What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Gosh it was hot today. Did two hours in the garden weeding and have a stiff neck now. @Goonergal that fried egg looks great. I’ve never eaten a duck egg but since I dont like duck I always assumed it would taste too ducky. Good to hear your bg aligning. Do you think you had CV? The symptons are so random. It would be good if you knew assuming it cant recur!
@SlimLizzy how was your day, who would have thought a bike ride could be illegal in this new order! Hope Mr Slim is doing ok and has all he needs.
Today my food is like this
Breakfast was very thin slice sourdough from farm shop which goes stale quickly toasted and copious tea.
Lunch was chicken, lettuce, cucumber and mayo.
Supper will be Thurs house special giant fishfingers and brocolli.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Today I had black coffee until midday, then a BLT in the 90 second mug bread. Really hit the spot. nit much fresh food left in my fridge so a sort of tuna bake for dinner - loosely based on the DD tuna casserole recipe. A bit of wilted lettuce with it. Just about to have a decaf coffee and 30g bar of Montezuma’s absolute black.
really glad your bg is coming down to earth again @Goonergal
@Chook are there any ‘proper’ curtain shops open? I don’t think anything like that is still open here. I hope not for your sake if he might go and choose some himself!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook meant to say you are brave if you let Mr C go off and choose curtains by himself. Ut maybe I am doing Mr C a disservice and he has excellent taste! For many years when I tried to include Mr PM in choosing home furnishings together it became daggers at dawn and for many years we both compromised which made neither of us happy. The last move we made a truce, I choose the furnishings and he plans the garden and I turn a blind eye to the various tools (toys) he needs.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all lovely warm day again today but deliberately took a step back sat down and drank lots of weak black tea and sat and read a book in the sun. Reading an amazing book - the salt path by Raynor Winn - about a walk around the south west coast path by a couple who were made homeless because of a major injustice plus he was very ill when they set out from minehead.
Still did usual caring support stuff but felt over wrought this am so made a real effort to take a breather it did work and I feel much better this evening- back to it tomorrow!
Breakfast two boiled eggs and one toasted chaffle
Pints of weak black tea throughout the day
Dinner steak casserole, buttered sprouts and roast celeriac with glass of dry red wine followed by Oppo ice cream. My special delivery of oppo ice cream arrived this morning it was all packed with dry ice and special wool based pads to keep it frozen - very clever and it worked! All profits from this special oppo consignment go to nhs so felt contributing plus a therapeutic treat!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Chocolate brownie carb killer bar.
Late Lunch: cheese cubes and piri piri snacks followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: roast chicken, one tiny roast potato with mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax seed followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
We had to have a roast today instead of Sunday as the chicken in the grocery delivery had a short use by date, but no one complained as every day is like a Sunday in our house at the moment! :joyful::hilarious:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Chopped up some mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and streaky bacon, fried them in butter and then stirred my last egg into it. Very tasty but it looked a bit of a mess.

A bit hungry about 3 pm so grabbed some krackawheat and Marmite. Then didn't feel like anything more before my 7 pm online meeting. Of course, by 8.45 when it finished, I was feeling too nauseous to eat. I put some lamb koftas (from the freezer) in the microwave anyway, but I'm not sure if I'll eat them yet.

Edited to add: Midnight - I didn't eat them - they went in the bin. Off to bed now. G'night all.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
23-04-2020
Breakfast CWC. Nut Granola. Scrambled eggs. CWC.
more CWC mid morning, but instant. I know some of you will be howling with disgust at the idea, but sometimes my stomach cant take the real deal. Two of the oh so moreish lemon and almond shortbread biscuits.
Lunch avocado, tomato and cheese. With garden salad. Water and tea. One small mandarin orange.
Several cups of tea.
Ate some more of the biscuits.
Dinner roast chicken legs. Carrot and leeks.
Courgettes cooked in the oven with a bit of diced red pepper and herbs. Had a packet sauce needed using, but it smelt disgusting so I binned it and used few slices of raclette cheese instead.
Another glass of the too sweet wine with zero tonic. Kept thinking it was nicer yesterday, then realised it needed a squeeze of lemon. Oh well only two more glasses left in the bottle. Wont be opening any others the same.
Have been working on the damaged panel, scraping and sanding. Tomorrow hope to get at least one coat of paint on.
Little bit more work in the garden nothing spectacular. Restacked some wood fallen down in the woodshed. Cooked and froze a few more veg. Yesterday seemed as if there were a few jobs, today feels as if its multiplied by at least five. Got that omg so much to do feeling. So I went and hid In a book for a while. Now it's late.
Tea and more tea. Hot day, i was thirsty.
@maglil55 MrSlim has been very good about keeping in touch, several times a day, so far. Am expecting that to change when he starts the twelve hour shifts. Today he got set up with all the tech, identity badge and a new email address. All the usual palaver with passwords and system access.
@PenguinMum sorry, should have explained better about the bike ride. We are allowed to leave the house, for the purpose of exercise, but on foot and must stay within 1 kilometre of home. Am assuming the ban on bikes for exercise is because it would be easy to go further. However its ok to use the bike to go shopping. Probably to take the rubbish as well. ( no bin days here) I went out on the bike for practice, (illegal) it's at least fifteen years since I rode one regularly. Am feeling a little more confident. Steering is better, and I can signal now. But need to build up stamina. If I was buying bread, could go out on bike every day. Deception I think. Money for bread in my pocket. Ofc not actually buying any and recycling bag for the journey home. Tomorrow though will really be taking rubbish.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@SlimLizzy good luck with the bike riding. Its been a few years since I rode one but whenever I think about it I can still feel the location of that saddle!!! Do you not have bin collections at all or is it just the recycling you have to take?

@PenguinMum and @DJC3 - not a chance that i would let him buy curtains on his own! Unless, of course, I wanted a red and white Arsenal themed room. He's good at DIY but can't imagine what the room will look like finished so DIY conversations here regularly tend to go something like.... Him: 'Are you absolutely sure you want that colour on the walls / those curtains / that flooring?'. Me: 'Yes'. A week later him 'Oh yes, I see why you wanted that now.'

He's been told he's going back to work in 10 days because the client is re-opening lots more of their stores. Shame, I've got used to him being home all the time and we've developed our own lovely lockdown routine.

Today's food...

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs on Burgen toast - wish I hadn't now as a) its given me indigestion and b). BG has gone up instead of down. I'm getting fed up of these increasingly higher FBGs

Lunch: Actimel and a bit of Lidl's Dolce Gorgonzola (yum)

DInner: Mr C's turn to cook... probably something spicy using up leftovers in the fridge. (Asda delivery tomorrow.)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Chopped up some mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and streaky bacon, fried them in butter and then stirred my last egg into it. Very tasty but it looked a bit of a mess.

A bit hungry about 3 pm so grabbed some krackawheat and Marmite. Then didn't feel like anything more before my 7 pm online meeting. Of course, by 8.45 when it finished, I was feeling too nauseous to eat. I put some lamb koftas (from the freezer) in the microwave anyway, but I'm not sure if I'll eat them yet.

Edited to add: Midnight - I didn't eat them - they went in the bin. Off to bed now. G'night all.

Strange - posting was timed at 10.51 pm but my clock said almost midnight! Are we working on different time zones?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No eggs until Ms V comes with my shopping so I just had some Krackawheat with cheese and some tea, of course. (Edit: Then a small mandarin.)

Since the breakfast was so light, I might have some scrambled eggs for lunch - once the eggs arrive.

Dinner will be the last pack of braised pork with tomato out of the freezers. At least - the last I have found.

I really must sort out what exactly is in the freezers. I'm hoping it is pretty well all raw meat and fish - apart from some prepped veg, a red velvet cake that didn't get used at the last event and some chocolate and orange trifle made for Em's family, which her Dad forgot to pick up.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not a chance that i would let him buy curtains on his own! Unless, of course, I wanted a red and white Arsenal themed room.

Nothing wrong with that :D:hilarious:

Getting back on topic. So far today I've eaten my last M&S cheesy Easter egg for breakfast. Will miss those - but they lasted a whole lot longer than chocolate ones would have.

Dinner is in the slow cooker - oxcheek. Haven't eaten that in ages and really looking forward to it.

@Annb I did a freezer audit this week. I now have a meal plan for next week based on the things that really need eating soon, including a gigantic t-bone steak!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy good luck with the bike riding. Its been a few years since I rode one but whenever I think about it I can still feel the location of that saddle!!! Do you not have bin collections at all or is it just the recycling you have to take?

@PenguinMum and @DJC3 - not a chance that i would let him buy curtains on his own! Unless, of course, I wanted a red and white Arsenal themed room. He's good at DIY but can't imagine what the room will look like finished so DIY conversations here regularly tend to go something like.... Him: 'Are you absolutely sure you want that colour on the walls / those curtains / that flooring?'. Me: 'Yes'. A week later him 'Oh yes, I see why you wanted that now.'

He's been told he's going back to work in 10 days because the client is re-opening lots more of their stores. Shame, I've got used to him being home all the time and we've developed our own lovely lockdown routine.

Today's food...

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs on Burgen toast - wish I hadn't now as a) its given me indigestion and b). BG has gone up instead of down. I'm getting fed up of these increasingly higher FBGs

Lunch: Actimel and a bit of Lidl's Dolce Gorgonzola (yum)

DInner: Mr C's turn to cook... probably something spicy using up leftovers in the fridge. (Asda delivery tomorrow.)
The thought of a red and white Arsenal themed room, Like a little boy’s bedroom lol. Is he pleased about going back to work or a bit anxious?
Hugs for the increased bg after eggs on toast. It was always my favourite breakfast but I daren't have even the lower carb breads now or I know I’d have another slice, and another....

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's like Christmas today - an order from Amazon came, a prescription with some otc medicine for Neil, a new part for the car for Neil to fix and my shopping! Decided to have a banana for lunch instead of eggs because by the time I'd unpacked and washed all the shopping, I didn't feel like doing much else.

The order from Amazon consisted of some small tins of Chinese teas and a box of 12 packs of cheesies. So I finished my lunch with some cheesies and found - I don't like them! Have to ask No 2 son to take them away next time he pops his head in the door. Being our postie, he calls frequently but he will only open the door about 6 inches and drop the post on the little sideboard there.

My shopping included an order from the butcher which was not exactly what I wanted - I asked for short ribs and received a thick fore rib of beef. Also asked for pork belly. The butcher phoned this morning and asked if it would be allright frozen - no problem. What came was a frozen complete belly with ribs! Had great difficulty just getting it into my big freezer - too long for the drawer but I did get it in diagonally by moving a lot of other stuff. Never mind - I got my lamb shank to make soup with - that will be going into the pot shortly.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The lamb shank was rather more than I'd anticipated - much more meaty - actually about a quarter of a hind leg so I've put it into the oven to roast for a bit, then I'll cut a fair bit of the meat off, leaving some on the bone and put that into the soup pot for a kind of Scotch broth, without the barley.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's like Christmas today - an order from Amazon came, a prescription with some otc medicine for Neil, a new part for the car for Neil to fix and my shopping! Decided to have a banana for lunch instead of eggs because by the time I'd unpacked and washed all the shopping, I didn't feel like doing much else.

The order from Amazon consisted of some small tins of Chinese teas and a box of 12 packs of cheesies. So I finished my lunch with some cheesies and found - I don't like them! Have to ask No 2 son to take them away next time he pops his head in the door. Being our postie, he calls frequently but he will only open the door about 6 inches and drop the post on the little sideboard there.

My shopping included an order from the butcher which was not exactly what I wanted - I asked for short ribs and received a thick fore rib of beef. Also asked for pork belly. The butcher phoned this morning and asked if it would be allright frozen - no problem. What came was a frozen complete belly with ribs! Had great difficulty just getting it into my big freezer - too long for the drawer but I did get it in diagonally by moving a lot of other stuff. Never mind - I got my lamb shank to make soup with - that will be going into the pot shortly.

Oh boy. I have bought decent chunks of belly in the past, but never a whole one. Sounds like you'll be having some fabulous ribs sometime soon, and all that fabulous stock.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb what a shame about the Cheesies I find them completely irresistible. They’re not cheap though are they? I’m trying to imagine the size of your pork belly which barely fits in the freezer lol.
Today I had the usual black coffee this morning.
Lunch was Waitrose potted crab pot which I thought Id checked carbs on previously but obviously hadn’t. Nearly 10g for a small pot and with the other stuff I had, made lunch around 15g carbs! Nearly a whole days worth.
Dinner IP chilli with sour cream, h/m guacamole and tortilla chips madd from a LoDough piece fried in butter and cut into triangles.
Followed that with a DGF salted caramel blondie and cream. Small glass red.
IMG_2453.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hungry day today....
Breakfast one slice bacon and double yoked egg with half a toasted chaffle
Lunch one lc cheese scone spread with Boursin pepper cheese followed by coffee and one square of 100% montezumas
Mid afternoon hungry so had an Aldi nut,seed and choc bar with my weak black tea.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, celeriac chips and green beans with glass dry white wine followed by oppo ice cream and yoghurt.
Hoping decking oil and fence paint - ordered from wickes three weeks ago - arrives early tomorrow, there’s a 7am to 8pm delivery slot! I’m keen to get the job done before it rains on Sunday! Lovely hot day today so deck is dry ahead of the job! Have to pinch myself that it’s still April feels like mid summer last few days.