What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your grandsons have got the idea - not too sure about the peeing bit. I daresay that would help to spread it, so he's not wrong.

12.30 - just had a plate of scrambled eggs - spent the morning sorting out all the meat I cooked yesterday.

The chicken was actually pretty big - 41/2 lb and there's lots left over. I decided (because I was tired) just to shove it into the oven with some lemon and garlic. Enough left to have one breast sliced, most of the other to be chopped up for chicken mayo. Wings still left and some of the leg meat. Carcass currently making stock. I had 2 thighs on their own last night. Must do something with the rest, but am pretty shattered right now.

I slow cooked the beef spare ribs with some veg, took one out and left the rest for hotpot. 2 foil trays of hotpot in the freezer. Cooked the gravy down to go with the one rib for tonight.

Also slow cooked some stewing steak with onions and then added chopped up kidney. Now have 2 foil trays of steak and kidney base for the freezer.

Hoping to feel a bit more like eating later today, although at present my taste buds are telling me that everything is made of blotting paper. FBG 16.5 - I wonder if I forgot to take my basal insulin last night. Feeling rather off today - actually did all my food prep this morning in my dressing gown and just wanting to get back to bed, but I shan't. Just need to get going - maybe one more cup of tea....

Had the beef spare rib. I ate it, but I didn't really want it. The gravy was fine, so I could taste that at least. But it was more than I wanted to eat. Made some courgette pappardelli - it worked pretty well, although I will make some alteration next time. BG before dinner was still up at 14.3 - I'll be checking it in a while to see what it is now.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Toasted cheese and onion sandwich.
Dinner: Roast duck and veggies, gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

I mentioned the other day that otc generic paracetamol was in short supply at the pharmacy we go to, but got a new generic brand last week - $3.00 for 100 with our script delivery. :D

EeOAJ3s.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Work day and also listening to PHC virtual conference especially liked the talk by Dr Malhotra

Breakfast one slice bacon, egg and half a slice toasted lc bread
Lunch cheese and ham salad
Dinner beef casserole roast celeriac and asparagus with glass of red followed by lc raspberry mousse with a strawberry and spoon of yoghurt

@maglil55 yep will be touch in am with Abott re libre sensor it’s had an error message a lot today and also did a shoot up to 18 sure it will be going back. I had an odd one a few months ago but that was just reading persistently low this one swings very high and very low - it’s clearly got bipolar!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.

Breakfast: 2x CWC, nut granola, 2 slices of toasted pain kapnor with blue cheese. Cant remember figures, but not good at all. Used to have toast and blue cheese, and be ok. Maybe was just too much with granola as well.

Lunch: sardines, lettuce, half a large tomato, homemade coleslaw. Water and tea.

Not sure if there was anything else between lunch and dinner. Cup of tea, yes. That might have been all.

Dinner: spicy mince. Carrot rice, won't be making that again. Freezing seems to make it tough. Brocolli with raclette cheese and French beans. Greek yoghurt with mixed red fruit. Glass of water and one of wine. Also cooked Savoury mince and roast celeriac, which will be tomorrow's dinner. Two portions of each version added to freezer. Which is reasonably full. Fridge is looking a bit bare, especially the fresh veg and dairy sections

Pic is tomorrow's dinner
20200517_222803.jpeg

Had a much nicer day, working on the garden, taking up the debris, and then digging it in. although digging in compost and soil improver (which is what I have labelled the vegetable debris) is almost the same as shovelling mud, it feels so much more productive. Then I cut the grass. A normal activity, but an unusual time. Bit noisy for a Sunday afternoon. Then again, everyone else was inside. So why not?

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Evening all. @Brunneria I had to Google phormium as I’d never heard of it but I love the story of the crowning poo on top.
@maglil55 brilliant ideas from the boys , the 5 o’clock briefings would be a lot cheerier if they were in charge.
I’m exhausted just reading about your walk @Goonergal , 1.5 miles would be my whole walk, not a little extension.
Today has sort of drifted by. I don’t think I’ve done anything productive.
Brunch was scrambled eggs and bacon.
Loads of black coffee obviously - I’ve restarted the coffee subscription I had when I was working. Fresh ground good quality coffee posted to me at regular intervals. I stopped it when I retired but I think these trying times deserve a bit of a treat so I’ve started getting it again. ( was getting a bit stressed about not being able to get decent coffee)
Dinner: Fillet steak, mushrooms, onions and mixed salad with h/m mayo. Red wine.

i agree with you about needing little luxuries during the lockdown. I'm finding my food/wine Asda deliveries have gone up a little bit but I'm saving loads by not impulse buying at the weekends like I used to. Mr C estimates we're saving about £400 a month!! So, yes, my cheese treat habit is affordable. :angelic:

Breakfast: two fried eggs on buttered Burgen toast
Lunch: usual Actimel drink and a bit of cheese - Castello blue (experiment)
Dinner: something and stir fry - when I prepped yesterday's stir fry there was more than enough for two days. Not sure what the 'something ' will be yet although I do have some Quorn Thai bites that need using.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Somehow missed yesterday!
Usual slice HiLo toast for breakfast, lots tea.
Lunch was corned beef slices and the last of the Waldorf salad.
Supper was spatchcock chicken with spice and yogurt marinade, brocolli.

today
Same breakfast.
Lunch buttered cheese scone, 2 thin slices ham, 1 egg with mayo.
Supper will be based around aubergine, either roasted with red onion and a tomato or a form of parmigiana.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BG last night was 9.3. Breakfast - around 11 am - was more scrambled eggs but on RyVita - my system is in need of some fibre! Made me feel pretty nauseous again - maybe I'm going off eggs. I do hope not.

Was going to make some chicken soup for lunch with all the stock I made yesterday and some odds and ends of chicken, but feeling so grotty that I didn't bother. Then my Montezuma's 100% chocolate drops arrived in the post. Only one bag to see how the delivery works, and if the chocolate is fit for Neil. Had one, put the rest into a jar - can't reclose the packet. Then found one was stuck in the packet, so I had that as well. Very delicious and a quick "hit" of chocolate. Don't need lunch now.

2 lamb chops for this evening's meal, possibly with some peas or a tomato and cucumber salad.

FBG 7.5 this morning after slightly larger basal dose last night but just now (1.50 pm) it's 13.4. No doubt because of the RyVita, even though I did take extra insulin before that as well.

Edited to add last night's BG.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@shelley262 I’m waiting for a replacement Libre sensor too - the one I tried to put on at the weekend didn’t go into the applicator properly and I had to abort for fear of causing myself damage.
@DJC3 @Brunneria I had to google phormium too
@Chook I’m also spending less, despite the seemingly endless stream of deliveries. Credit card bill has almost been paid off!

BG is still behaving erratically - thought I had it tamed after the illness, but not so. It’s clearly not what I’m eating so a bit of a mystery. Still Libre and Tee2 finally agreed before dinner - and it was a sensible number. Yay!

Said dinner was OMAD - not planned that way but not very hungry at lunch time and decided fresh air was more important than food before my next meeting. Dinner was air fried chicken wings coated in blitzed pork rinds and Parmesan, 1 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausage (cooked 2 but the second not needed) and 2 rashers streaky bacon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. No breakfast, just black coffee as usual.
Lunch a small ( 100g) bit of steak, cut off one of yesterday’s as it was too big for the pan. With halloumi, a fried egg and spinach. First time I’ve air fried steak - very good, I was worried I’d overdo it. Lazy mousse afterwards.
Dinner was baked salmon with a sesame crust, Harrisa cabbage and lime mayo. A lc custard to follow.
Hugs for the still erratic BGs @Goonergal. It really does seem to take a long time to shake off completely.
@Chook , @Brunneria and all other doggy people, did you see they are training dogs now to see if they can detect COVID carriers before they are symptomatic. In the same way they can sniff out cancer of hypoglycaemia. Wouldn’t that be fantastic?
@DCUKMod I noticed this instant pot paneer recipe https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot...o+brighten+your+day&utm_campaign=RSS+Campaign have you tried it by any chance? Also does. Anyone know what half and half is? Is it single cream?

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch a small ( 100g) bit of steak, cut off one of yesterday’s as it was too big for the pan. With halloumi, a fried egg and spinach. First time I’ve air fried steak - very good, I was worried I’d overdo it. Lazy mousse afterwards.
Dinner was baked salmon with a sesame crust, Harrisa cabbage and lime mayo. A lc custard to follow.
Hugs for the still erratic BGs @Goonergal. It really does seem to take a long time to shake off completely.
@Chook , @Brunneria and all other doggy people, did you see they are training dogs now to see if they can detect COVID carriers before they are symptomatic. In the same way they can sniff out cancer of hypoglycaemia. Wouldn’t that be fantastic?
@DCUKMod I noticed this instant pot paneer recipe https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot...o+brighten+your+day&utm_campaign=RSS+Campaign have you tried it by any chance? Also does. Anyone know what half and half is? Is it single cream?

I haven't made paneer of any sort. Twosleevers is usually very reliable.

Half and half is pretty much the same as single cream.

Tonight was Thai Red Curry for us, and I have to say, it was a disappointment. It lacked flavour, never mind punch, but hey ho.

What I did do today though was, I finally cooked rice in the IP, for MrB. It worked like a charm, and will likely be our go to. No mess, not boiling pots. Result.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod and @Goonergal thanks for half&half info.
Saag paneer on the cards for next week I think. She says her butter chicken sauce is good with the paneer too.
One of our household has now become a vegetarian so Im going to try to have a couple of meat free days a week to make things simpler ( she’ll cook her own dinner on other days thank goodness)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: No coconut ‘porridge’ today :wideyed:, fasted for my annual diabetes review bloods!
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake carb killa bar.
Late Lunch: three small slices of ham followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.granola.
Dinner: tuna melts and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Spoke to Abbott re my faulty libre sensor this morning - it had got stuck this am between Hi and sensor error despite my caresens bg meter declaring a normal fbg of 4.6. The person I spoke to said it only read HI if bg was higher than 27!! Anyway envelope on the way for return along with a new sensor. I have a back up so after a few recovery days I’ll start the new sensor! Sensor read LO most of last night when checked which, I gather, means lower than 2.2. Good job I don’t do insulin! A very wierd experience seeing those crazy high and low figures.
Busy - but very productive- day so ended up just with coffee and cream until dinner
Omad ham,cheese and mushroom frittata with avocado salad and green salad and glass of dry white followed by lc raspberry mousse and spoon of yoghurt and cream.
@Goonergal your sensor experience sounds scary glad you decided to abort and not possibly injure yourself! My conversation with them this morning took a while so many questions including how I’d put it on and where!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I finally got around to asking what half and half was from the internet - apparently the name refers to the liquid's content of half milk and half cream. Its milkfat content is 12.5%. It is widely available in the United States, but not over here, I don't think. I was assuming it was full cream milk, but it's obviously a much higher fat content.

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: No coconut ‘porridge’ today :wideyed:, fasted for my annual diabetes review bloods!
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake carb killa bar.
Late Lunch: three small slices of ham followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.granola.
Dinner: tuna melts and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Good luck @Rachox impressed that it’s still happening despite current crisis.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

About the idea of using dogs to detect covid - it would be an excellent idea. My Archie is great for indicating when people aren't well. its a natural ability for him which we discovered it early on in his life - he's 'told' us a couple of times when someone had an undiscovered cancer, he gets weird when my BGs go low, and he totally went nuts when a friend started to go in anaphylactic shock during a meal (sesame oil allergy) he can also sense when someone is brewing up to have an epileptic seizure. All three are snugglers if either of us feel under the weather.

Archie
IMAG0050_kindlephoto-155759674.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck @Rachox impressed that it’s still happening despite current crisis.
I was surprised too, as I had received a text at the beginning of April saying diabetes reviews weren’t going ahead, but I got another text last week, inviting me to go into the surgery for all the practical stuff which will then be followed up with a phone appt to discuss results. I was nervous about going in but it was all very well arranged. I did record my weight and BP at home before going, so reduced contact to just the blood letting and foot ‘tickle’ test. Fingers crossed for my results.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally got around to asking what half and half was from the internet - apparently the name refers to the liquid's content of half milk and half cream. Its milkfat content is 12.5%. It is widely available in the United States, but not over here, I don't think. I was assuming it was full cream milk, but it's obviously a much higher fat content.

Thank you. I think I’ll either use single cream or mix double cream and milk, whichever works out cheapest - I need a quart. Had to Google that as well!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you. I think I’ll either use single cream or mix double cream and milk, whichever works out cheapest - I need a quart. Had to Google that as well!

I just remembered that US pints are smaller than ours -16 fl oz to our 20 fl oz

So a US quart is 32 fl oz and UK quart is 40 fl oz i have no idea what that is in metric

It caught me out the one and only time I used pint as a measurement. I just thought a pint would be a pint - but apparently not.