What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 sorry your area is still fighting the river rises.
Todays breakfast usual slice LL toast, butter, tea x 2.
Lunch: remainder of veggie quiche with crusts cut off, spoon coleslaw. Coffee after with two squares Lindt 90%.
Supper will be roasted chicken mini fillets with broccoli. Sauce optional for Mr PM!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast DD crusted cheese omelette. Black coffee then dentist again so no lunch.
Dinner. Another DD recipe - pesto salmon https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-baked-salmon-with-pesto used the fresh pesto from M&S again which I much prefer to the jars.
@shelley262 I really feel for you and hope to goodness the water starts to go down soon so you can get back to normal again.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@shelley262 -- Hugs for the high waters, hope they recede after this week. They've definitely been high for long enough.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a ribeye steak with sauerkraut in cream and caraway seeds, half an avocado. A tiny piece of fullfat Sacher torte (about 5g).

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with homemade Caesar's dressing, shredded gouda, and steak strips cut from the second half of the ribeye steak. Some dry red wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast DD crusted cheese omelette. Black coffee then dentist again so no lunch.
Dinner. Another DD recipe - pesto salmon https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-baked-salmon-with-pesto used the fresh pesto from M&S again which I much prefer to the jars.
@shelley262 I really feel for you and hope to goodness the water starts to go down soon so you can get back to normal again.

Well I’m flummoxed. Bg before dinner 5.1 and 2 hr later was 7.0 ! Actually I did have green beans with the salmon but less than 100g. Under 10g carbs total meal count. Not happy about that.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: one chicken drumstick followed by strawberries and cream with macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m flummoxed. Bg before dinner 5.1 and 2 hr later was 7.0 ! Actually I did have green beans with the salmon but less than 100g. Under 10g carbs total meal count. Not happy about that.

I had to ditch green beans fairly early on due to spikes. Don’t think it’s uncommon. Hugs.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast/brunch: Tea with almond milk and sweetener; CWC with sugar free caramel syrupage at home; tea (2.5 normal tea cups) with cows milk and maybe 10 gms Julie’s salad garnish for lunch - (bought a very nice half shoulder of lamb there). 36 hr sous vide brisket, sprouts, baby spinach, Jus from the brisket. Brisket was tender but oh so dry and jus was tasty but brisket is just not for me. I think letting it cool and thinly slicing as pastrami may work slightly better but we're done with brisket. Sprouts and spinach good. Very hungry so will have cheese. In better news we found the local farm selling their own pork and mutton - different butcher back into Cambs - and they had hand and spring of pork. BT changed our phone number so we won't get Burger King's calls at stupid O'clock and the garage conversion off to a good start.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Been out of touch after a pretty awful (and costly) weekend -
The children's party on Saturday was a success but I was just about dying on my feet by the end and actually had to leave early with Em and leave it to others to finish clearing up. On Sunday I could barely move so I took a full dose of co-codamol (don't know when I ever took more than half) and promptly fell asleep for 4 hours. By that time, of course, any pain killing effect it that had been in action had worn off. Didn't take any more.

I had left the place in a terrible state with all the rushing around on Saturday and my lovely Neil had cleared it up for me but, when I got home, informed me that the oil had run out - 3 months' worth used in 5 weeks! And that's despite me having turned the thermostat down to 18. That's the effect of the cold wind cooling the house down. So, no hot water and no radiators. Great!

Decided to get online and chat to you guys. But the hard drive on my laptop crashed.:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: Neil had to go to town yesterday to get a new hard drive. The techie shop only had solid state drives which Neil thought would work but he also thought he might have trouble loading software onto it. Clever lad managed it though with updated software. So, I got online to find that Diabetes UK wanted my password, but I couldn't remember it. Went through the process to make a new one. Tried to log in but the website wouldn't let me in.:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

So - here we are, Tuesday evening and I am finally able to use the laptop, with it's updated software, AND I can log in. Hurrah!

Also yesterday No 2 son came in with the mail and told us that his wife's new(for her) car wasn't working and they would have to get it towed in to a garage in Stornoway to see what is wrong with it. Then today, we got a big stone chip on the windscreen of the Scenic which will need to be repaired before it gets worse, although Neil wants to wait until we are closer to the MOT date, just in case it happens again.

Had my appointment with the dietician yesterday. I was demonstrating to her how carbs cause spikes (using my food diary) and that I can control BG if I don't have carbs. She was not convinced that I wouldn't be having lots of hypos but I assured her that I do not, and promptly realised that I was actually in the process of having a hypo then and there. She tested my BG and it was 2.9. Just before I left the house it had been 7. She gave me apple juice and a digestive biscuit and made me sit for a while until it came up to 4.1 and then let me go because Neil was bringing me home. She did suggest that I should carry a 150 ml can of Coca cola for such emergencies. I think not. Gads! It was the soup what done it your Honour. She wants to see me again in a fortnight.

I'll get back to posting food tomorrow - assuming that nothing else goes wrong.

Pic is some of the kids and mothers decorating the cakes, themselves, the table and the floor.

Cake deco table.jpg

Reactions: Mike d and maglil55

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lunch today, 2 halves Avocado stuffed with Mascarpone cheese and crushed walnuts. 8 pieces of bacon wrapped cheese.

Tonight, Organic, grass fed Pork shoulder chop, full fat Creamed Spinach with cream and Mascarpone, Brussels fried in butter and Lardons.

Yum :)

Attachments

• dinnner.jpg
    dinnner.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 219

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 03/038220
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 40g chocolate flavor protein powder, 0.5 cup cocnut milk unsweetened blend in porridge, 170g full fat yoghurt. 25g coconut yoghurt for a taste (icky, don't like coconut yoghurt) MAde by a local company over here, glad I didn't like it, it had fructose in it.Will try the other brand that doesn't have any sweetener in it and see what I think. 5 white coffee with splenda 120ml milk.

Snack: Sugar free red bull, two sugar free creaming soda (kirk) brand

Lunch: Travelling, vegan salted caramel protein bar (quite good), 1 white coffee

Dinner: 250g mung bean sprouts, 3 XL eggs made into a nice omlette, with 100g ham and 34g reduced fat cheese. 122g tomato and 41g carrot sticks with mustard on side. One more sugar free creaming soda while making dinner aftera long day, then a pepermint, chamomile, ginger and lemon tea. Yes I use three tea bags, but the combination works wonderfully. One twinnings peppermint, one twining chamomile and the UK brand "Higer Living" ginger and lemon tea bag" lovely for digestion. https://www.higherlivingherbs.com/all-teas/ginger-kick

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been out of touch after a pretty awful (and costly) weekend -
The children's party on Saturday was a success but I was just about dying on my feet by the end and actually had to leave early with Em and leave it to others to finish clearing up. On Sunday I could barely move so I took a full dose of co-codamol (don't know when I ever took more than half) and promptly fell asleep for 4 hours. By that time, of course, any pain killing effect it that had been in action had worn off. Didn't take any more.

I had left the place in a terrible state with all the rushing around on Saturday and my lovely Neil had cleared it up for me but, when I got home, informed me that the oil had run out - 3 months' worth used in 5 weeks! And that's despite me having turned the thermostat down to 18. That's the effect of the cold wind cooling the house down. So, no hot water and no radiators. Great!

Decided to get online and chat to you guys. But the hard drive on my laptop crashed.:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: Neil had to go to town yesterday to get a new hard drive. The techie shop only had solid state drives which Neil thought would work but he also thought he might have trouble loading software onto it. Clever lad managed it though with updated software. So, I got online to find that Diabetes UK wanted my password, but I couldn't remember it. Went through the process to make a new one. Tried to log in but the website wouldn't let me in.:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

So - here we are, Tuesday evening and I am finally able to use the laptop, with it's updated software, AND I can log in. Hurrah!

Also yesterday No 2 son came in with the mail and told us that his wife's new(for her) car wasn't working and they would have to get it towed in to a garage in Stornoway to see what is wrong with it. Then today, we got a big stone chip on the windscreen of the Scenic which will need to be repaired before it gets worse, although Neil wants to wait until we are closer to the MOT date, just in case it happens again.

Had my appointment with the dietician yesterday. I was demonstrating to her how carbs cause spikes (using my food diary) and that I can control BG if I don't have carbs. She was not convinced that I wouldn't be having lots of hypos but I assured her that I do not, and promptly realised that I was actually in the process of having a hypo then and there. She tested my BG and it was 2.9. Just before I left the house it had been 7. She gave me apple juice and a digestive biscuit and made me sit for a while until it came up to 4.1 and then let me go because Neil was bringing me home. She did suggest that I should carry a 150 ml can of Coca cola for such emergencies. I think not. Gads! It was the soup what done it your Honour. She wants to see me again in a fortnight.

I'll get back to posting food tomorrow - assuming that nothing else goes wrong.

Pic is some of the kids and mothers decorating the cakes, themselves, the table and the floor.

View attachment 39115
What a tale of "mishaps" (words I would use NSFW) BUT what a trooper for battling through and posting with such humour. Take care please.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb take care and hope you get some warmth soon the forecast isn’t good re temperature so do keep warmly wrapped up there in the ‘frozen north’ !
Another peak today on River Severn - let’s hope it’s the last! Last night was dreadful we were effectively cut off yet again with all road closures- not helped by the fact that the only remaining road out - a very roundabout route but a way out! - was closed for four hours because of an incident. Our eldest luckily didn’t need to call us out but we were worried! Think it would have been about 50 miles round via nearest accessible bridge to go on a caring visit of a few miles! Anyway crossing fingers our own Bewdley bridge may be open by the weekend provided no more storms!
Hungry day - think it may be stress!
Breakfast two boiled eggs and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch/snacks whilst sat in traffic munched on lc dd seed and nut bars - two! A piece of 95% choc and then just before tea when back a warm chaffle with sf syrup and cream
Dinner ‘pasta’ chicken bake ( chaffles for pasta) with coleslaw followed by lc lemon and lime mousse and two glasses of dry white wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to ditch green beans fairly early on due to spikes. Don’t think it’s uncommon. Hugs.

Really? That must be it then. Darn it! Thanks though, at least I’ll know to avoid them now.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb good to see you back but hugs for all the trouble specially the hypo. Typically bad timing! Glad you are back with us and do take care whatever you eat.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb and @shelley262 hugs to you both for the very trying times. I hope things change soon.
Today I had breakfast/brunch out. The vegetarian option in which they kindly substituted the sourdough toast for an extra egg and beans for mushrooms. So poached eggs, mushrooms, asparagus and grilled tom. Black coffee
Hungry this afternoon maybe because there was no fat in breakfast - I should have asked for butter. Had some pecans to tide me over.
Dinner was a tuna salad, 1/2 avocado, 1h/b egg h/m mayo then a DGF peanut brownie.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: One chicken drumstick followed by Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: salted caramel phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: peking style ribs with creamy garlic mushrooms followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, spudlite.
Lunch: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Mutton chops, veggies, brown onion gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary, water.

Just about to head of tho the pathology shop for my hba1c blood test and the tests that get done on the request form. It's handy now they open at 6:00 am not to long to go before coffee time and breakfast.

Took this pix just now, looks like The Hummock is going to erupt...

1AnJYMX.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Usual three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, spudlite.
Lunch: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Mutton chops, veggies, brown onion gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary, water.

Just about to head of tho the pathology shop for my hba1c blood test and the tests that get done on the request form. It's handy now they open at 6:00 am not to long to go before coffee time and breakfast.

Took this pix just now, looks like The Hummock is going to erupt...

1AnJYMX.jpg
Best wishes for the blood tests. Your numbers and graphs always show you know how to deal with your T2 so I have no doubts it will go well. Very striking photo.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262- I do hope that was the last of the peaks for the Severn. You've certainly had quite a time of it. @DJC3 - I'm fine with green beans although I don't have them a lot. I'm quite fond of one of the DD recipes which is green beans with avocado through them. @Annb - trust good ol' diabetes to pick that point in time for a hypo. Especially with an unbeliever next to you. I do hope your fuel stocks are replenished quickly too as it is nippy here today. Do take care.
Yesterday - bed 5.6 FBG 5.8. Got a late call to say I'd got into Aqua so it was a bit of a rush to do the school run, dash home, make up my Aqua bag and get to the Club. Problem was worse because every route has road works currently but I made it in with 3 mins to spare. Rest of the day was taken up with sorting a Roman Centurion outfit for No. 1 for World Book Day. Bought the helmet/sword and shield though.
B. TAG
L. Post Aqua - still had a slice of oopsie so it became a sandwich with wafer thin turkey, lettuce, slice of tomato, bit avocado and mayo.
D. Had to swap the DD meals around as no way Hubby would eat chicken with pesto and feta. So I moved the pork kebabs to yesterday. I was supposed to have cauli mash with it but I finished off the celeriac dauphinoise. Also made veggie kebab of mushroom, green and yellow pepper and red onion.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pork-skewers-mash-salsa-verde

Today - hubby at the football. So he ate earlier. Had a mad disinfecting day. I'm still preaching to the boys about hand washing so the bathrooms/doorhandles etc are well disinfected now. I don't want son catching anything and ending up in ICU again. It was a couple of years ago but I'd rather not repeat the experience.
Bed 5.8 FBG 5.9
B. TAG
L. Nothing - busy with the disinfecting.
D. Cooked some chicken drumsticks which I'd seasoned with herbs, salt, lemon juice and garlic in the air fryer (yes @DCUKMod mine lives on the worktop with my Kenwood, IP and Tassimo.) Supposed to have mixed greens but I switched it for lettuce, 1/2 avocado, santini tomatoes, 4 walnuts and mayo.

2nd half and still 0-0.