What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did a trial run tonight with some dim sum. Got a bit of a spike even though most of the wrappers were stuck to the paper. gosh they were good.

Tomorrow, doing similar except instead of wrappers, I am using pre-boiled cabbage leaves.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, a fraught morning for me as my car conked out on my way to do my volunteering. It was stuck at the top of my lane completely blocking the road. Bin day today so I had to go and fetch everyone’s recycling as the lorry couldn’t get down the lane. None of the neighbours could get out either - they were all v helpful getting jump leads etc. No idea what was up but it started again after 20 mins and I was able to get on my way.
Late lunch of olives, almonds and a wedge of blue cheese.
DGF blueberry and lemon drizzle cake with tea afterwards. Agree @Rachox and @shelley262 these are wonderful. I had a new delivery today too. So sorry about the difference in your day to what it should have been Shelley262, shifting all that gravel is rather rubbing salt into the wounds.
Dinner - a meat free day - DD keto mushroom and cheese frittata with salad. 1 glass red.
Glass of gin now to wind down. Car is booked into garage tomorrow - we have 1 week of its warranty left, phew!

Made the IP paneer using single cream, looks pretty good. Anybody know a use for all the whey? Apart from giving it to Dennis?

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast: nut granola, cauliflower and brocolli kedgeree
Coffee with half milk half cream.
Made the kedgeree yesterday. So microwave to warm it this morning, except that the microwave started and stopped several times in quick succession. More alarmingly the fridge did the same and all the lights were flickering too.
Stopped the microwave. Unplugged the fridge. We do have some problems with the electricity supply not being adequate. So I am used to resetting the fuses. Except that this time nothing had tripped out.
Followed standard procedure anyway, same result. Lots of flashing lights.and alerts from fridge. Called MrSlim who said call Andy. The helpful man who came and shoveled the drive clear. Andy said call Duncan. Gave me his number. It would not connect. Tried a couple of websites got other electricians numbers. Cannot get through on the phone to any of them. Turn phone off and back on again few mins later. Still not getting though. By now power has been off for a couple of hours. Am getting very stressed and to be frank borderline panic. Used to get panic attacks but not had one for some years now. I called Andy again and he tried calling Duncan, no joy. Apparently Duncan can be difficult to contact. Abandon that idea. Andy asks if there is a neighbour who might help. There are five houses here. Two are empty. Another I don't know them at all. They moved in after confinement. My nearest neighbour, who has a little English, will be at work. But in the next village are another couple i know slightly, who did make the usual offer, if you need anything...
They are the only game in town, so I walk down to their house. Not knowing if he will have any electrical expertise, but thinking he can at least call a french electrician. He was wonderful. When I arrived he was obviously still clearing up from the flood. But he came immediately with his testing kit. And it took about half an hour to find and sort out the problem. It was water in the outside light, from the storm. Twelve days ago. Had not caused any problem until now.
Had coffee.
Lunch frozen avocado with tomato and basil. Lettuce and black olives. I ate the whole tin while waiting for the avocado to defrost. Two slices of toast with butter and soft cheese.
Dinner was the other pork chop reheated gently and it was nice and tender. Celariac. Leeks ,brocolli and mushrooms. Yoghurt and mixed berries afterwards.
Feeling quite isolated. Not a very productive day Have been hiding in a book, drinking wine and sleeping in the shade.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Sardines on toast.
Dinner: Supermarket snags :meh:, veggies, gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Edit: Wow! one of the smileys has just made the profanity filter list when you post it, it shows in the choice list tho'...
0y4h3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

So microwave to warm it this morning, except that the microwave started and stopped several times in quick succession. More alarmingly the fridge did the same and all the lights were flickering too.
I found out fridges and microwaves are not compatible as well, good job I had a friendly electrician and insurance claim rep.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yay... no smoke this morning!! Yesterday, on the hottest day of the year so far, every one in this village was told to stay indoors with the windows shut because the local moor was on fire. Even with the windows shut it still managed to seep in somehow. Luckily (for this village) the wind direction has changed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-52737613I

Another old friend has died with the covid, RIP Angela. Seems to be hitting this part of Yorkshire quite badly at the moment.

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (banana this time)
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese
Dinner: lots of salad stuff to use up before my usual Asda delivery tomorrow - so salad with a cheese and mushroom omelette or, if I'm not in an eggy mood, it will be lentil, fennel and tomato salad

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum - thanks for that! Hubby is having scampi tonight and I was wondering what to have. Aubergine parmigiana it is now. @SlimLizzy - glad to read the clear up is progressing well. On my catch up, I've reached the measurements. I'm more like @Brunneria in that I tend to cook/bake by sight but I do swap back and forward between Imperial & metric. Very rarely have a disaster so it seems to work.
Tuesday bed 6.1 FBG also 6.1. It was a really odd day. Pretty much the same food as yesterday but BGs shot up to 11.6 four hours after I last ate and took another 4 hours to come back down.
B. Gardeners arrived so I was making bacon butties for them and Hubby. I had my usual TAG but with a slice of black pudding, 2 rashers of back bacon and a fried egg.
L. Couple of the GF crackers and a couple of Lidl's version of Dairylea triangles.
D. Remains of the beef Kung Po and cauli rice I made yesterday. A DGF hazelnut & chocolate.

@shelley262- Abbott do have a lot of questions which is why I just email them about a "rogue" but I do agree the are getting very efficient.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - Had cabbage left over from last evening so I fried it up with a chopped up sausage and fried an egg to put on top. Could have eaten more but I didn't have any more done, so I just had tea. Had breakfast early today because I had to go to collect the butcher's order.

In the butcher's order was a sensible sized lamb shank this time which I will slow cook and then do something with the meat this evening - probably with some veg and another egg. Should manage to get some stock out of it too to make a kind of Scotch broth - without the cereal content, of course.

Just had an e-mail to tell me that an old friend from when we lived in Dumbarton in the 60s has died with covid19. So sad, but I'm told she was peaceful so it wasn't the distressing kind of experience some seem to be suffering. I am glad of that at least. She is survived by 2 daughters - one a doctor, so she would be very aware of how it was going with her mother. That's the second of those close to us who have succumbed to this horrid thing.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast - Had cabbage left over from last evening so I fried it up with a chopped up sausage and fried an egg to put on top. Could have eaten more but I didn't have any more done, so I just had tea. Had breakfast early today because I had to go to collect the butcher's order.

In the butcher's order was a sensible sized lamb shank this time which I will slow cook and then do something with the meat this evening - probably with some veg and another egg. Should manage to get some stock out of it too to make a kind of Scotch broth - without the cereal content, of course.

Just had an e-mail to tell me that an old friend from when we lived in Dumbarton in the 60s has died with covid19. So sad, but I'm told she was peaceful so it wasn't the distressing kind of experience some seem to be suffering. I am glad of that at least. She is survived by 2 daughters - one a doctor, so she would be very aware of how it was going with her mother. That's the second of those close to us who have succumbed to this horrid thing.

Horrible, isn't it! So far, for me, its been the deaths of four friends and a few near misses plus quite a few who think they've had it but not bad enough to go to hospital and therefore haven't been tested.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@annabell1- beautiful pictures. I was speaking to one of my SILs in Aus yesterday morning and discussing the changes made to lockdown. Australia seems really to have got things right. @Chook - I'm having sleeping issues but I think a lot of that was due to the waves of this illness. Trying to get to sleep if you are breathless and sinuses are shot isn't easy. Glad to say I'm feeling lots better and I'm praying I don't relapse again. @Annb - you really are having a bad time. I suspect it has to be this flaming bug.
Wednesday bed 6.6 FBG 6.5. No weird and unexplained rises yesterday.
B. TAG and a couple of GF crackers with pate.
L. Nothing.
D. Made some chimichurri beef kebabs with mushrooms, peppers, onions and cooked in the air fryer with a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, walnuts, cheese. DGF strawberries and cream.

Took son to pick up an old wooden ladder which DIL is going to use as some kind of plant hanger. Only a journey of just under 4 miles and, guess what? Car started shuddering again. This time the engine didn't fail so I managed to nurse it there and back. I've told son that's it! Local shops only until the car is replaced. I should have had the replacement a week ago but with the dealerships closed goodness knows when it will be. Explains why I was dreaming about the car arriving last night.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy last couple of days so not sure when I last looked in. @SlimLizzy terrible day with the electrics such stress. Glad it got fixed. @Annb really hope you soon get better
Yesterday I had usual breakfast.
Lunch was ham salad.
Supper Bolognese and courgetti preceded by gin & soda.

Today usual breakfast.
Lunch scrambled eggs on slice HiLo toast.
Supper will be giant fishfingers and brocolli.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did the dim sum in cabbage leaves. This is definitely a keeper. I would picked a different cabbage if I had gone to the supermarket but it is a learning curve. It took us ages to do, we will become more proficient. Ate loads, no spike, celebrated with hotel chocolat.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can we get your recipe for it? I've never eaten dim sum but it sounds like something I want to try!
Minced pork, third of chopped prawns, spring onion very finely sliced, tablespoon of minced ginger. Teaspoon or so of toasted sesame oil. Add anything else you like. Mix altogether and leave in fridge. Make dipping sauce equal amounts of soy and rice vinegar, I leave out the sugar. Add chopped chilies. Put in the fridge. Boil cabbage leaves until cooked. Cool, add a spoonful of mixture to cabbage leaf, roll up an put into a steamer. Lots of info on the internet. Steam 8-10 minutes. Enjoy.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Chook and @Annb sorry to hear about your friends.

OMAD again today and dined in style. Discovered that my favourite local Turkish restaurant is open for takeaway (honestly, it’s such a big space they could easily open and have social distancing) so phoned in an order and strolled up in the sun - nice 15 minute walk - to collect a mixed grill - lamb chop, lamb rib, few pieces of kofte, couple of bits each of lamb shish and chicken shish, 2 chicken wings and a lamb kidney. Side of cacik, half of which is now in a lock and lock container the fridge. Yum! Used the containers rather than a plate to save on washing up!

Started work very early today, so off for an evening walk shortly.

22F6C364-05FD-4098-8611-61D9EB8C2E31.jpeg
EA24EA5A-3E5A-4B85-97C3-91CD261BC681.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook hugs heading your way - clearly south yorks is just seeing the peak at the moment, my younger brothers father in law in Barnsley area died of Covid yesterday night - he was in a care home where sadly a fair few have died over the past few days. Sad too as his mil has Alzheimer’s and has been struggling as not been able to visit him in the care home. Sad times and especially for those residing in care homes.
Meanwhile I’ve been pottering in the garden in the sun and got lots of plants planted today in pots and the garden - off out to water in a few mins.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg with half a slice of lc toast
Lunch cheese, celery and walnuts plus one super milk 65% hc choc baton
Dinner pork chop, celeriac chips, sprouts and mushroom sauce with glass dry white followed by lc raspberry mousse and yoghurt. Last of current batch need to do another lot tomorrow but will do lemon mousse to ring the changes!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook & Annb - sorry to hear about your friends. A friend of mine, his mother was taken into hospital 6 weeks ago with it. They were asked to sign a DNR and they refused. There has been a lot of reports of DNRs being requested for people with underlying conditions based on the guidance issued. Anyway, Doc's put her on palliative care and they were told to prepare for the worst. She was released yesterday - recovered (86 years old). I am also glad to report I've got through today with no relapse and no symptoms. Bed 6.2 FBG 7 3. It started a bit gloomy but the sun was soon back. No. 2 grandson will be 7 next week and his new bike for his birthday was delivered today. Dad has the job of assembly before Birthday.
B. TAG and a slice of GF black pudding, 2 rashers of back bacon and a fried egg.
L. 2 GF crackers and the last bit of the open pate.
D. Thanks @PenguinMum - aubergine parmigiana and like last time I put mortadella in it as well. DGF hazelnut and chocolate.

Latest from the boys Covid answers -

To protect yourself from the virus what do you think you should wear?

6 year old - A TShirt, hoodie, jacket, two pairs of socks, boots, two pairs of trousers, a hat....
Oh and a mask!

9 year old - Hazmat suit.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

It is seriously concerning how many people we all know who have been or are ill with C-19, and how many aren’t making it.
I see people comparing the risk to car accidents and suchlike, but how many people you know of have car accidents in a single 3 month period?

anyway, food:

Jambalaya for breakfast
Jambalaya for tea
No lunch needed