing up as presents. Also some Cider Apple Chutney. Still need to make a couple of batches of nut granola, one for me, two to give away- Well what do you give to newly converted vegans?
Am also hoping to make some parsley honey. Also for the vegans.
Am a bit incensed that restaurants are falling over themselves catering for vegans, but not diabetics.
Low Carb is rarely an option anywhere.
Anyway missed the time for tea, will have to be water now.

Edited for typo

Can anyone explain how to post photos from phone?

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy I agree about the abundance of veggi/ vegan options now but no choice for us diabetics. The coffee shops here are the same, all the cool new independent ones have about 20 different types of non dairy ‘milk’ but very rarely cream or even full fat milk. Very frustrating.
Are you using the app on your phone? If so tap the little + on the left of where you are writing your post then 4 little icons appear above the keyboard. Choose the one that looks like mountains and it’ll take you to your photo gallery. Tap the photo you want. I usually then get the choice of ‘best’ or ‘optimised’ I use optimised. If you’re not using the app I’m sorry I’ve no idea.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@SlimLizzy I agree about the abundance of veggi/ vegan options now but no choice for us diabetics. The coffee shops here are the same, all the cool new independent ones have about 20 different types of non dairy ‘milk’ but very rarely cream or even full fat milk. Very frustrating.
Are you using the app on your phone? If so tap the little + on the left of where you are writing your post then 4 little icons appear above the keyboard. Choose the one that looks like mountains and it’ll take you to your photo gallery. Tap the photo you want. I usually then get the choice of ‘best’ or ‘optimised’ I use optimised. If you’re not using the app I’m sorry I’ve no idea.
@DJC3 Hi, took your advice and downloaded the app. It wants me to login. Have checked password but it wont let me in. Any suggestions?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Here is the collapsed shed.
20191211_110345.jpeg

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 12/12/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge and 90g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 86g iceberg lettuce, 27g full fat cheese
Dinner: 270g cauliflower, 170 green beans, 3 egg 4 egg white omelette, 100g of good deli "ham off the bone" which seems to be only available around Christmas time in Australia.
@SlimLizzy oh wow now that's a picture, hope a new shed can be built, and nothing was damaged in the collapse of the old one.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Hi, took your advice and downloaded the app. It wants me to login. Have checked password but it wont let me in. Any suggestions?

Lizzy, rather than clog this fab thread with login issues, could you drop a quick note to [email protected] where you'll be helped on a 1:1 basis.

On thing I will say now though, is, please be aware all passwords are case sensitive, so please check you don't have an errant capital or such like, in your password in, say, the App.

In the meantime, please close all instances of the site you have open (so browser and App), and try again, just for luck!

If you are trying to upload a picture from your browser to the forum, when you are creating your post, in the browser, you will find a button underneath saying "Upload a File"
upload_2019-12-12_10-51-0.png
if you click on that, then "Choose file, you will find an option below, "Photo Library", and there you go. That's Apple, but I bet Android will be very similar.

If you do need to contact forum@ please include in your note if your phone is Apple, or Android based.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@DJC3 and @SlimLizzy - I agree about the veggie/vegan food being easily available nowadays but, my goodness, its always got huge amounts of carbs. Since I turned veggie we've virtually had to give up eating out - veggie and keto is very difficult. Good job I like cheese. I'm dreading if I ever need to go in to hospital!

Good news for us about my MIL. She's had something called Double Dementia since last summer and has had some dreadful accidents one of which involved having to have the gas supply cut off to her cooker after nearly setting the house on fire and been found wandering and falling over in the next village to where she lives. She obviously can't take care of herself but ALWAYS bursts in to tears if anyone mentions about moving in to sheltered accommodation. Anyway, last week her doctor thought she had pneumonia - she got taken in to hospital and we (her kids) were all told that she would never be able to take care of herself again. So she's going in to a home - and, because of her time in hospital, she's loving the idea. A huge relief to all of us.

Arghhh - so far this morning I've taken in four parcels for my neighbours being delivered by various courier type companies. And then the Post Office van showed up and asked if I'd take in a parcel for a neighbour... which turned out to be another five because all my neighbours are out at work. So thats nine altogether and one of them sounds like broken glass. :rolleyes: The best bit... none of them were for me or Mr C!!

Food and BG for yesterday...

Tuesday bed: 5.7

Wednesday FBG: 6.8
Breakfast: 3 egg cheese omelette I used those smoked cheese slices from Asda - not only did it taste :hungover: it wasn't until after that I noticed its quite carby (as cheese goes)
2 hours after: 7.6

Lunch: 5.6
Advent calendar cheese
2 hours after: 5.3

Dinner: 5.1
Half cheddar/half mozzarella chaffle, 2 eggs and (big mistake) half a can of baked beans - no I don't know why I did it either! Next time go with the quarter can I've tried before.
2 hours later: 7.2

Bed: 6.8

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook menu sounds good and bgs responding fine. I assume good news about MIL however tinged with sadness. As for avocado and seeds, the image is my basic daily salad with the seeds mixed in (just visible round the edge?) - key ingredients are the vinaigrette and avocado besides usual salad. I do like celery (fen celery in Dec only) and fennel. No scale but that is a family pasta dish - stored on cron-ometer as basic daily salad. Usually has tinned mackerel in olive oil so sadly not vegan or veggie - pescatarian and lovable though - it is my comfort zone and basically, with tea, how I stick to (endure?) this woe.
upload_2019-12-12_12-57-58.png

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook menu sounds good and bgs responding fine. I assume good news about MIL. Image is my basic daily salad with the seeds mixed in - key ingredients are the vinaigrette and avocado besides usual salad. I do like celery (fen celery in Dec only) and fennel. No scale but that is a family pasta dish - stored on cron-ometer as basic daily salad. Usually has tinned mackerel in olive oil so sadly not vegan or veggie - pescatarian and loveable though
View attachment 37151

No need to worry about you going hungry!! I hope that's not the same size as my big eight big servings pasta bowl. I like fennel, too - not so keen on celery. Is celery different in December? We are going to Morrison's tomorrow to get avocados and, if possible, some of @Brunneria 's recommended mincemeat (or is it mincepie) cheese. Your picture has made me feel hungry which is strange because since getting back in to keto i haven't felt hungry at all.

Yes, its very good news about my MIL. Since the near fire incident we have been dreading what might happen next and no matter what she says she really can't take care of herself, especially her personal hygiene.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to worry about you going hungry!! I hope that's not the same size as my big eight big servings pasta bowl. I like fennel, too - not so keen on celery. Is celery different in December? We are going to Morrison's tomorrow to get avocados and, if possible, some of @Brunneria 's recommended mincemeat (or is it mincepie) cheese. Your picture has made me feel hungry which is strange because since getting back in to keto i haven't felt hungry at all.

Yes, its very good news about my MIL. Since the near fire incident we have been dreading what might happen next and no matter what she says she really can't take care of herself, especially her personal hygiene.
Pretty sure bowl is 8 serving size! Fen celery is said to be grown in a specific area and only available from October to December http://www.fenlandcelery.com/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook
In our local Morrisons the Mince Pie cheese is in a stand alone chiller cabinet, with packaged sliced ham, pork pies, samosas and lots of pre-cut clingfilm wrapped cheese wedges. The cabinet is just after the fresh veg section and just before the bakery section. I thought it was worth mentioning in case you spend ages looking for it in the main dairy section which is at the far end of the store!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook
In our local Morrisons the Mince Pie cheese is in a stand alone chiller cabinet, with packaged sliced ham, pork pies, samosas and lots of pre-cut clingfilm wrapped cheese wedges. The cabinet is just after the fresh veg section and just before the bakery section. I thought it was worth mentioning in case you spend ages looking for it in the main dairy section which is at the far end of the store!

Brilliant - thanks. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pretty sure bowl is 8 serving size! Fen celery is said to be grown in a specific area and only available from October to December http://www.fenlandcelery.com/

Definitely not available up here in not so sunny Yorkshire. :grumpy:

I've just added loads of salad items to my Asda order to be delivered tomorrow. Ordered marinated tofu (quite nice), cashew nuts and falafels to go with it.