What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The thought of a red and white Arsenal themed room, Like a little boy’s bedroom lol. Is he pleased about going back to work or a bit anxious?
Hugs for the increased bg after eggs on toast. It was always my favourite breakfast but I daren't have even the lower carb breads now or I know I’d have another slice, and another....

I think its a bit of both. He's enjoying being at home but wants to get back to life being a bit more normal although he thinks its much too soon . Its been a good rehearsal for him being retired in a few years time. At least we know that its do-able.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Birthday cake phd bar
Late Lunch: cheese cubes and piri piri snacks followed by Greek yoghurt, lemon chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: Cold roast chicken, coleslaw, leafy salad and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Must try to replicate that - except I don't have a rotisserie. It will still work in the oven, I should think.

Low, slow roasting pork belly gives the mos delicious meat and crackling. We did this last week, and it was quite outstanding.

http://www.foodwithmae.com/recipe-view/maes-slow-roasted-pork-lechon/

We marinaded it overnight, rather than just a couple of hours, because we could. In our views, leftovers from belly aren't the best, but from this, we stripped out most of the meat, the made pulled pork, and added some sriracha and mayo. That was lovely too.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: sausages
L: goatsmilk yog and peanut butter
D: stir fried beef mince with pad thai spices and Lidl protein noodles

also some 70% cocoa solid choc :D

no work today. Bliss. Got my begonias and dahlias out of the shed where they have been sitting in their spent compost since last autumn. I was very doubtful they would be OK, but it turns out they are doing fabulously. The begonias are just starting to sprout their frilly little leaves, and the corms are twice the size they were last year. The dahlias tubers are plump and have doubled in number from 12 months ago. And hopefully this year will be even better.

This is all a steep learning curve for me. Last year was first time for dahlias, and I had 2 (!) ppl stopping on the street complementing me on them! Was surprised and v v chuffed. So of course I have to try and do better this year. My ego demands it! Lol

I ‘m always in awe of houses fronted by healthy, happy, well fed and watered colour - I can only aspire... but I'm gonna try! (There is something about this house that just demands flower tubs. Totally different from anywhere else I have lived)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its a bit of both. He's enjoying being at home but wants to get back to life being a bit more normal although he thinks its much too soon . Its been a good rehearsal for him being retired in a few years time. At least we know that its do-able.

That’s encouraging. My husband’s retirement lasted all of 3 days, then he declared he never wanted to sit in another coffee shop as long as he lived and was going back to work!

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Back to a three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Nothing.
Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, butter mushroom gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

It'S ANZAC Day here (Saturday 25.04.2020), the pandemic has not put a dampener on the memorial services being held around Australia this morning.

Lest we forget...

Anzac-Day-Flags.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - Neil is incredibly industrious and seems to be able to turn his hand to anything. @Chook - no way would I allow my OH anywhere near purchases on his own. @Goonergal - glad your BGs are stabilising- mine went the other way yesterday bed 7 followed by an FBG 7 although it seems to be coming down again and I feel reasonably OK. @PenguinMum - I would love to know if I've had CV. I've certainly had some kind of nasty virus.
Yesterday
B. TAG and a couple of Dairylea triangles.
L. Back to nursery food. A couple of boiled eggs mashed with butter.
D. GF pork burger with a cheese slice, tomato, lettuce and 1/2 avocado. My last LC Creme brulee with raspberries (will need to make more).

Happy Anzac Day to the Aussie viewers. Was chatting with my niece earlier (she manages a Covid ward) and she was telling me they were going out at 6am with candles.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
24-04-2020
Breakfast: nut granola. CWC x2. 2 rashers streaky bacon and four cherry plum tomatoes.
CWC.
Lunch: Ham. Garden Salad, lettuce, radish, spring onion. cauliflower coleslaw made using outside leaves of cauliflower, water and tea.
Dinner: Roast chicken leg, deboned and warmed in its juices in microwave, courgettes as yesterday, frozen french beans
glass of wine mixed with sugar free tonic and lemon juice, makes a tolerable, almost pleasant drink.
2 cups of tea
Tthe early morning food panic ensured the TO DO list did not get any attention, instead did fridge/freezer audit. Arranged contents by date and planned how to stretch the breakfast options. Made two batches of melts. @Rachox thanks for the recipe. Four eggs now make eight breakfasts. Mixed ham version and bacon, but left them in their bowls to cook later. Had only four suitable cooking utensils, but during the recent unpacking found four cooking rings,so lined those with baking parchment to contain the mix in a shallow roasting tin, worked very well. in fact will line the glass ramekins next time as melts in those stuck and had to be persuaded out. Nice thing about that, crispy bits to scrape out and eat. So reminded me of doing the same with cake tins as a child.
Rode my bike to the village, questionable legality this time as did take some rubbish.@chook no bin collections here at all.
Afternoon, bite the bullet time, weather is cool, damp and cloudy, not suitable for painting, so started on the enormously long leylandii hedge. A job I really dislike. Late start, however managed perhaps 15% of it. Ofc we usually dump the cuttings in a trailer and remove to the tip. Thats not happening now. Emptied the wheelbarrow on a former bonfire site in the orchard. That will have to do. They will be there some months because locals do not approve of bonfires this time of year.
Weather report offers chance of rain overnight, so out on the mower next - along with two of the neighbours who had obviously seen the same report. 75% of residents mowing at the same time. Skies cleared, does not look like rain so went and watered veggies, at the same time setting up rain collection system- " just in cases"

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All.
Yesterday’s food was usual breakfast of Hi,o toast lots of tea.
Lunch was ham salad.
Supper was h/m chicken curry.
2 gin & soda beforehand

Today will be usual brekkie.
Lunch have defrosted some white crabmeat and wrapped prawns leftover from Christmas which we will share with bread (for him) and salad (for me).
Supper will be monkfish (for him, sadly for me only one left in freezer) and lamb chop (which he hates) for me with chips (for him) and brocolli.

@SlimLizzy you seem to be keeping very busy. Hedge cutting is beyond me, its too strenuous. I think its wise to do a little at a time to avoid aching shoulders. I am head weeder so today will be tackling the invasion of the periwinkle and those annoying weeds that spring up on the edge of the tarmac. We are due rain on Monday.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 14.7! I'm not the screaming type, otherwise I would.
Took a higher than usual dose of insulin and then a banana with a couple of cups of tea. That's breakfast.
I do have a very tasty pot of broth ready for lunch - finished last night.
I think I'll make a lamb tagine with the extra lamb from the shank but should really put it in the freezer, or at least keep it for tomorrow. Tonight will be smoked mackerel but no salad to go with it - there was none available at the shops yesterday so might make it into kedgeree with cauliflower rice.
The old trunk is currently sitting on my kitchen table - Neil relined the base part last night and has left it there to dry. The lid has to be done this morning. I reminded Neil last night that there is another, even older trunk in the loft which has been waiting to be repaired/renovated for many years now. Hubby's trunk was bought when he went to sea as a cadet in 1951 but the one in the loft is something over a hundred years old and is somewhat worse than shabby.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That’s encouraging. My husband’s retirement lasted all of 3 days, then he declared he never wanted to sit in another coffee shop as long as he lived and was going back to work!

Oh dear! How will you cope when he has to retire or dies he plan never to?

I think my husband likes the idea of retiring but only if he has a 'project' - my sneaky plan (when the time comes) is to take on an allotment or two to keep him having contact with other people and to be active. And, of course, food you've grown yourself always tastes so much better.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@SlimLizzy - you must be sleeping very well after all that activity!! I understand why people might not like bonfires at this time of the year - yesterday we were sitting in the sun in the garden (it was so lovely that most of the neighbours were doing the same) when a thoughtless person several doors up the road lit a bonfire - heaven knows what they were burning but it was thick black smelly smoke which went on for about an hour. Luckily I had taken in my washing but other people hadn't.

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: Actimel and some cheese
Dinner: Cheese, egg and quorn picnic eggs with salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, spring onions) and maybe snitch one of Mr C's new potatoes (or maybe even two).

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
[QUOTE="PenguinMum, post: 2253922, member:

@SlimLizzy you seem to be keeping very busy. Hedge cutting is beyond me, its too strenuous. I think its wise to do a little at a time to avoid aching shoulders. I am head weeder so today will be tackling the invasion of the periwinkle and those annoying weeds that spring up on the edge of the tarmac. We are due rain on Monday.[/QUOTE]
@HarryBeau
The hedge was hugely tall as well as long and wide, when we bought the house. Have reduced its height by about 2 metres and the width about one metre at the top. Its now about two metres wide at the top. ( base is about three to four metres deep) and i can just reach the centre. It is still about two and a half metres high.
@PenguinMum You are right, it is strenuous. However my much improved shoulders mean that I can now wield the larger hedge trimmer. It has always been my job as an unskilled task. Freeing MrSlim for tasks impossible for me. Last year he was putting in double glazed windows while I cut the hedge.
I need to keep busy. Might take to drinking too much and brooding otherwise. Would be easy to fall into that if there was time on my hands.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Just one meal today - gigantic T-bone steak. Way too big and didn’t finish it, but did add a 20g piece of cheddar for ‘dessert’.

Impressive Omad. Was the steak from that award winning butcher? Did it fit in a frying pan or did you airfry?I sent mr C to the butcher this morning with a shopping list which included steak but added the proviso - must fit in a frying pan. He has form!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear! How will you cope when he has to retire or dies he plan never to?

I think my husband likes the idea of retiring but only if he has a 'project' - my sneaky plan (when the time comes) is to take on an allotment or two to keep him having contact with other people and to be active. And, of course, food you've grown yourself always tastes so much better.

An allotment is a great idea. Mr C also need a purpose which is why he struggled giving up work.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Impressive Omad. Was the steak from that award winning butcher? Did it fit in a frying pan or did you airfry?I sent mr C to the butcher this morning with a shopping list which included steak but added the proviso - must fit in a frying pan. He has form!

Hi, yes from the award winning butcher. This one has been in the freezer for ages. Squeezed it into the frying pan, but only just!

6FCD4FFB-298D-45A8-8564-394C726B20DD.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee this morning.
Brunch was a feta cheese and spinach omelette/ frittata and then a sort of lazy mousse.
Dinner was based on a DD recipe. Chicken in a garlic and mushroom cream sauce with broccoli. Glass or 2 of red. More to follow. A lump of cheese for pud after inspiration from @Goonergal
Now getting ready for Saturday night Zoom quiz. ( should probably ease off on the red wine )

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, um, when did I fall so rapturously in love with the garden?
It has kind of sneaked up on me, and now I am totally infatuated. It is the highpoint of my day.
Is it the lovely weather?
The stir crazy effect of lockdown?
Old age?

All I can say is that I am loving it!

B: eggs, bacon and sausage
L: 70%choc (4 squares)
D: Pad Thai beef with Lidl protein noodles.
May have greek yog and peanut butter later.

Took No1 to park in car, while Nos2&3 were flogged there on the streets, by Mr B.
We all met up, went for a pack walk in a favourite park, then No1 got chauffeured home by me, while the others made the long trek home. I think No1 and I make a comparably creaky pair at the mo. Roughly equal capacity to walk. Although his capacity for sleep magnificently exceeds mine. Makes me quite jealous.

it was lovely and cool except for the last 10 mins, so they didn’t overheat.

No1’s back is obviously sore (he can’t go to the chiropractor at the moment, and he NEEDS an appt,) hence the transport. No2 is pleasantly wiped. No3 could do it all again. And again.

do you think I will ever be brave enough to use the clippers on them?