What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had about 180g - okay - naughty Chook - but I do think it was worth it and my BGs were back to normal by bedtime.
Too right it was worth it! Jersey royals, skin on, butter melting on them.....
From my youth I loved the Aryshires but they had lost their unique taste over the years.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Eaten a lot today but hopefully fuelled for a long (very long) walk tomorrow.

Lunch was carnivore pizza topped with chorizo and pepperoni.

Dinner was some crispy pork belly bites and salted lamb ribs cooked in the air fryer.

B1F3EE32-2B87-4C8A-BC66-708BF47A3008.jpeg
68E622E3-DC59-48AD-8130-CC157C396731.jpeg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
From my youth I loved the Aryshires but they had lost their unique taste over the years.

I hate the word but in this case those little potatoes really were 'lush'. As you say, loads of butter plus some sea salt and a tiny bit of chopped fresh mint. I could have eaten a whole plateful. o

Back before low carbing my extra special fabulous birthday treat favourite meal was a very thick Barnsley lamb chop, Jersey Royal potatoes in melted butter and a big mound of fresh asparagus with home made mint sauce.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Ayrshires really need to be fresh out of the ground to be any good. Even so, these days potatoes are grown for bulk in those fields, rather than quality. So I don't think they are as good as they used to be.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quickie as I have a quiz starting in 10mins, haven’t caught up but I did love the child’s perspective on COVID 19 @maglil55
Breakfast scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach. A lot of black coffee
Snack/lunch of handful of almonds and a Babybell
Dinner was IP beef joint with buttered cabbage. Beef was cooked with balsamic vinegar which I worried might be too carby (20g carbs just for balsamic in whole recipe) but I didn’t have too much sauce and it’s been ok 4.8 pre meal and 5.3 afterwards. Yay! Glass of red or 2 to follow. https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/easy-balsamic-beef-pot-roast-low-carb-gluten-free/

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny day today a mix of working and listening to some of the virtual PHC conference some great talks so far.
I’ve also been dealing with what must be a very rogue libre sensor either that or I’ve got major probs! Overnight I was so low the sensor refused to record after an hour or two of Lo it said try again later ie so low it couldn’t record! Before breakfast I was 2.9 and then just after breakfast - my usual low carb stuff - it Shot up to 25.3!! Enough to give me a heart attack - well ok bit of an exaggeration but in the spirit of the sensor reading! I rushed to get my caresens to check out my actual bgs which came out at 4.9!! Not sure that I’m trusting this sensor! Think may be ringing Abbott on Monday .........
Breakfast despite what sensor said a low carb slice of bacon and one egg with half slice lc bread
Lunch green salad with home cooked ham and vintage cheddar
Dinner lc chicken curry with cauliflower rice and glass of gin with soda water followed by lc lemon and lime jelly cream with yoghurt.
Just about to catch up with PHC conference talks about to listen to the Ivor Cummings talk real like that guy! Seems to talk a lot of sense interested? Why not listen along?

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and salted fudge Phd bar
Late Lunch: a small handful of pistachios followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Prawn cocktail with leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
16-05-2020
FBG a bit high for me at 5.9 so a smal lbreakfast, Nut granolsa and coffee
lunch,very late again sardines in tomato sauce, 2 slices of toasted pain kapnor, english salad. ie lettuce, tomato and cucumber. yoghurt and raspberries ,tea
dinner,chicken leg,carrot rice, beans . water and wine, one square of 85% chocolate,
feeling totally worn out tonight, after another day od shovelling and clearing up.
however the worst is done now. perhaps back to some form of normality soon. in other words back to the TO DO list.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny day today a mix of working and listening to some of the virtual PHC conference some great talks so far.
I’ve also been dealing with what must be a very rogue libre sensor either that or I’ve got major probs! Overnight I was so low the sensor refused to record after an hour or two of Lo it said try again later ie so low it couldn’t record! Before breakfast I was 2.9 and then just after breakfast - my usual low carb stuff - it Shot up to 25.3!! Enough to give me a heart attack - well ok bit of an exaggeration but in the spirit of the sensor reading! I rushed to get my caresens to check out my actual bgs which came out at 4.9!! Not sure that I’m trusting this sensor! Think may be ringing Abbott on Monday .........
Breakfast despite what sensor said a low carb slice of bacon and one egg with half slice lc bread
Lunch green salad with home cooked ham and vintage cheddar
Dinner lc chicken curry with cauliflower rice and glass of gin with soda water followed by lc lemon and lime jelly cream with yoghurt.
Just about to catch up with PHC conference talks about to listen to the Ivor Cummings talk real like that guy! Seems to talk a lot of sense interested? Why not listen along?
Send them an email. They are pretty quick with a rogue sensor. You'll need to tell them the sensor number, where you got it from/bought it, confirm it is applied according to instructions and some sample comparisons against finger pricks to show it's dolally. They'll send a replacement and a hazard bag to return the nutty sensor. There's more info they ask for but it's pretty run of the mill.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.9 FBG 6.4. Improving thankfully. Not quite as chesty today. @PenguinMum I knew there were other cases but it seems more than we thought. It was like reading about myself. As I've said the only symptom I didn't have was fever but I've had everything else in spades and it sounds like @Annb is the same.
B. TAG and a couple of Dairylea triangles (at least I can taste them)
L. Couple of the GF seeded crackers and another couple of Dairylea triangles.
D. Finally cooked the minced pork thing stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. That's all I had until I had the last of the SF jelly with raspberries. Also had a bit of DGF chocolate and hazelnut.

@DJC3 - Another addition to Covid according to the boys.

How did the Coronavirus start?

6 year old - People littering and coughing without covering their mouth and going and peeing in other gardens that are not theirs. (???)

9 year old- Because of stupid people coming back from China and China eating bats to get it because they are really strange.

@Chook - I'm still thinking about Jersey Royals.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yayyyy the man who bought our old car (the one that died back in December) has finally come to collect it - I now have my front garden back!!! Unfortunately the front garden hasn't got through the corona virus caused delay unscathed and now needs a complete makeover. :angelic:

@maglil55 - do you get a lot of people peeing in other people's front gardens in your neck of the woods?????? Your no 2 grandson has got a great imagination. I think no 1 is more or less right.

Food today...

Breakfast: usual Sunday morning brunch: chaffle, two fried eggs, mushrooms and 100g of baked beans
Lunch: Actimel drink
Dinner: Stir fry - pak choi, beansprouts, mangetout, spring onions, fennel with a lemony sauce - don't think I'll bother with a protein with this meal as a) it tends to dominate the delicate flavour of the veg and b) I had a lot of protein for brunch

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bed 5.9 FBG 6.4. Improving thankfully. Not quite as chesty today. @PenguinMum I knew there were other cases but it seems more than we thought. It was like reading about myself. As I've said the only symptom I didn't have was fever but I've had everything else in spades and it sounds like @Annb is the same.
B. TAG and a couple of Dairylea triangles (at least I can taste them)
L. Couple of the GF seeded crackers and another couple of Dairylea triangles.
D. Finally cooked the minced pork thing stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. That's all I had until I had the last of the SF jelly with raspberries. Also had a bit of DGF chocolate and hazelnut.

@DJC3 - Another addition to Covid according to the boys.

How did the Coronavirus start?

6 year old - People littering and coughing without covering their mouth and going and peeing in other gardens that are not theirs. (???)

9 year old- Because of stupid people coming back from China and China eating bats to get it because they are really strange.

@Chook - I'm still thinking about Jersey Royals.

Your grandsons have got the idea - not too sure about the peeing bit. I daresay that would help to spread it, so he's not wrong.

12.30 - just had a plate of scrambled eggs - spent the morning sorting out all the meat I cooked yesterday.

The chicken was actually pretty big - 41/2 lb and there's lots left over. I decided (because I was tired) just to shove it into the oven with some lemon and garlic. Enough left to have one breast sliced, most of the other to be chopped up for chicken mayo. Wings still left and some of the leg meat. Carcass currently making stock. I had 2 thighs on their own last night. Must do something with the rest, but am pretty shattered right now.

I slow cooked the beef spare ribs with some veg, took one out and left the rest for hotpot. 2 foil trays of hotpot in the freezer. Cooked the gravy down to go with the one rib for tonight.

Also slow cooked some stewing steak with onions and then added chopped up kidney. Now have 2 foil trays of steak and kidney base for the freezer.

Hoping to feel a bit more like eating later today, although at present my taste buds are telling me that everything is made of blotting paper. FBG 16.5 - I wonder if I forgot to take my basal insulin last night. Feeling rather off today - actually did all my food prep this morning in my dressing gown and just wanting to get back to bed, but I shan't. Just need to get going - maybe one more cup of tea....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Dinner a bit later than usual due to exceedingly long walk - was at least 1.5 miles longer than it needed to be due to a) going around in the same circle twice (construction site blocking Thames Path) and b) thinking I’d seen a way through from Blackwall Basin to Canary Wharf when reviewing the map this morning. Enjoyable but now exhausted.

Dinner was the only meal of the day and was the most deliciously fatty short rib (actually didn’t eat all the fat as it had flavoured the rest of the meat really well and there was rather a lot of it). Finished off with a small piece of cheese.

A986326F-3CFF-4CC6-BCD1-0765F955A73D.jpeg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: bovril and 1 mouthful of pumpkin chai latte
L: kidney and liver soup (from freezer)
D: stir fried chicken and chorizo with butter and a sprinkle of Parmesan

v active day. Cycle ride then masses of gardening. Everything aches now, but in a good way.
About 7 years ago I bought a small 18 inch at max growth phormium to sit in a specific spot in the garden. It was a named variety, so I knew what I was getting, and how big it would grow. Except the label must have been swapped or something. The thing grew into a thug. Wrong size and colour. Nearly 6 feet high. Mugged everything within reach. Quite beautiful, actually, but too BIG.
So today I cut it down. Leaf by leaf, chopped into 3 or more lengths, right down to the snail filled stump.
and I piled all the chopped leaves up ready for disposal, and went inside for a well earned cuppa...

and heard a doggy commotion...

and went outside to discover that a playful WWIII had broken out... with phormium leaf tug’o’war across the entire garden... my lovely pile trampled and spread everywhere, with a single poo crowning the centre of the scatter - and 3 very happy dogs.

Ah well, they had fun ;) and anyway, they know I only cut it down in order to provide them with all that entertainment. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @Brunneria I had to Google phormium as I’d never heard of it but I love the story of the crowning poo on top.
@maglil55 brilliant ideas from the boys , the 5 o’clock briefings would be a lot cheerier if they were in charge.
I’m exhausted just reading about your walk @Goonergal , 1.5 miles would be my whole walk, not a little extension.
Today has sort of drifted by. I don’t think I’ve done anything productive.
Brunch was scrambled eggs and bacon.
Loads of black coffee obviously - I’ve restarted the coffee subscription I had when I was working. Fresh ground good quality coffee posted to me at regular intervals. I stopped it when I retired but I think these trying times deserve a bit of a treat so I’ve started getting it again. ( was getting a bit stressed about not being able to get decent coffee)
Dinner: Fillet steak, mushrooms, onions and mixed salad with h/m mayo. Red wine.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake carb killa bar.
Late Lunch: some pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and vanilla and raspberry low carb granola.
Dinner: roast chicken, mixed veg, one tiny roast potato and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax seed followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.