What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all Breakfast: Sweetened TWAM - 2 x 700 mls ; 10. 30: Bovril + ACV as I felt even more cold than usual; No Dockey: L: 2 egg mayo; celery, tomato, cucumber, CWC and ersatz caramel syrup to eek out the Monin: Aft: Tea and Chocologic Belgian choc:; Meal: A version of this (https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/ground-beef-casserole/) mine included 675 gms beef along with frozen coriander and basil, passata, smoked paprika, mushrooms and broccoli with roasted spinach while the oven was on. I found and used some grated cheddar but mainly Mozarella - cooked cheddar is not good for Julie after about 5.00 pm. Worked out how to use the hob and found where some cookware was; Vit C powder drink. Yes, the main meal is very DD like - I'm a weak and foolish old man BUT absolutely no cream cheese.
upload_2020-4-1_17-1-5.png

No cooking skill needed (maybe frying the beef etc and heating things first) the oven basically walks me through it. The combi microwave is a whole other story.

xbkeacPDwC9cxmKNa8XGSh_HJyjVmR7ZRB_1pIOOpi1bjPk0NlIlUDtvdsD4jEO6QGhwjMEF1XPuFMdZSNLLGwGQax-cSIthri44I6ks-LQ_QRH1IYFV02DOPZJZ9tTeS856fvLq

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening All. My click & collect box from the farm shop revealed, savoy cabbage, small cauli, brocolli, lettuce, doz eggs, large wedge of Brie, 2 brown loaves. No fruit for Mr PM but some apples are left. So happy with that.
Took friend back to her home today. Am very tired by the stress of the 3 hour drive and being out of the house surprisingly. Didnt feel right at all. Back to thread I have four chicken breasts out of date tomo so will be cooking up two with veg to make a curry for Friday and for tonights a Med type casserole with tomatoes aubergine and olives. My freezer slices of LL bread for toast almost depleted now so will make the Helmsleys seed bread tomo. I will miss toast and if fbg is good might have one small slice of brown ordinary toast sometimes.

@Chook hope your foot starts to feel better. @Annb sorry to hear the difficulties you and Neil having acquiring essential food. That must be so difficult for you both.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Completely jiggered. Started work at 7.30 (having already been for a long walk) and didn’t stop for so much as a break until almost 2pm for a quick bite to eat. 4.5 hours of that was on 2 consecutive conference calls. Flatly refused to attend another one at the end of the day!

Upshot of that was. TMAD that was really a drawn out OMAD. Started with 2 brined chicken thighs - call that the starter. Then 1 DGF brownie and a blob of cream. Main course was mince, 2 fried eggs and cheese followed by a pack of cheesies.

Triumph of the day was locating the Woodpecker I’ve been hearing in Greenwich Park every morning - and getting a reasonable shot from distance.

EFBF9113-E4E4-4229-8124-31D31351C4F9.jpeg
09A52888-FC97-4CE6-8F86-8997B4240802.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Completely jiggered. Started work at 7.30 (having already been for a long walk) and didn’t stop for so much as a break until almost 2pm for a quick bite to eat. 4.5 hours of that was on 2 consecutive conference calls. Flatly refused to attend another one at the end of the day!

Upshot of that was. TMAD that was really a drawn out OMAD. Started with 2 brined chicken thighs - call that the starter. Then 1 DGF brownie and a blob of cream. Main course was mince, 2 fried eggs and cheese followed by a pack of cheesies.

Triumph of the day was locating the Woodpecker I’ve been hearing in Greenwich Park every morning - and getting a reasonable shot from distance.

View attachment 39913 View attachment 39914
You needed a "Huginner" rating but Morrisons substituted winner due to the Woodpecker.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chook hope your foot starts to feel better. @Annb sorry to hear the difficulties you and Neil having acquiring essential food. That must be so difficult for you both.

It's OK. This is where the stiff upper lip comes in. We'll get by one way or another. Couldn't get an answer from my butcher - their office is obviously not working, but I did get a change of message after their closing time so they are obviously there. So I found their e-mail address and sent them an e-mail asking if they will accept an order online for me to pick up in a brief visit to the shop. They are a small business with interests in the community, so they might be helpful.

Prepped some vegetables that need to be used and/or frozen this afternoon. Quite a lot of leeks and courgettes plus one aubergine which was very nearly over the top. Roasting it at the moment and will make Imam Bayaldi tomorrow.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's OK. This is where the stiff upper lip comes in. We'll get by one way or another. Couldn't get an answer from my butcher - their office is obviously not working, but I did get a change of message after their closing time so they are obviously there. So I found their e-mail address and sent them an e-mail asking if they will accept an order online for me to pick up in a brief visit to the shop. They are a small business with interests in the community, so they might be helpful.

Prepped some vegetables that need to be used and/or frozen this afternoon. Quite a lot of leeks and courgettes plus one aubergine which was very nearly over the top. Roasting it at the moment and will make Imam Bayaldi tomorrow.
I love your attitude. I would have thought the butcher and other small foods shops would be very willing to deliver to islanders. Hope you get a positive response fromthe butcher. Tbh we are of the mind that we will eat what we can get within reason obs!
Take care.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ann, I wonder if your butcher would be able to accommodate almost a drive-by shopping experience, if you have already ordered and paid over the phone.

Your Scenic is surely more than 2m from driving seat to tailgate? If you were to leave the tailgate unlocked, he could bring out the bag of meat and drop it into the "boot"? When you got home, Neil could rescue the shopping, whilst you sorted yourself out?

Our butcher said on his Facebook page they have been so overwhelmed by the requests for deliveries (free over £20 spend - ours always is, were we to want to use it), that from next week, they will deliver Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays.

I will be visiting the shop tomorrow for our weekly haul.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the spirit of the thread, tonight we had stuffed peppers. The stuffing was mainly the leftover Rendang from the other night.

When we have something like casserole, we always make enough for 2 meals, but we both enjoyed it Rendang so much first time around that we were both very greedy, so the remains were more scant that ideally required, so topped with some cheese, to create a cheesy seal..

It was still delicious, but all gone. :(.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: raspberry phd bar with a black coffee.
Late Lunch: a handful of pistachios followed by Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding, a couple of raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: ginger, lime and coriander oven cooked chicken with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How very cheering to get that Spam prize! I’m now singing the Monty Python song, and probably will carry on for days. I used to do a lot of competitions ( before they were all online) and won all sorts of things, from the sublime ( a wine tasting holiday to France c/o Waitrose magazine) to the ridiculous (a 6inch block of Tempur mattress) I used to really look forward to the post.
Now I think you should post your winning Spam recipe.
It was very cheering. It seems the pack is worth £150 so I'll be interested to see it. Before the boys arrived, but after my accident and during the long rehabilitation, I too passed the time by entering loads of competitions. I had quite a few very good wins. A theatre weekend in London, 1st class train travel, B&B at the Cavendish, pre theatre dinner, drinks before and at the interval and a programme. One I loved - overnight B&B at the Hilton in Glasgow, train travel and tickets & transport to Circe du Soleil. Seats were right at the stage and it was incredible being that close. £500. Loads of quite expensive Lego sets and a new car. Unfortunately it was a car I couldn't drive as it was a clutch and by that time DVLA had decreed my injuries meant automatic only. I did manage to get it traded in and changed for an automatic locally. Strangest was a plastic mold to put smiley faces on toast and a mold to make monster shaped fried eggs. I may enter more again now I have time on my hands.
Anyway, the recipe. I varied the cheesy, eggy corned beef thingy.
Chopped up spam
Sliced peppers - any colour
Chopped onion
Kidney beans
Chopped santini tomatoes
Seasoning
Chilli to taste
1 egg
Grated Mexican cheese
Guacamole
Sour Cream
Buttle/oil to cook
Fresh chopped parsley

Basically, melt the butter/oil and soften the onions and peppers. Add the spam and let it break down a little. Add the tomatoes (they'll break down and 'sauce' the mix then the kidney beans from a tin. Season and add chilli to taste. Make a hollow and crack the egg into it. Wait until the white begins to set then transfer to a grill to cook the top of the egg a little further before removing to cover in grated Mexican cheese. Return to the grill until the cheese is bubbling. You want to keep the egg yolk soft so you need to watch the grill time. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with guacamole and sour cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast etc black coffee until 12:00
Lunch tuna salad then 5 HC buttons
Dinner DD Chinese pork stew with cabbage. Glass of red. Chocolate chia pudding afterwards
@Ann B What a time you’re having, it must be so stressful, how far away does no2 son live? I’m sure he’d be happy to help out if he’s already offered.
@PenguinMum glad you got your friend home safe and sound. Your farm shop box sounds pretty good considering.
@Goonergal hugs for the really hectic day but wonderful shot of the woodpecker. I stopped in my tracks this morning ( on my 1/2 hr exercise walk with Dennis) as I could hear one very clearly but couldn’t locate it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was very cheering. It seems the pack is worth £150 so I'll be interested to see it. Before the boys arrived, but after my accident and during the long rehabilitation, I too passed the time by entering loads of competitions. I had quite a few very good wins. A theatre weekend in London, 1st class train travel, B&B at the Cavendish, pre theatre dinner, drinks before and at the interval and a programme. One I loved - overnight B&B at the Hilton in Glasgow, train travel and tickets & transport to Circe du Soleil. Seats were right at the stage and it was incredible being that close. £500. Loads of quite expensive Lego sets and a new car. Unfortunately it was a car I couldn't drive as it was a clutch and by that time DVLA had decreed my injuries meant automatic only. I did manage to get it traded in and changed for an automatic locally. Strangest was a plastic mold to put smiley faces on toast and a mold to make monster shaped fried eggs. I may enter more again now I have time on my hands.
Anyway, the recipe. I varied the cheesy, eggy corned beef thingy.
Chopped up spam
Sliced peppers - any colour
Chopped onion
Kidney beans
Chopped santini tomatoes
Seasoning
Chilli to taste
1 egg
Grated Mexican cheese
Guacamole
Sour Cream
Buttle/oil to cook
Fresh chopped parsley

Basically, melt the butter/oil and soften the onions and peppers. Add the spam and let it break down a little. Add the tomatoes (they'll break down and 'sauce' the mix then the kidney beans from a tin. Season and add chilli to taste. Make a hollow and crack the egg into it. Wait until the white begins to set then transfer to a grill to cook the top of the egg a little further before removing to cover in grated Mexican cheese. Return to the grill until the cheese is bubbling. You want to keep the egg yolk soft so you need to watch the grill time. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with guacamole and sour cream.
No wonder your recipe caught their attention! Do you think they tested all the recipes out?
You’re one up on me with the car - never did manage to win one but it was such an enjoyable hobby. I’m not sure that online competitions offer the same thrill but I might start doing it again now we have time on our hands like you say.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Just put a online order in with Woolies, best priority delivery slot is Sunday between 9:00 and 14:00 all the other days have gone already.

Managed to get 1 pack pf paper serviettes and paper towel each this time, still no bog rolls though.

There's a limit of chicken pieces down to 1 kg, only 3 kgs of bacon, eggs are limited also, there's hardly any house cleaning stuff we needed again.

w0UreVw.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No wonder your recipe caught their attention! Do you think they tested all the recipes out?
You’re one up on me with the car - never did manage to win one but it was such an enjoyable hobby. I’m not sure that online competitions offer the same thrill but I might start doing it again now we have time on our hands like you say.
They seem to be gradually posting many of the thousands of recipes they received. The winner was Cheesy chilli cornbread with spam nuggets which was very carby. There were some interesting recipes - spam benedick, spaghetti spambonara, spam kebabs with halloumi, loads of spam hashes, Yorkshire spam which was a breakfast muffin with spam bits on top but what made it "Yorkshire" was it had Henderson's Relish through it.
The car was quite something. I didn't believe it nor did anyone in my family until it was actually delivered to the door. I tend towards competitions where you have to do something. I'm certainly going to have a trawl to see what's online.

Reactions: Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast etc black coffee until 12:00
Lunch tuna salad then 5 HC buttons
Dinner DD Chinese pork stew with cabbage. Glass of red. Chocolate chia pudding afterwards
@Ann B What a time you’re having, it must be so stressful, how far away does no2 son live? I’m sure he’d be happy to help out if he’s already offered.
@PenguinMum glad you got your friend home safe and sound. Your farm shop box sounds pretty good considering.
@Goonergal hugs for the really hectic day but wonderful shot of the woodpecker. I stopped in my tracks this morning ( on my 1/2 hr exercise walk with Dennis) as I could hear one very clearly but couldn’t locate it.

They're only half a mile away so they can go past our door on the way home from town. We'll do well enough. Neither Neil nor I is worried about that. Just might take a little ingenuity to get things that won't upset Neil's allergies.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Toasted cheese and onion sandwich.
Dinner: Belly pork slices, veggies, gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs - good looking cooking and kitchen equipment. @Brunneria - from now on I shall disinfect the wheelies before they go out. I made up a spray with a high concentration of disinfectant in it that I reckon would kill anything! @Chook - cannot believe the Jehovahs were out and about. @Goonergal - great photo from your walk. @PenguinMum - glad your friend got safely home.
@Annb - it is no problem raking through the mire of Gov bits and bobs as I'm well used to it from my working days. The Holyrood site does, however, turn finding things into an acquired art! I believe though that I have finally found the answer to where diabetes lurks. There are two lists - The vulnerable list and the extremely vulnerable (or shielding) list. Neil (and @ianpspurs) are on the extremely vulnerable list. It doesn't help that some conditions are on both lists but what has happened is they did the vulnerable list first then obviously decided there are conditions on here that are even higher risk hence the 2nd list. The main difference is that the vulnerable list they'd prefer us to stay home but, if we must go out, then take precautions - social distancing, hand washing, minimise trips etc. The extreme list - just stay home - don't go out. This is the group that should get priority on the delivery slots. The situation should get better when the volunteers are fully mobilised in England but I still haven't found the Scottish site! The links take you off in 3 directions none of which give info on the volunteers. Personally, I'm sticking to the local community groups. I've got fruit, veg, milk and bread organised now and I've just phoned another butcher meat order. The local farm shop has most other things and they are delivering too plus as @DCUKMod said they'll bring your order out to your car and put it in the boot if you let them know.
B. Yesterday - TAG - 2 slices skinny bread with Philadelphia and mortadella.
L. Nothing - gums were still acting up and feeling a bit queasy. Hopefully Corsodyl will improve matters soon.
D. Thai green curry pork chop with lettuce, tomato and avocado.
Lots of water.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - it is no problem raking through the mire of Gov bits and bobs as I'm well used to it from my working days. The Holyrood site does, however, turn finding things into an acquired art! I believe though that I have finally found the answer to where diabetes lurks. There are two lists - The vulnerable list and the extremely vulnerable (or shielding) list. Neil (and @ianpspurs) are on the extremely vulnerable list. It doesn't help that some conditions are on both lists but what has happened is they did the vulnerable list first then obviously decided there are conditions on here that are even higher risk hence the 2nd list. The main difference is that the vulnerable list they'd prefer us to stay home but, if we must go out, then take precautions - social distancing, hand washing, minimise trips etc. The extreme list - just stay home - don't go out. This is the group that should get priority on the delivery slots. The situation should get better when the volunteers are fully mobilised in England but I still haven't found the Scottish site! The links take you off in 3 directions none of which give info on the volunteers.

That's very useful information @maglil55. I see now the reason for the confusion. Bit odd though, in that the main comorbidity with coronavirus type infections, in the past, has been diabetes. However, we are where we are. Everyone is doing their best in a difficult situation. I have managed to find the site for the Western Isles council which gives a form requesting assistance. So I've sent that off this morning and we'll see what happens. No response, so far from the butcher.

No breakfast, although I am hungry but will wait until I put together the Imam Bayaldi for brunch. I'll make a butternut squash curry later with cauliflower couscous (resembles couscous more than rice). A bit woozy just now - I had to take co-codamol this morning to get moving, so I'm not chopping up anything right now.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs - good looking cooking and kitchen equipment. @Brunneria - from now on I shall disinfect the wheelies before they go out. I made up a spray with a high concentration of disinfectant in it that I reckon would kill anything! @Chook - cannot believe the Jehovahs were out and about. @Goonergal - great photo from your walk. @PenguinMum - glad your friend got safely home.
@Annb - it is no problem raking through the mire of Gov bits and bobs as I'm well used to it from my working days. The Holyrood site does, however, turn finding things into an acquired art! I believe though that I have finally found the answer to where diabetes lurks. There are two lists - The vulnerable list and the extremely vulnerable (or shielding) list. Neil (and @ianpspurs) are on the extremely vulnerable list. It doesn't help that some conditions are on both lists but what has happened is they did the vulnerable list first then obviously decided there are conditions on here that are even higher risk hence the 2nd list. The main difference is that the vulnerable list they'd prefer us to stay home but, if we must go out, then take precautions - social distancing, hand washing, minimise trips etc. The extreme list - just stay home - don't go out. This is the group that should get priority on the delivery slots. The situation should get better when the volunteers are fully mobilised in England but I still haven't found the Scottish site! The links take you off in 3 directions none of which give info on the volunteers. Personally, I'm sticking to the local community groups. I've got fruit, veg, milk and bread organised now and I've just phoned another butcher meat order. The local farm shop has most other things and they are delivering too plus as @DCUKMod said they'll bring your order out to your car and put it in the boot if you let them know.
B. Yesterday - TAG - 2 slices skinny bread with Philadelphia and mortadella.
L. Nothing - gums were still acting up and feeling a bit queasy. Hopefully Corsodyl will improve matters soon.
D. Thai green curry pork chop with lettuce, tomato and avocado.
Lots of water.
Hug for the gum issue and thanks for the compliment on the kitchen equipment and cooking .They only need to be functional in the hands of an idiot and provide enough nutrition to survive (flourish is plain greedy) so looks don't come into it. C21st UK is all about the optics and soundbites . So far today TWAM and a CWC. I made Julie tea, a latte type coffee and left banana and grapes outside her door - just to stick loosely to the topic. If I ever climb the boxes mountain I may have a go at skinny bread myself but that really is not mission critical -waking up at home and moving around enough to help Julie is fine by me. Hope the gums are better today.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I hope everyone and their loved ones are keeping well or feeling better.

Shock!! Mr C is on furlough from tomorrow for an initial four weeks which will almost certainly be extended (although hopefully not). Should be interesting with him home 24/7 when its not a holiday. I'm trying to work out a menu with meals that we both will enjoy eating. Apart from weekends we normally eat very different meals at different times of the day.

Food today

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (raspberry flavour)

Lunch: Smashed avocado on Burgen toast with Tabasco and lime juice mixed in and a chopped tomato on top

Dinner: half a fennel finely sliced then fried in butter with pesto, butter beans and wilted spinach (using up leftovers).

Stay well x