What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh thats sounds good and easy, only thing is I dont like mozzarella, wouldgrated cheddar work do you think?

Definitely. I’ve used it before, and also a mozzarella/cheddar mix - the key is binding and the cream cheese/blitzed pork crackling does that. Guess an egg would too, but I like the consistency of the ‘dough’ using this method. It’s much crisper than anything I ever achieved using ground almonds for more classic fathead dough.

Editing to say that I add extra grated cheese just prior to adding the other toppings!

And yes, that Cote chocolate pot is good, if a little sweet. I once got talked into their chocolate mousse - waitress convinced me it was ‘bitter’. Only for those not on keto, methinks! Didn’t stop me eating it though:D

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely. I’ve used it before, and also a mozzarella/cheddar mix - the key is binding and the cream cheese/blitzed pork crackling does that. Guess an egg would too, but I like the consistency of the ‘dough’ using this method. It’s much crisper than anything I ever achieved using ground almonds for more classic fathead dough.

Editing to say that I add extra grated cheese just prior to adding the other toppings!

And yes, that Cote chocolate pot is good, if a little sweet. I once got talked into their chocolate mousse - waitress convinced me it was ‘bitter’. Only for those not on keto, methinks! Didn’t stop me eating it though:D
Thanks for that, will be giving that a go when I get my numbers improved because I will be having a tomato based topping. Much as I think ground almonds are useful I never fancied the fathead recipe.

Reactions: Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Attempted OMAD today but ravenous by noon so ate a bag of Awfully Posh pork crackling, then a small piece of Red Leicester while I waited for my slow cooked lamb breast with lemon zest and garlic to be ready. That was yummy. Rather a large plateful, which I didn’t manage to finish. May come in handy later :D

4F9D283B-9BFB-40DC-AEAE-341CD1FE2CBA.jpeg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
An interesting day... Bed last night 7.1
FBG this morning: 6.6
B: A green kale and rocket based smoothie a friend persuaded me in to trying. Weirdly very filling but totally disgusting taste
2 hours later: 4.4!!!!!!

L: 4.2 - another green smoothie adding some pomegranate seeds
2 hours later: 4.6

D: Will be quorn roast, combination of roast parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes, cavalo nero, cauliflower and glazed carrots.

Drinks: Black decaff coffee with 'breakfast' (if you can call it that) and lots of water.

The green juice definitely worked but the question is can I cope with the absolutely vile flavour of it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting day... Bed last night 7.1
FBG this morning: 6.6
B: A green kale and rocket based smoothie a friend persuaded me in to trying. Weirdly very filling but totally disgusting taste
2 hours later: 4.4!!!!!!

L: 4.2 - another green smoothie adding some pomegranate seeds
2 hours later: 4.6

D: Will be quorn roast, combination of roast parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes, cavalo nero, cauliflower and glazed carrots.

Drinks: Black decaff coffee with 'breakfast' (if you can call it that) and lots of water.

The green juice definitely worked but the question is can I cope with the absolutely vile flavour of it.

I always found green smoothies (homemade from lc ingredients) were fab for my bg. :D

Reactions: Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo great news re rain in your part of Aussie - long may it continue. In contrast we had unusually dry sunny January day - still very muddy underfoot but at least sun is out. Walked a lot of miles today with cooper who is now crashed out by my side. Hungry day again today.
Breakfast smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with half a toasted chaffle
Lunch veggie soup and one lc cheese scone followed by 100% montezumas choc with orange oil.
Dinner beef curry with cauliflower rice and gin with soda followed by lc lemon cake and yoghurt.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had 35 mm of rain from 9:00 am Friday to 9:00 Saturday, we have had a a lot of rain overnight, 46 mm so far from 9:00 am Sat to 9:00 am Sun.

All of our water tanks are full out at the block, and the run off from the shed roof is now going into the main dam.
Thats great. So happy for you.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

How about Halloumi as a substitute for mozzarella @PenguinMum? The beauty of mozzarella is its "stretchy" texture when it melts. Halloumi isn't as stretchy but I think would work.

NitinHP

I am having another 2 heck 85% sausages (the next batch will be 97%), a few grilled tomatoes and a heap of veg.spinach, cauliflower, carrots and brocolli.

I remembered to add salt and have upped my water intake.

I will no doubt finish the evening off with a table spoon of greek yoghurt and some blueberries and 2 pieces of 85% chocolate and my goto snack, nuts. Am eating them one at a time, until satisfied.

I am managing to eat microwaved frozen spinach (just about), so will add kale to my veg mix.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - you do bring a smile to my face with your stories. The school one I can so relate to. I have been known to use my crutch to "accidentally" trip any seriously misbehaving child but only outside where they get a soft landing. Grandsons say my "scary Nana" voice is usually enough. Thankfully, there's not too many of them but the few there are can be pretty atrocious. @DJC3 - I'm swapping the DD recipes about too. As I said week 1 was too much food so I was removing meals as well as swapping the mince/cabbage ones. I still suffer from cabbagegate!! @Chook. Hope you're feeling better @Goonergal & @annabell1.
Thursday bed 7.8 FBG 7.3 - it had been higher but found out later it was a lurking bug so out with the paracetamol and First Defence. I should have realised with the sore legs. Cancelled Aqua but couldn't cancel the Eye Pavilion! It would have taken about 6 months to get another appointment.
B. TAG with ADOC and the veggie eggs but I made it as an omelette rather than scrambled.
L. Nothing - at the Eye pavilion. Went early and got through the tests quicker than usual and delighted my eyes are stable. Next visit 9 months!
D. DD Chicken provencale. Another change in taste for me. I used to loath olives yet I like them now. I just had this with some steamed green beans.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/veggie-keto-scramble

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-provencale

It's not letting me upload the photos again.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday Bed 5.9 FBG 6.1 and no high surges. Half day at school and the boys want to go swimming. Decided to oblige as it's an OMAD day and being occupied will help. After not allowing me to post the photos on the last post , it's letting me do it now so the eggy thing is yesterday's breakfast. The chicken I had today too as we still had 1/2 a chicken left. So,

B. TAG.
L. Nothing - boys had me in a swimming pool for 2 hrs but it was nice and steamy. They even had 5 mins on the loungers so I could ease my legs in the spa.
D. The DD chicken provencale again but with some salad today.

Today - Saturday bed 5.6 FBG 5.9. Still feeling "off" but shopping calls. I was supposed to have breakfast today but decided to leave it and eat when I got back. Got week 3 planned out - only changed one day and printed the shopping list.
At some point I'll need to repeat a week as I'm a week ahead.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Out shopping but on return I changed the meal again. It was supposed to be an avocado egg Benedict- I did a cold plate with wafer thin chicken, 1/2 avocado, 2 boiled eggs, lettuce, 4 santini tomatoes, coleslaw. It was a kind of Dinch? Too late for lunch but too early to call it dinner.
D. Nothing. I remained full after my dinch. Just water as I'm still a bit yuk.
DD-471-chickentomato2.jpeg
Keto-veggie-scramble-with-parmesan-v.jpeg

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
18-01-2020
Breakfast: 2x CWC, the last of the confit chicken livers. Just warmed through, on their own.
Lunch: Café. Thought to have a tartiflette wrap as this is bacon, onion and cheese . Plus the wrap would possibly be lower carb than bread. Totally forgot the other, main ingredient in tartiflette is potato! So not a good choice at all. Am thinking I might refuse to eat there again as no good choices for me at all.
Dinner. BG 5.6
Bacon, mushrooms, peppers and rice. Almost the same as yesterday, but much tighter control on rice portion. Two tablespoons of rice mixed with equal amount of cauliflower rice. Glass of white wine.
One hour BG 7.4 so far, so good.
One and a half hours 5.8 that's better.
Two hours 5.6 back to where I started .
Bedtime tea.
Busy day, shopping for radiators, furniture shifting, chimney sweeping. Then clear up the inevitable mess. Later problem with fire giving off fumes. MrSlim will be investigating in the morning. Meanwhile we put the fire out. Early bed when it gets cold seems likely.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at my parents: roast lamb, one small roast potato, small portion of peas and carrots and a drop of gravy followed by Oppo vanilla cheesecake with cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: white chocolate phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner in a pub on the drive home: egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, sausage and half a hash brown.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb that soup sounds amazing. My current favourite to make is shallot, leek and brocolli. It can be a bit carby because it isnt thickened so use less liquid before blitzing. I dont mind spending some carbs on it because it is a bowl of goodness and deliciousness. Sorry about your burnt lunch, have done it many a time. There was a Swedish chef on Saturday Kitchen this morning who made a very odd meal around a leek badly burnt with ash and cream infused with ash, fish roe and air dried reindeer crumbs. He was a very entertaining man!

Yes, I saw that. Very entertaining, but I wasn't convinced. It certainly didn't effect my decision to let the sausages burn.

Everyone enjoyed the soup and I came home with an almost empty pot. That's always a good sign. Gave the remaining cake to a friend, who has a guest in her house, to take home. Saves me the task of finding a home for it. Now I just have to get my plastic box back for the next cake.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

No B. Straight out for dog walk. Then LC hot choc when we got back
L: a terrible failure. Fried some diced bacon, added a scatter of onion powder, beaten egg, scrambled them and then sprinkled on some grated cheese. Most unpleasant! Not sure why.
D: nearly didn’t bother, then got ravenous. Lol. So made cheese and ham rollups.

have been monitoring my bg with the libre/miaomiao combo. Very pleased with the steady line over the last few days - and feeling good on it. Always a relief, because when I’m not testing I get a niggling concern that I am missing something... then I pop on a libre and see that (so long as I don’t stray) things trundle on nicely.