What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
17-01-2020
Breakfast nut granola, 2xx CWC, confit chicken livers.
CWC
Lunch: avocado cheese and tomato salad. The tomatoes were baby plums and I had four quartered to make them go further.
Tea.
Mid afternoon Someone opened the packet of digestive biscuits. Had successfully resisted them for about three months. Maybe four. Or more. But once the packet is opened... different story. Was hoping Andy the builder would take them home. Did offer them, perhaps he thought I wasn't serious? MrSlim doesn't like digestives, so that leaves two thirds of the packet for me.
Dinner late again , both of us working while we have the weather and the light.
RICE, did try the half and half with cauliflower rice.m. Half a cup uncooked rice to one cup cauliflower rice. We had it with Mushrooms, chicken, red and green peppers.
For some reason when I cook freestyle always end up with three portions. So ofc that were seconds. Perhaps that was too much. I was still hungry though.
Before meal BG 5.8
One hour 8.4
Two hours 6.4
Three hours 5.5
Obviously need to practice portion control.
However did not have the planned yoghurt and fruit.
Although there was alcohol.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still running a bit behind. @DJC3 - I did notice Dennis's mishap in the scan. So glad he's OK. I'm also told by all my Australian relatives that you have rain. I dearly hope it's sufficient to douse the fires. Wednesday 15 January - bed 5.6 FBG was also 5.6. Today's DD schedule is due to be OMAD which works fine as, after the school run, I have to take Hubby to pick up his specs and do a little bit of shopping after. It made the OMAD so much easier.
B. Just TAG
L. Nothing
D. Was this cheesy meatball thing with salad and slaw. I was hungry by this time so I slipped in a fine milled oatcake with the last bit of pate on it. It seems what DD are doing with this plan is mixing it up a bit. Last week was the too much food but very low carb. This week 3 days are OMAD. Anyway, the cheesy meatball thing is rather nice too. One I'll have again.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-oven-baked-meatballs-with-cauliflower-slaw
DD-659-MeatLoafMuffins.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like pasta , a lot
So did I but I preferred risotto. My sister, who was married to an Italian, spent 6 months of the year in Italy until she passed away. As a result I spent a lot of time in Italy too living in with the Italians. The taste with the pasta is in the sauce so I looked for substitutes for the pasta. My favourite is oomi noodles but as I'm UK based I appreciate you probably won't be able to get them. I surprised myself the other week though making zoodles from zucchini- I actually enjoyed it! We all have to find our own path and you do think gee it would be great just to eat what I want but it depends on your choices. There's things I'd love to eat but knowing it would put my BGs through the roof is enough for me to shrug and forget it. Risotto by the way I now make with cauliflower.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Quinn1066 - I see @Goonergal has answered. Just wanted to add that when I got my meter I tested a lot to see what different foods did. I was lucky though, I had an obliging GP that let me have loads of strips on the NHS. Now I test before and after if I try something new.
Just waiting for more test strips to arrive in the post, ordered 100. But I know what my lunch does to me, and what my set breakfast does to me, and what lentils do to me. I can handle all of those without any bad rises, and I lost half a kg this week, so I am very happy with those results. Just dealing with a cut on my foot today, frustrated I can't go for my walk.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Bit under the weather yesterday so bed extra early and no time to post.

@maglil55 the air fried beef was top rump. Recently acquired meat thermometer is great for avoiding over cooking.
@shelley262 have fun with Cooper
@DJC3 the butter burgers you mentioned the other day sound fab - had a look on the DD site
@Brunneria the mutt pamper party sounds fab, can picture the scene!

Yesterday’s food was breakfast of 2 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and some grated cheese. Dinner was carnivore pizza. Made using a different pork rind base - usually use Awfully Posh, but a friend sent me a range of crackling for my birthday so experimented with another one ground up with mozzarella and cream cheese for the base. Result was crispier. Topped with pepperoni and Polish sausage.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Bit under the weather yesterday so bed extra early and no time to post.

@maglil55 the air fried beef was top rump. Recently acquired meat thermometer is great for avoiding over cooking.
@shelley262 have fun with Cooper
@DJC3 the butter burgers you mentioned the other day sound fab - had a look on the DD site
@Brunneria the mutt pamper party sounds fab, can picture the scene!

Yesterday’s food was breakfast of 2 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and some grated cheese. Dinner was carnivore pizza. Made using a different pork rind base - usually use Awfully Posh, but a friend sent me a range of crackling for my birthday so experimented with another one ground up with mozzarella and cream cheese for the base. Result was crispier. Topped with pepperoni and Polish sausage.

You’d love the butter burger. Who knew that a slice of butter on a burger would make it so delicious?
Your mozzarella/crackling/ cream cheese pizza base sounds good.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 18/01/2020
Breakfast 50g rolled oats, cooked in water with a dash of soy milky lite. 70g blueberries, 170g non fat yoghurt, 13g protein peanut butter. Two white coffee coffees with 40ml 2% milk, two black coffees.

Lunch: Two white corn tortillas, 50g sauerkraut, 25g spicy hummus, 35g reduced fat cheese, mustard, 137g tomato, 125 green capsicum. hot sauce. Usual lemon, ginger, peppermint tea.

Dinner: 2xl eggs fried with no oil, four falafel bites, 328g zuchini, 119g raw carrot, homemade curry mustard dipping sauce. Another cup of peppermint, lemon, ginger tea.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’d love the butter burger. Who knew that a slice of butter on a burger would make it so delicious?
Your mozzarella/crackling/ cream cheese pizza base sounds good.

It’s yummy. About 65\70g grated mozzarella, 25g cream cheese, melt together in microwave. Blitz a small bag (40g) pork crackling in mini chopper. Mix together thoroughly - looks remarkably like dough. Bake (I use the base of a metal quiche dish that has holes in it) in a high oven for about 10 mins. Remove, add toppings, bake again. Simple, quick, delicious.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s yummy. About 65\70g grated mozzarella, 25g cream cheese, melt together in microwave. Blitz a small bag (40g) pork crackling in mini chopper. Mix together thoroughly - looks remarkably like dough. Bake (I use the base of a metal quiche dish that has holes in it) in a high oven for about 10 mins. Remove, add toppings, bake again. Simple, quick, delicious.

Would it fit in your AF? Almost anything I've done in there has been very, very good indeed.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it fit in your AF? Almost anything I've done in there has been very, very good indeed.

Yes, the smaller one I have does. I tried it once and the base cooked well, but the meat toppings dried out - perhaps should have reduced the temperature for the toppings. Will experiment as it’s fiddly in the oven - base on top of upturned quiche tin, direct on shelf with a baking tray below. Getting the pizza in and out is a delicate business!

Reactions: DJC3

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I'm still running a bit behind. @DJC3 - I did notice Dennis's mishap in the scan. So glad he's OK. I'm also told by all my Australian relatives that you have rain. I dearly hope it's sufficient to douse the fires. Wednesday 15 January - bed 5.6 FBG was also 5.6. Today's DD schedule is due to be OMAD which works fine as, after the school run, I have to take Hubby to pick up his specs and do a little bit of shopping after. It made the OMAD so much easier.
B. Just TAG
L. Nothing
D. Was this cheesy meatball thing with salad and slaw. I was hungry by this time so I slipped in a fine milled oatcake with the last bit of pate on it. It seems what DD are doing with this plan is mixing it up a bit. Last week was the too much food but very low carb. This week 3 days are OMAD. Anyway, the cheesy meatball thing is rather nice too. One I'll have again.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-oven-baked-meatballs-with-cauliflower-slawView attachment 37900
Looks good but looks like recipe sadly not available unless your a member

Reactions: Chook

NitinHP

After a lapse yesterday, which I am happy to say was somewhat controlled and limited

I can still read the small print on the side of a small can

I am eating a 2 egg omelette with a slice of ham, onion, cheese with a little added salt, a cup of coffee with a drop of full fat milk (soon to be double cream)

I drank a pint of water immediately on waking and had my tablespoon of greek yoghurt with a few blueberries

I will follow this with a vitamin supplement

The sun is out, I feel strong, life is good

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Had bad insomnia plus hip pain kept me up as well but finally dosed off around 4am this morning so had a good sleep in and woke up this afternoon around 1.00 pm.

BSL 5.6 mmol/L was surprisingly ok considering time I tested.

Brunch greek yoghurt with 2 strawberries and a black coffee

Dinner chicken and vegetables soup and slice of watermelon.

I'm still snacking and had Some kettle chips and dark liquor cherry chocolate by aldi. Hopefully I can get out of this habit.
IMG_20200118_182347_084.jpeg

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had bad insomnia plus hip pain kept me up as well but finally dosed off around 4am this morning so had a good sleep in and woke up this afternoon around 1.00 pm.

BSL 5.6 mmol/L was surprisingly ok considering time I tested.

Brunch greek yoghurt with 2 strawberries and a black coffee

Dinner chicken and vegetables soup and slice of watermelon.

I'm still snacking and had Some kettle chips and dark liquor cherry chocolate by aldi. Hopefully I can get out of this habit. View attachment 37907
Hope you get a better sleep tomorrow, insomnia is so annoying.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh thats sounds good and easy, only thing is I dont like mozzarella, wouldgrated cheddar work do you think?

Reactions: Chook

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had a 3 course lunch at Cotes which 2 hours after I was pleased enough to be 7.3. Didnt eat supper though nibbled a few Rollitos (cigarette type cheese covered in ham) with a couple of gin & water (am now happy to make my gin a long drink with fizzy water which I am happier about). Todays fbg was 6.3 which made me feel punished for my lunch. It was pear, goats cheese & endive salad (very tiny amounts of pear and goats cheese though not sure what was in the dressing. Main was chicken breast with bacon in Bordalese sauce, swerved the potato slices on the plate. I dont usually have dessert but it was their rich chocolate pot with creme fraiche which is egg cup size and really good (had it before). I didnt eat the creme fraiche. Water to drink. It was such a lovely meet up with a very old friend so I dont regret any of it. Just think BG can be very mean at times!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday late afternoon I had 34 units of insulin then 3 small slices of cold, cooked lamb shoulder - about 10 mm thick by 60 mm long by 30 mm wide. A bit fatty as all lamb shoulder is but not too fatty. Wasn't particularly hungry but thought I'd better have something. Finally got BG to drop to 6.5 by evening. Didn't feel hungry at all, not even this morning and managed to finish making the soup (very green with leeks, spinach, celeriac, onion, broccoli and cauliflower with butter, cream and coconut milk) for this evening's event in Stornoway and the cake (chocolate with a cream frosting) without wanting to eat it. Son No 2 just came in with the post and to prevent any slip-ups I sent him away with the remaining cream and frosting - he intends to make a lemon cheesecake tomorrow and that will come in handy for the topping.

So far today I haven't eaten anything - just had 3 cups of tea but before I go out again I'd better eat something so I had put the remaining 3 sausages and 2 slices of black pudding in the oven for a lunch. Trouble is, No 2 son stayed chatting for a while and I forgot to get them out of the oven until after he had gone. I now have some very black black pudding and some very dark brown sausages! I'm not sure that they are edible, although I know some people like to use charcoal in their food. Might just have a milky drink instead.

The children's class yesterday evening was a bit fraught. One of the boys (about 10 years old) has very challenging behaviour - his mother doesn't think there's anything wrong with that - and ended up in the gym wrestling with other boys. It was only play until one of them got hurt. Even then he wouldn't stop and had to be dragged off and then proceeded to do the same again, admittedly with a larger boy, but this is one fierce little tiger! It was impossible to drag them apart - one of the other adults had taken another child out of the gym to get water and the remaining adult was a bit ineffectual, and I was trying to stand upright using my stick - so I just had to use my most commanding voice and order him to stop. Amazingly he did and then complained "you're just like the lifeguard at the swimming pool". Obviously he has been in trouble elsewhere as well. The kids were all pretty high by then so they were persuaded to use their energy to play basketball for about 15 minutes and then I closed the session down. I did intend to close it down after the wrestling but was persuaded by the other adults to let them play a game. Not sure that it was good for discipline, but arguing adults would have been a bad message to give out, so I gave in.

Now, let's see what charred sausage is like.

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb that soup sounds amazing. My current favourite to make is shallot, leek and brocolli. It can be a bit carby because it isnt thickened so use less liquid before blitzing. I dont mind spending some carbs on it because it is a bowl of goodness and deliciousness. Sorry about your burnt lunch, have done it many a time. There was a Swedish chef on Saturday Kitchen this morning who made a very odd meal around a leek badly burnt with ash and cream infused with ash, fish roe and air dried reindeer crumbs. He was a very entertaining man!