1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Either you’d need to start the thread - I can move an entire post, but not just a link - or I’d edit your original post so it just contains the link and move that. Is that what you want?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Must be a small cricket ground... :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sure, first diabetes ignores some 4 correction doses over the afternoon and early evening so I decide to leave out the best but carby parts (spicy cassave krupuk crackers) from my otherwise low-carb dinner:

Pork belly pieces marinated for a day in all kinds of yummy stuff like fresh ginger, turmeric, chilli pepper, onions and garlic, powdered cumin, cloves and cinnamon, plus sweet and salty soy sauce and my favourite variety of Indonesian hot sauce, baked in the oven with the marinade and added to a stir-fried vegetable mix with a little Thai oyster sauce.

To be honest, it tasted fine without the cassave crackers. But I don't see why insulin wants to kick in right now, when I'm already full!

[​IMG]

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    #35303 Antje77, Feb 15, 2020 at 9:44 PM
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  4. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bed 5.2 FBG 4.1. Guess that's what very little food does. I've been drinking plenty water but it was well into the afternoon before real hunger eventually kicked in. @DJC3 - I've often felt full but this is the first time I've just not wanted to eat anything. I only ate what I did because Hubby was complaining about me taking meds without food.
    B. Just TAG. Weather was starting to whip up and son wanted to go to Costco. I had a few bits and pieces to get for tomorrow but I managed to get home during a break in the weather. Water is pretty high in the drains.
    L. Well at about 3.30pm I had some of the leftover Shepherd's Pie. It's actually really nice reheated but I regretted eating it even although I didn't have much. I think it was just too late in the day.
    D. Was scheduled to be the DD steak in a red wine sauce with (believe it or not) cabbage mash!! I couldn't get my head around that so it became a rare fillet, 2 mini beetroots, 4 santini tomatoes and 1/2 avocado. Had a small Skyr later.
    I'm still really full.
    Hope everyone is surviving the storm.
    @Annb - eldest grandson is obsessed with Minecraft. Easiest way to explain it is 'virtual Lego'. They are building (and breaking down) worlds online. Grandson created a virtual WWII world when they were doing this at school. This was where we discovered he'd learnt about remembrance. He created a secret remembrance wall and added all the family members who had died. Currently, he's created a virtual IKEA. Quite amused he'd called it Infinite IKEA - Yup, that's about right. Workers were face less- yup, that's about right too. Stacked to the ceiling - yup. Here's the exit - No, they don't let you escape!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh · Well-Known Member

Today :

Planning for bf bday an valentines. He has booked a secret restaurant

I got his cake . It’s gorgeous!

Breakfast : 2 fried eggs, 1 cucumber , one raw mushroom

Lunch : a savory danish with ham and a cappuccino at the bakery where I got the cake . Pic attached .

My charming creative bf added eyes to the picture of my savory danish !

Dinner : will have prawns and vegetables. Trying to stay low carb so tomorrow can eat the cake.

IMG_4960.jpg IMG_4961.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Yes please Goonergal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Flat and flooded

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That lake of yours looks like our croft did yesterday, except the grass is a bit longer. Wind wasn't too bad, but the rain was pretty bad. Ran off pretty quickly though - that's the best part about it here - drainage is good, due to the slope of the land and ditches.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Winnie-the-Pooh

You are an artist ! How come everyone here is such a great cook? I cannot boil an egg to save my life !

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. Annb

It doesn't always work though. I come from a line of cooks and I think my grandmother (a cook in a big Edwardian house in London) would turn in her grave at some of the things I've produced in the past.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Put egg in pot
    Add water until egg is completely under water
    Put on stove and wait until it starts to boil
    Turn down heat to prevent bubbling over and wait a couple of minutes
    Hold egg under cold tap
    Peel and eat

Have a try, you can do it!

Advanced level egg cooking: Time how long you cooked the egg and remember it for next time so you can cook a bit longer or shorter.
    Alternatively, look the right time up in google or use one of those color-changing eggs to get it right the first time.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Annb

Em seems to be turning the game into an action game which requires running around the house like a mad thing and grabbing books from a bookcase to use as iron or to make "diamond swords" which can be used to fight off monsters and zombies. I assume it can also be used as an educational tool as well, which is good. It certainly seems to spur the imagination!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

The cabbage mash put me off a bit too - I was waiting to see what you made of it first!
    Great fbg by the way.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Winnie-the-Pooh

I love the algorithmic way of teaching me how to do it ! Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  15. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Goonergal - it's worth checking your pot is defaulting to high pressure, not the lower setting if you feel it needs much longer? Being away from home, I can't check out the button sequence or light configure to check it, but either someone here or on the FB page will have the information at their fingertips. (Or Dr Google, or YouTube of course).

Glad you got the tenderness at least though.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DCUKMod

I do hard boiled eggs (my current breakfast, with some salad) in an even more random way.

Take eggs out of refrigerator (in UK, we store them on a countertop, but here, we cool them), out into saucepan, cover with water.

Turn hob heat on, at the highest level, go eat breakfast. When the rumbling (of the eggs boiling in the water), turn heat off, but just leave along - finish breakfast.

Once washing-up is finished, pour now cool water off the eggs and allow to dry.

Mark eggs as cooked (dot of marker on the blunt end), and replace in the fridge. Eat are required, and repeat.

Of course, timings are totally random, but I have never yet had a dark ring around the yolk, which is all I ask for.

Cold hard-boiled egg(s), salad and hot chilli sauce - the breakfast of champions - for now!

• Like Like x 3
  17. DCUKMod

In our culinary adventures this trip, we are going for our usual adventurous choices and sometimes random eating patterns. The other day we were hungry during the afternoon and decided to have a very rare snack, somewhere we hadn't eaten before. MrB had the Thai Jerky with Chilli Dipping Sauce, and I had grilled pork neck with a chilli, lime and garlic dip. Both were stunning.

The lady who served us in this particular place spoke really excellent English, which is very unusual in these parts, having been married to a Brit (who has since passed away, apparently), so we're looking to learn quite a bit from her in terms of all manner of "stuff".

This is the basis of the Thai Jerky (although not the recipe used - we'll work up to that!). It's very, very doable, I'd say, and I'll likely use the dehydrator for the drying part, then spray with oil and AF for the ending.

http://thaicookingschool.org/thai-bbq-classes/pork-one-sun/

The pork neck was probable a bit like this: http://www.followmefoodie.com/2014/...ork-shoulder-with-spicy-dipping-sauce-recipe/

Some of the flavours here are just outstanding, and for sure, I will be cooking with more ginger (which we both love) when home again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Goonergal

Staff Member

It is defaulting to high - the ‘high pressure’ light is the one that comes on! Now that I’m getting used to it, it shouldn’t be a problem as I can just factor the timing into when I set it off.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Goonergal

Staff Member

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  20. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a two meal day. Brunch was three grilled rashers topped with two fried eggs. Supper was small amount of chilli ;(smaller than usual as No 2 son turned up)with cauliflower rice. I did have a few slices of Milano salami with a glass of wine beforehand.
    Today is a day of options depending on whether No 2 son comes back for dinner. Mr PM and I will have brunch before he goes to the football. If I am dining alone tonight I might have some stirfried veg, if son turns up I will roast some chicken breasts with roasties and veg for him, just veg for me. I verymuch lke the COYO strawberry yogurt which is made with coconut milk and 6.6g carbs for the 125g pot. I will try not to buy more than two a week and slot them in on “light” days. They didnt affect me as badly as 10 cal jelly oddly.

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook