What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

i'm not a hairdresser but i find it easy to do my husband's hair with clippers (on no. 2) its saved a fortune over the last 24 years.
I do not trust my partner to cut my hair, even after fifty years of living together she would do something to the hair cut so it would take a while to grow out for joke.

Reactions: Chook

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast: 2x coffee with half and half. Nut granola, the last bacon melt.
mid-morning CWH&H,
Lunch: one slice pain Kapnor toast with pate, lettuce, coleslaw and half a large tomato. water and tea.
afternoon: cup of tea. or two?
Dinner: Pork chop casseroled with mushrooms and leeks. Have made similar before, but turned oven up to hurry it this time and meat was a bit chewy. Gentle reheating will probably make it better tomorrow. And if not. Lesson learned. Also small portion of brocolli. (half of what was left) Two glasses of wine consumed over period of four hours. Started one while dinner was cooking. Had other afterwards.
Spent most of the day thinking about, (writing menu) sorting,( fridge and freezer) preparing or cooking food. Not a lot else got done. Food prepared or planned should last until Sunday dinner. After that it gets a bit more difficult. Better work out a menu for next three weeks before shopping. Its now clear we over estimated the amount of coffee and proteins needed, while under estimating the fresh or frozen vegetables and dairy products required. Also the garden will not be supplying much, if anything besides lettuce, for a while, because of the flood damage. I had hoped it would be more useful.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Australia went fully metric in the early 1970's so it was a matter of having to get used to it, I can still remember our getting started instructions for the currency though which was on the ship coming out here, a tin of beer which was 1 shilling and 6 pence now costed 15 cents, a pint at 2 shillings was now 20 cents. and so on I think that kicked in when we left South Africa when we stopped there for the day.

Most of our scales had dual weights on them, which helped when the weight and measures changeover kicked in. I had been mentally converting weights from pounds to kilos by 2 times the weight + 10% which was near enough for us.

Looking back I enjoyed that change over period as it was a once in a life time thingy.

My problem still is to understand what my weight is in kilos. 16 stone is hellish (not much more than me now) but what are the scales talking about when it's switched to kilos? Just gobbledegook to me - numbers drawn out of thin air. Might be hellish, might not... But then I am one of those people who have problems with numbers anyway, as well as the left/right thing. Supposed to be intelligent, but that's open to question.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Australia went fully metric in the early 1970's so it was a matter of having to get used to it, I can still remember our getting started instructions for the currency though which was on the ship coming out here, a tin of beer which was 1 shilling and 6 pence now costed 15 cents, a pint at 2 shillings was now 20 cents. and so on I think that kicked in when we left South Africa when we stopped there for the day.

Most of our scales had dual weights on them, which helped when the weight and measures changeover kicked in. I had been mentally converting weights from pounds to kilos by 2 times the weight + 10% which was near enough for us.

Looking back I enjoyed that change over period as it was a once in a life time thingy.

We learnt little rhymes at school which I still chant to myself when I need to convert.

‘Two and a quarter pounds of jam, weighs about a kilogram’

‘A litre of water’s a pint and three quarters’

‘A metre measures three foot three, it’s longer than a yard you see’

There may have been others but I only remember those 3.

D

Deleted member 308541

16 x 14 = 224 pounds or 101.6 kilos, which is pounds divided by two, minus ten percent, roughly...

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My problem still is to understand what my weight is in kilos. 16 stone is hellish (not much more than me now) but what are the scales talking about when it's switched to kilos? Just gobbledegook to me - numbers drawn out of thin air. Might be hellish, might not... But then I am one of those people who have problems with numbers anyway, as well as the left/right thing. Supposed to be intelligent, but that's open to question.

i just use Google when i want to do that kind of conversion.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I used to sleep like a log (9 hours) but since this lockdown started I don't think I've had one full night's sleep. Anyone else having this problem?? Last night I didn't get off to sleep until after 3.32 (that was the last time I looked at the time) and then I was awake at 8am! So annoying!

Today's food

Breakfast: scrambled eggs made with cream and butter
Lunch: usual Actimel drink and a bit of cheese (probably Red Leicester)
Dinner: Greek Butter beans (simple recipe including tomatoes and herbs) on lodough used as a wrap with a bag of green salad

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i just use Google when i want to do that kind of conversion.

So do I. Or if it's a small amount, I have a chart on my kitchen wall - cups to lbs/oz to mg/kg. But just using one system for each recipe works fine. My recipes, when I use them, are a mix of old ones I clipped from magazines when I was a teenager (imperial), my mother's old recipe books (imperial), ones from online (cups/tsp) and others from TV or online (metric).

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - about 10 am was the remainder of the chicken soup.
Lunch - I am promising myself some strawberries and yoghurt.
Dinner will be one of the pork chops with cabbage.

I'll have to put the second pork chop in the freezer for another time - should have done that last night but forgot. Also forgot some chicken thighs I had in the fridge (Ms V got them for me, in case I couldn't get a chicken from the butcher). So I thought I would just chuck them in the oven and then have them ready to use today. Then someone phoned and I was on the phone for an hour. I did remember just to switch the power off to the oven, so they didn't burn. Then someone else phoned and knocked the thought right out of my head! This morning I caught a bit of Jamie Oliver talking about doing something or other with chicken thighs - and remembered. Dope!

Just received my oxymeter from Amazon - my blood/oxygen saturation level is 95% - not too bad considering. Chest isn't feeling too sore today, so I'll see if it gets worse and then try again.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Yesterday breakfast

Banana didn't feel like anything else

went up the road brought a few herbs watercress a mini sourdough bread rocket lettuce.

Dinner pan fried hollumi cheese with lemon juice and maggie beer duck & green peppercorn pate on sourdough bread

Wednesday Breakfast

A slice of bacon with two poached eggs and a slice of sourdough toast with butter washed down with black coffee

Did some gardening racked up leaves from my crepe myrtle tree to put on my garden for mulch then did some pruning over did it and body is aching all over.

Dinner made salad with leftovers hollumi cheese from last night dinner Lebanese cucumber pear and slice of bacon dressed with pomegranate sauce and olive oil left over pate on slice of sourdough bread
Did the dishes then looked in my pantry and found some dairy lee dark chocolate bullets in my pantry not a good idea but had a handful.

Australia are slowly lifting restrictions which is good and scary at same time even certain medical procedures are starting and Next week I have to travel to Sydney for a sigmoidoscopy test have mixed feelings about this but my GI wants to see how I am going with my new treatment.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Forget to post pictures of my crepe myrtle tree I took these few weeks ago it was just the right time sun setting and the golden colours of the leaves amazing colours. But these leaves were all over my front yard today that I had to rack up see previous post from beautiful to hard work
IMG_20200511_000245_002.jpg
IMG_20200510_235927_462.jpg
IMG_20200510_195030_591.jpg
20200510_161905.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a good bit behind again. Nothing wrong . Just doing some remote lessons with the boys to give them a change. Sunday didn't work out as I planned. Bed 6.4 FBG 6.3. I did intend to make lobster thermidor for the dinner but, having thawed them, the lobsters didn't look or feel right. White claws with mold like spots and it felt as if they were hollow. A bit "furry" looking too. As I finally seem to be recovering, I decided it was not a good idea. Fortunately I had a rack of lamb.
B. Slice GF black pudding, 2 rashers of back bacon and a fried egg plus TAG. First time I've cooked and enjoyed a fry up in a long time.
L. Nothing.
D. Rack of lamb which I'd marinated in lemon, garlic and rosemary with celeriac chips and a mini cob. I had a few prawns with Marie rose and half avocado before it. Usual campari and soda. Much later a DGF Blueberry and lemon.

@Chook & @Annb - it was a mystery to all of us about the weeing in gardens so I asked him the other day. He duely informed me I should be aware that there are naughty people that go about looking for other people's bushes to pee on?? Hope you're feeling better @Annb and you too @Tipetoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: annabell1

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 5.5 FBG 5.6 so much better. I did some reading with the boys remotely and coached the little one through some English work. I'd forgotten he swallowed a dictionary at birth! I was surprised when the boys were asked if they wanted to go back to school it was a resounding "Yeeessss!". The reason for both reactions was it seems we make them do more work than they get at school!
B. TAG and went back to a couple of GF crackers with pate as my Morrisons order arrived.
L. Nothing. Busy putting order away. They did really well today. Only missing was Hubby's crustless bread that he likes. Oh well he'll just have to cut them off.
D. Made another Kung Po beef with cauliflower rice. Didn't go for the berries - had a DGF chocolate & hazelnut instead.

You're correct @DJC3. Children do have a unique view on things and the quizzing has thrown up some interesting views. Next question on their list was who are you going to hug first when you are allowed. 9 year old was straightforward - it was his best friend. 6 year old? It was Craig and Leo and Tyler and and? What about the girls? No way! They talk wayyyy too much!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Well today According to my diary - before cV19- we should have been sailing on Queen Mary from Southampton instead of which my delayed gravel order of a bulk bag of 850kgs arrived at 8.30 and I’ve been ferrying it into the garden for my projects. Believe it or not there wasn’t enough so looks like another order will be placed in am. - need recovery time though for my muscles!
My new sensor reading a smidge high but much more inline with my bg meter about 1 point above rather than 20 points above!
Wow what a lovely sunny day just been out watering.....
Breakfast two boiled eggs and half a toasted slice Lc bread
Lunch cheese, celery and walnuts
Dinner two lamb chops with cheese stuffed mushrooms, spinach and raita with two glasses of dry white ( for my muscles of course!) followed by lc raspberry mousse and yoghurt.
Planning to do more garden work tomorrow lots of pots to fill with compost and add plants grown by friends from seeds.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar
Late lunch: 3 x small herb biscuits, which I found in the depths of freezer, with cream cheese followed by my first experience of Deliciously Guilt Free cakes, 2 x lemon blueberry drizzle cake with a couple of strawberries and cream. The cakes were delicious! I still have millionaires shortbread and orange and chocolate brownies to try!

CE1D51EB-7B22-4C9A-A88D-88419EAFBBF1.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar
Late lunch: 3 x small herb biscuits, which I found in the depths of freezer, with cream cheese followed by my first experience of Deliciously Guilt Free cakes, 2 xView attachment 41485 lemon blueberry drizzle cake with a couple of strawberries and cream. The cakes were delicious! I still have millionaires shortbread and orange and chocolate brownies to try!
Cor they look good @Rachox i loved the lemon drizzle last summer feel an order coming on - how long did your order take to arrive?

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Unexpected 12.5 hour working day, which in turn meant a 22 hour fast since the cheese snaffling about 10pm last night.

Dinner was thrown together - didn’t fancy the lamb leg steak I’d taken out of the freezer so fried up some onions, corned beef, eggs and cheese into a gooey mess. Pretty tasty and very filling.