What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Curry and yoghurt for breakfast. Still have a fair amount left so that will go in the freezer along with the shepherd's pie filling for use some time in the future.

I'll roast some chicken wings in the oven later. I've tried the air fryer a few times now for different things, but I don't think it produces results like the oven does. I think I may just put it away somewhere and gain a little space on the worktop.

Someone from the local council phoned this morning and said that Neil is on their list to receive food parcels if we would accept them. I agreed because there may be things in there that we can use (not betting on it, but we can look and see). I told Neil about that a few minutes ago and he didn't say anything but looked askance (he has a very expressive face - got into trouble at school for that, when he brought the house down by raising one eyebrow in a very peculiar fashion during a production of Iolanthe - lots of girls in the audience squealed with pleasure) and shrugged. We can only try and can ask them to desist thereafter, if we want to.

Also managed to get a small supply online of Neil's brand of soya milk. That arrived yesterday - it was a trial run because I wasn't sure they would be able to send it to us. Went online to try to order more in the afternoon but it was out of stock. Am about to try to order tins of mackerel in brine or sardines in brine - both of these are getting difficult to get hold of in the supermarkets here.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@SlimLizzy - Best wishes to Mr Slim for his first day. Hugs for the rat close encounter (I hate them too)

@maglil55 - Could you do a rough outline of a timetable of how / when the virus impacted you, if you don't mind and get a moment. I have a young single Mum further along my road whose in an on and off bad way and can't work out if she's got it or not. I suggested she phones 111 but she's not keen on that idea. (I've never got on with Cafe Hag - it gives me a funny lingering aftertaste.)

@DCUKMod - thanks for the heads up - I will definitely increase my Vit D.

@Brunneria - Good luck in your fight with the slugs. We always slug pellet our garden and the little... blighters.... still manage to get to the plants.

Beautiful sunny day here and the entire road seems to have gone DIY mad!! Next door is sledge hammering his front door step (haven't asked why), the young family opposite seem to be gutting their kitchen, and there is all kinds of crashes and bangs coming from every direction! Mr C has gone on a foraging mission for decent olive oil - last heard from heading towards central Doncaster (10 miles away!)

Food today:

Breakfast: usual omelette with no carb syrup - raspberry this time
Lunch: Actimel and (hopefully) some strawberries if Mr C remembers to get them
Dinner: Oumph! (sort of fake pulled meat with a rather nice slightly hot and tangy sauce) wrapped (for me) in romaine lettuce (Mr C in normal wraps), with grated cheese, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and chopped red onion
Dessert: probably strawberries (if there is any) dipped in melted cheese - failing that, just the chocolate (unmelted)

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy - Best wishes to Mr Slim for his first day. Hugs for the rat close encounter (I hate them too)

@maglil55 - Could you do a rough outline of a timetable of how / when the virus impacted you, if you don't mind and get a moment. I have a young single Mum further along my road whose in an on and off bad way and can't work out if she's got it or not. I suggested she phones 111 but she's not keen on that idea. (I've never got on with Cafe Hag - it gives me a funny lingering aftertaste.)

@DCUKMod - thanks for the heads up - I will definitely increase my Vit D.

@Brunneria - Good luck in your fight with the slugs. We always slug pellet our garden and the little... blighters.... still manage to get to the plants.

Beautiful sunny day here and the entire road seems to have gone DIY mad!! Next door is sledge hammering his front door step (haven't asked why), the young family opposite seem to be gutting their kitchen, and there is all kinds of crashes and bangs coming from every direction! Mr C has gone on a foraging mission for decent olive oil - last heard from heading towards central Doncaster (10 miles away!)

Food today:

Breakfast: usual omelette with no carb syrup - raspberry this time
Lunch: Actimel and (hopefully) some strawberries if Mr C remembers to get them
Dinner: Oumph! (sort of fake pulled meat with a rather nice slightly hot and tangy sauce) wrapped (for me) in romaine lettuce (Mr C in normal wraps), with grated cheese, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and chopped red onion
Dessert: probably strawberries (if there is any) dipped in melted cheese - failing that, just the chocolate (unmelted)

Strawberries in melted cheese? That's not something I have encountered, so which cheese do you use?

I'm not a massive fan of mixing properly sweet and properly savoury tastes together so never did like apple sauce with pork, or peach/pineapple with gammon, for examples, but it might appeal to his lordship.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy - glad to hear Mr Slim has got settled but Eeek for your encounter with the rat. The housing estates a few miles up the hill are having rat issues thanks to them dumping rubbish on the streets. There's also been an increase in fly tipping. We had a mouse (note had!!) But it seems only one. Thankfully we still had sealed traps available. @DJC3 - Great Ac1 figures and thanks to you and @ shelley262 for the zoom feedback. @Annb - how are your BGs now? @Chook - I did have a laugh at the green yolks. I remember an experiment with raw eggs where I think you soak the raw egg in it's shell in vinegar for 24 hrs (I think) and it turns the egg into something that bounces but it's still raw in the middle (it does something to the membrane). Not something I want to do with the grandsons currently as eggs are still in short supply.
Monday bed 5.1 FBG 5
B. TAG 2 slices mortadella wrapped around a Dairylea triangle.
L. TAG and one of these choc mint cookies
D. Finished off yesterday's stroganoff with more celeriac chips done in the air fryer basket. 2 squares 85%. A wee prosecco.

Yesterday - Tuesday bed 6 FBG 5.5

Son wanted a trip to LIDL (still 1 Air Fryer remaining) later today. Amused myself by catching up on ironing. The weather is still glorious.

B. TAG and mortadella wrapped around 1 Dairylea triangle.
L. Nothing.
D. Made kebabs for the air fryer. Used 1 rib eye which was cubed and soaked in a mix of olive oil, tamari soy, garlic, cumin powder, salt & pepper. After they soaked a while I made up the skewers with shallots, red and yellow pepper, mushroom and the beef. The veggies were oiled and seasoned. The skewers are smaller than I normally make but only take 10 - 12 mins at 200C. One thing to watch is to make sure your veggies are skewered the right way around within the discs that hold the skewer in place. If they hang down it stops it rotating. Took me a few mins to make sure everything was right. I had my kebabs with santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and a little lettuce. I also had a wee prosecco and later one of the creme brulees with a few raspberries and a wonderful inulin top which I really caramelised!

Reactions: Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
[

Pardon me for jumping in here. I know you were posting directly to Maglil55. It seems to me that no 2 people have the same symptoms with the virus that may or may not be covid19. It also seems to me that, unless someone has difficulty breathing, they will be told to stay home and take paracetemol. They will not be tested. The most frequent complaint I have heard of is exhaustion - added to other symptoms which may, or may not, include a cough or a high temperature.

Em had a high temperature, which passed quite quickly and no other obvious symptoms - a little bit chesty, but she often is.

DIL had a slightly high temperature for a short time, a bit of a cough but was very, very tired for a couple of weeks.

I had a highish temperature, briefly - just a few hours getting hot and bothered, then feeling cold (checked my BG in case it was dropping low - it wasn't). Then an irritated chest and throat. Then very tired - had to divide my time between bed and the big kitchen chair for a few days. Then felt breathless, but only felt it - I could breath; just not getting enough oxygen in my breaths. Still have that, after about 3+ weeks from that start of it.

Neil had a bit of a cough and felt a bit more than normal discomfort in his chest - also had a bit of a temperature, briefly. Difficult for him to tell - he has a condition which causes discomfort in his chest and is on steroids to try to cure it. He's still a bit under the weather and feels very tired a lot of the time.

Was any of this covid 19? Who knows? We don't. We didn't ask for medical advice.

The young mother that you know will be in a different situation to us - she has a child to think of and maybe she should phone NHS 24 to ask their advice whether she really wants to or not. Children are resilient but some do seem to suffer pretty badly. Of course, if it gets worse, or her child shows symptoms, she should definitely ask for medical help.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@DJC3 keep forgetting to congratulate you on your excellent A1c. Worth celebrating I think. Thanks for tips on roasting brocolli but after giving the purple stuff three chances I’m done with it. @SlimLizzy hug for the early days of separation, sounds like you are keeping busy. Horror about the rat. One of my cats is bring live mice in like billyo and I have to lock her out most of the time. Last Sunday a very fast mouse escaped in the house and we couldnt find it. Many hours later before bed I wondered why the cat was fixated by the patio door curtain. Mouse had got in between curtain and lining and must have snoozed but we were able to get it out the door and went to bed relieved.
@shelley262 the walk in the forest with your son sounded great and am sure did you both a power of good. Hugs for all those still unwell.
Todays breakfast was slice HiLo toast, lots of tea.
Lunch was h/m egg mayo little gem and cucumber.
Supper is a mystery but as Mr PM is having sausages & mash mine is likely to be sausages with fried mushrooms to use them up.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Strawberries in melted cheese? That's not something I have encountered, so which cheese do you use?

I'm not a massive fan of mixing properly sweet and properly savoury tastes together so never did like apple sauce with pork, or peach/pineapple with gammon, for examples, but it might appeal to his lordship.

D'oh sorry, typo or auto correction, should have been strawberries in melted chocolate! Having said that I did once have a meal out of a salad with soft goats cheese and strawberries (with lettuce and all the usual stuff) it was.... okay-ish. I've had worse.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pardon me for jumping in here. I know you were posting directly to Maglil55. It seems to me that no 2 people have the same symptoms with the virus that may or may not be covid19. It also seems to me that, unless someone has difficulty breathing, they will be told to stay home and take paracetemol. They will not be tested. The most frequent complaint I have heard of is exhaustion - added to other symptoms which may, or may not, include a cough or a high temperature.

Em had a high temperature, which passed quite quickly and no other obvious symptoms - a little bit chesty, but she often is.

DIL had a slightly high temperature for a short time, a bit of a cough but was very, very tired for a couple of weeks.

I had a highish temperature, briefly - just a few hours getting hot and bothered, then feeling cold (checked my BG in case it was dropping low - it wasn't). Then an irritated chest and throat. Then very tired - had to divide my time between bed and the big kitchen chair for a few days. Then felt breathless, but only felt it - I could breath; just not getting enough oxygen in my breaths. Still have that, after about 3+ weeks from that start of it.

Neil had a bit of a cough and felt a bit more than normal discomfort in his chest - also had a bit of a temperature, briefly. Difficult for him to tell - he has a condition which causes discomfort in his chest and is on steroids to try to cure it. He's still a bit under the weather and feels very tired a lot of the time.

Was any of this covid 19? Who knows? We don't. We didn't ask for medical advice.

The young mother that you know will be in a different situation to us - she has a child to think of and maybe she should phone NHS 24 to ask their advice whether she really wants to or not. Children are resilient but some do seem to suffer pretty badly. Of course, if it gets worse, or her child shows symptoms, she should definitely ask for medical help.

The young Mum and I are both members of a WhatsApp group that a neighbour set up for the people in this road at the beginning of this awfulness. Other people in the group suggested she phone for advice and she did. They are sending an ambulance to check her out. She usually has asthma which is why they are sending an ambulance.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was the LC creme brulee which is pretty similar to the custards. I have a feeling it was @shelley262 that did the large custard but I may be wrong. I'm a wee bit behind again.
I'm feeling not too bad. Still a bit "off" but at least I solved the persistent niggling throat. I spray my reusable N95 face mask with Dettol. I've been leaving it too late when I have to go out and I've been inhaling Dettol! No bacteria now lives in my throat . I'm now sanitizing it when I come home rather than when I go out.
Glad you’re feeling ‘not too bad’ but that dettol must have really irritated your throat.
The custards are very similar to your creme brûlée but less faff as whole eggs are used. I learnt 2 things with this latest batch: 1) use medium eggs rather than large ( large ones give a more eggy taste and make too much mixture so the pots are overfilled) 2) monkfruit is loads better than erythritol ( to my taste) for sweetening them.
I will be making more as it appears I’ve eaten them all and nobody else got one. Lol.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My loading dose, when diagnosed as deficient (21 from 100 in a few months - ooops) was 20,000ug twice a day for 10 weeks, then I was recommended 400ug a day. I do 4,000ug routinely, but double that for now.

Based on the 4000ug a day, my levels travel at around the 100 mark. Vitamin D council suggest 125 or 130 as about right, but 100-150 is the acceptable range in my world.

If you are going to take some, please ensure you have D3, plus K2 for optimal impacts. I have these, but there obviously are loads and loads, and loads out there: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074P4FMF1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks so much for the info and link. My measly 10ug looks woefully inadequate then, I’ll get some of the same stuff you use. I did know about K2 ( think Id read it on here somewhere) but if my D3 dose is so paltry it’s not going to help. I’d totally forgotten about the vitamin D council too so thanks for the reminder. I can see I need to gen up.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The young Mum and I are both members of a WhatsApp group that a neighbour set up for the people in this road at the beginning of this awfulness. Other people in the group suggested she phone for advice and she did. They are sending an ambulance to check her out. She usually has asthma which is why they are sending an ambulance.

Glad to know that she has taken action.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy - glad to hear Mr Slim has got settled but Eeek for your encounter with the rat. The housing estates a few miles up the hill are having rat issues thanks to them dumping rubbish on the streets. There's also been an increase in fly tipping. We had a mouse (note had!!) But it seems only one. Thankfully we still had sealed traps available. @DJC3 - Great Ac1 figures and thanks to you and @ shelley262 for the zoom feedback. @Annb - how are your BGs now? @Chook - I did have a laugh at the green yolks. I remember an experiment with raw eggs where I think you soak the raw egg in it's shell in vinegar for 24 hrs (I think) and it turns the egg into something that bounces but it's still raw in the middle (it does something to the membrane). Not something I want to do with the grandsons currently as eggs are still in short supply.
Monday bed 5.1 FBG 5
B. TAG 2 slices mortadella wrapped around a Dairylea triangle.
L. TAG and one of these choc mint cookies
D. Finished off yesterday's stroganoff with more celeriac chips done in the air fryer basket. 2 squares 85%. A wee prosecco.

Yesterday - Tuesday bed 6 FBG 5.5

Son wanted a trip to LIDL (still 1 Air Fryer remaining) later today. Amused myself by catching up on ironing. The weather is still glorious.

B. TAG and mortadella wrapped around 1 Dairylea triangle.
L. Nothing.
D. Made kebabs for the air fryer. Used 1 rib eye which was cubed and soaked in a mix of olive oil, tamari soy, garlic, cumin powder, salt & pepper. After they soaked a while I made up the skewers with shallots, red and yellow pepper, mushroom and the beef. The veggies were oiled and seasoned. The skewers are smaller than I normally make but only take 10 - 12 mins at 200C. One thing to watch is to make sure your veggies are skewered the right way around within the discs that hold the skewer in place. If they hang down it stops it rotating. Took me a few mins to make sure everything was right. I had my kebabs with santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and a little lettuce. I also had a wee prosecco and later one of the creme brulees with a few raspberries and a wonderful inulin top which I really caramelised!

maglil - were those eggs salted? The can be salted in shell (great for picnics, as you don't have to salt with you, or cracked into dips in a bed of salt.

It's tricky to get the timings just right for taste and texture!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for the info and link. My measly 10ug looks woefully inadequate then, I’ll get some of the same stuff you use. I did know about K2 ( think Id read it on here somewhere) but if my D3 dose is so paltry it’s not going to help. I’d totally forgotten about the vitamin D council too so thanks for the reminder. I can see I need to gen up.

I got an error trying to access the Vit D Council this morning. Not sure what was going on there, at that point.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A ‘porky’ day today.

Two course lunch - moo grob followed by tuna mixed with whipped creamy cheese.
Dinner was oven baked crispy pork belly strips. Delicious.

@DJC3 congrats on the HbA1c.

Editing to ask @DCUKMod whether you found a freezer stock monitoring app? Just put a spreadsheet together!

2A569210-5425-4F78-8E13-37B9774716D8.jpeg
50D693FB-2F82-433E-8ECA-DB5A6573A2A1.jpeg

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the decaf recommendations. I’ll try them ASAP ( have only tried Co op brand previously and didn’t think much of it.)
Also thanks for congrats re HbA1c yes I am chuffed to bits. I think it must have been the diet doctor keto challenge thing that I did recently which made the difference. Lipid panel all good too but vitamin D still low so I’d better start taking supplements.
If you take vit d tablets you need to take D3 and k2 together works for me plus some sunshine exposure when you can x

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow really felt like summer today - almost, dare I say it, too hot!
Breakfast one slice of bacon and one double yoked fried egg
Dinner duck stir fry with bare naked noodles and glass of dry white wine followed by lc lemon syllabub. Later decaff coffee with hotel choc choc.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for the HbA1c congrats. I must say Im glad it was last week, I’ve struggled to get below 6 in the last couple of days.
@Goonergal food looks great but I had to do a double take at first photo - thought there was a bug about to land on your food!
Today started with black coffee as usual ( got some Waitrose 1 decaf @shelley262 but not the one you recommended unfortunately - none left. Daughters partner works at Waitrose I hasten to add, I wasn’t making a non essential journey!)
Lunch was chicken salad with leaves, 1/2 avocado, 2 cherry toms and h/m mayo. The last lc custard to follow.
Dinner was locally caught plaice from the lovely fisherman, with buttered spinach and a lump of cheese to follow. Also a couple of glasses of Sauvignon blanc with the fish. Don’t drink this much these days as red has fewer carbs by and large, however I was in a s*d it sort of mood. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
We were all aghast at the human looking teeth in daughter’s sole, who knew?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks all for the HbA1c congrats. I must say Im glad it was last week, I’ve struggled to get below 6 in the last couple of days.
@Goonergal food looks great but I had to do a double take at first photo - thought there was a bug about to land on your food!
Today started with black coffee as usual ( got some Waitrose 1 decaf @shelley262 but not the one you recommended unfortunately - none left. Daughters partner works at Waitrose I hasten to add, I wasn’t making a non essential journey!)
Lunch was chicken salad with leaves, 1/2 avocado, 2 cherry toms and h/m mayo. The last lc custard to follow.
Dinner was locally caught plaice from the lovely fisherman, with buttered spinach and a lump of cheese to follow. Also a couple of glasses of Sauvignon blanc with the fish. Don’t drink this much these days as red has fewer carbs by and large, however I was in a s*d it sort of mood. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The agree was for the bug on @Goonergal 's first pic - the human looking teeth in the sole sound awful!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I was pretty aghast as well. Really made me jump as my mouse flicked over the image. Teeth?daughter's sole?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: filched some of Mr B’s macadamia keto muesli with yog and one slice of peach. Very non-carni :D
L: a v small portion of stew
D: chicken breast diced in Lidl’s protein (fish) noodles in a light cream sauce with garlic and chilli.

more garden shenanigans today. Cleared the rest of the side passage, swept through and cleared the detritus. Fortunately checked the drains (there are two), one is NOT draining properly. We’ve cleared most of it, but water level still taking too long to drop properly. Fortunately only the dishwasher drains into it.

On the plus side, the passage looks fab, and my mature ferns are unfurling beautifully.