What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After all I said yesterday about making something with cauliflower rice and not using the spam. By evening, I just didn't feel like cooking anything so - bright idea :happy: there's a tin of Spam in the cupboard. Not so bright! It actually tasted worse than I had remembered, more like the luncheon meat memory. The major flavour to me was sawdust and not much else. It went into the bin and I went without. :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Neil put something in the bin later and saw the Spam - and couldn't help commenting. His initial impression vindicated!:spam::spam::spam:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had to break off - my pharmacy delivery arrived. Sufficient medicines for the next couple of weeks anyway.

This morning I just had some RyVita and cheese for breakfast - not ideal, but I was boiling a ham and the big pot was taking up all the cooking space. I really have to get the cooking area sorted out - it's all bits and pieces of equipment at present and I've been waiting for Neil to fix it for years - literally - so that I can get a new hob and space to store all the other bits (bread-maker, air fryer, grill etc).

Tonight, I imagine, will be ham and salad of some sort, or maybe with fried cabbage - that sounds more appetising.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! I tried SPAM a while back. Main memory was ‘disappointing’ and ‘salty’ and ‘heck, what do I do with the second tin I foolishly bought?’ Ended up having it finely diced in scram egg. Enjoyed it there, with fresh chillies.

Haven’t posted food for a few days. Been a bit off kilter and waiting till I got back on open keel.

A couple of days ago had a wobble (long story short) SIL lost a close friend resident in a care home to COVID-19.
Horrendous for her, and v upsetting for me. More so for her friend, of course, who was neither treated nor hospitalised, and was basically left to die with no family able to be there for him. My upset was partly due to acknowledging the precarious situation of my older family members, should they become ill.

anyway, cue a comfort eating Fray Bentos suet pudding carb fest. I kid you not! Even selected something with gluten in it, for max self destruction! :rolleyes: Have to say, no interest in ever repeating the experience. No idea what Mr B sees in them!

other days, other meals:
Pulled pork
Egg
Sausage and egg
Cheesy mince
Stew with red wine
The most gorgeous lamb kebab
Oh, and some Lindt :D

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes my husband had this information too. His last delivery of eggs from a local supplier came loose in a shallow tray.

In foreign climes, if you buy eggs from anywhere that isn't one of the bis supermarket chains, they are sold in polythene bags. Their packaging methods are quite astonishing really, but it seems to work.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've been getting eggs from an allotmenteer who keeps chooks, he turns up with them in a carrier bag as, apparently, he is completely unable to get egg trays or egg boxes from his chook feed supplier. He's been giving his girls more grit and shell in their diet so the eggs can withstand rougher handling. I think he must have changed their feed completely because the yolks are dark orange.

The shells on freerange eggs are usually a bit tougher because of the grit the girls take in when they're scratching around and not on just commercial chicken feed.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil was somewhat indignant to receive a letter today from Tesco as a person who should be shielded. Indignant that NHS Scotland has seen fit to impart data about him to all and sundry! But he accepted that it is a fait accomplit and he might as well use the service. The letter also says he will receive, free, a box of groceries. Interesting. So now he will have to get in touch with Tesco and see if they can offer a delivery slot sometime.

I just tasted the ham - it has cooled down pretty well now - it is tasty. So it's not my taste buds at fault - it's the food. So, it will definitely be ham and fried cabbage tonight.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb I was interested in your “homemade” soda maker. Mine arrived at last and I am very underwhelmed by the look of it. It is the most fragile brittle plastic as is the bottle that comes with it! Considering the starter pack plus one spare gas cost me just shy of £100 someone is making A LOT of money out of this. Will try it out for my gin this evening. Leaflet says you can only use the bottles they sell £10 for a bit of brittle plastic though dont see why. I thought the casing would be robust like an electric kettle or coffee maker.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Still behind but will try and get back to regular posting here.

Today has been an odd day of food. For reasons unfathomable I bought a sachet of sugar free jelly on impulse in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago. Haven’t eaten that in well over 18 months. Made it up with cream as well as water yesterday and have eaten about half of it today, with some added cream.

The one official meal of the day was some delicious slow roasted pork belly, complete with crackling. That’s more like it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb I was interested in your “homemade” soda maker. Mine arrived at last and I am very underwhelmed by the look of it. It is the most fragile brittle plastic as is the bottle that comes with it! Considering the starter pack plus one spare gas cost me just shy of £100 someone is making A LOT of money out of this. Will try it out for my gin this evening. Leaflet says you can only use the bottles they sell £10 for a bit of brittle plastic though dont see why. I thought the casing would be robust like an electric kettle or coffee maker.

I'll be interested too.

Having looked at, and decided against soda streams, I have considered a good old fashioned soda syphon for soda, water, but haven't acted upon it yet.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Felt like summer out there today - almost hot especially walking back up hill from town where went first thing to get a few items needed. Online delivery arriving in morning crossing fingers ......
No breakfast off to town
Lunch cheese, celery and a few walnuts
Dinner chicken breast wrapped and cooked in streaky bacon served with celeriac chips, asparagus and mushrooms in cream sauce plus glass of white wine followed by lc lemon mousse.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No soda stream here today @PenguinMum but I’m glad yours arrived at last, even if it was a bit disappointing. Maybe mine will get here late next week. At least you can now enjoy a gin and soda over Easter. @Annb Neil is an absolute marvel to be able to do that sort of thing.
Today’s food was black coffee all morning.
Bit of cheddar in between shopping trips for different folk.
Lunch LoDough wrap with cream cheese and smoked salmon then salted caramel DGF blondie
Dinner: DD tuna bake ( casserole!) then DGF brownie, warm with extra thick cream. @maglil55 these aren’t going to make it to the freezer either!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll be interested too.

Having looked at, and decided against soda streams, I have considered a good old fashioned soda syphon for soda, water, but haven't acted upon it yet.

The good, old fashioned ones are very robust and work very well. The only problem is in getting replacement parts (gaskets, plastic pipes etc). They are available though. Neil's bits and pieces came from Ebay but there are other, complete ones to be found there.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No soda stream here today @PenguinMum but I’m glad yours arrived at last, even if it was a bit disappointing. Maybe mine will get here late next week. At least you can now enjoy a gin and soda over Easter. @Annb Neil is an absolute marvel to be able to do that sort of thing.
Today’s food was black coffee all morning.
Bit of cheddar in between shopping trips for different folk.
Lunch LoDough wrap with cream cheese and smoked salmon then salted caramel DGF blondie
Dinner: DD tuna bake ( casserole!) then DGF brownie, warm with extra thick cream. @maglil55 these aren’t going to make it to the freezer either!

Yes, Neil is a wonder. Difficult to deal with sometimes, but a very practical genius. (tested to have an IQ in the top 1% when he was 6!) Not that he has ever done anything much with his intelligence - which is the second prerequisite of having that intelligence. Such is life.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Birthday cake phd bar
Late Lunch: Cheese cubes and piri piri snacks followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and berry and almond paleo granola.
Dinner: Cold roast chicken drumsticks, leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
10-04-2020
Breakfast nut granola and CWC scrambled egg with butter.
Lunch, ham, salad, seeded baguette( what the heck)
Dinner salmon pavé cabbage, carrots, brocolli and one piece of potato, hollandaise sauce. Large glass of wine. Before going outside to record ourselves singing happy birthday in french. Am ha ing attack of the munchies, obviously stress related. So confession time. I have eaten whole bar of chocolate. Several of MrSlims biscuits, few walnuts, a raw carrot and some cheese. Not in that order though, some before and some after dinner.
Has anyone got low carb cookie/ cake recipes? Quick and easy ones.
@Chook salmon Pavé is the french version of the little slices of salmon fillet you get in UK. Only these were huge, so half each.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Found this one a while ago - any use?

BANANA COOKIES

Ingredients

1 ripe banana (mashed)
1/2 cup oat flakes
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 350F (180C) or a bit lower if using a fan oven – maybe 325F (170C).

Mash the ripe banana. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt.

Add mash to the dry ingredients.

Drop the tablespoons of the dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes

Cool on a wire rack

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil was somewhat indignant to receive a letter today from Tesco as a person who should be shielded. Indignant that NHS Scotland has seen fit to impart data about him to all and sundry! But he accepted that it is a fait accomplit and he might as well use the service. The letter also says he will receive, free, a box of groceries. Interesting. So now he will have to get in touch with Tesco and see if they can offer a delivery slot sometime.

I just tasted the ham - it has cooled down pretty well now - it is tasty. So it's not my taste buds at fault - it's the food. So, it will definitely be ham and fried cabbage tonight.

I didn't read Neil's letter and misunderstood its contents. It was from NHS Scotland and said he is on the list but he has to make contact with the council and he will be able to get food packages (nothing there he wants) and to tell Tesco that he needs delivery slots. So it's not as bad as he thought, in terms of security, as he indicated. Not sure if he will be willing to let Tesco know he is here. I'll try to persuade him but he can be very stubborn.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone got low carb cookie/ cake recipes? Quick and easy ones

Here are some screenshots with a few. The first 3 are for lemon cakes posted by another member. I adapted the frosting and used a recipe for that provided by @maglil55 then there are almond butter squares, chocolate olive oil cake and cream cheese brownies (good with or without the cream cheese).

CE1BE5A8-5B5F-42B2-ADDE-1CA4E214120D.jpeg
C83F5B52-9FEC-452B-A1CB-FD3F01AEE665.jpeg
EE4EC886-7075-4548-B2EE-B2FEC1143DDE.jpeg
C62E45B8-109D-4ABA-AF11-FD0042FA4AD7.png
F776730D-3BF5-4D98-9D68-40A222A1C577.jpeg
4C94147D-039B-413E-9943-82F6359BC32E.png

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
G'morning - beautiful day!

today's food

Breakfast: chaffle, fried eggs x 2, mushrooms and 100g baked beans

Lunch: Won't be needed

Dinner: Mr C has taken over the kitchen! I think its going to be more but different curries or something spicy - whatever it is involves butter beans, chillies and a variety of veg. He's got unsmoked haddock fillets defrosting to have with his meal.