What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found this one a while ago - any use?

BANANA COOKIES

Ingredients

1 ripe banana (mashed)
1/2 cup oat flakes
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 350F (180C) or a bit lower if using a fan oven – maybe 325F (170C).

Mash the ripe banana. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt.

Add mash to the dry ingredients.

Drop the tablespoons of the dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes

Cool on a wire rack
I'm wondering if it would work with oat fibre or almond flour?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10-04-2020
Breakfast nut granola and CWC scrambled egg with butter.
Lunch, ham, salad, seeded baguette( what the heck)
Dinner salmon pavé cabbage, carrots, brocolli and one piece of potato, hollandaise sauce. Large glass of wine. Before going outside to record ourselves singing happy birthday in french. Am ha ing attack of the munchies, obviously stress related. So confession time. I have eaten whole bar of chocolate. Several of MrSlims biscuits, few walnuts, a raw carrot and some cheese. Not in that order though, some before and some after dinner.
Has anyone got low carb cookie/ cake recipes? Quick and easy ones.
@Chook salmon Pavé is the french version of the little slices of salmon fillet you get in UK. Only these were huge, so half each.
I've got quite a few

joyfilledeats.com/blueberry-danish/

northernnester.com/cinnamon-roll-cake/

ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/keto-chocolate-chip-mint-cookies

www.ruled.me/keto-gingersnap-cookies/

www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-lemon-coconut-cake/

recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/traditional-coffee-cake/

The cinnamon one (second link) is really easy.

Reactions: Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Worth a try anyway, but I suppose it depends on the turnip - white or swede. White should work not so sure about the swede.
I managed to get celeriac yesterday. Will try Swede another day.

Reactions: Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday bed 5.4 FBG 4.2. Got the Morrisons message first thing and quite a few missing items this time but mostly of son's order. So, got myself ready, quick coffee and off to Tesco for the elderly and vulnerable hour. Imagine my surprise when I saw the queue was all the way around the carpark!! Turned out there were two queues - one for the vulnerable (only took a matter of minutes to get in) the other massive queue were those not in the group and would have to stand in that queue until at least 10am? Who in their right mind would choose to stand in a queue that size for over an hour then even longer waiting to get in. A number of them had quite a few children with them. Anyway, I was in and out in 30 mins and I got absolutely everything that had been on the lists. Went straight to son's with his bags then Morrisons arrived early with my order. Having checked if I had another slot booked they decided to leave me with the shopping in their crates and on the next delivery they'll take the empty crates away and leave me with another load that I can take my time unpacking. I suspect it's easier due to the size of the order for two households. Got all the shopping sorted and along to son's house then back indoors again. Also had a butcher's delivery so plenty to choose from.
B. TAG then off to Tesco
L. Eventually once I'd delivered shopping - slice GF black pudding, 4 rashers crispy streaky bacon, fried egg and 4 santini tomatoes.
D. Kung po chicken with bits of baby corn, mange tout, onion, mushroom, green pepper in it and Lidl high protein noodles. Yet another DGF lemon and blueberry AND a chocolate and hazelnut.

@Annb - Neil is indeed clever with sorting things. I do hope you manage to persuade him to take up the priority for delivery slots although you seem to be fine with your current Mrs V arrangement. You're right about the box. It's fine if you have no dietary issues but regrettably most on the shielding list do have dietary requirements. We still have neighbours on our street that still haven't had their shielding letter and they're not the only ones.
Anyone with any bright ideas on this - for ages I have been waiting for Hubby to do a number of small jobs. One was to fix up the under unit lights in the kitchen. There were 2 where the fixings broke. My bright idea was to get heavy duty velcro. It's worked great with the smaller light but it still isn't strong enough to support one very long strip light. What we need is something half moon shaped that we can screw to the underside of the cabinet at either side to support the light. Any ideas?

By the way, I feel normal again! Whatever normal is.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yesterday bed 5.4 FBG 4.2. Got the Morrisons message first thing and quite a few missing items this time but mostly of son's order. So, got myself ready, quick coffee and off to Tesco for the elderly and vulnerable hour. Imagine my surprise when I saw the queue was all the way around the carpark!! Turned out there were two queues - one for the vulnerable (only took a matter of minutes to get in) the other massive queue were those not in the group and would have to stand in that queue until at least 10am? Who in their right mind would choose to stand in a queue that size for over an hour then even longer waiting to get in. A number of them had quite a few children with them. Anyway, I was in and out in 30 mins and I got absolutely everything that had been on the lists. Went straight to son's with his bags then Morrisons arrived early with my order. Having checked if I had another slot booked they decided to leave me with the shopping in their crates and on the next delivery they'll take the empty crates away and leave me with another load that I can take my time unpacking. I suspect it's easier due to the size of the order for two households. Got all the shopping sorted and along to son's house then back indoors again. Also had a butcher's delivery so plenty to choose from.
B. TAG then off to Tesco
L. Eventually once I'd delivered shopping - slice GF black pudding, 4 rashers crispy streaky bacon, fried egg and 4 santini tomatoes.
D. Kung po chicken with bits of baby corn, mange tout, onion, mushroom, green pepper in it and Lidl high protein noodles. Yet another DGF lemon and blueberry AND a chocolate and hazelnut.

@Annb - Neil is indeed clever with sorting things. I do hope you manage to persuade him to take up the priority for delivery slots although you seem to be fine with your current Mrs V arrangement. You're right about the box. It's fine if you have no dietary issues but regrettably most on the shielding list do have dietary requirements. We still have neighbours on our street that still haven't had their shielding letter and they're not the only ones.
Anyone with any bright ideas on this - for ages I have been waiting for Hubby to do a number of small jobs. One was to fix up the under unit lights in the kitchen. There were 2 where the fixings broke. My bright idea was to get heavy duty velcro. It's worked great with the smaller light but it still isn't strong enough to support one very long strip light. What we need is something half moon shaped that we can screw to the underside of the cabinet at either side to support the light. Any ideas?

Congratulations on feeling normal x

Mr C's idea for your lights is little U shaped brackets used for screwing large electrlcal cables to a wall. Normally available in B&Q but probably available in any good hardware shop. Comes in various sizes.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if it would work with oat fibre or almond flour?

I think it should. I was thinking of trying it with some ground up hazelnuts (can't use almonds) but then realised that I don't have any bananas - since Em isn't coming, I am buying much less fruit and left bananas off my list. Might try it with apple but would have to make some adjustments to make it hold together. I deserve something - I've spent all day so far sorting out paperwork, dumping stuff I would never have dumped in the past (but I'm being very strict with myself - it's a matter of survival; I could just drown under the sea of papers in this place).

Breakfast was fried tomato, fried ham and 2 fried eggs.

Dinner will be smoked mackerel, possibly with cauliflower rice (if I can be bothered by then and the tiredness hasn't kicked in).

Just thought, somewhere I have a recipe from Jamie Oliver - apple crumble cookies. Can't remember what's in it, apart from apples and oats. Must check that out.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mr C's idea for your lights is little U shaped brackets used for screwing large electrlcal cables to a wall. Normally available in B&Q but probably available in any good hardware shop. Comes in various sizes.
We'd come to a similar conclusion. There are plenty fixings online - just trying to find 2 - 45mm wide x 25 mm deep.

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Found something that might work. Cable tray stand off brackets. Tiny bit bigger than we wanted but only £1.20 for 2 brackets. I found myself munching a DGF Millionaire Shortbread while I searched! Thanks Mr C for giving me the idea what to search for.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Glad you’re feeling better @maglil55
@DCUKMod I feel a Monday trip to Lidl for the air fryer with a taxi home coming on :D

Good day eating wise here. Lunch was carnivore pizza (cheese, cream cheese and ground pork crackling base) topped with more cheese, chorizo and Polish sausage. Followed by sugar free jelly and cream.

Dinner was chicken wings coated in ground pork crunch, Parmesan and salt and air fried. Followed by more sugar free jelly, about 15 mls cream (dregs of pot) and 1 broken up square of Lindt 90%.

Bought a treat from the butcher for tomorrow’s lunch :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. TAG then off to Tesco

Have a google of 3M Scotch 4950 VHB Tape. Allegedly it'll hold 45lbs. There are various widths.

(Glad you're feeling good today. You've really been through the mill.)

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning black coffee x4
Lunch: scrambled eggs, grated cheese and bacon on fried LoDough ( does anyone else here still use LoDough? The greaseproof dividing circles are really good for lining cake/ baking tins. I used to chuck them away)
Dinner: DD Keto meat pie with spinach. What possessed me to make a meat pie on such a hot day? 2 glasses red.
Off for a Zoom quiz this evening like most of the rest of the country I expect. Good luck all.
@maglil55 so glad you are feeling better.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely day including as it did a surprise parcel from a thoughtful friend of montezumas peanut butter 100% choc eggs - yummy - plus postie also brought a clenil inhaler that I sourced privately as was struggling to get from pharmacy - will be great for oldest son to have as a back up for in case next nhs prescription delayed - he needs two preventative inhalers per month so if a nearly three week delay like we’ve just had will help stop the anxiety and his asthma getting worse!
Mum still hobbling around and says her foot is black and blue but also says it’s slightly improved and def no worse so that’s good to hear. She also seems to have hit it off with her Age UK befriender who is going to ring her twice a week. Good to have another person keeping an eye on her. Know they’ll be in touch with me if concerned - so takes some stress off.
Internet shop arrived too and all good substitutes provided
Combined my exercise with jobs today - scrubbing down our decking and shed in preparation for treatment once they arrive - decking oil and shed paint ordered but will take a few weeks to arrive ( clearly everyone has same idea but can only be bought online from a few places) - should be dried off by then!
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch celery, a couple of Black Russian tomatoes and cheeses with a few lc seeded crackers followed by one montezumas peanut butter egg
Dinner beef curry with riata ( using first mint from garden) with chaffle followed by lc raspberry and lemon cake and cream.
Happy Easter all

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar
Late Lunch: cold roast chicken drumstick Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and berry and almond paleo granola

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it should. I was thinking of trying it with some ground up hazelnuts (can't use almonds) but then realised that I don't have any bananas - since Em isn't coming, I am buying much less fruit and left bananas off my list. Might try it with apple but would have to make some adjustments to make it hold together. I deserve something - I've spent all day so far sorting out paperwork, dumping stuff I would never have dumped in the past (but I'm being very strict with myself - it's a matter of survival; I could just drown under the sea of papers in this place).

Breakfast was fried tomato, fried ham and 2 fried eggs.

Dinner will be smoked mackerel, possibly with cauliflower rice (if I can be bothered by then and the tiredness hasn't kicked in).

Just thought, somewhere I have a recipe from Jamie Oliver - apple crumble cookies. Can't remember what's in it, apart from apples and oats. Must check that out.

The Jamie Oliver recipe had 200 g flour and sugar. No use! Tried something with hazelnuts, apple, egg and flax seed flour. Baked at 180C for 20 minutes. They were OK, very nutty of course. No evidence of the apple at all and I went and forgot salt. They were not even remotely sweet but made a very nice savoury snack, with some butter and bits of tomato. Had them in the afternoon and didn't need anything else this evening. Worth trying again, with some salt.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
11-04-2020
A big thank you to all who offered recipes. Think the lemon and coconut cake will be first, purely because I have all the ingredients already.
Might help to keep me on the straight and narrow. Although still anxious am feeling more calm this evening. Gardening is good for that.
So. Today.
Breakfast nut granola. Scrambled eggs with a dollop of hollandaise left from last night. CWC.
Lunch avocado.hard boiled eggs and more hollandaise, salad ( no tomatoes-we have only a few left) yoghurt and raspberries. Tea . Extra cup of tea.
MrSlim opened a bottle of fizz. We sat in the garden, drinking, watching the sunset. Snacked on chunks of cheese.
Dinner. Chicken burgers. Homemade pepper sauce, green beans. Cauliflower rice for me.
Tea in the evening.
Most of the day out in the garden. Watered and then mulched the potates. Had to rake up the grass cuttings to get enough for mulch. Repotted some small plants. Put four cucumber seedlings into the ground. They look ridiculously tiny, but the packet insists Plant out no later than 10 days after germination. After spending ages walking round and changing my mind several times now have a tentative planting plan. If not enough space to put everything. Better get out the spade and start digging again Lizzy. The seedling nursery at the front of tbe house is expanding rapidly now as some move into larger pots. MrSlim thinks it looks untidy and would like it all moved. Not sure where to though. Ofc it will be moved, just not yet. its a temporary nursery., three maybe four werks and most of it will be gone. Tomatoes are to stay in pots though. Last year they got some kind of virus from the soil. The stems went black and most of the fruit started rotting on the vine. We had to pull them out and burn them. I might keep the aubergine in a pot as well. Plan to offer surplus plants to the neighbours.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.4 FBG was also 5.4. @shelley262 - glad to hear your Mum is improving and it must be such a comfort to have AgeUK keeping an eye on her. @Brunneria - my brother absolutely loved Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney puddings. Me, I loved the pies. There was just something about the odd pastry. It tasted almost cheesy and I loved the underneath bit that always stayed soft. Ah the memories. Believe me everyone, there is no one more pleased than me that I finally feel normal again. I was beginning to doubt it would ever happen. @Goonergal - you and me both will be heading to Lidl on Monday in search of that air fryer. I also need more of their high protein noodles, Hubby really likes their sealed potato packs and I guess I'd better get a chicken since Hubby is looking forward to a rotisserie cooked chook!
B. TAG
L. Slice GF Black pudding, 2 slices streaky bacon, 4 santini tomatoes and a fried egg.
D. Pork Calzone - basically a pork chop stuffed in the middle with chopped tomato and some mozzarella, held together with cocktail sticks, a bit more tomato on top oh and chilli, more cheese , Italian herbs and cooked in the oven. Mini cob, couple of mushrooms and sweet potato chips. The last DGF chocolate and hazelnut. Need to order more.

Butcher cut me a nice middle gigot of lamb for tomorrow. Anyone see the contortionist on Britains Got Talent? It was an ewww moment.

Reactions: Chook and Annb
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Steak sandwich.
Dinner: Corned brisket, veggies, mustard sauce.

Drinks; Black coffee / tea no sugars, water.

Gunna catch up with the family in West Oz later on today with Zoom, and have a chat for a hour.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

A hungry day today, but I refused to give in! (Til 7pm)

B: none, followed by a small lc hot choc
L: small portion of the mince with a blob of tomato sauce on top
D: a new batch of stew, this one with GARLIC, chilli and halloumi fries, followed by goatsmilk yog with peanut butter.

far too big portions for dinner, but I coped. :D

Lots of gardening, which I did early when it was still cool. Very pleased. My big potted palm was tilted and spun/rolled about half the length of our v small garden by the heroic Mr B, who got stabbed repeatedly by it, leaving a lovely gap for my new dwarf rhododendron which has the fattest most pregnant buds. The are about to burst into glorious colour. Will post pics when they explode.

Also weeding, organic greenfly spray and general tidying. Well chuffed.

black spot on the Peace rose though. :( so that is tomorrow’s task. Plus checking the dahlia and begonia tubours. The cannas are already 2 feet high. The tropical effect will be strong this year.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Morning black coffee x4
Lunch: scrambled eggs, grated cheese and bacon on fried LoDough ( does anyone else here still use LoDough? The greaseproof dividing circles are really good for lining cake/ baking tins. I used to chuck them away)
Dinner: DD Keto meat pie with spinach. What possessed me to make a meat pie on such a hot day? 2 glasses red.
Off for a Zoom quiz this evening like most of the rest of the country I expect. Good luck all.
@maglil55 so glad you are feeling better.

I've never had lodough - what is it like? Is it expensive and is it worth it? :)