What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favourite for pancake day is the fluffy ricotta pancakes and I have Monkfruit maple syrup.

dailyyum.com/ricotta-souffle-low-carb-pancakes/

It's on my CMT as well.
Bed last night 6.0 FBG 5.6. I didn't hear the patter of feet raiding the kitchen until 7.30am this morning. At least it was water and Belvita they took back upstairs. They've also now discovered that Demeter (mother of Persephone) is the sister of Hades so, they've sussed Hades is Persephone's uncle. This makes him even more mean apparently. Left Hubby to cope with the wrong shape of cereal and I got up to deal with the washing and dressing by which time downstairs resembled a construction site with these magnetic building shapes.
B. Just TAG again.
L. Had to negotiate my shopping delivery around the construction site but the boys helped to take it through. I was also running a conveyor belt of food. Unbelievably No 2 had a bowl of broth at 10.30am! Later got them packed up and off to collect Mum & Dad from the station.
D. Having deposited everyone home again, I ate a slice of roast pork leg and pork luncheon meat as I was starving. Little later when Hubby got back from football I had a salmon fillet with cauliflower rice, beansprouts and thai red curry. Couldn't finish it (shouldn't have had the cold meat).
Peace reigns in my household again- swimming lessons start again tomorrow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2x black coffee this morning, ate lunch around 2pm

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-cheese-melt
View attachment 38841

Pretty good, a bit more faff than @Rachox ‘s tuna melt muffins but I made a couple extra Oopsie bread for a sandwich later in the week. @maglil55 you made Oopsie bread recently I remember, I used to make it a lot and had forgotten how useful it is.
D: Fillet steak ( always cheering to send Mr C to the butcher, he never shows restraint and always gets large ones) garlic butter, wilted spinach, fried mushrooms and onions. Glass of Shiraz ( will be 1/2 bottle by the end of the evening)
@shelley262 fingers crossed for water levels continuing to drop.
I did indeed make Oopsie bread recently and they were huge. Mine never make it to the freezer @shelley262. They keep well in the fridge for a few days. I usually wrap them individually in greaseproof but last time I used the bees wrap I got in Lakeland. I'm making Oopsie again for this week as I have BLT on the agenda again and the Tuna melt you had today @DJC3.
I don't know about you @DJC3, but I'm finding my shopping list is getting shorter each week that goes by as I tend to have most of what I need in stock. Week 7 I haven't changed too much as I see some of my favourites are back.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Goonergal -- Agree with the other posters, the moo grob looks delicious. Also the oxtail is quite enticing.
@shelley262 -- Keeping my fingers crossed that the water will be receding soon.

Was out looking at some vintage furniture today and bought a smallish table from the turn of the century (last, not this), a bit beaten up, but very pretty and also inexpensive. Now just have to figure out how to get it home. (It will probably fit into the convertible, but not with the top closed -- brrr).

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A chicken-meat wiener sausage.

Lunch: Two Adana kebop skewers with a bit of tzatziki. A glass of dry red wine.

Dinner: A tub of chicken liver pate, a wiener sausage, 20g of 85% chocolate, a spoonful of h/m low-carb chocolate mousse, a babybel cheese, and a glass of dry red wine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s inspired by @DCUKMod who posted this recipe last year: https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

Mine is just pork belly strips boiled for 15 minutes. Usually I then wrap in foil, but leave the rind exposed and put in the fridge overnight. Then score the rind, salt, cut into little pieces and pop in the air fryer (a high temperature in the oven would work week too). They’re quite delicious!

Yesterday afternoon, we had the second meal of our almost routinely 2MAD these days. Our selections was:

Moo Grob
Pork Jerky with a dipping sauce (which was perky, but too sweet for my taste)
Roasted pork neck (we'd more likely call it collar), with a chilli, lime and garlic dip
Deep fried chicken (no batter or coatings, surprisingly, and positively from my viewpoint), with stir-fry vegetables, and loads of ginger
MrB had a portion of steamed rice.

It was all absolutely delicious in a new eatery to us.

Whilst 2MAD is very comfortable for us here, in terms of how we're living our days here, I'm having to mainline on scratchings and such. Methinks I need to mainline on the coconut milk based dishes for a while, and maybe an extra egg a time brekkers.

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 21/02/2020
Posting early as I will be away this evening. Had a good sleep, had some chamomile tea last night, woke at my usual time of 5AM. Going up to my parents this evening for a nice family dinner. My niece just turned four months old. Stomach was fine with diary this morning, so I will keep battling away with it. Went for a half hour walk around the neighborhood this morning, washing should dry on line before I leave for the evening. IT's going to be a busy week, lots of bus catching tomorrow, diabetes appointment on Tuesday, and yearly diabetes eye test on Wednesday, then online uni goes back on the 2nd of next month.

Breakfast: 40g rolled oats, 40g fresh blueberries, 192g full fat greek yoghurt (finished container) 80ml whole milk and water to cook in, plus two white coffees with 20ml milk in each. 4 black coffees, and four espresso shots.

Lunch: 122g roasted chicken breast, 157g raw cucumber, 133g raw tomato, 120g mushrooms, mustard, 20ml medium salsa, salt pepper.

Dinner: I am expecting two slices of rolled pork roast, cauliflower, green beans, boiled butternut squash, maybe a small amount of carrots, mustard, salt pepper. Finish the meal with ginger/lemon, chamomile tea.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today :

Breakfast: a fried egg , two zucchini pancakes ( bought it frozen - too advanced cooking even for Chef Winnie The Pooh ). Two mushrooms, Black coffee.

Lunch : bf made pasta with fake beef and whole meal pasta and mushrooms ( ate half a portion ), salad .

Dinner : cauliflower pizza with bacon and vegetables and pineapple ( take away ) was so yummy . No spikes.
Bf had normal pizza , we ate it while watching a movie .

Dessert : keto ice cream .

There was a false fire alarm at my apartment. I love fire trucks so stayed out and watched in complete delight . I am glad it was false alarm though . Asked bf for a fire truck as a present . He said yes.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today 21/02/2020
Posting early as I will be away this evening. Had a good sleep, had some chamomile tea last night, woke at my usual time of 5AM. Going up to my parents this evening for a nice family dinner. My niece just turned four months old. Stomach was fine with diary this morning, so I will keep battling away with it. Went for a half hour walk around the neighborhood this morning, washing should dry on line before I leave for the evening. IT's going to be a busy week, lots of bus catching tomorrow, diabetes appointment on Tuesday, and yearly diabetes eye test on Wednesday, then online uni goes back on the 2nd of next month.

Breakfast: 40g rolled oats, 40g fresh blueberries, 192g full fat greek yoghurt (finished container) 80ml whole milk and water to cook in, plus two white coffees with 20ml milk in each. 4 black coffees, and four espresso shots.

Lunch: 122g roasted chicken breast, 157g raw cucumber, 133g raw tomato, 120g mushrooms, mustard, 20ml medium salsa, salt pepper.

Dinner: I am expecting two slices of rolled pork roast, cauliflower, green beans, boiled butternut squash, maybe a small amount of carrots, mustard, salt pepper. Finish the meal with ginger/lemon, chamomile tea.

Can you handle oats ? I love oats but they give me a spike . Maybe it’s the additive stuff though since I buy it in different flavors .

Awww you have a 4 month baby niece ! I love how they smell at that age . I sniffed my niece so much when she was a baby . She smelled like vanilla ice cream .

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did indeed make Oopsie bread recently and they were huge. Mine never make it to the freezer @shelley262. They keep well in the fridge for a few days. I usually wrap them individually in greaseproof but last time I used the bees wrap I got in Lakeland. I'm making Oopsie again for this week as I have BLT on the agenda again and the Tuna melt you had today @DJC3.
I don't know about you @DJC3, but I'm finding my shopping list is getting shorter each week that goes by as I tend to have most of what I need in stock. Week 7 I haven't changed too much as I see some of my favourites are back.

Yes I think you’re right about the shopping list getting shorter, and because I know what I’ll be doing (most of the time) I’m not buying stuff ‘just in case’
I’m intending to have an Oopsie BLT this week, I’ve been thinking about one ever since you posted about yours.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann your chichen olive sounds really tasty and has inspired me to do something creative with boneless chicken thighs. You take care out there, you are always doing things for others.

I had intended it to be pork mince, not sausage and I think it would have been better - the sausages were not to my taste really. But I couldn't find the packet of pork mince that should be in the freezer.

Yesterday I had a not very good day - breakfast was a sort of deconstructed egg mayo - 2 hard boiled eggs with a dab of mayo on the side of the plate because I couldn't really be bothered to chop up the eggs - not a good way of starting the day.:( So it didn't auger well for the rest of the day.

I decided, for some reason not known to myself, to do a test so that I had solid information to give the dietician next week so I made 2 very plain (thin) pancakes and had them with some baked beans out of a tin! Really, I think that I saw the tin of beans and wanted to find a reason to have them. Not sure what I proved except that something in the mix was not very good for me. BG topped out at 13.5 at 5.30 pm (had been 6.9 FBG). It only started to fall then through 10.6/9.3 to 5.5 after taking extra insulin and my evening meal (chicken and sausage stew with onions, peas and apple, to use up some of the chicken and sausages from the day before). Felt sick and dizzy and definitely legs swollen and stomach bloated all day - even after the chicken and BG dropped further to 4.7. It came up again to 5.7 about 1 am when I went to bed. And actually, I didn't even like the beans - not as I remembered them.

Feeling a bit better today though. FBG 7.7. Had 2 more of the sausages with 2 fried eggs. BG currently 10.1. Later, I have a beef casserole with courgette and aubergine ready to go, but having it depends on how I get on for the rest of the day.

Beans on toast is one dish recommended by our dietician - sugar free, of course, but I can't take sweeteners of any kind, so I would have to have them with sugar, in any case, so that's what I did. I shan't be having that again, though. I think the experiment resulted in data that shows that carbs and baked beans isn't a good mix for me, but that's about all.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
" Are we the only ones who still struggle after nearly 5 years?

Nope! As you may have noticed, I am still struggling 1 - to make the WOE make a lot of difference and 2) to get over my addiction to carbs. After yesterday's experience though, I will be much more careful about what my eyes tell me I want.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope! As you may have noticed, I am still struggling 1 - to make the WOE make a lot of difference and 2) to get over my addiction to carbs. After yesterday's experience though, I will be much more careful about what my eyes tell me I want.
I read your posts and see how hard you try to manage your levels and am in awe of your efforts. My issues are nothing like yours and my bg levels are relatively well managed. I also don't think I'm addicted to carbs so I have it much easier there. I would never have believed I would be sub 11 st 6 (6') again so some positives which I don't always highlight.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb sorry to hear about the bean and pancake fiasco. I have two small tins of reduced sugar beans in the cupboard that may never get used. Mr PM likes the Branston ones. Its awful that they made you feel so bad afterwards though probs due to big jump in BG and effect of artificial sweeteners. I know, its a constant effort to be “good” and even then we are not always rewarded. Its harsh that you fancied a small tin of beans but it just didnt work out.
Not long ago I did brunch for Mr PM before he set off for the footie and cutting a fresh crusty giraffe loaf the smell was tantalising and all I fould think was how nice it would be to have two thick slices spread with butter. I had a tiny slice of LivLife toast piled high with scrambled egg instead which was very nice but it was not as good as it could have been! Take care Ann and good luck with the dietician.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s inspired by @DCUKMod who posted this recipe last year: https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

Mine is just pork belly strips boiled for 15 minutes. Usually I then wrap in foil, but leave the rind exposed and put in the fridge overnight. Then score the rind, salt, cut into little pieces and pop in the air fryer (a high temperature in the oven would work week too). They’re quite delicious!
Pork belly currently being boiled, which gives me the feeling I am ruining 2 perfectly good pork belly strips.
I think I'll boil them for half an hour and then try to dry them in the oven because I want to eat them today and I haven't seen the sun in weeks so the sun drying method is out.
I'm curious how low my oven can go. If it's still too hot in there I can always leave the door open (and lock all my pets in the living room for the time being).
They don't usually sell pork belly strips with the rind attatched, so I can skip the scoring and only salt them. Tonight I'll deep-fry them, as I don't think my oven will be hot enough, and I still have a pan with sunflower oil from last weeks kroket craving.
Deep frying scares me, as I never do it, so wish me luck!

To be continued...

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like OMAD for me today. After a couple of black coffees this morning went on a wet and windy charity beach dog walk. Dennis had fun with a few other barking mad pals until they discovered a dead beached dolphin and it took a group effort to shoo them away.
Lunch was already partly prepared https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-club-casserole/servings/7 for a few family members. Everyone enjoyed it ( well, there were empty plates all round) found some DGF peanut and chocolate brownies when clearing the freezer yesterday so had one of those with cream for pud. Couple glasses Shiraz throughout.
Youngest daughter has decided she’s a chess master so is challenging all. I’ve left them to it and curled up on sofa with Little D.
Doubt I’ll eat any more, that was a very nutrient dense meal.
@Annb I wonder what the dietician will say about your bg numbers after the beans? @Debandez has done a similar experiment on herself recently - trying to eat according to DUK guidelines and she found the same as you - very high bg. Glad you’re feeling a bit better today.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did a test-fry with a small piece. Very good with a bit of salt but this deep frying terrifies me. I've been standing with the lid in my dish-towel covered hand like a shield, ready to throw it on the pan should something scary happen and jumping every time there was a small sizzle.
How do you know if the oil is too cold, to hot or about to catch fire?

I'm afraid my parents failed to teach me how to deep fry but succeeded in scaring me better than they had planned.

Tips?

(ps. Dogs and cats love me for giving them the water I cooked the meat in :) )

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bacon and eggs for breakfast
A bit of cheese for lunch
Then for the evening meal, a big fish filet and something new- something I'm going to recommend: stir-fried konjac jelly.
I had konjac cut into little strips, then stir-fried with sichuan pepper, button mushrooms and a little pork mince. Honestly, the konjac was great, and I'm going to look into maybe eating it every day- it could be a game-changer!

RoscoeB78

The way I make my omelettes is, crack three eggs into a bowl add a good grind of a pepper medley and chilli mix stirred in. Then I add the shredded cheese and sliced up mushrooms and stir well. Then pour into my $10.00 non stick frypan cook on high on the electric oven.

lxpssEk.jpg

VO3RzFh.jpg
That looks amazing.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How do you buy the konjac? I've only seen konjac noodles, this must be something else.
Well I'm overseas, so what I bought might not available everywhere, but it was a big rectangular block in a plastic pouch- a Japanese brand. I actually bought it on impulse before Christmas and it's been biding its time in the fridge: I wasn't sure about it till I tried it. but I really like it. If you can get konjac noodles, they're probably much the same thing. I'm someone who needs to lose a lot of weight, so having an extra option to bulk out meals is just the ticket!

Reactions: DJC3