What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I have eaten fish and chips today from the chippy so I really don't know what to expect I will test later . Normally my morning test is always under 7 and usually 5.4 or 5.8

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to post yesterday’s food! Oopsie!

So Thursday:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch (at my newly diagnosed type 2 friend’s house, she’s an excellent cook and has dived straight into low carb eating :)): meatballs with a splash of passata and fried creamy garlic leeks followed by LC brownie with cream and a sprinkle of my home made LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: mushroom and strong cheddar omelette with leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Then today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Dinner: cold bbq chicken drumsticks, cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

B: bone broth and bovril, then small lc hc
L: steak
D: pork ribs

ordered 2kg of meaty ribs for delivery (4x500g).
Unfortunately this was lost in translation, and just 4 ribs were delivered. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
So I had them in one meal, IPed then rubbed, then ovened.

normally, I would have batch cooked all the ribs, rubbed them, bagged them in portions, and then frozen, ready to absorb flavours while defrosting, then bop each meal in oven. Oh well, next week. ;)

RoscoeB78

2 Boiled Eggs, Tuna and Lettuce and a handful of Pork Scratchings for breakfast.

Corned Beef Tomato Cucumber Cheese Onion and Egg Salad for Dinner.

Lettuce Tuna Tomoto Wrap with a few Pork Scratchings for supper :)
I'll have a few more Pork Scratchings before bed if I feel like it.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

OMAD today. Worked through to 2.30pm before heading for a late lunch of 3 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and some grated cheese.

Then headed off for a walk down through London Fields and on to the Regent’s Canal at Broadway Market. Collected @Diakat at Haggerston and meandered along to Camden for a Diet Coke at Pret before jumping on the tube and then the train home.

Too late to eat anything else as fasting for a blood draw in the morning.

Hope the water continues to drop and the bridge opens soon @shelley262
Good luck with blood draw and well done with your OMAD and very long walk!

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Had breakfast today as the gang was all still here: scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, avocado. Couple of black coffees.
No food at lunchtime - we were out and the chef’s wife had gone into labour this morning apparently so they were only doing sandwiches, I had coffee with a blob of clotted cream and it kept hunger at bay.
D: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/pork-chops-roasted-cauliflower-parmesan-herb-butter very nice. Butcher told me I’d missed Speedo Mick ( the chap who is walking John o Groats to Landsend in his speedos ) as he’d popped in for a pasty yesterday.
@Quinn1066 glad you enjoyed your steak, I’ll be interested to see how you enjoy the kangaroo.
@Annb hope your journey in the wild and windy went without hitch, your Chicken Olive sounds really tasty.
Funny for the mental image of speedo Mick made me think of Mark spitz the Olympic swimmer from the time of speedos! But if he’s eating pasties he may be not looking at his best in his speedos!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No food at lunchtime - we were out and the chef’s wife had gone into labour this morning apparently so they were only doing sandwiches
Now there's a good reason to only do sandwiches in your restaurant!

Fried a mixture of onion, bell pepper and vegetarian doner/shoarma/kebab (not sure what it's called where you live, it was the Vivera stuff. 20 gr carbs per 100 gram if I remember correctly, and I think I used between 50 and 100 grams). I like it better than the meat variety from the supermarket. Not having a good place to get shoarma, or doner is one of the very few things I miss from not living in the city anymore.
Filled a low carb wrap with it and added the leftover salad from yesterday, smokey sriracha and lots of garlic sauce (mayo, garlic, a little water).
Yum!

And again, yesterdays cutlery in the picture :banghead: Except it looks like there are 2 forks, which means there's 2 days worth of cutlery there, by now joined by todays knife and spoon :bag:.
I'll do the dishes tomorrow, promise!

87174356_10219898836775650_5566792315906818048_o.jpg

Last edited:

mouseee

Hba1c this morning... now just results to wait for

Took my mum out for the afternoon which meant 1.5 hours each way, collapsing a wheel chair, hoisting into and out of the high car boot, wheeling her round for a couple of hours and no decent place to eat low carb!

Ended up with some 'fridge raiders' from the pound shop, low carb but hardly tasty! Slightly soggy chicken bits.

Also, found Parma ham crisps in m&s real ham as crisps! That tastes better but not a snack of choice!

Ended up buying a disastrous fish and chips for the family. Apparently, I got them from the wrong one.... veggie daughter said she couldn't have the chips as they were cooked in same oil as the fish and fussy husband complained they didn't taste as good as his choice of shop. I ate fish with some batter and a tiny handful of chips. Carb headache soon kicked in! 15.4 after dinner. On the positive, this is a headache I fully recognise but don't get on a frequent basis like I did before. So I must be doing something right! 2 hours later it's down to 10.8 so going the right way.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, tomatoes, spudlite.
Lunch: Liquid one at the club, savoury snacks, started with several pots of XXXX Gold, but the line stuffed up and drink ended up drinking Ferrous John which is slightly lower carb than the other one.
Dinner: Pork chops veggies, pan juice gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

We might pick up a new beer fridge next week, I rather like this one from the Good Guys which will hold a couple of cartons of beer.

Gotta get rid of the old one out to the dump first...

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/hisense-230l-top-mount-refrigerator-hr6tff230

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny for the mental image of speedo Mick made me think of Mark spitz the Olympic swimmer from the time of speedos! But if he’s eating pasties he may be not looking at his best in his speedos!

Haha he’s not quite Mark Spitz, but I guess that all those miles in the weather recently has probably earned him a pasty - and the butcher does make great ones. ( distant memory now)
Glad the weather in your area is showing a bit of improvement at last.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been fairly consistently in the 5s and 6s preprandial and 2hrs postprandial recently so I tried a test with two slices of Burgen bread with Spam.

Bad move :banghead:. Went from 5.4 to 8.0 in 2hrs. Another item to cross off the potential foods list :bigtears:.
I agree with @Brunneria. No way I can have 2 slices of shop bought bread but 1 slice I can do. Again I add scrambled egg with a touch of cream and butter on the toast to get some fat into the equation. The only bread I can eat 2 slices of is Skinny bread. That involves making it yourself. I get the mix from mydietshop. It requires kneading and proving but it is seriously low carb.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wanted to make a cheesy crust omelet tonight but this thread moves so quick now I can't find it anymore. Am I remembering correctly the basics is to first melt grated cheese in a frying pan on low heat before adding egg/vegetable mixture?
If so, are you sure the cheese doesn't burn or stick to the pan to never come off again?
I'm behind on the posts so someone may have answered already. The way I do it is to cook whatever I'm putting in the omlette first then I add the cheese to the pan and let it melt. Just watch the heat. You don't want it too fierce or it will burn. Once the cheese melts add the beaten egg(I add some cream). Keep it on a moderate heat until it just starts to set. I already have my grill on and I switch the pan to the grill which nicely puffs up the omlette (it also stops the cheesy crust browning any more). I also have a very good non stick pan.

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm behind on the posts so someone may have answered already. The way I do it is to cook whatever I'm putting in the omlette first then I add the cheese to the pan and let it melt. Just watch the heat. You don't want it too fierce or it will burn. Once the cheese melts add the beaten egg(I add some cream). Keep it on a moderate heat until it just starts to set. I already have my grill on and I switch the pan to the grill which nicely puffs up the omlette (it also stops the cheesy crust browning any more). I also have a very good non stick pan.
Yes, it has been answered (and eaten, yesterday and the day before, loved the crust!) but not as informative as your answer :)
I love my ancient (over 70 years old) gas oven and wouldn't want to swap it for a fancy modern one, but that means I have to do without a grill.
Doesn't matter, the egg turned out very nice!

D

Deleted member 308541

The way I make my omelettes is, crack three eggs into a bowl add a good grind of a pepper medley and chilli mix stirred in. Then I add the shredded cheese and sliced up mushrooms and stir well. Then pour into my $10.00 non stick frypan cook on high on the electric oven.

lxpssEk.jpg

VO3RzFh.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Better add in some food -Wednesday 19 Feb - bed 5.7 FBG 6. This rapidly became a week of OMAD and, remarkably, my BGs held steady despite the lack of breakfast. Since I'm on the same week as @DJC3 the food is mostly the same except it's in a slightly different order. Up to this point I've been busy getting the boys beds changed, cleaned and dusted as they are taking up residence here for a few days while Mum & Dad have a break. Hence the mostly OMAD - Time is in short supply.
B. TAG
L. Nothing
D. The rapidly, becoming famous DD cheese crusted omelette. I added pancetta, mushroom and spinach to mine and had a spoonful of coleslaw, 1/2 avocado with it. @ianpspurs - this is a very versatile omelette. Fillings are easily varied.
Had an early night as invasion of the little people starts tomorrow.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The way I make my omelettes is, crack three eggs into a bowl add a good grind of a pepper medley and chilli mix stirred in. Then I add the shredded cheese and sliced up mushrooms and stir well. Then pour into my $10.00 non stick frypan cook on high on the electric oven.

lxpssEk.jpg

VO3RzFh.jpg
I use the same cheap frypan for steaks, and things that need high heat. Works quite well for a cheapie. cooked the scotch fillet last night without a hitch with a bit of olive oil to help.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The way I make my omelettes is, crack three eggs into a bowl add a good grind of a pepper medley and chilli mix stirred in. Then I add the shredded cheese and sliced up mushrooms and stir well. Then pour into my $10.00 non stick frypan
That's about what I did until I read about the cheesy crust on here. Really worth trying!

D

Deleted member 308541

I use the same cheap frypan for steaks, and things that need high heat. Works quite well for a cheapie. cooked the scotch fillet last night without a hitch with a bit of olive oil to help.
I chuck a splash of olive oil in the omelette mix sometimes.
That's about what I did until I read about the cheesy crust on here. Really worth trying!
I prefer the way mine work out as it is all mixed together so it's still crispy.

Reactions: Antje77